Author Topic: the total number of people who came!!!  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Daystar

• Secretary
  • Sailor Scout
the total number of people who came!!!
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:51:27 pm »
hello, i was helping with the info desk when you guys added the total number of people who came to the con :oops: ... this is significant because i provided an approximate number of preregistered people... the number i provided was 436 (dont ask where it came from... at least it was sorta close... lol) so... the total number the was added was 1251, and the new number is 1275 incase you were wondering... i was about 24 people off.  :D  tankies
'04 Volunteer
'05 Assistant to the Operations Director
'06 Info Booth
'07 Panels Staff
'08 Panels Coordinator
'09 Panels Coordinator
'10 Assistant Programming Director
'11 Assistant Programming Director
'12 Assistant Programming Director

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 06:05:49 pm »
Chia!  I was in the closing ceremonies! The cheering was so loud when they announced the number of people who came!  It was cool!

But there would have been more if there hadn't been an attendance cap... :cry:

There was even a group of 8 Sailor Mercuries who were going to come, near my area.  I assume they didn't get in, since I didn't see any of them.  I wonder if they stopped for breakfast and missed the window.... :?

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 07:24:55 pm »
That registration number was so high it blew just about everyone on staff away... it almost seemed like I needed to tell staff members two or three times before they believed me when I was running around ranting joyously about the number of attendees (which I was affectionately referring to as the "body count").  I'd say that qualifies as a raging success, particularly when we were originally going into the weekend looking at 850-900 as our likely turnout.

In terms of registration closing, it literally made me ill to turn even one person (if you don't believe me, ask Nyco... she notified me today that I looked utterly pale after registration on Saturday afternoon, and it was the first time I felt like there was no color in my skin because I was so drained).  We might have come close to 1500 if we didn't have to turn people away... We likely have the Oregonian to thank in that respect... the article really boosted attendance massively, even though it caught many of us off guard (myself included), as Friday was the earliest we heard of said article, and it came too late to allow pre-registrations from the article as a result.

To anyone who didn't get inside for whatever reason, I AM SO SORRY!  Nobody wanted to close registration for even a moment, but insurance, fire codes, capacity limits and the like pushed us into a corner that we hope to be prepared for next year.

And for every single one of you who came to Kumoricon and spent any or all of the weekend with us, THANK YOU!!!  To not give all 1200+ of you at least a little of the credit for making this con as much of a monster success as it was would be shortsighted indeed.  THANK YOU!!!

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Candeldandel

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 05:01:35 pm »
That's totally amazing. Yeah, when I got there early Sunday morning and it said registration was closed, I nearly burst into tears. Being stuck in the dealer's room because of unanticipated attendence is no fun. I did, however, get to be volunteer security. Oh. My. God. I have never had so much fun in my entire life. I hope to be on staff next year... Walking around just talking to people and being dressed up doesn't seem like it would be as rewarding as being able to help out and organize events and such. Ah, I can't wait until next year! XD