21 (46.7%)
Store cosplay because I can't sew
3 (6.7%)
Handmade even if it looks bad, it still shows chara love
5 (11.1%)
Doesn't matter.
14 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Purchased versus Homemade cosplay  (Read 6398 times)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Purchased versus Homemade cosplay
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:05:04 pm »
Hello, everyone! I've been thinking about this for a good while now, and especially with the con just around the corner, I'm curious to what you guys think in possibly a friendly debate or just perspective posts.

To keep it friendly, please follow these rules:
1) No flaming, please! If someone contradicts your opinion, and you don't like it, you can retort kindly with your own ideas or just ignore their posts.
2) Do not attack handmade or purchased cosplay. For example, please no: "**** cosplay f-ing sucks a-!" Trolling is bad. Please don't troll.
3) I'm not including weaponry. This is strictly costume, wigs included if you feel necessary.

The question at hand: Which do you all prefer or think is "better": purchased or handmade cosplay?
Purchased includes buying the bulk of your costume at a store, paid by professional, eBay, etc.
Handmade includes going out to fabric stores, buying materials, and making it by yourself or your friend.

If necessary,  I will update this post with further clarification if something pops up.

Thanks very much, all!
-Lychee
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: Purchased versus Homemade cosplay
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:24:24 pm »
hmm well i did buy one of my costumes this year because im running short on time.
but ussualy i personally think handmade is better. you get to give it a personal feel and can fit it for your body yourself and you wont run into my problem where it comes to big.

and it ussualy helps a lot knowing youve done it yourself and its your costume and your the only one wearing it considering that no one else will be running around in the same costume.

but on the other hand purchesed ones can also be good quality depending where you get them, personal taylord ones can be fantastic because they are profeshional made and often times use GREAT fabric choices.

thats my two cence
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:52:13 pm »
I don't think it matters much. HOWEVER. If you're going to buy a costume, make sure you spend the extra money for a good one.
Making costumes are nice, too. So long as you have the time, skill, and dedication to do so.

Unfortunately I can't sew, and lack the equipment to do so. A friend usually helps me out, that or I buy my costumes.
As for wigs though, I just by a good quality one and style it myself.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

oslapedo

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:27:53 pm »
I have a) no sewing machine and b) no skillz so buying cosplay is the only option for me :D I appreciate bought and made cosplay though, the best thing to me is not how great the costume looks but how well the character being cosplayed is protrayed.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:32:01 pm »
I feel more accomplished after making a costume. I have never bought a costume so far....just pieces to one. I think it shows how much skill you have. My opinion is that if you are going to buy a costume you better make a damn good character. Some people buy the costumes and all they are is a person wearing the costume instead of the character. They don't try at all...then there are others who take pride in the character wither they bought it or made it.

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:43:07 pm »
I think it doesnt matter either way. I personally choose to make all of my costumes, but I think as long as you give credit to who made your costume its fine to buy them!
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline Jarnan

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:50:06 pm »
I have 0 skill in craft/arts stuff, never really had the inclination for it either, so buying is my option. However, more power to folks who make their own, especially if its obvious that they put time and effort into it.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:03:31 pm »
Also the problem is that a lot of the costumes I want to do, they don't sell....I couldn't find an albel anywhere. They just recently came out with the version of Temari I am doing and it was almost $100 O.O

I spent about $20 on it (if even that). Thank God for Goodwill ^_^ The most expensive thing was the headband that I got at Hottopic.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:04:02 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 07:18:36 pm »
I personally like both.  I wish I could make my own cosplay but I lack the skills and patience for it.  I tried once and failed so I tried with help and it still turned out awful.  So now I just buy all my cosplay hoping one day to get better at it.  It sucks because it means I spend like...100$ or so on the outfits I want and for very good quality ones even more than that.  But for me, it's just having the cosplay that makes it fun.  True, handmade you have that heart into it and you can proudly wear it knowing you really did your best.  Even if it is awful, you made it and that's good enough.  Too bad for me, I'm picky.  XD

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:07:25 pm »
I don't think it matters truly.  Cosplay isn't *really* about showing off your sewing skills or how much money you can spend- it's about loving the character you're dressed as and having fun. 

