Author Topic: AMV Progress 2008  (Read 76874 times)

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Re: AMV Progress 2008
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2008, 05:34:34 pm »
Windows Movie Maker is great for beginners. It's pretty straight-forward, but is a linear editor, meaning you can only edit a video from beginning to end, without being able to insert footage at a later point on the timeline. It's pretty hindering, especially if you have an idea of what you want for a part of the song that's past where you're currently at.

Like I said it's great for starting out, but at some point your creativity is going to get frustrated and you'll want to move onto a more open editor like Premiere, Vegas or even Blender, which is mostly a 3D modeling program but can still be used to edit videos. Best of all, like Movie Maker, it's free. ;)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10:04 pm »
I should work on my trailer some more... And this time I'll see if I can keep my file less than 880mb for an .avi, a heh heh... *Sweatdrop*

EDIT: Is the AMV contest gonna be a ticketed event? If so... Do people that submitted things to it get in without one?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:05:59 pm by LtCommanderRichie »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2008, 06:43:13 am »
Although I personally never wanted tickets, now that Kumoricon has larger crowds convention staff usually makes it a ticketed event.
What I am going to try is that the TICKET is THE BALLOT (for contest voting.) They will get handed out in advance of the contest. But this would mean that everyone needs a ticket unless you already have the con-equivalent of a back-stage pass. (I think they do that with Badge #1, etc.)

I will also print a small set of tickets in a VERY DIFFERENT color, which will be handed to AMV creators & their guests, con GOHs etc, possibly staff as well. The TH-pecial color ticket holders get priority/advance seating.

Lastly (and I am just THINKING about this) What do YOU GUYS think of counting the creator's ballots as 2x votes?
Or something else? Or not? Just an idea, and I'm interested in your thoughts...

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2008, 12:24:43 pm »
Lastly (and I am just THINKING about this) What do YOU GUYS think of counting the creator's ballots as 2x votes?
Or something else? Or not? Just an idea, and I'm interested in your thoughts...
Leave it one person per vote. Just because someone makes AMVs doesn't mean their perspective is any more valuable than another person's. There are those who are more artistic than others, yes, but that shouldn't have any sway in a logical, numerical voting process. Politicians have just as much (or at least should) influence as a vote as the guy who has no interest in politics whatsoever.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2008, 03:02:48 pm »
Ah... My trailer is 2:40 instead of 2:30, and sounds kinda funny when I cut it off ten seconds early... Is it still okay?

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2008, 03:15:35 pm »
Ah... My trailer is 2:40 instead of 2:30, and sounds kinda funny when I cut it off ten seconds early... Is it still okay?
Well, the judges make the final, FINAL call on questions like these, but often they grant leeway here and there. I don't think that that alone would be a show-stopper.

We'll see...

- G

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2008, 08:23:49 pm »
Hopefully they'll let it go because I saw the numbers posted on entries received for trailers and I think they should run it "as is" since the field isn't very crowded.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2008, 02:23:05 pm »
Yar, the more trailers we have the better....at least to fill up the category.

Too much Drama entrees...XD
-Heero/Alice
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2008, 08:17:34 am »
Just finished my action video after years (literally) of putting it off. Just started on a trailer last night, which will actually be a re-make of an older video.

Almost there... :D

Offline jupiter13_00

• Chibi
    • Fanarts
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2008, 11:43:41 am »
Yar, the more trailers we have the better....at least to fill up the category.

Too much Drama entrees...XD
-Heero/Alice

There is always a lot of drama... which is why I entered just a random amusement one. XD
KumoriCon 2010

Did you see us? Me and my Boyfriend were the Eyesheild 21 cosplayers.

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2008, 04:53:35 pm »
Hey, is there anyone on the forum that knows Adobe Premiere well? I'm not looking for every detail on the subject, but I've hit some snags and would appreciate help. Or is there another program that would suit me better? Please reply here or email me. Thanks.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2008, 10:16:00 am »
Hey, is there anyone on the forum that knows Adobe Premiere well? I'm not looking for every detail on the subject, but I've hit some snags and would appreciate help. Or is there another program that would suit me better? Please reply here or email me. Thanks.
What's the problem exactly?

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2008, 08:27:18 pm »
Well, I know it sounds dumb, but I can't figure out how to publish or finalize my video in Premiere. In Movie Maker (I know, different program means different rules) I just went File, Publish Video, and chose the quality and all that. I'm new to Premiere but I've loved the program in editing my AMV. It's great there. I'll never go back. I just need to learn the touches to it. So I wanted to publish my vid for a test run on my friends. Does Premiere finalize video projects or do I export it to another program? Thanks for any help.
:)

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:44 pm »
File --> Export Timeline --> Movie...
or just Ctrl+M

A bunch of settings will be presented to you that you'll probably have to alter, depending on the settings of your footage. For example if your footage is in 24 frames per second, you'll want to keep it that way when you export. Or not, if you're experimenting and trying out new things. ;)

I'll say this though: Premiere doesn't have the best compression and resizing capabilities. What I do is export from Premiere uncompressed, at my highest resolution (typically 720x480, depending). Then from there, use other applications to resize and compress to get the best quality while keeping a decent filesize.

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2008, 04:39:27 pm »
Hey, thanks a lot. Any recommendations on applications to use? I'm trying hard to finish my vid but the deadline seems to be coming faster every day. Thanks so much.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »
After exporting, I make an Avisynth file that enables me to write in any code I need for improving video quality, resizing, etc. I throw that Avisynth file into VirtualDubMod or TMPGEnc, alter the settings to however I need them to be at, then create my final file.

Download Avisynth here

To create an Avisynth file:
- Right click on any empty space and hit New --> Text Document...
- Name the file something, with the extension .avs
- For clarity, I name the AVS file the same name as the D2V file. So if I have "footage.d2v" I would name it "footage.avs" This is just a personal preference I recommend to others; it's not required ;)

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2008, 07:24:25 pm »
Sweet. I can't begin to thank you enough. AMVs are so fun, but such a pain at times. But I can't stop the urge. I want to become the best. Someday I'll rank alongside Nostromo and others. Until then, I'll just tip my cap to their brilliance. Okay, moment of humility over. Back to editing!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2008, 09:30:02 pm »
REMEMBER: the AMVs MUST be in the AMV coordinator's HANDS by the evening of 7/25!!! (Yeah, that means you can't stick it in the mail on Friday and expect it to be in the contest - if he doesn't have it in hand on his computer by Friday evening...it's a candidate for '09 at best...)

That's fast approaching, so get your AMVs in NOW. ;D

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2008, 12:14:22 am »
just sent my email with the info for my AMVs  ;D

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »
Oh well, my trailer was going downhill anyway and I can't burn a disk to save my life. Many hoops were jumped through to figure out just how to work my last AMV, I think I'll try again next year.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2008, 11:08:15 pm »
Er... Sorry about the double-post, but I finished my trailer and I'm really proud of it. I was wondering, then, can I still submit it if I somehow manage to get it uploaded to animemusicvideos or megaupload? Once again it's somehow managed to be 600+ megabytes, but I can't encode, compress or anything otherwise to save my life. That's the only way that my computer will save to AVI. I'm really really really sorry if it's too much trouble, I just won't submit it if you don't want me to.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2008, 12:35:35 am »
Quote from: LtCommanderRichie
...  it's somehow managed to be 600+ megabytes, but I can't encode, compress or anything otherwise to save my life.

1: Get a free copy of Virtual Dub 1.6.6 (or similar) from www.doom9.org

2: Read through the instructions in the 'AMV Compression' thread someone else started in Convention Community -> General Discussion. Let me know if that works.

- GLL

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: AMV Contest OP Progress 2008
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2008, 12:18:39 am »
JUST ABOUT FINISHED!~

I have two versions, and I can't decide which one I like better.
(Four clips in over a certain time interval, which order should I use ?!?)

For kicks, here's a list of the anime I used

Bamboo Blade
Black Lagoon *
Code Geass LeLouch of the Rebellion
Dallos
Death Note
D.Gray Man
Galaxy Angels RU-NE
Himawari no Sketch
Jigoku Shoujou
Kamen no Maid Guy *
Kanokon *
Millenium Actress
Neon genesis Evangelion
Nitaboh
Prism Ark
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Xenosaga (game footage)
Zegapain

* These are short clips and/or they appear in unusual or distorted views where it's really hard to recognize the footage.

Also some references to:
Azumanga Daioh,
Bleach,
Sailor Moon,
Dr Who (ancient) and
MST3K

Anyways tomorrow I take 10-sec clips from all the entries, and make little 'review' mini-AMVs (EIGHT of THOSE to do) and also make up the BALLOTS for printing.

*Great weekend!*

See you all NEXT WEEEEEK!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:41:10 am by Prinz Eugen »