Author Topic: I need help with cosplay  (Read 1960 times)

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
I need help with cosplay
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:52:29 pm »
I was planning on going as Spike Spiegel from cowboy bebop for Sakuracon 08, but Im having trouble finding the suit part.

I've looked at all the goodwill stores in my area, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know a good place to find cheap second hand suits? Maybe you have 1337 sewing skills, and could help me out?

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
Re: I need help with cosplay
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:48:03 pm »
Are you anywhere near Portland? Downtown PDX has TONS of second-hand/used/consignment/vintage clothing stores, like Ray's Ragtime (corner of 10th and Morrison) and Buffalo Exchange (Burnside and 11th). Or you could just walk around the Pearl District and you might stumble upon a really cool second-hand clothing store ^_^.

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:41:52 pm »
I live in the Portland area, but Im kinda new here. Where is the pearl district? I can probably google the other locations.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to visit those places when I have some money.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 05:39:24 pm »
His cosplay isn't to hard. What you could do is just find a dark blue suit and pants, with yellow dress shirt and a black tie and you would almost be set. If you had someone who tailors, or sews, maybe yourself. You could get some extra light blue fabric and add it on to the collar, I don't think it would be to much work. Here's a good picture of what I'm talking about.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1425/702603924_76c05021b9.jpg?v=0

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 03:12:37 am »
The problem I'm having most is finding a blue suit thats my size. A few of the stores I looked around either didn't have a matching pair of pants or was too large for me.

Im sure it will come together fast when I find the right store. Like you said, its not a complicated cosplay. Although, I wished it would come together as nicely as the pic in your link.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 03:15:08 am by balmno »

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 06:03:44 pm »
Try finding a suit in your size that's in a different color - preferably white, beige or a light blue. Then, DYE it the appropriate shade of blue. Most dyes work well with natural fibers like cotton, silk and wool. I believe there are dyes for synthetics like polyester, but they are harder to find (and don't seem to work as well), so do your best to find a natura fiber suit. Men's Wearhouse often has good sales and could possibly have your size. Also, you might ask around to see if anyone you know has a suit that fits you that they'll allow you to dye (especially if that person has "outgrown" the suit and wants to send it off to Goodwill).

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:26:58 pm »
Actually I got lucky at a Goodwill, and Im about 90% done with it. All that needs to be done is get some fabric for the inner blue portion of the suit, and a tie.