If you think that a cosplay is amazingly out of your reach as far as homemade goes, and you truly are dedicated to that character- buy it.  Just be sure to award credit where credit is due.  While I admire fans who make every piece of their cosplay from scratch- I understand those who want a professionally created outfit. 

Personally, I love to do a combination of the two.  Buying base pieces online or at the local Goodwill and just altering them is my favorite form of cosplay.  Not only can it save a lot of money, but it works for those of us who don't possess the time or skill to begin from nothing.

IMO.   ;D
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:19:06 pm »
I sew by hand, and really would prefer bought costumes because unlike me- the professionals have sewing machines and are willing to sew up hems and stuff which I just haaaate.

Bought costumes also tend to have better fabrics than the ones you make yourself- cause you're too paranoid to ruin them.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 09:00:54 am »
Bought costumes also tend to have better fabrics than the ones you make yourself- cause you're too paranoid to ruin them.

Really?  Are you talking commissioned or mass-produced?  Because in my experience, the mass-produced stuff tends to have worse fabrics.  It may be that I'm very particular about my fabric choices and will go out and spend a little more if that's what it takes to get what I want, but I'll take what I pick over purchased most days.

I prefer handmade cosplays because I think they tend to be better, whether it's you making them or a commission.  Something that's made to fit you will always look better than something more generic.  Beyond that, I like to see things that the cosplayer has made him or herself, because it's fun to see what people can do, and learning something new in the course of a hobby is always a bonus.

I have one cosplay I intend to buy eventually, and that's simply because I don't think I can make a Rikkai tennis jersey. :3  Aside from that, I've bought hakama because I epic failed at trying to do the pleats correctly on mine, but that and shoes are really about it for purchases.  And for most of what I do, I don't have the Goodwill option because it's either dead wrong or not close enough for my neuroses.  :D

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:18:50 pm »
If you enter in the contest, handmade.  It seems sort of weird that you should win an award for something somebody else made.

I like handmade because, imo, they look better and are made with care, not just mass produced.  There seems to be a lack of detail with store bought, too.  I have a Naruto jacket, but I'd never cosplay in it!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 02:31:29 pm »
I think for cosplay contest the costume has to be at least 70% homemade....at least it was at Sakuracon

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 03:20:12 pm »
if its mass produced i dont think its elidgbel for costume contest but i think if some one (like a friend) made it personaly for you it still counts.... not sure. o.o

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 05:44:42 pm »
If you're wearing a costume a friend made, the friend and the costume gets the award - not you.

Well most comissioned ones. I bought a very nice elegant costume from a friend and the fabric she used were amazing. Very nice quality, durable enough to withstand a con, but not enough to make you really whine about oh "I bought it and they used bad fabrics".

I'm like that with most bought costumes I see that have a shiney sheen to them when they shouldn't. Like most Sora costumes have this shiney glow to them from the materials they use. That just irritates me to no end.
Kumori'15

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 06:33:50 pm »
I don't particularly care if its handmade or not, but the characters I always want to do are not generic and I always have to have them commissioned for me. I like some professional ones, because I can get them for a good price. I always research the people I buy from to make sure it would be made with good quality fabrics, etc.

However, this year I've found out just how hard it is to make a cosplay by hand completely. I got a good deal on my fabrics, and its a really nice one too, but it takes a lot of dedication to produce something nice. I've worked hard, and its completely from scratch, and I'm very proud of it... I wouldn't have done it if I had known there was some place where I could have gotten it... but oh well.

I think they are both equal, and its just up to the person.

