Author Topic: General cosplay advice needed!  (Read 1579 times)

Offline snafu

• Sailor Scout
General cosplay advice needed!
« on: January 11, 2008, 04:39:11 pm »
Okay, so here's the situation: this' going to be my second KC, and hopefully the first one I'll be there for more than one day for.  We got tickets for Spamalot on the second day in '07, ruining my plans to be more involved in stuff... but that's beside the point for this topic.

In the past year, I've done very simple cosplays - including Nabeshin at KC (though half the people thought I was Lupin  ::) ).  And after being introduced to a lot of new (to me) anime since then, I've decided to try a crossplay.  Specifically, I'd like to do Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh - I figure I should start now, as I'm unsure how limited my time's going to be closer to con time.

As for the pieces, weelll:
-The wig I have, it just needs to be brushed back into order, etc.

-The costume itself I'll probably be ordering off the net, and adding some improved pieces to.  Right now, I'm looking at this site's: http://www.cosplaymagic.com/azdascun1.html  The thing that jumps out at me is that the cord around the collar needs to be changed to be the appropriate color.

-I've yet to find someone with the know-how to assist with makeup for it.  My sister knows a bit, but she does special effects for theater, etc., not just what she calls 'street makeup'.  And I have not the skillz myself.  This is likely the biggest obstacle for me.

So any opinions/assistance on how to get this together is greatly appreciated!

Offline anime_rocker

• Sailor Scout
Re: General cosplay advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:19:05 pm »
 i have no idea who that is, buti hope ur seach goes well!^_^
i wanna be a mongoose. can i be a mongoose dog?

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
Re: General cosplay advice needed!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:21:13 pm »
Make up is rather easy. If you're a guy, the general first thought is "I don't want my eye poked out." It won't be poked out.

I use my index finger and stretch my eye at the corner, to make myself look chinese or something, and then with my dominant hand apply as close as I can to the edge of my eyelid black eyeliner. It might take you a few tries, especially if you haven't done it before, but that way if you somehow 'miss', you won't poke your eye, it will be your eyelid. I use something of a 'mechanical' eyeliner, or a self sharpening one, so it's soft, and isn't a pencil.

For mascara it's the typical bend forward and look up with your mouth hanging open technique. I'm pretty sure that one's self explanitory, but if not, let me know and I'll describe it.

Mostly, I just add a little bit of eyeliner, and maybe some mascara, and I'm done. Because my skin is so flawless ( Not trying to brag. ~.~;; ) I don't need cover up, or powder, etc.

But if you have acne, or have other things you're worried over and are self consious about, you could apply cover up. You need it to match the color of your skin tone, obviously. But after that dab your index finger into it, and place spots on either cheek, forehead, nose and chin. Not big runny spots, but enough that it's noticeable. After that you use one of those... er, things that women use to blend. If you don't have one of those, then use your ring finger (as that's the finger that applies less pressure) to blend the makeup. My mother applies powder afterward, to blend further. Usually if I ever apply cover up, afterward I take a portable mirror and stand outside in the natural light to see if it's noticeable, or if I missed a spot.

Hope that helps.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay