Author Topic: Kumoricon Vs. Japan  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Kumoricon Vs. Japan
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:44:02 am »
Or really any anime convention for that matter.....
Say, your favorite convention. If you had the choice between going to Japan or going to that con which would you do? You have to pay for the trip completely on your own, btw.

I'm both happy and sad cause my friend invited me to go with him to Japan the next time he visits his family there, which will be July 2009. I'm thinking... cool! *starts to look for job immediately and pulls back plans to move out on my own* Thinking we'll be there for like a week. Today, he sprung on me that we would be staying ALL of July, at LEAST. I think I practically fainted. Holding back on going to the Art University I wanted too in 2009, a minimum wage job, not moving out on my own, and not going to Kumoricon 2009 would still let me barely scrape by with that amount of money. So for right now it's looking like Kcon 08 will be my last tell Kcon 10. T___T at least.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: Kumoricon Vs. Japan
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:58:30 am »
Dude, if it's a choice between JAPAN or Kumoricon, choose Japan! that sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The only reason I would say stay would be your plans for Art School. Think of your education being interrupted before you consider the convention. Also if you can't get the funding to live comfortably, that's another reason not to go. I'm sure you can get it together though, 2009 is a long way off! I hope you're able to go!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:00:02 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:04:24 am »
If everything goes how I want it to I'll be going to Japan next year in March, which means no Sakura-con for me in '09. Not that big of a deal to me..because, well, it is Japan. Though your situation is different, especially with your school plans. Mine is just taking 2 weeks off from work. <.<
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:11:12 am »
i've been to Japan and I have been to  kumoricon
its like k-con is chocolat milk
Japan is strait chocolat
lets see i might feel a twinge on missing k-con...slight twinge..
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:35:44 pm »
Japan!  I'd be sad to miss a con I'd planned to go to, but I would definitly pick Japan. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:45:47 pm »
JAPAN.

Laurifer and I specifically aren't going to Sakura-con this year, so we can save up for our trip to Japan in June.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:29:03 pm »
JAPAN.

Laurifer and I specifically aren't going to Sakura-con this year, so we can save up for our trip to Japan in June.

*my head fills with dreams of massive Pocky Club Purchases*

I'll have to send some money your way.... <_<
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:36:27 pm »
Oh, we'll be buying LOTS of candy, Tom.  ;D (including Pocky of course!)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 02:06:26 pm »
Japan, definitely Japan.
Especially definitely when you consider a month in Japan with a friend and (I'm guessing) staying with his family over 3 days in Kumoricon.

I'm not going to lie to you, it's a bit of a shock at first when you realize you can't go to your favorite convention.  I felt something similar when I realized school started before Kumoricon in '07 and I was all set to help out in a skit, see friends, and everything.

Offline demonotaku

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 08:42:22 pm »
Kumoricon, because if i chose to go to japan I would want to be rich for I could do whatever I want to do there without worrying about going in to debt

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 09:54:51 pm »
I would choose Japan. I've been to Japan twice and been to Kumoricon twice, the former is a much better experience for a person interested in Japanese culture.

Now, I have some advice as to were you might be able to have your cake and eat it too.

If I understood your post right, you said that you'd be going with a friend to visit his family. Chances are you would be staying with said family then? That will cost you $0 (however, buy them gifts, which you could easily keep under $30) and you might even get a meal or two out of it.

Plane tickets, if you buy them in advance enough, look to be under $1400 (now, this was for July 1st 2008 to July 31st 2008, Expedia can't go out as far as necessary). That is a fairly decent price if you aren't paying room and board.

If you plan on traveling around Japan once you are there, buy a JR Rail Pass (about $100+ a week). I payed about $400 for my last JR Pass, and got about 300% of the value back from it (that was only when I calculated the 6 Shinkansen rides I took, and not for standard trains).

Food costs can be relatively inexpensive if you stay away from tourist traps and high-end places (don't worry, the best Japanese food is in small Mom & Pop places).