Offline GoddessOfTechno

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 07:01:11 pm »
I am a beginning sewer (I have only made one summer dress and a prom dress...), so I have a dressmaker make all of my costumes. She's great and its better that way until i stop becomnig a procrastinator. I would love to someday make my own. If any one lives in Seattle. You should contact Denise of Sew That. She's cheap and reliable.

I personally do not like buying costumes online because I have bought Maid costumes off ebay and the pictures they show and the product you receive in the mail are completely different. I feel that those sellers are making up fake accounts to give them such high feedback. So I have tailored at least 3 dresses that I have bought off of ebay. Sadness. o_O...

I buy some costumes off of cosmates.jp but it's hard to find my size since my bust is 42" and they are all japanese costumes...

So, in essence, I believe in handmade costumes.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 07:45:55 pm »
I have make all of my kids costumes, which are not the best in the world but they have fun helping me make them.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 07:50:40 pm »
I have make all of my kids costumes, which are not the best in the world but they have fun helping me make them.

your kids are lucky xD

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 07:53:37 pm »

your kids are lucky xD
Thanks. But why do you say so?

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 07:56:45 pm »
cause they have a dad who is actualy into anime, and makes them costumes, and seems nice xD

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 08:00:09 pm »
I have liked anime since they were real little, so for them watching anime is as common as watching cartoon network. I do think it is great that me and my kids have something in common that we can do together. Cons are our family vacations.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 09:21:51 pm »
That's awsome. My mom keeps hoping I'll one day grow out of anime xD;
Kumori'15

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 09:45:08 pm »
my mom thinks its trying to brainwash me -o-

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »
I wish my parents would get into all this with me. I want to have something to share with them like you do.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 10:00:05 pm »
My mother's always been interested in Anime. She has a tattoo of CCS that I drew when I was a Sophmore in high school. She would always watch the Anime's with me, and she's been really supporting of my Cosplays and the cons I attend.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 10:01:35 pm »
My parents are supportive....I kinda want to get them involved though. I want to dress them up ^_^

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 10:02:08 pm »
lucky jerks -o- i have a hard time getting my mom to let me go to uwajis for books let alone cons... that takes my own savings and talking with dad so its already set up before she catchs wind of it

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:10 pm »
That would be fun to dress parents up. Although I don't think they'd find it as entertaining as we do. Unless they were like Higuma and were the ones that got their kid into it.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 10:06:45 pm »
nah one of my friends Rune who has a dad who wont he cossplay contest for his Juriya last year xD im contimplating getting my dad into a costume next year...

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 10:32:25 pm »
- - i have a very complicated view on this topic really xD . See my kairi pink dress was bought but i then got it fitted ( because ebay outfits are usually too large )  & added so many details and such that i almost feel as if i made it , but i would never claim to have made the basic outfit of course . It's just like i used the outfit i ordered as an outline and then went from there since this is my first more serious cosplay & i knew it would turn out better since i don't have much sewing experience . From an outfit that wasn't perfectly to my standards i altered & added to it till it was . It's now completely done & i'm very proud of it regardless of what anyone says . If you were to compare it to what it started from you could tell how much work , money , & time i put in to it and thats what matters to me n__n .

x; i'll just take the route that results in the best cosplay really .
i plan on sewing the cosplays i have planned for next year but if i could do what i did with my kairi pink dress & just add and improve on a already made cosplay then i would if it would result with the best looking cosplay i could do ~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 10:42:36 pm »
I am all for buying clothes and altering them to fit your needs. I do it all the time. Did it with all of my costumes so far ^_^

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 10:45:49 pm »
Kairi i cant wait to see your costume :3 the picture of the charm alone was fantastic im betting the rest looks just as great

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 11:17:22 pm »
^ - - Aww thank you so much i hope it lives up to your expectations >u< , btw i did end up using super glue to add the crown thing to the middle so it's completely done as well . It looks like its holding but i'm still protecting it like its my child xD !

x; & i've been reading about your kairi dress problems so i do hope you've figured out something to do to make you happy with it owo !
is someone going to alter it at the con for you . . ? ahh i forget what i read about what you've decided to do >w< .

