Author Topic: Where is the Best Japanese?  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
Where is the Best Japanese?
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:44:32 pm »
So, I am looking around Portland for the best japanese program.
Ive been out of highschool since 2005 and Ive been working at the portland public school district as a computer technician, however my real calling is to be a teacher. I wasnt sure at first what I wanted to teach. After considering the subjects I enjoy I decided I want to teach japanese, but for that I need to know it. I havent spoken japanese since I was in high school so its run dry. I have considered PSU, and PCC, but I have no idea the quality of the classes. If anyone has taken japanese in Portland Id like to know what you thought of the class.

I also would be interested to hear from people who've been to CCC or MHCC.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Where is the Best Japanese?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:56:32 pm »
I started Japanese at PCC and am now at PSU. 

PCC uses the Yookoso textbook, has good teachers and lots of free tutoring from native speakers.  It's a very solid program.

PSU uses the Jorden system.  The Jorden system ... ummm...  Well, just about anyone in my class would be happy to indulge in long rants about the flaws of the system.  In this system you memorize conversations in Japanese and recite them in class.  Those recitations are the bulk of your grade.  The main textbook is all in Roman characters and even the supplimentary book on the written language is mostly in Roman characters. 

I know students who have gone throught this system who can say "The train arrives at 3:00", but they can't say "The bus arrives at 3:00" or the "The train leaves at 3:00."

Jorden does work well for some people.  But, for every 1 person I know who likes the system I know 20 more who hate it. 

The problem is, if you want a 4 year degree in Japanese, PSU is your only option in Portland as far as I am aware.  But, you can do your first two years at PCC and then transfer to PSU.  Also, I know PSU has a program to train people to be Japanese teachers.

If you are looking to really jump start your Japanese, both PCC and PSU offer first year Japanese in a summer intensive program.  PSU also does second year as a summer intensive.  I did the PSU summer intensive second year last summer. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:42:55 pm »
I went to mhcc they have a great 1st year japanese teacher Sato sensei and use same book as pcc , and i've heard mixed things about mhcc 2nd year teacher,

as said about the sytem psu uses i dont like it,  it almsot makes any japanese you learn before it worthless, but if you want a degree and are in the area, its kinda the only option,

i would sugest buying both text books and looking them over, see what you like
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:39:50 am by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 10:40:06 pm »
luckily for me, Ive got a car and anything can be considered in the area for me. Im kind of in between all of them.
I really appreciate the suggestions. Ive got something to run on now.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:43:46 am »
The best way to learn japanese I'm told is to be surrounded by it.  I think that one can get a BS then hop on the JET program and get paid to teach in japan.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 05:26:44 pm »
If you want to be a japanese teacher, learn in japan.  Students won't respect someone who learned all their Japanese in the US.

If you want to teach English in Japan (my sister's actually looking at possibly teaching German in Japan; she's tri-lingual), american Japanese may work for you.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:26:08 pm »

PSU uses the Jorden system.  The Jorden system ... ummm...  Well, just about anyone in my class would be happy to indulge in long rants about the flaws of the system.  In this system you memorize conversations in Japanese and recite them in class.  Those recitations are the bulk of your grade.  The main textbook is all in Roman characters and even the supplimentary book on the written language is mostly in Roman characters. 

I know students who have gone throught this system who can say "The train arrives at 3:00", but they can't say "The bus arrives at 3:00" or the "The train leaves at 3:00."

Jorden does work well for some people.  But, for every 1 person I know who likes the system I know 20 more who hate it. 

The Jorden system is based on uniform Romaji. Which is horrible. You're probably using Beginning Japanese 1, right? That book is a good resource, but I'd never want to actually learn from it. Reading Japanese is a decent book though.

Willamette has a really well known program and it has Tokyo International University American on campus. I have applied there because it is supposed to be the best in Oregon. The University of Oregon also has a really good program from my understanding (I've applied there as my backup).

I completely agree with the statement that to truly learn Japanese you need to travel to and stay in Japan. I have been twice, which has amplified my understanding of Japanese greatly. You can't really learn in an environment where it is easy and safe to slip back into English, so I suggest eventually studying in a part of Japan away from Tokyo.
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 06:30:46 pm »
If you want to be a japanese teacher, learn in japan.  Students won't respect someone who learned all their Japanese in the US.

If you want to teach English in Japan (my sister's actually looking at possibly teaching German in Japan; she's tri-lingual), american Japanese may work for you.

PSU has an active exchange program with Waseda University in Japan.  Doing a year abroad there is not as good an learning the whole languege there, but Waseda is a very highly respected school.  You can also do single terms abroad if you can't swing a year financially.

Also, Waseda uses the Genki textbook.  Genki is, as far as I am concerned, the Holy Grail of Japanese textbooks.  Throughout my first year of Japanese, if I needed to understand anything better I would read about it in my Genki Textbook.  It's the most readable, usefull, well organized textbook out there.  If you want to brush up or self study, it is the book to use.  

Yeah, I kinda like Genki  :D
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:33:12 pm »
I'm attending PSU this fall, planning to minor in Japanese ... though your stories are intimidating!