Where you are going to suffer is gifts for yourself and others. However, if you have self-disipline, keeping these costs low is easy. Just buy any presents not for yourself at the 100 Yen Store.

I would say you can comfortably travel in Japan on a budget of $2000 to $2500. This is a lot, but it is definitely cheaper than most do travel there with.

Here is another tip: Pre-reg for Kumoricon before December 31! 25 bucks usually. For hotel, get some friends together and split the cost. It is doable.

RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 11:43:41 pm »
LOL, I am in NO WAY self-discipline. Not when it comes to buying Japanese and Anime stuff, and least when I have my own money I am not, when I use someone else's like my parents I try to hold back. From what it sounds...

*I'd be paying for, 4 plane rides. 1 to Tokyo, from Tokyo to I think he said Osaka. Then back from Osaka to Tokyo, and back to Oregon.
*Food for a month (I can survive without breakfast usually)
*Travels around Japan (Bus, Subway)
*Pass-Port
*And then of course spending.

As far as my education goes, there would be no way I could go to Portland on my own and attend Art school there if I went on the trip. I want to get out of Salem and start school as soon as I can, but at the same time I could always stay here in Salem, and wait to get my associates of Art from Chemeketa before I go to get my Bachelors in Portland. Thing is that will take at least 2 years, meaning I wont even start at the 4 year university tell I'm 20 which is creepy to me, and then graduating from there at 24. Thats really creepy when your looking at it from a 17 year olds point of view. Also, my family has been known to go to Chemeketa and end up stuck there which is what Im afraid of.

School aside, I probably would feel a bit down when I was sitting at home and my sister and everyone was about to leave for Kcon, and I just sit at the computer like.... "doo dee doooo"

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:13:48 am »
I've been to Japan and Kumori Con, but I didn't have very much fun in Japan because of the people I was with. I'd like to go back someday with people I LIKE and do a TON of stuff there. I actually had plans to go a few years ago, but it didn't happen 'cause of money.

However, it may be possible for me to afford Kumori Con and to go to Japan during my spring break next year...

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:52:40 am »
If I were LIVING in Japan, I'd spend the money to come back for at least one con a year. And it would be KumoriCon. :)

If it's a choice between Japan and con, though, choose Japan. For the sole virtue that cons happen every year, and you'd have to be REALLY attached to them to give up a rare opportunity just so you don't miss a single one of them. Go to Japan! (Just be prepared...fan culture and popular reaction to it is QUITE different over there)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:26 am »
School aside, I probably would feel a bit down when I was sitting at home and my sister and everyone was about to leave for Kcon, and I just sit at the computer like.... "doo dee doooo"

We'll post to you from the Forum Meet Up panel!

Oooh, Osaka too? Now that's definitely worth the money.

I feel like I would have to take two trips to Japan to feel satisfied, one for the modern stuff and one for all the historical stuff.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:48 am »
If it helps you feel better, ask yourself, "What are the odds something like this is going to happen again?"

You have a chance to go to Japan for a month with a friend and visit Osaka and Tokyo.  It might be a long time before you get another chance to go on a trip like that.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 01:36:39 pm »

Oh yeah! I tottaly understand that! I wanna hit places like Harajuku and see the Tokyo late scene, go to the dance clubs, play pachinko and everything else in the city. Then another part of me wants to go out in the country, see a tea ceremoney, old shrines, relax in a hot spring, walk through gardens.

We'll post to you from the Forum Meet Up panel!

Oooh, Osaka too? Now that's definitely worth the money.

I feel like I would have to take two trips to Japan to feel satisfied, one for the modern stuff and one for all the historical stuff.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:52:47 pm »
Jaz will have to help me out here because I can't fully remember the name, but there is a store called Animation (I think) and it's full of anime stuff.  There's one in Ikebukuro (Tokyo), Akihabara (Tokyo), and somewhere in Kyoto.

