Author Topic: Masquerade Review Thread  (Read 17685 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Masquerade Review Thread
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:38:09 am »
So, now that the Masquerade is all wrapped up, what did people think?

It looked like people were having a good time :)

Also, if people have pictures, feel free to post them up here. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: Masquerade Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 02:39:04 am »
I had a good time, actually it was a pleasant evening.

1.)  Start on time, the dance lesson was already going when people were still waiting outside freezing to get in.

2.)  Dance lesson would be better be better with a lead and a follow teaching each part at the same time.

3.)  Was it just me or were some of the same songs played several times over?  Maybe invest in a bigger music library.

I hope that K-con puts on another one of these before the year is out, there was some really good turn out!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 03:10:53 am »
I'm relatively sure that pictures would be accepted the same way for this as they are for Kumoricon 2007.  CD/DVD's at the next meetings, or uploading the files.  I want to let users do things with the photos, but there are a few projects I've been thinking about off and on, and recently proposed the basic ideas of to Jeff.  I think that they will make it far easier to create something really useful and for everyone to use it.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline PockyReno

• Chibi
    • My DA Account
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:09:51 pm »
It was really fun. ^^ Even though I sucked at learning the dances, it was still fun to try, and I think the dance lessons were a really good idea. Although, even though it was a formal ball, I think there could have been a few more upbeat songs, instead of just classical music. Also, maybe some more songs from anime. XD It was awesome when the Hare Hare Yukai song came on, props to everyone who knew the dance and danced along to it. ^^
Kumoricon 2013:
Reno - FFVII Advent Children
Secret Police Kaito - Vocaloid
My Mayor - Animal Crossing New Leaf

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:13:18 pm »
I thought it was fun. There were some up and down times, though. I'd be bored for a little bit, and then something interesting would come on, and I'd be dragged in to dance. ~.~

AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Ed_Elric

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 05:05:03 pm »
Sounds like it was the same for a lot of ppl thought that the lessons where good, I tend to freak out when in that kind of place, not my forte if ya get me... I had fun though gave me a chance to talk and just hang... though later on I got a bit tired and loopy ruk don't really tend to stay at functions like that, when I do go, for 6 hours, m'date said the same...  And I agree to the othes, a little more up beat stuff would be cool, Just gotta mix it up.. classical for the slow dancin' and waltzey stuff... Pop/Rock/Techno... for to wake people up and get da blood flowin.  But overall it was well put together even though the space was limited and the turn out was... less than I previously thought... ^_^

8/10  good job to thoe who put it all together,  AND I got my picture taken so Pwease dont stick me in the silor moon viewing room this year Jakie  PLZ PLZ PLZ!!  :'(  I like my bwains.

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:20 pm »
9,000 times better than the one at the con (hee hee, 9,000 get it?). I was saddened to find that a lot of good dance music from the final fantasy games was missing. A tad on the long side, but everything else was awesome.
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 08:29:55 pm »
I want to see the pictures, gaiz.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 09:07:37 pm »
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/blackjackrocket/Kumori%20Con%20Dance%2008/ There's my pictures!

I wish they'd covered more dances than just variations on the waltz, but overall it was a fun time.

Offline PockyReno

• Chibi
    • My DA Account
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 11:43:44 am »
Heh, me and my friends are not in any of them. ^^'' Oh well.
Kumoricon 2013:
Reno - FFVII Advent Children
Secret Police Kaito - Vocaloid
My Mayor - Animal Crossing New Leaf

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 11:52:33 am »
So, there are three things I can see that we could do differently.

One - Start checking in people sooner.  Sorry about that, we only got access to the hall about 2 hours before we opened.  I should have thought more about getting that going sooner.  And, since I was con registration staff, I have NO excuse for not running dance registration better.  

Two - A bit more structure.  6 hours is a long time.  Lessons, awards and Hare Hare Yukai helped give the evening some structure.  But, several times when I went up there it looked like alot of people were sitting around hoping to be asked to dance.   Things seemed to be going best when people were dancing in big group circles.  

Still, finding some good ways to help get people paired up, or grouped up, or interacting more would be good.  

Three - Try to not underestimate how much Ramune you people will buy.  We ran out in, what, under two hours?  

