Author Topic: DDR?  (Read 39717 times)

DDR?
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:45:51 pm »
are you going to have ddr? and if so what one?

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
DDR?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 07:14:38 pm »
We will be having DDR, as for which one, it'll all depend of what our gaming manager can get a hold of.
~Sean Larson~

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
DDR?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 12:25:41 am »
We also will be having a stepmania set up, so basically, if you're comfortable with that, the question of which one is kinda moot.  :-P

As for a console, I'm sure we'll have one... but as QEvil said... that'll be up to what we can get ahold of.

-Staze
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline fate

• Oni
Concerning Dancing / Button games ..
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 09:58:59 am »
If you're going to have a foot game; DDR, you've got to have a hand game; Gitaroo Man. Those two go hand - in - hand, in my opinion.
Sometimes you wake up.

Offline sakuri

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 12:42:39 pm »
Will we have to pay for playing, or is that still up in the air?

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
DDR?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
Games will be free with admission to the convention!
~Sean Larson~

Offline sakuri

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 01:35:45 pm »
Coolies.  Therefore I won't be losing five dollars while being an amateur.  Hehe.

Offline Shikamaru

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 06:36:36 am »
Are there any DDR players that would like to have a little competition? Like a tricks competition? and then we could get the audience to be judges or something?

"You can't see me!" - John Cena
"Omai bushu dayo!" - Me
"Cocaine is one helluva drug" - Rick James

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
    • http://24.20.135.157
DDR?
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 08:25:03 am »
I can bring a PC with Stepmania and every song, as for an actual machine I might be able to pull some strings and get a discount....

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 11:45:17 am »
There will be some sort of DDR tournament.  Outside of that, people are free to have small competitions, and who knows, maybe we'll have something for prizes when that comes around.  :-)
-Staze
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline Shikamaru

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 01:14:46 pm »
MMMMM prizes... sound good too

"Omai bushu dayo!" - Me

Offline DreamcastSi

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 05:30:53 pm »
I like the suggestion of scoring points on viewer reaction. Although it wasn't a competition, at Sakuracon, there were these two gouys who were playing MAX300 on heavy... I was in awe... They got an ovation from me... Unfortunately, I wont be competing... I can only pass a few songs on heavy on DDRMAX... Stepmania with the arrow keys is another story entirely.
hiro-sama daisuki!!! XD

Offline Shikamaru

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 06:23:43 am »
that's nothing. It really isn't about getting the highest score or being able to do the hardest song for me anymore. It's more about what kind of moves can I preform while hitting all the arrows.  
I'm a big guy and I can do Max300. It's basically like this. Once you do a song X amount of times, you tend to remember the steps hence making it easier. That's what I think.

"Omai bushu dayo!" - Me

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 10:57:37 am »
yes, that's very true.  

Eugene is graced to have within it's city limits one of the best DDR players in the world.  Seeing him play is amazing... but some of the songs he obviously has memorized, so, likewise, he can play then backward (not facing the screen).  While everyone knows he has the song memorized, it still is amazing to see someone do something on Heavy or Oni and get a A, all while not facing the screen.  :-P
-Staze

Offline LithiumFlower

• Oni
DDR?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 11:49:03 am »
You guys should have a 'Worst DDR Player' contest for fun. ^.^

I know I would win that one. ^.^
My name is Princess A. Frodo.  It's a pleasure to meet you.  Pardon me while I pour this BBQ sauce over your arm and begin to eat you. ^.^

Offline Shikamaru

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 12:03:25 pm »
Quote from: "LithiumFlower"

I dunno... I know someone who would probably give you some competition on being the worst. *^_^*

"Omai bushu dayo!" - Me

Offline LithiumFlower

• Oni
DDR?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 01:56:39 pm »
That would make it hillarious! ^.^
My name is Princess A. Frodo.  It's a pleasure to meet you.  Pardon me while I pour this BBQ sauce over your arm and begin to eat you. ^.^

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
DDR?
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 10:55:13 pm »
The best strategy ever for that:

Take a nap on the dance pad.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004, 08:10:32 am »
I always assumed dancing the can-can on one leg worked best for losing. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Shikamaru

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 08:33:33 am »
Or play DDR while drunk. I think I tried that once or twice. Didn't go over to well and I couldn't find the bathroom... I mean "THAT PERSON" couldn't find the bathroom  :oops:

"Omai bushu dayo!" - Me

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2004, 02:30:31 pm »
I actually managed to do the Bowser dance from Mario Party 1 back when I first started playing DDR... and it kept me from failing on my first song... Every time I've tried it since then it has failed miserably.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline DreamcastSi

• Cabbit
DDR?
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2004, 03:20:26 pm »
Not sure how hard it would be to do this, but what about setting up an XBOX with ultramix so people can challenge others online? I can see how getting an internet connection for that could be a small problem, but its an idea...
hiro-sama daisuki!!! XD

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2004, 11:57:24 pm »
not really an option.  the hotel wants $500/day for a _SHARED_ T1... not worth it at all.  There might be other options, I'm investigating that... but right now, there will be limited (at best) net access at the con.  That is not to say people can't pay for the highspeed access in their rooms, but actual con space may not have net connections short of phone lines and modems.  

But... we're keeping an open mind... if there is sufficient demand, I'm sure we can find a way to make it happen... considering I've never seen nor touched ultramix, I really don't have much of an idea about it.  As far as setting up an Xbox with Ultramix for standalone, I'm sure we could do that... but then, we're going to have at least 1 SM machine that'll have Ultramix songs on it anyway... ;-P
-Staze

Offline Lysanna

• Cabbit
    • Crappy DeviantArt
DDR?
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2004, 08:17:14 am »
Ultramix really isn't a very good version of DDR.  Musically and graphically.  A standalone Xbox with 4 pads on a nice big screen would be the best bet, I'd say.

But then, it's not my call.  ^^
Can't stop the desu.

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2004, 01:39:18 pm »
oh wow... ultramix supports 4 pads?  okay... well, we'll see how many pads we can come up with, and look into setting something like that up on a projector... since I would think a normal 27 inch tv would be a bit small for 4 people (or 2 doubles) people to use. since there is some question who our gaming director is... I'll speak with him/her once it's cleared up.
-Staze

Offline Lysanna

• Cabbit
    • Crappy DeviantArt
DDR?
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2004, 04:44:12 pm »
Yeah, it's the big Xbox DDR Deal.  I guess it makes up for the crummy selection of songs, and lack of good graphics.  I can donate a pad if you need one - as long as there's some kind of anti-pad-destroying measure in place.  :3
Can't stop the desu.

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
DDR?
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 07:59:15 pm »
I know a place that rents the arcade machines....the last thing I want to do is hold a DDR competition on a console version of DDR. Please dont do this. You cant do it...it's just not the same...

Offline Lysanna

• Cabbit
    • Crappy DeviantArt
DDR?
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 08:25:29 pm »
It can be done and has been done..  The downfall of DDR came when the elitists showed up and ruined it for us casual players.  Now we can't even get close to machines without a group of 30 people standing 5 inches away from the platform.  Do you know how it feels to be not so good when everyone there can do Maxx Unlimited on Heavy?  When I started playing DDR, on a 3rd Mix machine, if you could even play it at all it was a big event.  Now, if you can't close your eyes and get a zillion points on a maniac song, you're not going to be able to dance without feeling like a moron.

So, for those of us who do not feel we have to prove something, a console version is fine.  Especially on a budget.
Can't stop the desu.

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
DDR?
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2004, 09:07:25 pm »
I see how that makes sense but could we try and find people to bring hard pads at least?

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2004, 09:19:32 pm »
Stiffler, may not be an issue.  we'll see.  

Making you staff now... discuss this with me in one of the appropriate forum places.  ;-P
-Staze

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2004, 03:24:19 pm »
After reading Lysanna's post I thought of an idea and thought I should suggest it.  What if there was a time set up where "elite" DDR player's weren't allowed to play?  Something like nothing 7 feet or over on heavy.  I'm not sure how it would work but like I said it just came to mind.  Feel free to shoot down the idea.

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2004, 03:40:51 pm »
well... it doesn't sound like a bad idea... it would require a volunteer to watch.

once we have a real gaming director, we'll see what (s)he thinks.
-Staze

Offline Miko

• Oni
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/zeonic_miko
DDR?
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2004, 07:47:22 am »
DDR! *spaz* w007!!!!!! (is post whoreing)
"Everybody needs somebody to throw into oncomming traffic"~ Miko

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
DDR?
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2004, 05:02:03 pm »
I like that idea. Do you know when you'll have a definte list of what games will be available?

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
DDR?
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2004, 05:10:13 pm »
Well, that depends.  if you want a list of the games that will be available period... that could be a while, as we don't currently have a Gaming Director.  If you want a list of games that will be there for tournament/free play, that should be relatively soon.  We have a tournament director, and he is currently working on drawing out the rules, etc.  

Since this is the correct area for posting such things, feel free to post requests and maybe when we get enough we'll put up a poll... that is, if we have to decide between those that people are suggesting, or if there is some overwhelming want for a para para machine.
-Staze

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
DDR?
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2004, 09:59:50 pm »
I am pretty much done making rules and will explain them at the May 23rd meeting, I tried to specify pretty generic rules...exempt DDR...that falls under a different category....anyways, I thought I should post because I like seeing post's in the gaming section  :lol:

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR?
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2004, 09:09:02 pm »
Will you be posting the rules for DDR here or on the Contests link?

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
DDR?
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2004, 10:19:33 pm »
Since I have nothing to do right now...I SHALL POST THEM HERE!! (all rules still subject to change [within reason] without notice)

In all the contests that I have been the ways that has been the most enjoyable, is that you only compete within you range.. I.e. You can do a 7 step so you get partnered up with another person who can do a 7. Once you have a group, you flip a coin whoever wins choses 1st song...other person choses 2nd song...Then back to player 1 for the last song...best 2/3 continues...If you can think of any other way, post here...remember this what I remember to be the most enjoyable....P.S. I have a song list sorted by Step difficulty....Ja

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR?
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2004, 04:29:20 pm »
I'll describe how the tournaments at the UO go if you want.  You don't have to follow these but I just thought I should show them to you.

First you have divisions based on difficulty.  The last tourney I went to had a 5-8 division (Standard to Heavy, some lower Oni) and a 7-10 (Heavy to Oni, sometimes Nonstop) just to give you an idea.  For one division, there was the placement round where two random people played one song (the same song for everyone) and they received their seed number like in NCAA tournaments.  Everyone got in and it went #1 against #16, #2 against #15, etc.

Both players were given a piece of paper with five songs on it.  I forget some of the details, but both players eliminate one song each.  The higher seed chooses which side to play on (it does matter to some people).  It's best two out of three songs but if one player wins the first two songs in a row, the third song is not played.  Then there's the *cough* non-winner bracket.  That's kinda self-explanitory.  If a person loses two rounds, they're out permanently.  Depending on how many people there are, some have made it best 3 out of 5 songs and single elimination.  Once one division is done, repeat the same process for the next.

The "officials" based your score on some point system using the Perfects, Greats, etc. and not the score down at the bottom.  Your total combo doesn't play a role either.

The bad thing about this system (IMO) is that it takes all day to finish a tournament almost.  Wow, this took longer than I thought.  O.o

Vyse

DDR?
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2004, 11:36:56 pm »
In my town, our tournament just randomly pair us up.  The scoring is done by most # of PERFECTS and such, like:

1 PERFECT = 2 points
1 GREAT = 1 point

There should be the different division for Light, Standard, Heavy/Oni.  Heh, I've been to many a DDR tournament, and the rules have been different at each one and it took a lot of time to change them and make them fair DURING the tournament.  It's a big hold up, so make sure the rules will work and are set in stone before a tournament starts.

Kakashi
Team Arrow

DDR?
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2004, 09:24:52 pm »
Quote from: "Shikamaru"

I dunno... I know someone who would probably give you some competition on being the worst. *^_^*

Yeah, like a parent who is only there to watch his/her kid, but ends up winning the prize for their child.  :cry:  :roll:

Offline Beckey_Boo

• Oni
DDR?
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2004, 10:47:56 am »
I could possibly lend my PS2 and DDR MAX 2 for DDR.   :D

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
DDR?
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2004, 12:07:10 pm »
I have CDs of DDRMAX, MAX2, and Konamix. I could try bringing them, if it's necessary.

Offline Beckey_Boo

• Oni
DDR?
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2004, 09:36:36 am »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "Shikamaru"

Yeah, like a parent who is only there to watch his/her kid, but ends up winning the prize for their child.  :cry:  :roll:

Yes, I guess that COULD happen but if it did it would be very unfair and pathetic. What I'm concerned about in this topic is that there will most likely be people who will be bad on purpose to win. Basically you just have to stay off the beat, it wouldn't be too hard  :|

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
DDR?
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2004, 01:02:55 am »
The tournaments at the U of O are pretty fair and super-cool. I am totally in favor of Tyler's way of running them.

But yes... the main downside is that it takes forever, which is a problem we just can't have at a convention. It makes people unhappy.

However, don't be fooled. The main reason it takes so long is because it's best-of-3 AND has a loser's bracket. Eliminate one of those elements, and you've suddenly cut the tournament down by at least 2 hours (probably 30-40% less time for the average tourney).

By the way, if anyone running a gaming tournament needs spur-of-the-moment help, especially DDR, consider me your emergency tournament guy. I will make an effort to bring a variety of ready-to-use seeding charts to the convention, so in the case of a MIA I can throw together something that will get the job done. (I say this because that's essentially what I did for the DDR tournament last year :P)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Katao

• Oni
DDR?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2004, 11:59:47 pm »
Hiya!  My time spent here is going to be, uhhh, split.  I have broken appointments on all of the days...  So, i wanna enter this contest, and when you guys know, i need to know which day and time its going to be held.  Thanks! :D

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
doubles
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2004, 07:59:14 pm »
I would personally like to see doubles (two player teams), or maybe couples w/ free style.  That would rock.
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Re: doubles
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2004, 03:12:22 am »
Heyyy, two first posts... Welcome, you two. :)

You will know as soon as we know. If the DDR person doesn't tell you, I will try to myself.

Quote from: "kalagei"
I would personally like to see doubles (two player teams), or maybe couples w/ free style.  That would rock.

It would indeed be cool, but don't count on it. Conventions tend to be too pressed for time to do more than a quick DDR tournament (quick being several hours; most full DDR tournaments essentially last all day).

Apollo Justice

Offline trinket

• Sailor Scout
DDR?
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2004, 10:15:33 pm »
Ahhhhh DDR! *runs away screaming*

Ok actaully i lik it very much have onlly played like 3 times though everysingle time giving up and spinning in circles on the dance pad.

Maybe ill actually try harder someday and be ok at it.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
DDR?
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2004, 04:22:20 pm »
Do you understand how to play it?

The first time I played, I failed Xanadu because nobody bothered to tell me anything. :P

Apollo Justice