In advance I'm sorry for making you broke. ^^;;

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 10:13:14 pm »
LOL, I am in NO WAY self-discipline. Not when it comes to buying Japanese and Anime stuff, and least when I have my own money I am not, when I use someone else's like my parents I try to hold back. From what it sounds...

*I'd be paying for, 4 plane rides. 1 to Tokyo, from Tokyo to I think he said Osaka. Then back from Osaka to Tokyo, and back to Oregon.
*Food for a month (I can survive without breakfast usually)
*Travels around Japan (Bus, Subway)
*Pass-Port
*And then of course spending.

With these finer details, I stress this even more: JR Rail Pass. I believe a lot of the subways in Osaka (and Tokyo) are JR Lines, which the pass covers, and it would be much cheaper (from my experiences) to use the JR Rail Pass to get on a Bullet Train (which they cover, even for reserved seating) and go to Osaka from Tokyo than it would be to fly there (it just might take longer, but you'll see more of Japan this way). Your friend might not be able to get one if they are a Japanese citizen (only Gaijin like ourselves can purchase them).

Here is the first site Google produced for the pass: http://www.kintetsu.com/jrpass/?gclid=CIyC3fa_wJECFRUmawoda3jKCg

It may seem like a lot of money, but it is unbelievably worth it.

I also suggest you look into bus passes for Osaka as well, which will work to cut down your costs as well.

Even if Japan cannot happen in the same year as school, you can reduce the damage to your fianances Japan would cause with the JR Rail Pass.

I also offer this advice: Don't shop on Akihabara's main street. I just saved you a wad of cash. Akihabara is a tourist trap. A wonderful, beautiful, anime-tastic tourist trap. They have a lot of great stores, but their prices all suffer from price elevation if they're on the main Electric City street. Shopping around is the best way to attack Akiba, as something from Store A will definitely cost less at Store C, you just have to be controlling and look.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 11:12:59 pm »
Jaz will have to help me out here because I can't fully remember the name, but there is a store called Animation (I think) and it's full of anime stuff.  There's one in Ikebukuro (Tokyo), Akihabara (Tokyo), and somewhere in Kyoto.

the store's name is animete, in the ichinichi spopping district i belive yay they rock

also they have punch card so you buy 200 wouth stuff get 10$ free also book-off used cds and anime sound track dirt cheap

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:56 am »

the store's name is animete, in the ichinichi spopping district i belive yay they rock

also they have punch card so you buy 200 wouth stuff get 10$ free also book-off used cds and anime sound track dirt cheap
That's the name.  I couldn't remember if it was Animation (Anime + nation) or Animate/Animite/Animete (Anime + something that sounds like a stone).
And good idea on the book-off suggestion.  They have lots of used manga and CDs including some really hard to find older manga.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 03:00:53 am »
Wow guys thanks for all the advice
I'll definetly look into getting that pass. I don't care how long something takes, as long as I can avoid a plane. I am NOT looking forward to being in a plane, especially over the pacific ocean. It's like a bunch of my fears in one trip. Heights, Dieing, Drowning... *shivers* creepy... My friend isn't a citizen but I think his mom is.

And I'll avoid the tourist traps.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 08:51:17 pm »
If you're looking for a good travel guide, try this one~

http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Japan-Chris-Rowthorn/dp/1740599241/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202963662&sr=1-1

The info is pretty up-to-date and it has alot of good information. And if you're going to be around just the Tokyo area, they also have a guidebook just for Tokyo~

http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Tokyo-Kara-Knafelc/dp/1740594509/ref=pd_sim_b_img_4

I like the Lonely Planet guidebooks (as they are also tied to my favorite travel show, Globe Trekker ^_^) because it kind of takes you off the beaten tourist path.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 09:21:01 pm »
I really want a rail pass but it's so...expensive D:

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 07:53:48 pm »

A Shinkansen ticket costs an average of about $150 to $200. It it probably more towards the latter for Tokyo to Osaka.

