Author Topic: Suggest me some anime and manga, you guys! (edited a bit)  (Read 3603 times)

Offline cupcake_abuser_zooshi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
Suggest me some anime and manga, you guys! (edited a bit)
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »
The last few years of my life have been pretty scarce as far as anime goes. I still enjoy it. I still love going to the con. It's actually the biggest anime-related thing that happens to me anymore. I just haven't had the time or the drive to get in to any new series.
But I'm really wanting to jump in again, and I need a bit of help.

(EDITED) My FAVORITES of the ones I've seen/read are:
Elfen Lied
Wolf's Rain
FLCL
Azumanga Daioh
Hana Kimi
The Wallflower
Yotsuba
FMA
Evangelion
Serial Experiments Lain
Chobits
Card Captor Sakura
Gravitation
Kino's Journey
Crescent Moon
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo

I started getting into Speed Grapher before TVlinks shut down. I'd like to continue that one.
I'd also like to see more of the two most ESSENTIAL series to watch, that I've only seen chunks of, which are Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. I've seen enough to know what's going on, but I've never been able to actually sit and watch every episode. I need to do it. Like REALLY need to.

I'm also interested in seeing/reading:
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Saikano
Haibane Renmei
XXX holic
Ouran Highschool Host Club

So, based on my lists, which series would you recommend?
Ones I haven't heard of/listed, please!
(I typically prefer manga to anime, if the manga came first. But it varies.)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:26:09 pm by cupcake_abuser_zooshi »

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
Re: Suggest me some anime and manga, you guys!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:40:32 pm »
If you'd like see more of what GAINAX has done (FLCL, Evangelion) I would check out Aim for the Top! (Gunbuster) and Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise. Otaku no Video is a good way to "jump in" to anime again, but it is less seriously than most of GAINAX's other titles. Check out Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, it is really good.

To get a different spin on the Virtual World and Real World collided than that portrayed in Lain, check out Dennou Coil. Haibane Renmei is a really great work by the creator of Lain, so I suggest you definitly look into it.

Since you like Kino no Tabi, definitely check out Mushi-shi. Same concept, but deals with Japanese folk lore and mythology.

If you're not reading the FMA manga, you should be.
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:16:57 pm »
I watch too much anime for my own good. I'll try my best to narrow it down.

Code Geass is a MUST. Its one of a kind in its genre and everything about it is awesome. It does involve some mechs, but the execution makes the series one of the best I've seen to date.

Gunslinger Girls is not too bad as well since you've seen Lain and Kino. Brainwashed, or 'conditioned' girls trained to kill in undercover missions, supervised by their caretaker (forgot the term used in the series). Googling it will probably give you a better description than I am right now ^^;

Paranoia Agent is pretty good too. It is done by the same production team who made Paprika.

You could jump to the popular Shonen Jump series such as Death Note, Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach and enjoy their manga-anime counterparts. I recommend Claymore.

Original anime series are getting popular these days. Including Speed Grapher, Darker than Black, Romeo x Juliet, Blood+, Eureka Seven are a few. These however can be a hit and miss for some (Darker than Black is bi-episodic, while the animation in Blood+ and Eureka Seven is inconsistent from episode to episode. Romeo x Juliet I just plain didn't like.)

Angelic Layer was awesome. It is about a girl who gets into the world of the game Angelic Layer, where dolls a Deus creates battle each other. I was really obsessed with it for a while and I would recommend a look-see. CLAMP is behind the story concept and there is a 5 volume manga series.

Offline Briar

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 06:09:02 pm »
W-Juliet and Girl Got Game are both pretty good, I think you would like them if you like Hana Kimi, and also Boys over Flowers(Hana Yori Dango) is another good one.

Fake is pretty good as well.
If barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:27:53 pm »
My recomendation is Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's an older series, but it has really held up well. There is no other series like it because it is just so unique.

I don't know if you like sports anime, but Slam Dunk! is a really good series. Once again, an older show (I've been going through a classic anime stint lately), but so funny! And the manga is finally getting licensed.

For newer stuff, Last Exile is really good. I love the opening song.

I know there's a ton more, but I can't think of them right now.

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:22:55 pm »
I watch too much anime for my own good. I'll try my best to narrow it down.

Code Geass is a MUST. Its one of a kind in its genre and everything about it is awesome. It does involve some mechs, but the execution makes the series one of the best I've seen to date.

Gunslinger Girls is not too bad as well since you've seen Lain and Kino. Brainwashed, or 'conditioned' girls trained to kill in undercover missions, supervised by their caretaker (forgot the term used in the series). Googling it will probably give you a better description than I am right now ^^;

Paranoia Agent is pretty good too. It is done by the same production team who made Paprika.

