Poll

Select how you feel about the Bylaws.

What are bylaws? (No seriously, I didn't know what they were.)
0 (0%)
I don't care about that boring political crud.
7 (53.8%)
I've read the old one. (EDIT at 0 votes: and Don't care about reading the new one.)
0 (0%)
I check the official Bylaws sticky thread whenever it says 'new'.
3 (23.1%)
I've read MichaelEvans' latest unofficial draft and don't really have any input.
0 (0%)
Other (Please post beneath)
0 (0%)
I'm making my own version/list of things I want the bylaws to say
1 (7.7%)
I knew about the old one, but had no idea there was a new one/that the sticky topic was for me too.
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Bylaws Under Review - and - Opinion Poll  (Read 4852 times)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Bylaws Under Review - and - Opinion Poll
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:30 pm »
I'm actually concerned about the fact that only two other users seem to have even commented on my unofficial drafts at all, or showed any recent interest in the status of any new bylaws version at all.

Really, I'm trying to find out if it's a complete lack of interest, automatic ignore for all sticky topics, or some other cause.  My worst case fear is that democracy will fail on a small scale for the same reason it seems to in our land of the free... apathy brought on by glacial pace of change.

- update -

Modified topic, added a few extra voting choices I missed.

The bylaws are the rules under which Kumoricon, and all other Altonimbus Entertainment activities operate under.  They are the organizational equivalent of law, and dictate how things are to be done and who may do them.

It would be nice if someone, especially someone who has been on either of the Bylaws committees (there was one last year when I started volunteering/became staff, then with the new board, a new committee was appointed), could provide more details about when exactly they started and their official mandate.  However I'll tell you what I know.

• The current bylaws are not nearly complete enough, many loopholes, ambiguities, and inferred practices exist.
  • There has been a bylaws committee for at least 7 months, probably a few months longer then that.
  • For something that has such a great effect, like a new constitution for a country would, we have heard very, very little except that it exists in some form that 'will hopefully be done soon' (the impression I got from the replies in the official thread.)
  • There has been shockingly little involvement of the membership as a whole, we have not even been asked what our goals are. 
    Article 1: Statement of Purpose

Altonimbus Entertainment is a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation organized for the collaboration of individuals with an interest in the promotion of pop cultures through media.
    So where, exactly is this collaboration?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:21:49 am by MichaelEvans »
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Re: Bylaws - Opinion Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:48:01 pm »
I'm very much interested but my hands are somewhat tied.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
Re: Bylaws - Opinion Poll
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:30:38 pm »
   Well I think there is a big gap that your putting down between people who are politicaly inclined and others that are not fully aware of what they do (Bylaws) and how they can help put them together. Also when there is a topic that says "Bylaws" it doesn't suggest that its under development or that it needs reviewing by members, so people might just be misinformed.
   Maybe it would go better if you made a topic named "Bylaws needs reviews!" and explained what they are, why they need them and how we can help out. Reason being, this is a time of instant reward/satisfaction if you send out a need, give directions, then you most likely will get results.
   Hope this helps you out I think it might condense what people are thinking. But if it doesn't, don't mind me I'm just new. I might have missed your meaning on whole, and I most certainly don't want to imply that I know what everyone wants, just my honest opinion.
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Re: Bylaws Under Review - and - Opinion Poll
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:27:47 am »
You made some excellent points, I added an option that was a better fit for my vote, but couldn't see how to actually modify my choice. (I Set that as an option in the initial poll creation though... which ticks me off that I didn't see a button/link for altering my own vote...)

The poll has been reset, if there are any other options I missed, please let me know.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:31:47 am »
There has been a bylaws committee for at least 7 months, probably a few months longer then that.[/

When the new board was elected, the old committees were dissolved and new ones made.  The current bylaws committee has only been in existance since October. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:28:17 pm »
Thanks, hopefully it will help. Its hard for me to suggest anything being really new and haven't even been to any sort of meet up...
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 03:49:39 pm »
I think like many organizations, there will only a be a few who are inclined to take on the detailed and administrative grunt work. I wouldn't say that it's always a complete lack of interest, sometimes volunteers or anyone involved could be intimated, thinking that they don't know enough or have enough experience to have a valid opinion. Perhaps if there was a way to address everyone involved in another matter, such as through private messages or an email list? That might give the impression of personal responsibility and incline someone to at least comment on it some more.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 10:50:02 pm »
There has been a bylaws committee for at least 7 months, probably a few months longer then that.

When the new board was elected, the old committees were dissolved and new ones made.  The current bylaws committee has only been in existance since October. 

I'd covered that in the chunk just above the list.  However, the point still stands, it should -not- take this long to have results you can show... nor...

It would be nice if someone, especially someone who has been on either of the Bylaws committees (there was one last year when I started volunteering/became staff, then with the new board, a new committee was appointed), could provide more details about when exactly they started and their official mandate.  However I'll tell you what I know.

... ,in reply to Simon Young, should it take this long to at least openly ASK the membership what they would like to see, or what they think of an existing draft.  While I have not formally done the former, it is more implied in my unofficial, and purely membership based desire, to see such input occur.

My whole issue is that at the moment, it looks like we've been under the vague direction of leaders who are wasting precious months that we can be performing Proper Prior Planning (to) Prevent Piss Poor Performance (Brownie's election speech) during.  While at the same time keeping everything secretive within the Board.  It reminds me very much of every-thing I dislike about the current President/Administration of the US.  There simply have to be positive things, plans, goals, details that we're at least sharing to see if we like the ideas.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 02:39:46 am »
Just a reminder here, to actually check the official thread at the top of this forum in the sticky threads section.

Or for a quick link, click here.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 02:47:33 pm »

... ,in reply to Simon Young, should it take this long to at least openly ASK the membership what they would like to see, or what they think of an existing draft.  While I have not formally done the former, it is more implied in my unofficial, and purely membership based desire, to see such input occur.

My whole issue is that at the moment, it looks like we've been under the vague direction of leaders who are wasting precious months that we can be performing Proper Prior Planning (to) Prevent Piss Poor Performance (Brownie's election speech) during.  While at the same time keeping everything secretive within the Board.  It reminds me very much of every-thing I dislike about the current President/Administration of the US.  There simply have to be positive things, plans, goals, details that we're at least sharing to see if we like the ideas.

Ok, I am going to ignore the fact that you specified the Bush Administration among various presidential administrations, because national politics are a separate issue.  You can feel about any party however you want, but we are gathered here as anime fans and bringing political feelings into the mix in anyway can cause miscommunications and tangents. 

That said, unlike a Presidential Administration we don't get paid.  We all do this work because we love the con.  We are working hard on many things and we have talked about many of the things we are working on during meetings.  If people have concerns about how the board is run as a whole, I am the one to talk to. 

Yes, we have heard that people want more of an idea about what goes on with the board and we are in the process of taking steps to help that.  One step was mentioned at the last meeting.  We want non-board members on various committees that we will form during the year.  Whether or not board members will also be on these committees, it will mean more and more people working directly with the board.  We *want* people to know what we do and how our jobs work.  This is partially because we want more people capable of doing our jobs.  We don't want the same people on the board every year. 

That is also why we now are requiring Board members to get assistants.

I would like the membership to be even more aware of what the board does.  I am working on some ideas :)  Feel free to make suggestions if you have any.

I assure you that we are not doing Piss Poor Planning.  Since I have become involved with the con at higher levels I have been impressed with how complex various jobs are and how competant and dedicated many people are.  Honestly, when I hear the staff as a whole, or any subset of the staff brushed off as incompetant or uncaring it's hard for me to not take it very personally. 

We appriciate that you and others have concerns.  However, please deal with these concerns by talking to us and not by making posts that can be seen as very insulting.  I don't know if that was your intent, but your comments comparing us to the Bush administration could be taken that way.

If you have further or other concerns, please don't hesitate to talk to me :)  Well, you or anyone.  As Vice Chair I see it as my job to help people get connected and communicate.  We all have a common goal, for this con to be as awesome as it can be :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:57:09 pm by Rathany »
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:03:35 pm »
As you in fact quoted, it looks like...  The specific parts of the current US administration that I'm alluding to were intended to be the fact that even though progress may be happening, there is very little proper communication of where and how that is occurring.

A great place to correct such deficiencies is at the general meetings, where each department is supposed to provide a status report.  It would be extremely useful if each department generated a report based on what I refer to as Department Structure Documents.  Which are a fancy name for a detailed version of the info in our org charts, possibly in other formats as well.  The report would list all projects, all members assigned to each project, and the status update from each project.  Such a report need not be published only at the meetings, and could simply be included as a document filed for inclusion in the minutes.  I thought this was something we were already supposed to do, if informally however...

As far as the Proper Prior Planning (As opposed to Piss Poor Planning, which I did not accuse anyone of.), I, and quite possibly many others in the Membership have -no idea- if anything has been going on or not.  We have not been properly briefed, and even if nothing has been going on, as I fear, there is yet time to correct it.  Every passing week without it the cost of executing it properly for a seamless convention rises, but it is not yet beyond our power to do so successfully.  Though I would very much like to start as soon as possible so that there is ample time to work out any glitches and adapt to situational changes within a flexible framework, then to wait until the last moment when we're out of time to properly execute a lasting solution.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 05:52:16 pm »
Well, we do give department reports at meetings.  And those reports are put into our meeting minutes.  There is also the opportunity for people to ask us questions in front of the membership, or to talk to us one on one. 

I think that having to add paperwork by having us fill out forms would be a hard sell, though.  As Vice Chair, I work on alot of small, somewhat informal projects.  Trying to make a form that would suit all our jobs and accurately chart our progress would be very time consuming.  Also, we could get bogged down in chat constitutes a project.  Feel free to send me the form, but I must say that my first thought is that this kind of system would bog us down in paperwork and semantics when our time would be better spent working on said projects. 

I can't really judge until I see the form you are talking about, but I think that would just change the format and not the content of what we report. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 06:29:54 pm »
as someone who has been involved with Kumoricon since before it was formed(I went to TUNAC meetings with Peter and Duncan and went to Sakuracon with them and many others the year before the first K-con) this is the most rigidly I have seen the con move. I know the con has a lot of liabilities, I'm just saying I remember when Gen. meetings were 12 or so of us sitting outside one of the UO buildings chatting and planning.
 At the last meeting it felt more like High School debate club than an Anime con meeting.
 Admittedly I'm not involved in the upper operations of the con, but I don't think anyone would do anything to intentionally harm the con itself, I trust the board to do what is best for the con being as everyone involved with the con wants it to survive and continue. If people didn't love Kumoricon then why would they give up so much of their free time and work themselves to exhaustion and beyond for 3 days?
 My post is based more on feeling and emotion than cold hard facts(just how I am :D) but I don't think being suspicious of everything the board does is healthy.
 Sorry for the long post.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 09:14:28 pm »
I think it is essential to have a well written set of by-laws, but the by-laws are not general rules of conduct that everyone in the membership is legally bound to or obligated to.  The by-laws are, in my personal interperetation, something to develop the rules and regulations from.  A casual congoer won't have any interest in knowing what regulations dictate the staff members.  A serious member will, if necessary, speak for amendment of the by-laws.  I don't really see the significance of the issue here.  One of the first things I did after handing in my staff registration form was re-read the by-laws with an editor's eye.  Certainly, any other member serious about the organisation is capable of reading a 6-page set of regulations formally dictating the conduct of the organisation and its members.  I'm very content with the by-laws we have, beyond basic phraseology.  At least they're available to the general public.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 10:52:45 pm »
The problem is, the current bylaws are good enough to look good at a glance, and work well when everyone has the best intentions in mind.  However they leave too many questions unanswered, too many important details to other areas.  For one example, the requirements on the staff registration form are actually well above and beyond the current bylaws specification (Or it's so dispersed that I can't easily find it).  They can be arbitrarily changed over time without notice or proper oversight as well.

Much like the founding fathers of the US; who were very well educated and intellectual about what freedom meant to them and how to best preserve it, in their time and with the tools available; I too believe that a government should be defined by what it is allowed to do.  That the people should be free by default. Ideally without modification, but realistically some things, particularly tools that promote fair allocation of naturally scarce resources (IE, making theft of physical things a crime.), are a necessity.

My draft of the bylaws is focused on preserving those ideals.  I've tried my best to define a system with it that ensures the best preservation of existing good practice and add flexibility for the membership to provide oversight.  Clearly defining that initial delegation of leadership is to the board, which is then re-invested in departments, and through them, delegated back out as specific jobs/functions.

My latest draft is in the Bylaws thread... but you can read it by clicking here too (it's actually the download link, but it might open directly too.)
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 12:39:01 am »
Well, that answers my question sufficiently.  My eyes are a bit too sore to read much more tonight, but tomorrow I might download your draft, print both off, and compare them directly beside each other.  I'll be at the arcade for the better part of the day, but after around 7-ish or 8-ish I should have a chance to do something productive.

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:29 am »
as someone who has been involved with Kumoricon since before it was formed(I went to TUNAC meetings with Peter and Duncan and went to Sakuracon with them and many others the year before the first K-con) this is the most rigidly I have seen the con move. I know the con has a lot of liabilities, I'm just saying I remember when Gen. meetings were 12 or so of us sitting outside one of the UO buildings chatting and planning.
 At the last meeting it felt more like High School debate club than an Anime con meeting.
 Admittedly I'm not involved in the upper operations of the con, but I don't think anyone would do anything to intentionally harm the con itself, I trust the board to do what is best for the con being as everyone involved with the con wants it to survive and continue. If people didn't love Kumoricon then why would they give up so much of their free time and work themselves to exhaustion and beyond for 3 days?
 My post is based more on feeling and emotion than cold hard facts(just how I am :D) but I don't think being suspicious of everything the board does is healthy.
 Sorry for the long post.