I am glad so many people came.  I got to see some great outfits :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 02:05:34 pm »
Heh, found my way into three photos somehow. I guess I was the last pic she took that night cuz I'm the first in her album.
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »
oh wow those are some really cool costumes that people make i epscualy like the white dress
what was the atendence for the event?
glad you all had fun :)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Arugala_Princess

• Oni
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:52:38 pm »
Mew it was a wonderful time! Me and my friends had a blast. If anyone knows the person who was dressed as the Jester, I am looking for him, if you got a way to contact him.
Kumoricon 07 - Sexy no Jutsu Chouji

I am the Arugala Princess, get down and bow!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 07:57:05 pm »
oh wow those are some really cool costumes that people make i epscualy like the white dress
what was the atendence for the event?
glad you all had fun :)

We had 111 paid attendees.  The unpaid admissions, like masq staff, was likely another 30 or so people.  
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:44 pm »
I thought it wasa lotsa lotsa fun! I also did notice the repeat songs sometimes, but it didn't happen too often. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren't any problems with the dress code (and everyone looked gorgeous ^_^). And the decorations were lovely.

One suggestion I would have is have more events or more stuff for people to do. I did notice alot of people sitting down on the benches (but I attribute that to hurting feet- I know mine were killing me by the end of the evening) and it looked like a high school dance. I do think that could have been partly helped by having faster songs every now and then (but nothing like techno or dance music). Maybe have like a dancing contest. Or maybe have like a mask-making workshop while the dance is going on (though if masks are required, I don't know why people would be making another mask, but it give the attendees something else to do ^_^).

Overall, I think the night was a great success!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:19 pm »
I dont know about the rest of the yojimbo but I felt way outa place LOL. Probably my fault for not looking into the layout and planning for the night well ahead of time but it was difficult to keep stations manned because everyone wanted to dance LOL.

On the upside, I avoided every camera, (i think) so no mobster kylite!

One note, I am sorry to anyone who complained that the yojimbo did NOT have masks on but we did need a full field of vision and masks limit that terribly. We did have permission from ops well ahead of time to clear this but apparently not everyone was in the loop.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 11:04:22 pm »
I dont know about the rest of the yojimbo but I felt way outa place LOL. Probably my fault for not looking into the layout and planning for the night well ahead of time but it was difficult to keep stations manned because everyone wanted to dance LOL.

On the upside, I avoided every camera, (i think) so no mobster kylite!

One note, I am sorry to anyone who complained that the yojimbo did NOT have masks on but we did need a full field of vision and masks limit that terribly. We did have permission from ops well ahead of time to clear this but apparently not everyone was in the loop.

We'll just paint your faces next time.  That'll solve the mask problem ;)

I am glad the yojimbo staff did get a chance to dance and have fun. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 01:58:07 pm »
I know there were a few girls taking pictures of my date and I sitting on the bench, thinking we didn't notice. I did, so I held up the peace sign. I want to see those. XD
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 04:41:54 pm »
I wanna see photos! I wanna see if anyone got me looking like a fool on the dance floor! ;D

And to get a little off-topic, this proves that you can ballroom dance to ANYTHING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBi6yR-PAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-nH0G6t0Y

And I guess it's also kind of an argument for faster music.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:45:18 pm by AnimeMatrix »

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 06:00:37 pm »
I know there were a few girls taking pictures of my date and I sitting on the bench, thinking we didn't notice. I did, so I held up the peace sign. I want to see those. XD

AAACTUALLY, we were taking pics of the people dancing in front of you, and only realized shortly afterwards that you were you were throwing up the peace sign. THEN we snapped a few photos of youse. Theeeen we deleted the majority of the pictures, because the camera was of poor quality. In conclusion, there are no such pictures, so, uh, our bad.

Also, three lovely ladies took my picture (apparently I was some sort of dance ninja?), so I would love to see my pic if it's any good. Eh? Eh?

Anyway! The dance was the most fun dance I've ever been to, which isn't saying a lot, but props to all! It was good times, indeed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:41:49 pm by Winfred »

Offline Roxas24

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 02:14:43 pm »
I thought the turn out was great,I didnt expect that many to come. And maning hte coat closet was a thrilling experience specially when it came to teasing people about loosing there coats lol and although the music could have been better, it was a Ball so techno wouldnt have been! appropriatie.It was fun all in all, I made some new friends *Jester* Akward O__O ...... rofl rofl  and I cant wait for the one in summer... well if it happens that is~?! Heck yeah for Tango lessons ^___^ lol
I got it memorized.