You could jump to the popular Shonen Jump series such as Death Note, Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach and enjoy their manga-anime counterparts. I recommend Claymore.

Original anime series are getting popular these days. Including Speed Grapher, Darker than Black, Romeo x Juliet, Blood+, Eureka Seven are a few. These however can be a hit and miss for some (Darker than Black is bi-episodic, while the animation in Blood+ and Eureka Seven is inconsistent from episode to episode. Romeo x Juliet I just plain didn't like.)

Angelic Layer was awesome. It is about a girl who gets into the world of the game Angelic Layer, where dolls a Deus creates battle each other. I was really obsessed with it for a while and I would recommend a look-see. CLAMP is behind the story concept and there is a 5 volume manga series.

oops. I actually have seen Paranoia Agent. I forgot to put that one in my list, along with a couple others. XD
Thanks a lot for the other suggestions though! I'll be sure to look in to them!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
Re: Suggest me some anime and manga, you guys! (edited a bit)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:44:56 pm »
I agree, the Cowboy Bebop and Trigun anime are a must. I've heard the Trigun manga is also good, but I've also heard it's very different from the anime. Trigun anime is hilarious and not the best quality, but still awesome. I also agree that you should read FMA as opposed to watching it. I definitely prefer the manga. ^^

The way I always find new manga is either see what people think of the current popular manga (One Piece, Naruto, etc), or find one with an art style I really like then look up the story. That's just cuz I'm picky about art, though. : P Hope you find some you really like! ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:23:30 am »
If you like Lain and EVA, I suggest Digimon Tamers (season three). No kidding--it's written by the same guy who wrote Lain, and it plays out like a PG-rated EVA, even down to Jeri's hallucinations mirroring Asuka's flashbacks.

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 11:33:51 am »
If you like Lain and EVA, I suggest Digimon Tamers (season three). No kidding--it's written by the same guy who wrote Lain, and it plays out like a PG-rated EVA, even down to Jeri's hallucinations mirroring Asuka's flashbacks.
Woah, really? That's really cool! I remember watching the third season, and it did seem a little darker than previous ones. It's probably my favorite, along side the 2nd one.
Haha...oh Digimon. That's what really got me into anime.

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 03:09:18 pm »
3rd season of Digimon was my all time favorite of them all. When 4th season hit it just wasn't the same greatness as the previous.

I'll have to check out Lain. My sister watched the whole series when I was younger and it made my head hurt XD;

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 06:43:16 pm »
To get off topic, I was going to say this, but I forgot- I love your avatar ^_^. I love Azumanga Daioh and V for Vendetta!

*on topic* The X manga is really good. And if you like Serial Experiments Lain, try Boogiepop Phantom. It has a really Lain-esque feel.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:56:20 am »
I'm a manga over anime person too so I'll try to give a few suggestions.

Someone mentioned Angelic Layer manga and I second that suggestion.  It's 5 volumes, the battles are not dragged out and they make sense, and it has a nice level of cuteness and humor in it.

Nodame Cantabile: Chiaki is a musician in college and wants to become a conductor.  Nodame is a crazy girl who adores Chiaki (quite openly too) and lives next door to him.  She is an amazing piano player but can only play a song after she has heard it because she can't read music sheets as well.  The series follows Chiaki, Nodame, and the other students who are involved in the orchestra.
Very humorous and a fun plot to follow along.

Love Com (or Love Complex): Otani and Risa are considered the "Hanshin and Kyoshin Comedy Duo" at school.  Otani (the guy) one of the shortest students at school while Risa (the girl) is the the tallest girl in the school.  They always argue over every little thing but everyone else around them think they would make a great couple.  As the story progresses their friendship between each other begins to develop.
Someone over here in the anime club thought the story had a bunch of love story cliches in but I disagree.  It does have some cliches in it but they end with a very unpredicted twist.

Possibly more to come since I can't remember all the series I have back home. >.<

And to add on to the series you're interested in reading/watching, I highly recommend Haibane and Ouran.  Saikano I don't think I can recommend properly but only because I haven't seen or read enough of it.  I'm sure someone can give better information on it.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:04:01 pm »
I can shed some light on saikano.
If you liked evangelion on the whole than you will probably appreciate it.
However if you disliked evangelions ending, that being the one called end of evangelion then I suggest against watching this anime.
Overall its good, the action sequences are well done and the characters loveable. However mid way through the series it takes a very dark turn. In fact the series tells you to stop watching if you like a happy ending at about episode 10 or so. Otherwise you can watch the last 3 episodes to get the ending the writers intended, however I warn you it will leave you more depressed than the robot in hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.