I disagree with this statement, and I'm sure others do as well. A lot of people manage to get by as staff, and regardless of position or intent to, damage the con VERY MUCH.

It's natural for a people to be suspicious of their governments, and it's natural for staff to be suspicious of their Board. If the Board did not insist on doing so many things without the knowledge of the staff, I am sure the staff would not be so keen to cry conspiracy. More openness and communication will pull down the walls that create an us vs. them atmosphere. This is the people's republic of Kumoricon, not the supreme dictatorship of the Board.

Think about it.
I can has cheezburger?

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 02:29:27 pm »
I'm just curious about why you would call the board a dictatorship? What have they done to be branded as such? If you have specifics that would be great.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 02:56:56 pm »
To quote my avatar, "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people." That being said, I do not think the board is being run like a dictatorship. Everyone has the con's best interests at heart but when a convention grows, we must make changes to how things are run if we are to adapt to the con's growth.

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 07:34:07 pm »
As a board member, founder, and someone that used to sit at those meetings with Beau, I'd basically like to say: ASK US!

We hear over and over that the board doesn't tell people things, or that we're hiding things, etc. I assure you, this is not the case. The con ultimately is run by, frankly, nerds. Most of us are introverts, and most of us aren't big on talking for more than we have to. And ultimately, none of us really want to sit in front of everyone and spout everything that's going on, because it will cause two possible outcomes:

1. People will get bored, and start doing something else, or fall asleep. or...
2. Everything becomes noise, and no one remembers any of it because there's just too much.

So, ask us. If you want to know something, ask about it. If we can answer, we will. If we can't, we will tell you why. But if you don't show interest in a topic, then we have no incentive to talk about said topic. It's no different than people complaining about US politics, but then failing to vote during elections. Ultimately, we have no idea who is interested in what, unless it's in their specific department (and therefore logic would deduce they're interested in that area of the con).

We aren't some secret government (and I'm extremely insulted every time someone says we are), and never have been (though, objectively, I'm sure we could have been seen this way before). This con was started by IT professionals: Nerds/geeks (I don't say Otaku because it's not generally considered a "good" term in Japanese). AN until the collapse was these same people. We instilled these "bad habits" into the organization that came after the collapse. Sure, we've tried to open up more, but it really does take people asking about things, in a friendly/polite way.

Okay. *sigh* Sorry to come off defensive, but I ultimately agree with Beau's sentiment. He's basically saying in the old days, it was a very personal, social meeting structure. Everyone knew what was going on, because we all just chatted for the duration of the meeting. If you were interested, you talked to the person that was leading the "department" (there really were no departments until just before Kumoricon 2004). Unfortunately, that structure doesn't really scale so well when you have 100+ staff (it's hard to just "chat" with that many people all at once). But, there is the idea that the department breakouts are more like this, which is why we try to keep the general "meeting" part short so that breakouts can happen, and work can get done. I assure you, however, that after the main part of the meeting breaks, anyone can come talk to anyone one on one, and you'll get a more "chat" style meeting. We're all friendly, just not particularly extroverted.

Thanks for reading. =)
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 11:28:10 pm »
Who exactly are you replying to?  I can't tell from the lack of a form-name reference.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 11:35:51 pm »
anyone who's reading.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 01:12:22 am »
Viewing the Board as a governing body is ridiculous.  It is not a governing body.  The foundation of this convention is open-opportunity.  The Board is composed of what about 100 of the most dedicated persons amongst the membership deem to be 5 of the most dedicated persons amongst the membership.

As someone who builds and designs things for a life (not quite a living though), I can say that, when trying to improve something, one should extend the existing concept into next concepts.  It is foolish to tear down the existing concepts and replace them with something opposite and try to pass it as an "improvement".  That's a restructurization.  In government, it's a revolution.  An anime convention should never experience a revolution.

Kumoricon is growing and the responsibility of the staff and board grows with it, but I think it's vital that it be viewed as a gathering of friends, not an event run by scheming strangers, who operate behind closed doors.  People come to kumoricon because their friends brought them to it or told them about it.  It's divided into many rooms where people can have small groups and form smaller groups of friends.  At the end, we all sit together and the hardest working, friendliest among us are acknowledged, and we show support for our friends who will leave the convention with a sense of accomplishment.

The Board makes decisions because that's what they have been selected to do.  Being a board member does not make a person miraculously inhuman; none of them have displayed a refusal to discuss issues or simply talk and be friends when I've approached them.  My favourite English teacher (and I know a lot of spiffy English teachers) has a philosophy that no rules should exist unless they seem like they'll be broken.  I back this philosophy and feel that it should be reflected in the by-laws.  Why fix what isn't broken?