Also, I'm going on a 3 week trip to Japan through MHCC this summer.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 10:01:45 pm »
I have a friend who's taking Japanese at PSU.  Apparently it's nothing spectacular, although if you can swing that study abroad program, it might be a good route.  My friend's just taking it as a language credit, so it's not a big thing for him; just at class to pass. 

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 01:54:25 am »
tell me more about this three week trip in japan through MHCC. What are the reqs?
I should have specified, my initial intentions are to teach japanese in america, however I would also love to teach english in japan.
What are your thoughts on taking 2 years of japanese at PCC and then transfering to PSU for the teaching Japanese as a second language certificate? I want to learn where I can learn it best, but I dont have the financial backing to learn it in japan. So I think some mix of PCC and PSU is for me.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 09:47:57 am »
I'm attending PSU this fall, planning to minor in Japanese ... though your stories are intimidating!

Also, I'm going on a 3 week trip to Japan through MHCC this summer.

you will know the Sato sensei!!!!!
that is the trip I went on, it was so much fun!

not to worry about getting a minor in Japanese at psu they have japanese lit/film/ and drama classes that count towards a japanese minor

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 10:13:20 am »
Daxe:

Here's the link!

This program is a perennial favorite among students. Stay at an eco-friendly hotel near Ryukoku University and last 3 nights with host families. Spend your mornings taking Japanese; spend your afternoons practicing Japanese with Japanese university students and seeing famous sites in and around the ancient city of Kyoto.

* $2,650 includes:
          o MHCC tuition for 5 transfer credits; JPN 111, 112, 113, 211/212/213 (3 credits) plus INTL 210 (2 credits)
          o 30 hrs classroom instruction
          o Round trip airfare
          o 20 nights lodging
          o 5 field trips

Jaz: Yay I'm excited!

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 10:49:08 am »
Is this something anyone could take regardless of how rusty my japanese is or do I need to brush up on it and take a bunch of classes?

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 10:50:29 am »
You don't need ANY knowledge of Japanese, though it's preferred. I think there is a class included within the price of the trip.
Though I think Jaz would know, considering she's been on the trip before... Jaz?

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 12:48:46 pm »
Just to through this out there, there is a program ran through Oregon high schools called the Oregon Intercultural Association Japan Homestay. I have been on the trip twice.

Each summer about 40 kids from Oregon HS (and some college students, the only real requirement is that you're a student in HS or College) go to Japan and spend 3 - 4 weeks living with host families all around Japan.

It is not an academic program, but I definitely learned a lot from living with Japanese families. It only costs around 2,500 dollars for round-trip airfare, JR Rail pass (this pass allows you to take any JR train during the time you have it, it pays for itself by about the second trip on the Bullet Train), 3 - 4 weeks of housing (with familes, who will provide meals like breakfast and dinner) and trips to places like Kyoto and Hiroshima.

The program is headed by Dr. Katsu Ozawa, one of the nicest and most intelligent person I know. He is a faculty member at George Fox, but I don't exactly how to get into contact with him now (he is usually out of the country).

If this sounds interesting and you attend a high school around Beaverton or Eugene, ask around and I'm sure the contact information will materialize.
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 01:21:33 pm »
Im in Portland/Gresham, and Im no longer in highschool, probably should have started college two years ago. I might be a bit out of the requirements.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 01:22:43 pm »
I'm not close to Beaverton/Eugene unfortunately. There was going to be a trip through our school, but it was canceled due to few students being interested.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 02:55:21 pm »
You don't need ANY knowledge of Japanese, though it's preferred. I think there is a class included within the price of the trip.
Though I think Jaz would know, considering she's been on the trip before... Jaz?

there are Japanese classes included and what happend, is that in the mornings of days you'd have classes (when it wasnt a free day or a tour some where) youd have classese at ryokoku and it would be basice Japanese conversation pratice,
then in  the afternoon japanese student would come and we would talk, using what we had worked on

the classes woul also be sorta split with beginers in the front and more advanced in the back.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 12:11:30 am »
Oh, also, the teacher (or one of them, at least) for Japanese at CCC is pretty good.  I had her my freshman year of highschool and learned about thrice as much that year as the freshmen the next year did because she took a job at the community college.  CCC's language programs seem to be pretty good for a community college, but I haven't taken any, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 07:47:19 pm »

there are Japanese classes included and what happend, is that in the mornings of days you'd have classes (when it wasnt a free day or a tour some where) youd have classese at ryokoku and it would be basice Japanese conversation pratice,
then in  the afternoon japanese student would come and we would talk, using what we had worked on

the classes woul also be sorta split with beginers in the front and more advanced in the back.

That sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to go on this trip *is excited*

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 02:07:03 am »
I'm getting rosetta stone to learn Japanese its designed to use your natural instincts to submerse you into a language (not just telling you this word is this). I'm gonna try it out and see if it helps my entry into the Japanese language. I don't expect to be fully fluent but at least competent to learn more if i ever go visit Tokyo!
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!