A JR pass costs about $250 for a week and provides for unlimited rides on any JR Rail line. As my friend put it, "these things are great, I used mine 12 times in a week." Which would have cost him about $2400, not including the regular trains he took. I used mine for about 8 Bullet train rides and countless regular train rides (the Yamanote line, the one that wraps around Tokyo's hot spots, can add up fast).

In short, you save in the long run.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 09:17:28 pm »
that is if you want to go to tokyo you dont have to, what part of japan is his family in?
(of course anyone would want to go to tokyo but there many other places in japan just as lovely)

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 09:28:12 pm »

A Shinkansen ticket costs an average of about $150 to $200. It it probably more towards the latter for Tokyo to Osaka.

A JR pass costs about $250 for a week and provides for unlimited rides on any JR Rail line. As my friend put it, "these things are great, I used mine 12 times in a week." Which would have cost him about $2400, not including the regular trains he took. I used mine for about 8 Bullet train rides and countless regular train rides (the Yamanote line, the one that wraps around Tokyo's hot spots, can add up fast).

In short, you save in the long run.

Hmm well I think we're just planning to visit Tokyo just for one weekend, considering we're staying in Kyoto. Are there anything like 3 or 4 day unlimited passes? Cos I really don't see the need for a week-long one if I don't have the time and thus wasting money.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 10:17:46 pm »
Well, if you're staying in Kyoto and want to go to Tokyo for a weekend, the pass might still be a good way to go.

Say you land in Narita. The JR Pass covers the Narita express, which will take you into Tokyo. Then you can continue on to Kyoto. Come back to Tokyo later that week by Bullet Train (with in the pass time limit) and you'll have already recieved about 200% out of the pass for what you paid for just a week.

The cheapest ticket into Kyoto from Tokyo is the night train for about 175 USD (round trip I believe).

One thing I really liked about the JR Rail pass is the fact you don't have to buy tickets, which can be a hassle. You just show the pass to that attendant at the far side of the ticket gates and walk on through. Easy to use.

You would have to look into >7 day passes though, they might exist, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:21:48 pm by AzuKyo »

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 01:15:39 pm »
I see...I guess I should ask the people who are coordinating the trip since I don't know what expenses will be covered other than the ones listed on the website (MHCC tuition for 5 transfer credits, 30 hrs classroom instruction, Round trip airfare, 20 nights lodging, 5 field trips) so it'll probably be smart to ask before I buy. Seems like they only have 7, 14, and 21 day passes D: I hope my parents would think it's a sensible amount to pay lol

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 03:07:08 pm »
Well, I'd pick the con unless I had a huge excess of money to spend playing video games in Japan, because that's the only reason I go to Kumoricon, and the only reason I'd want to be in Japan would be to play BeatMania II DX 14th style, get an e-amuse card for SN2, and get a bunch of Japanese video games and a PSP Camera without having to pay twice as much for them.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 10:40:09 pm »
I see...I guess I should ask the people who are coordinating the trip since I don't know what expenses will be covered other than the ones listed on the website (MHCC tuition for 5 transfer credits, 30 hrs classroom instruction, Round trip airfare, 20 nights lodging, 5 field trips) so it'll probably be smart to ask before I buy. Seems like they only have 7, 14, and 21 day passes D: I hope my parents would think it's a sensible amount to pay lol

I would check how much free-time you get. If you don't get a lot, then a JR Pass wouldn't be the best thing to get (I didn't realize you were going on a set educational trip). It would be best to get a pre-paided "fast pass" (I can't remember for the life of me what they are called, they're green credit-card like things with a penguin on them) to make traveling by subway and train easier. These passes just have you load money onto them (as much as desired) and then you can just tap them on the gates to pay for a ticket. They're super convenient.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2008, 06:02:57 pm »
Ah i didn't realize they have fast passes...I'll have to look into that

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D: