Author Topic: AMV Progress 2008  (Read 76858 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: AMV Progress 2008
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 07:23:13 am »
Here's my newest AMV: The Curse of Chaos. I don't plan to enter it into the AMV contest, so I don't see a problem with posting it for you all to check out. ^_^ Thoughts are welcome, and I just have to add that a lot of quality was lost in the uploading process. So, yeah, it is better than it may look, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:31 am »
Anyone have some advice for pulling audio off a DVD? I wanted to make a trailer AMV but I only managed to rip the video off the disc. I would really love to get the audio because I think my idea will work really well. Any and all ideas/comments are welcome and appreciated.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 02:47:26 pm »
Anyone have some advice for pulling audio off a DVD? I wanted to make a trailer AMV but I only managed to rip the video off the disc. I would really love to get the audio because I think my idea will work really well. Any and all ideas/comments are welcome and appreciated.
Are you using DGIndex?

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »
Yeah, I am. Some time ago I came across something called AMVapp, which contains DVD Decryptor, DGIndex, Virtual Dub, and other programs. I used it for my first four AMVs but I only needed the video, as I just used an mp3 for audio. I'd like to rip the audio off my DVD to use for an AMV trailer. The audio program BeSweet GUI didn't work. It says it needs to be reinstalled and I don't know if I have the disc. Is there another program out there that works for collecting audio off a DVD?

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 06:32:16 pm »
Here's my newest AMV: The Curse of Chaos. I don't plan to enter it into the AMV contest, so I don't see a problem with posting it for you all to check out. ^_^ Thoughts are welcome, and I just have to add that a lot of quality was lost in the uploading process. So, yeah, it is better than it may look, heh

wow that was awesome! i love it! i love you! yay! teehehehe <3

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 10:25:26 am »
Yeah, I am. Some time ago I came across something called AMVapp, which contains DVD Decryptor, DGIndex, Virtual Dub, and other programs. I used it for my first four AMVs but I only needed the video, as I just used an mp3 for audio. I'd like to rip the audio off my DVD to use for an AMV trailer. The audio program BeSweet GUI didn't work. It says it needs to be reinstalled and I don't know if I have the disc. Is there another program out there that works for collecting audio off a DVD?
Cool. I ask about DGIndex because that's what I use to get audio from a DVD. Here's what I do:
- Open DGIndex and load the VOB file that has the trailer in it
- Go to Audio --> Output Method --> Decode to WAV
- Under Audio --> Track Number, make sure it's set to Track 1.
- Under Audio --> "48 -> 44.1KHz", set it to High
- Go to File --> Save Project.
- You should now have a .wav file where you saved it to. It'll have a messy-looking filename, like "something AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps 44.1KHz.wav".

Hope that works. :P

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 11:09:24 am »
Thanks a lot. That worked like a charm. I didn't even know DGIndex could do audio. I guess my novice colors are showing. But now I'm off to start my AMV trailer for the contest. Hope it makes the cut. Thanks again. I'll see you at the con! Hope I make the cut. I'm planning a Drama 2 (Dance), a comedy, and my trailer. And now off to work.

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 12:45:07 pm »

Very, very nice. You're lucky. ^^ I cannot do AMVs to foreign language music at all. I completely fail in that department. XD;

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 01:48:42 pm »
Thanks a lot. That worked like a charm. I didn't even know DGIndex could do audio. I guess my novice colors are showing. But now I'm off to start my AMV trailer for the contest. Hope it makes the cut. Thanks again. I'll see you at the con! Hope I make the cut. I'm planning a Drama 2 (Dance), a comedy, and my trailer. And now off to work.
No problem. Good luck on the trailer. :D

A small note, I always find the audio ripped from DVDs to be pretty quiet, having done a few trailers myself. It'd be worth it to raise the .wav file's volume at some point. Just a suggestion. :)

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 02:12:59 pm »
I did notice it sounded quiet. I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the help, again. I'm just going through my anime DVDs right now trying to find clips to use.
On a different topic, I have a song I want to use for a Dance/Upbeat AMV but I think I might have to edit the song a tad. I don't know how far the censors go but the song uses the word G**d**n. I'll probably have to edit it, right? It doesn't bother me either way.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2008, 08:46:39 pm »
Ok, so I have Adobe Premier CS3 to use..

And after I imported my video files into the program and tried doing a playback at normal speed after putting it into the source monitor and timeline.......it became like, 15 times slower than what it's supposed to be. I tried adjusting the frame speed count, but that doesn't work either. The audio works just fine, playing back at normal speed.

Does anyone know how to adjust the video so it plays back normally, and not close to frame by frame? That's the only thing that's preventing me to continue working on the trailer that I was going to do....

For those of you who were curious as to what trailer.....

I was going to do like the first two and a half minutes of Nightwish's "The Poet and the Pendulum" (That's off their newest album, Dark Passion Play) To the Advent Children movie.

Any help? *gives pleading group*
-Bakura

Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2008, 09:40:22 am »
Did you Preview it first? Or did you just put it in the timeline then played it?

To Preview, hit Enter and it'll go over the footage in the timeline, making it easier to watch.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2008, 11:59:22 pm »
i finished my dirge of cerberus amv yesterday and want to post it somewhere, but i have yet to convert it and get it posted... stupid computer being infected with some nasty thing and not letting me use internet... *is on a laptop that i just found the power cord for* i hate technology.. yet i love it.. yet i hate it.. lol

i am planning on making a hellsing amv next. should be a good one, and fun to make too ^.^

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: AMV technical tips
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2008, 07:53:41 am »
Quote from: EveofAbyss
My only problem is that I can't seem to get rid of the lag when I try to play through (and check progress/synchronization) ... does anyone know of reasons for lag (large clip size, etc.), or a better (preferably free) program?
The most common cause that I have seen for lag (and I have had this happen to me to until I figured it out) is when FRAME rates differ slightly. When they differ greatly, such as:

- You're building a project in 30 fr per sec
- You're using, say older footage at 24fps

then most programs compensate correctly. Obviously if your project framerate is THE SAME as your extracted clips there's no problem at all. The lag problems tend to crop up when you're working in 30fps and your clips are in that nasty 29.97fps. (or 24fps vs 23.96fps) Or the difference in duration between a mean solar day (24hr) and a siderial day (23 hours, 56 minutes, 4.1 seconds.) One of those stupid things like that.

Many programs fail to keep in time when the difference is negligible over the range of each clip (given that it's usually only a few seconds each clip) - BUT - the errors are CUMULATIVE, so that by the time you're 50sec or so into your AMV you may be close to ONE HALF SECOND OFF from your audio. I *hate* when that happens!

Your solution: Check your frame rates (and re-export them if necessary) and make sure they are the same frame rate as your project timeline. As for free tools, VirtualDub is getting a little long in the tooth, but it's free, and you may have BETTER luck with a newer program called AEGISUB (also free) which I heard about from one of my anime-techy friends who does fansub subtitling (timing controls there are crucial, not only for subtitles but for all the karaoke effects used in OP/EDs)

Next: Premiere crash control:
1. SAVE YOUR PROJECT OFTEN, especially before you Preview it or render/export it.
2. If your Premiere-crash causes the program to just disappear (strangely, silentlly then WINK! Its GONE!) what you need to do is WATCH IT RUNNING. Look at your frame count, then try to pinpoint what frame number causes the crash. Open Premiere again and temporarily cut that one section out. Temporarily export everything (uncompressed avi) leading up to your problem-child slice. You can also do this by sliding the work area to just before that Zone of Death.
3. Then, export another uncompressed AVI ending at the end (or as far as you've worked up to) your project, but starting a few clips AFTER the problem area.
4. Keep adjusting the end of the first AVI later and later until you get the crash. Only keep the last GOOD, sucessfully completed output file. Start your second clip earlier and earlier until you hit the crashspot, and again, only keep the last GOOD one.
5. Save your project to a new name, and blow away ALL clips except the problem areas. Drop in your one MONGO start clip and your MONGO end clip onto your sound file, (in their appropriate time positions, of course) and work to recreate the footage in the gap. You may need to re-rip that one problem scene if its corrupted.
6. Often, it's just ONE frame which is corrupted. If that's the case, do a static, one-frame export as BMP of the frame BEFORE the problem point, and another of the next frame AFTER the problem. Cut the bad frame out of the timeline. Open Photoshop or GIMP or whatever, and superimpose one frame at 50% opacity over  the other, merge/flatten layers and save as a new BMP file. Go back to Premiere, import this new BMP file and drop it in place where the bad frame was.  You should now be able to process right on over the "bump in the road..."

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:11:06 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: Nightwish Fun.
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2008, 10:51:01 am »
Quote from: TohmaSeguchi
I was going to do like the first two and a half minutes of Nightwish's "The Poet and the Pendulum" ... To the Advent Children movie.

Quote from: YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD AMV Contest Coordinator
Note: the following comments, and what people do or do not do, have *NO* bearing on the AMV Contest, or the judges' selection process, etc - I'm just chatting here!

GO FOR IT!!!

*I* was gonna use the SAME SLICE of music - actually a narrower slice:
- pick up the orchestral rock crunching  from about 1:33 mark, then
- SAVE TIME by blending directly into around 3:06, cutting out one verse

- "My hopes there and then, those meadows of heaven"
  Nice Anglo/Nordic imagery there, very LOTR

- "Adventure filled days, more with every smiling face"

- then try a blend/cut to the chorus:
      "Get away, run away, fly away
        Lead me astray, to dreamers' hideaway
        I cannot cry ’cause the shoulder cries more
  <-Clare's shoulder wound here
        I cannot die, I, the whore for this cold world
        Forgive me, I have but two faces
<- Claire's face in partially awakened, "Hillary" mode
        One for the world,   <- Claire's "blend in with the mundanes," brown-eyed face
       One for God, save me" <- There was a church battle ep where I could probably
                                                           find rose windows, or an altar scene.
- Fade at 4:14.

Yeah, first time I heard that song it screamed CLAYMORE!!! to me...
IF I can get it done I'd send the snippet in to a multieditor project or two and see if it works...

BTW, to answer someone else's question, you *can* say "whore" and "G_d D_mn" on the radio so that won't interfere with PG-13 or 'radio clean' requirements. It's just not a *nice* word, but who sez we have to be *nice all the time* ...

ANYWAYS, HERES A COOL TRICK YOU CAN DO with that new Nightwish double CD:

The second CD is all instrumental versions of each song of the first CD. So, you can SURGICALLY SNIP OUT any objectionable words by:
- Place the lyrics in an audio timeline, AND place the non-lyrics version right on top of it (or directly underneath.)
- Play BOTH tracks simultaneously to make sure they are in synch - if not you willwill getget anan ECHOechoECHOecho
- Once both audio tracks are synched up, CUT the sung version whereever you want to punch-out a word you don't like.

Result: the music will back you up and it's almost unnoticable to just about anyone who's not really listening intensely to the lyrics. Nightwish has been used very well in a number of AMVs, from Gundam, Code Geass, Mai Hime / Mai Otome, and Shamanic Princess.

- G

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:00:05 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2008, 02:35:13 pm »
I... could cry.
I haven't gotten a chance to actually start my Kiki video because I've been busy getting ready for my cousin's wedding among other things, but the copy I got was a ripped copy from the library that I put on my computer.

Guess who's computer needs to be reformatted?
Guess who doesn't have any burnable DVDs to put the movie back on to? T_T

So now I have to do all this, go BACK to the library, rerip it after I have all my programs reinstalled, and try to remember what the heck I was doing in the first place.

Progress? What's that? >_>

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2008, 03:18:35 pm »
Right now, my only extent is making Genesis Rhapsodos lip-sync to Gackt songs because I'm terribly bored. If I could get my hands on the actual music video for Temptation of Sonata, though, I could swap out all the places that were re-choreographed for the live version of that fight with the Advent Children version... *Trails off into little random mutterings*

I have one AMV in, but I want to do a trailer and maybe a J-rock one. But I still only have Crisis Core FMVs and Advent Children. T_T If only Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was dubbed! I could have some fun with that!

Oh, wait... Wonderful idea just occurred to me. I'm gonna go download all of the Trinity Blood episodes now.

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2008, 01:30:05 am »
Yikes...loads of amvs and loads of different types!

*pokes Akira*

So...I got it in my head to make an Akira vid...(for the Old School catagory)...and of course my roomie suggested it be easier to download then rip the other roomie's copy of it. And it was faster...it took maybe 45 mins. to download...or less. However it was OGM, thus needed converted. So, two file converters, and about 5 hours later I finally have Akira in a a format I can use. And thank the electronics gods for that!

I've got a little over 11 secs of a 3 min, 2 sec AMV finished. And I'm not to the point of pulling out my hair yet. Though, for future reference, does anyone have an GOOD OGM converter, that won't require me to then run the WMV file through yet another converter?

*pokes Akira again*

Hmm...now I just have to decide how much blood I can use in this AMV.
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2008, 08:09:14 pm »
Mellon, dear, poking Akira is only going to make it angry.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2008, 11:28:40 pm »
You're under the impression that it isn't already.

Akira is, by default, irate. :P

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »
Hm. Good point. Ohwell. I get Mellon's anime collection when she's gone. :3

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Akiri = 1988
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2008, 08:00:58 pm »
Quote from: Pie Row Maniac
Akira is, by default, irate. :P
Mwahahah: Use the Gummi-bears theme and the scene of the EVIL TEDDYBEAR menacing the kid in his hospital bed...!

BTW, just to check in with you guys, 'Akira' is from 1988 so it COUNTS for 'Old School.'

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2008, 08:21:07 pm »
Did you Preview it first? Or did you just put it in the timeline then played it?

To Preview, hit Enter and it'll go over the footage in the timeline, making it easier to watch.

I believe I did that....I'll try again.

If that doesn't work, does anyone else have any other suggestions..? *ish annoyed cause it's the only thing from keeping me to continue working on them*.....
-Bakura
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2008, 08:36:09 pm »
There should really be an 'alternate anime opening' category. You know, take a song, edit it yourself down to 1:30 and then make it into a theme song? Eh, maybe next year. Right now, I have a date with Lemon Demon and Trinity Blood. Does anyone think that the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny is a bit overdone?

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: Alternate OP project? YEAH!!!
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2008, 09:56:21 pm »
Quote from: LtCommanderRichie
There should really be an 'alternate anime opening' category. You know, take a song, edit it yourself down to 1:30 and then make it into a theme song?
If you make a convincing-looking, serious, "This should have been the REAL opening to [series 'x']" type of AMV, then it will go into the Serious Trailer category, and you are *VERY* welcome and encouraged to take a stab at that. The Serious Trailer category also includes 'replica' trailers for movies or TV shows that don't really exist, but you are telling us a serious, what-if story by creating your own audio, titles, 'stars,' 'seiyuu,' 'character design,' etc.

One of my own home-made examples (an admittedly low rez, novice work, sorry...) is here:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=15719

Nobody is making an anime of David Weber's 'Honor' paperback book series, but DAY-em somebody SHOULD. (imho.)

Another neat way to create a 'replica trailer' is to nab intense music, then use the English dub dialogues off an anime (go for dramatic lines with little or no background music or sound effects) and mix your own audio. DJ Izumi did it this way:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=41818

Since *no one* listens to the English dub (right? :D ) the use of selected English dialogue throws people off of the actual show and instead gets people wondering 'what movie was this taken from,' 'whoa, this would be good,' etc. There's only one place where the dub has music, and so it clashes with the theme music.  But there's a nice, visually distracting explosion going on, so it's not QUITE as obvious.

One other neat thing to notice with 'real' movie trailers is that they borrow music from other popular movies. In the above case, the Sum of All Fears trailer is powered by theme music also used in the submarine thriller Crimson Tide. Similarly, I am wondering whether Jigoku Shoujo and Trinity Blood share some music, too.

Some movie trailers are running as long as 2min30sec, so your 'replica OP' could be longer than 1min30sec - just keep it INTERESTING and CONVINCING.

Does anyone think that the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny is a bit overdone?
THIS crossover trailer project
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=46035
uses two VERY well-worn chartacters...

Lastly, If your work is a parody-amusement style, it will run in 'Random Amusement.'

Looking forward to seeing it...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:17:16 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline chibiroth

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2008, 02:55:59 am »
so im currently working on i think 3 different amvs, but its going to be hard to choose which ones to enter into the contest since i love all of my previous ones to XD ill i can say for one of my new amvs is princess tutu!
Kumoricon 2008 cosplay:

Princess Tutu
Riku- KH
Hunny-Ouran Host Club
Cooking Mama
Alita- Apollo Justice

And a Secret Cosplay hehe :D

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2008, 04:29:50 pm »
just finished my hellsing amv ^.^ turned out pretty good, in my opinion. now, if i can somehow find a converter and it works well, then perhaps i shall enter it in the contest. not sure what category though.. it's kinda funny, but not necessarily comedy... hrm...

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2008, 08:25:38 am »
just finished my hellsing amv ^.^ turned out pretty good, in my opinion. now, if i can somehow find a converter and it works well, then perhaps i shall enter it in the contest. not sure what category though.. it's kinda funny, but not necessarily comedy... hrm...
Let us know if you need help converting. It's a messy step.

I'd ask what song you used, but then that might give away the surprise. ;)

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
Re: Nightwish Fun.
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:12 pm »
Quote from: TohmaSeguchi
I was going to do like the first two and a half minutes of Nightwish's "The Poet and the Pendulum" ... To the Advent Children movie.

Quote from: YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD AMV Contest Coordinator
Note: the following comments, and what people do or do not do, have *NO* bearing on the AMV Contest, or the judges' selection process, etc - I'm just chatting here!

GO FOR IT!!!

*I* was gonna use the SAME SLICE of music - actually a narrower slice:
- pick up the orchestral rock crunching  from about 1:33 mark, then
- SAVE TIME by blending directly into around 3:06, cutting out one verse

- "My hopes there and then, those meadows of heaven"
  Nice Anglo/Nordic imagery there, very LOTR

- "Adventure filled days, more with every smiling face"

- then try a blend/cut to the chorus:
      "Get away, run away, fly away
        Lead me astray, to dreamers' hideaway
        I cannot cry ’cause the shoulder cries more
  <-Clare's shoulder wound here
        I cannot die, I, the whore for this cold world
        Forgive me, I have but two faces
<- Claire's face in partially awakened, "Hillary" mode
        One for the world,   <- Claire's "blend in with the mundanes," brown-eyed face
       One for God, save me" <- There was a church battle ep where I could probably
                                                           find rose windows, or an altar scene.
- Fade at 4:14.

Yeah, first time I heard that song it screamed CLAYMORE!!! to me...
IF I can get it done I'd send the snippet in to a multieditor project or two and see if it works...

BTW, to answer someone else's question, you *can* say "whore" and "G_d D_mn" on the radio so that won't interfere with PG-13 or 'radio clean' requirements. It's just not a *nice* word, but who sez we have to be *nice all the time* ...

ANYWAYS, HERES A COOL TRICK YOU CAN DO with that new Nightwish double CD:

The second CD is all instrumental versions of each song of the first CD. So, you can SURGICALLY SNIP OUT any objectionable words by:
- Place the lyrics in an audio timeline, AND place the non-lyrics version right on top of it (or directly underneath.)
- Play BOTH tracks simultaneously to make sure they are in synch - if not you willwill getget anan ECHOechoECHOecho
- Once both audio tracks are synched up, CUT the sung version whereever you want to punch-out a word you don't like.

Result: the music will back you up and it's almost unnoticable to just about anyone who's not really listening intensely to the lyrics. Nightwish has been used very well in a number of AMVs, from Gundam, Code Geass, Mai Hime / Mai Otome, and Shamanic Princess.

- G

Oh Dude, that'd be so awesome. I've seen clips of Claymore, and I can totally see what you mean.

There are a couple of clips from different series' that would fit "The Islander" (Go Marco..), but the one song that I think would be a great drama AMV to is "Bye Bye Beautiful".

Yesh, I know it's an emo song, (whacks Tuomas upside the head),

Thinkin' about a Gundam Wing amv. What do you think, "Amaranth" To GW? I think the lyrics kinda fit...
-Heero/Bakura

Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2008, 06:07:02 pm »
Let us know if you need help converting. It's a messy step.

I'd ask what song you used, but then that might give away the surprise. ;)

i think i got the converting down ok for this one, it maybe could be better... eve-boyfriend has been playing around with conversions for me for this one and some of the final fantasy amv's i've made. but do you have a suggestion for what converter to use and what codec/frame rate/size/etc i should use? it'd be suuuuuper helpful ^.^

as for the song, let's just say the band queen is involved >.>

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2008, 08:14:14 pm »
Argh, Premier CS3 is being so annoying..

Ok, so I've played it back in the toggle monitor, program monitor, and the source monitor, and the imported clip is still slower than what it's supposed to be, it's lagging, in other words.

Does anyone know Premier CS3? It's lagged with every single video file that I've imported. The audio files are fine.

That's the only thing preventing me from continuing with the progress on it...*sigh*
-Bakura/Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2008, 12:14:43 pm »
i think i got the converting down ok for this one, it maybe could be better... eve-boyfriend has been playing around with conversions for me for this one and some of the final fantasy amv's i've made. but do you have a suggestion for what converter to use and what codec/frame rate/size/etc i should use? it'd be suuuuuper helpful ^.^

as for the song, let's just say the band queen is involved >.>
Now I'm really looking forward to your vid. ;)

Frame rate depends on what you're editing in. I'm betting that it's 29.97, as that's what animation is usually set to (at least here in the USA), but there are cases where it's 24 or something along 23. Unless you've already converted your footage to a different rate, keep it the same as what you're editing at.

What I plan on doing for my video(s) is making an Xvid encode and an MPEG1 encode. Afterwards I compare the two and go with whatever one looks best. Because I'm sending this in on a disc, I don't need to concern myself with filesize, something the two codecs aren't too great at. If I end up sending it via FTP however, then filesize would be a concern.

When it comes to encoding AMVs, I'm old-fashioned. The AMV community holds h264 as their current codec of choice (as far as I know), while I tend to stick to more classic ones. I haven't had the time or energy to research it or find out how to encode into newer formats, much less how to adjust them for AMVs.

While h264 and other current codecs allow for features like multiple strings of audio (for creator commentary or alternate sound settings like mono and stereo, etc.) and has great filesize compression while retaining video quality, those features are going to be useless at an AMV contest. It's great for distribution, especially online distribution because of the compression/quality ratio, but in this case, all the video needs to do is be able to play on Guy's computer and look nice. I only say this because, like I said, I haven't gotten around to learning how to monkey with current codecs yet. :P

This is another reason I stick with MPEG1, in that it's able to play on practically any computer and doesn't require any plug-ins, installs, etc. It makes things easier on all of us, even the staff. ;)

So yeah, to reiterate, I recommend MPEG1, Xvid or even MPEG2 if you have the patience. It's basically MPEG1 with a better compression/quality ratio but in my limited experience with it, can be a mess to tinker with.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
^sweet, i'll try those things ^.^ thanks for the help!

and whenever you get to see my amv, i hope you'll enjoy it ^.^

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2008, 12:04:07 pm »
Question~!

Ok, so does anyone know a converter program that will let you convert from .wav to .avi format? I use AutoGK normally to do my converting, but I don't know if that program will let you do it.

Anyone know? It'd be useful for my AMV's....since I'm having craptastic issues with Premier. (going to use Windows movie maker...hence the convertion factor)
-Bakura/Heero

Edit: Also, does anyone know a way to convert .mp4 to .mp3 format? Windows Movie maker won't read the songs that I want to use....(they're in .mp4).....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:05:48 pm by TohmaSeguchi »
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2008, 12:44:07 pm »
You'd need something that breaks the encryption on iTunes songs to convert from .mp4 to .mp3, since that's the format that iTunes puts everything in.

Augh! Maaan, I'm having issues with things to for an AMV! I've got all this Trinity Blood on my computer, and now I don't know what to do with it because I don't wanna do the 'Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny' or 'When Robots Attack'. I wanna do something 'Old School', but would something from the old original Sailor Moon soundtrack count?

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: 'Old School'
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2008, 07:56:09 am »
I wanna do something 'Old School', but would something from the old original Sailor Moon soundtrack count?
Just a clarification here:

The 'Old School' category uses anime from before 1990, and sound from any era.
Trinity Blood (I loved that show!!!) is from 2005 so it's not 'Old School.'

Now as for video, the same rule as ALL GUNDAM = 1979 applies.
But wait - I checked Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_moon
and Anime INFO:
http://www.animenfo.com/search.php?query=sailor+moon&queryin=anime_titles&action=Go&option=keywords

and they both say the earliest animation of Sailor Moon is 1992 - which (drat) would mean it's NOT 'Old School.'

Comments?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:56:41 am by Prinz Eugen »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2008, 09:33:04 am »
Dang. Oh well! Back to the drawing board... Or the soundboard. Or whatever.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2008, 10:39:29 am »
i have finals to work on today so make chris work on his amvs, kinda wish i had a little whip thingy to keep him on track
*smack* make amv fast! *smack*  edit faster*smack* better dubbing!!! *smack* more action!!
then he'd get more done :) or i would just have fun either way win win
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2008, 12:25:49 pm »
Has 'Seasons of War' from the World of Warcraft soundtrack been used yet? Because it's perfect for a TB trailer, but I don't want to overuse it.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2008, 07:21:17 am »
Has 'Seasons of War' from the World of Warcraft soundtrack been used yet? Because it's perfect for a TB trailer, but I don't want to overuse it.
Typically, I don't discuss what music or anime is used in the entries already received because that might tip the hand to people still working on stuff right now. In other words, if I said now that I had four Gintama AMVs, that shouldn't stop you or anyone one else from using Gintama cuz YOU are gonna be the BEST!

However, here's some information available publicly from AMV dot org:

There are 4431 vids using Full Metal Alchemist,
4693 using Evangelion, and
17,345 using Final Fantasy.

There are 1155 AMVs using Lord of the Rings music.

There are only 59 using WoW music.
So, I'd say -no-  WoW isn't overused,  ... yet...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:22:18 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2008, 08:29:54 am »
All in good time.