Kumoricon 2010 cosplays:
Moogle
Sheena TOS

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 03:02:27 pm »
I had a good time working in the custom-judging dept. Many of you were very nicely dressed, kudos to you!

Offline Redigieren

• Oni
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 08:32:21 am »
I appreciate the songs mostly being of a ball room genre.   I agree it was '9000' times better than the last because of the songs.  The dance lessons in the beginning were really well taught.  Thank you instructor!  I would love to see the benches having spike strips next time so people can't sit down. =P

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 12:25:31 am »
where are the professional pics that were taken? I know they had a website for it but where?
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 01:44:36 am »
The masquerade ball was fun for the most part, but I felt out of place, and the fact that we yojimbo had special clearance to not wear masks yet people tried to force the issue made our job difficult.  For any future events that will require masks please keep in mind that yojimbo rules say we are generally not allowed to wear masks while on duty (although compromises can be made for future events such as this), as it obstructs our field of vision.  Especially in a room without very much lighting. 
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 10:08:26 am »
The professional photos will be up on our website soon (I gave them to Jeff at the last general meeting to post).  The mask issue will be clarified for future events.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 05:26:05 am »
The masquerade ball was fun for the most part, but I felt out of place, and the fact that we yojimbo had special clearance to not wear masks yet people tried to force the issue made our job difficult.  For any future events that will require masks please keep in mind that yojimbo rules say we are generally not allowed to wear masks while on duty (although compromises can be made for future events such as this), as it obstructs our field of vision.  Especially in a room without very much lighting. 

Might I suggest reserving a specific look and style of special mask for the Yojimbo, which is sort of a mask, but doesn't have those problems?  Something like an ABNU (sp) mask from Naruto, but with much larger eye-holes comes to mind.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 04:16:35 pm »

Might I suggest reserving a specific look and style of special mask for the Yojimbo, which is sort of a mask, but doesn't have those problems?  Something like an ABNU (sp) mask from Naruto, but with much larger eye-holes comes to mind.
I agree that something of this nature should be done..because I know if I'm going to staff an event like this it would kind of be important for me to fit it, yojimboing or not.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 11:37:37 pm »
I think it would have been nice if there had been one or two awards specifically judged on dancing. Not, like, as competitive as Dancing With the Stars, but just some sort of nod to people who really looked forward to the dancing bit. :)

Did we have a Best Couple of any sort? I forget. If not, there should be. Ballroom tends to put focus on couples.

Other than that, everything else I might change is purely personal preference, so I won't ruffle any feathers about it. Good job guys. :) By the way, what did the banners say?... My kanji was too rusty to recognize most of it.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 08:23:05 pm »
I think it would have been nice if there had been one or two awards specifically judged on dancing. Not, like, as competitive as Dancing With the Stars, but just some sort of nod to people who really looked forward to the dancing bit. :)

Did we have a Best Couple of any sort? I forget. If not, there should be. Ballroom tends to put focus on couples.

Other than that, everything else I might change is purely personal preference, so I won't ruffle any feathers about it. Good job guys. :) By the way, what did the banners say?... My kanji was too rusty to recognize most of it.

We had talked about dance awards, but I was too busy to really get a chance to watch dancing enough to get a feel for who was good.  We did have a best couple. 

Since the dance was near Setsubon, many had the traditional phrases of "Oni Out" and "Good Luck In".  The really complicated looking ones were copies of a ofuda used in Sailor Moon by one of the scouts.  I wanted to make more anime-based banners, but it was hard to get good images of what ofuda actually said.  Well, except in a few CLAMP manga but there is NO WAY I was going to attempt those :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 02:24:52 am »
Daang I'm so said I wasn't able to come DX I was really really sick :c of utmost unfortunance, I had such a cool mask to wear too.
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 01:20:04 am »
So, how are those official pictures coming?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 09:44:32 am »
Publicity has the photos, and is working on getting them into a gallery on the website.  As soon as I"m told they're ready, I will post here so you will know.  (And I will keep bugging them until they are posted :))

Thanks for your patience.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 01:45:58 am »
The photos from the Masquerade Ball are now in the gallery here.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:24:18 pm by Jamiche »

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 03:49:11 pm »
The photos from the Masquerade Ball are now in the gallery here.[/url

*is relieved*

Good- there aren't any pics of me making a fool of myself on the dancefloor.