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 11:29:11 pm »
xD oh yeah thats been floating about the forums, yeah we figured out what to do

Dana is gonig to be fricken awsome and fix it for me at the con, as long as i store her sewing machine in my hotel room for the day, so sadly no one but dana will get to see how it looks finished untill the day of >:

im intending to take dana to the dealers room and buy her something special and a treat from neko pan bakery if they are there again this year

and im glad its staying in place i need to find you and take a picture of you at the con >w<

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 11:52:25 pm »
You guys all have great opinions! On both sides its bringing up points I haven't thought of. Whee this is fun :D

As for me with the parental bit, my parents are confused about cosplay and anime, but they like seeing what I make. I had to ask my mom for help this year with sewing my vest. She helped last year, too. I make about %95 of my costumes myself lately (except Alphonse), only asking for help if I'm on a time crunch. This year is particularly bad since I agreed to help my friend out with her Mass Effect armor for Tali. It's fun, for sure, but still a lot to add on. My parents just roll with whatever I do in the end, even if they don't understand. That's perfectly fine with me :)
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 04:38:58 am »
Handmade all the way.  A lot more care is put into it, and there's almost no chance of messing up the measurements if you know what you're doing.  For one of my first serious cosplays, I bought it for over a hundred bucks on eBay, and the arms were too short, the fabric was weird fakey velvet instead of cotton, straps were too long (and hard to fix now since they're on elastic), a REALLY awful lace was used around the collar and other trims, and there was bad quality ribbon...

I'm thinking 99% of the cosplay they sell on eBay stores is made by people who haven't watched more than one episode of the series (if even that much), who(m?) just dug up a few refs on google.cn of popular characters. 

That being said though, I wish I had worked on my third outfit sooner!  Con time is almost here and I still have to finish a jacket... I'm considering taking a boot cover I need to work on to my two doctors' appointments tomorrow to hand baste it. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Kurosaki.Isshin

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:33 pm »
I personally like the feeling when someone says nice coustume and you work hard on making it yourself instead of buying on....
Cosplays for K-con

Saturday - Kurosaki Isshin - Bleach
Sunday - Dr. Franken Stein - Soul Eater
Monday - Dr. Franken Stein - Soul Eater *Knight in Team Red*

Offline Ryanne_monday

• Cabbit
    • My myspace
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 11:32:05 pm »
Personally, I love to do a combination of the two.  Buying base pieces online or at the local Goodwill and just altering them is my favorite form of cosplay.  Not only can it save a lot of money, but it works for those of us who don't possess the time or skill to begin from nothing.

Totally agree. This year was my first attempt at sewing in general. I had a store bought Cloud Strife costume and got to tear it apart and rebuild it - learning from what I could tell on the costume. I feel that I'm actually decent now, I can not only thread a sewing machine now but hem like it's nobody's buisness!
ha ha, KH grammar joke...heh
FINAL FANTASY SEVEN FORUM

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
Personally, I don't feel it matters. You dress up as a cosplay character to show your love for that character and to have fun, not to show off your uber sewing skills. At least that's how I feel, anyway.

I can see both points, though. Putting your own outfit together makes your outfit more "personal" and you "know it better". But it doesn't necessarily show that you're more dedicated to a character or anime series than someone else, nor shows that you love your character more than someone who bought their costume does.
Whether you buy or make your costume it doesn't show that you love your character or are dedicated to that character any more than anyone else is. Isn't cosplaying all just about having fun, anyway? Why bash someone because they didn't have the time to sew, can't sew, didn't want to sew, were unable to sew, or found it cheaper to buy the outfit already made? I think that's disrespectful. After all, they're still there in costume, cospalying a character they love, and are having fun. Isn't that was cosplay is all about?

I've done both, though. I've made a costume (though it wasn't an anime cosplay, it was Star Wars, and I'm working on another), and I've also bought a costume from a costumer on Ebay.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:13:36 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)