Now that finals are over, I have the next few weeks to get crackin on the final touches. Muahahah... :D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2008, 11:03:45 am »
All in good time.
Now that finals are over, I have the next few weeks to get crackin on the final touches. Muahahah... :D
i hear you, finals were done yesterday for me and i couldn't sleep last night but i had a good idea for an amv (to me any way, chris seemed less then imprressed but i will show him!)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:14 am »
Alright, because this trailer is looking pretty epic and I really don't wanna change music now.

Trinity Blood FTW! This will seriously be amazing.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2008, 12:09:09 pm »
If I can't get this current video done, I'm hoping I can at least get a trailer out the door. Those have always been guilty pleasures of mine. ;)

I just need to figure out which one to do... o_o

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2008, 08:57:06 pm »
Thinking about doing may be a more obscure anime AMV trailer....

But does anyone know where I can download movie trailers? Like the Dark Knight Trailer that they show in theaters?

-Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:36 am »
http://www.apple.com/trailers

That's probably your best bet for high quality trailers. You COULD record the audio from a YouTube link but the quality would be pretty sub-par.

Offline Catmegan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2008, 02:46:06 pm »
I would like to do the AMV contest...but I don't think I have a very good editing program.

Is windows moive maker alright? ???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:47:01 pm by Catmegan »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: WMM
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2008, 11:15:19 pm »
You can use whatever you want but is has to output an .avi, .mpg, or .mp4 file which is compressed to about 25MB/min. Some people have had barely-clear-enough results by outputing from WMM to an uncompressed AVI and compressing using some other tool like the free VirtualDub. Other folks using WMM have managed to create .avi's but for whatever reason they're like 880MB for 4 minutes. They play allright in XP but crush other machines. Way too huge.

Watch for another thread on a possible AMV Clinic in the Portland area. I'd love to get a bunch of editors together so we all can trade tips, tricks & demos on what works and what does NOT work.
Look in "Plan Your Own Adventure."

Be sure to output LARGER than you will end up. So if possible, for example, output from WMM to like 900 x 600, THEN use VirtualDub's Warp Sharp filter while you resize to, say 720x480 or resize & crop to 640x480. (Just an example.) You then have a larger than-snowballs chance in Purgatory that the results will be decently clear. Unfortunately you will be up against entries made using tools like Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas, and even some 3D stuff.

But for all this DO NOT DESPAIR: Because your strongest asset is YOUR STORY. The creativity in your mind will overcome a few audio glitches or black bar problems above & below your field - *IF* you are ENTERTAINING the audience!

I am waiting for the day that someone does an effects AMV in his or her own copy of MAYA and rips the hinges off the doors to the AMV room. LOTR's armies of orcs vs a zillion Naruto copy-no-jutsus. Titanic vs the Nihon Kaigun battlefleet of Zipang? Pickett's Charge up the deadly, open field of Gettysburg, but with Gendo Ikari as Gen. Lee, Asuka as Hood trying to take Devils Den on the eastern flank, Shinji as Pickett (which would be why they lost!) ordering a regiment of Ayanami Reis up the hill. The Northern Army are Angels and Kaworu is Chamberlain. The Stainless Steel Banner, with not with stars but white NERV leaves on blue bars, flutters in the breeze as roundball and Minié bullets whistle by...

So: Make a GREAT AMV - tell us a FUNNY story, perhaps. Or, BLAST us with unusual effects & transitions. Arouse our curiosity by using new shows or obsure, underrated shows no one has seen much of before, but somehow you picked clips that transmit the emotions and settings you need. Make us believe that a new movie that cannot possibly exist - is coming to theatres NEAR YOU. Advertise a SILLY made-up product plugged by an anime character & friends. The field is wide open.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:22:29 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Catmegan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2008, 05:08:49 pm »
OK!... X_x I'm way over my head. At least I still have a month to work on it.

all I have to do is actually learn how to use my editor.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »
I have like, twenty ideas I can do....@.@.......

*continues the hunt for a good movie program*
-Yami/Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man