Author Topic: Pirates vs Ninjas  (Read 44967 times)

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
Pirates vs Ninjas
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:01:49 pm »
I has come to my attention that the west coast is sadly lacking in Pirate/Ninja battles. The pirates have their event and the ninjas have photo shoots for the animes they come from, but there is no real interaction between the two.

Here on the east coast we have something known as the Pirate vs Ninja Dance Off. It is an event where the two teams battle each other in dance. Judges will watch and score the teams and at the conclusion of the match, the judges will announce the score. Each team will choose a champion for a final match. After the final match, a final score will be given and the winning team gains their gloating rights.

I'm willing to make trophies for the winners, but before I make a panel request, I need to know how many people would be interested in having an event.

If the idea of a dance off fails to appeal, I would be open to other ideas for the battle.

To start the event I need a total of three judges and at least five people on each team or at least three people willing to go more then once.

Once I know if we have enough interest in an event, I'll get rules ready to send to all the contestants.
Cannon romance is for lazy fans

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: Pirates vs Ninjas
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:05:07 am »
It would be awesome to have two panels, one at the beginning of the con and one right before closing ceremonies. The first would list all of the events and competitions at the con, so the pirates and ninjas could all get teams together to compete in each of them.

Then at the panel at the ned the teams could get together to compare their success and brag and maybe have a couple more contests to try and even the score. Then would be an awesome time for the dance off.

If you do run something like this then I would suggest keeping an eye on the Naruto photoshoot to see when it's getting scheduled.

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:31:53 pm »
I've filled out the forms to have a panel, but I won't be submitting anything until I know we'll have enough people to make it worth having a panel.
I'm thinking of offering awards at the close of the panel. I'd like three judges. One pirate, one ninja, and one neutral judge who will all give judges awards. In the budget form I filled out, I listed the costs for what's needed to make the awards [don't worry, they'll be nice] and I also want to try to get something for so that everyone on the winning team can get something.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:53:08 pm »
Well I'm running the Pirates vs. Ninjas barrel event again, it seemed pretty popular last year
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 03:59:03 pm »
Well I'm running the Pirates vs. Ninjas barrel event again, it seemed pretty popular last year
Barrel event, eh? I must say I missed it. I was in the cosplay contest and my group kept me busy. You'd be more then welcome at the Pirate/Ninja dance off

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 05:48:22 pm »

yeah i was gonna say wherehave you been cuz we did have that big pierat and ninja game paper rock scissor game that went on the whole con, and it was at mini con too
great prizes too
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 06:04:01 pm »

yeah i was gonna say wherehave you been cuz we did have that big pierat and ninja game paper rock scissor game that went on the whole con, and it was at mini con too
great prizes too
Oh! That game...Yea, I remember that. I really don't think it counts though since was a game open to anyone and not just pirates and ninjas...even though they were the intended groups. It also had people of the same faction competing against each other.

What I'm suggesting is to settle which group is better and not a contest of individuals.

Offline sexynojutsusasuke

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 02:09:55 pm »
that be neat
planned cosplay:
Namine
Misa Amane

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 10:36:54 pm »
there was a ninja/pirate face-off in the kumoricon 07 chess match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SROaUYx8i4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptaVCh6Qh0&feature=related

....i died...T_T
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007
Naruto in chess for 2007 and 2008

2010 - Yumi, Naruto, and Kid Goku
2011 - Hopefully Mr. 6 will make and appearance, and Lupin III.

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 10:41:58 pm »

....i died...T_T
Yes! I remember you. I was the Riza who got killed by Noh Face...I stood next to that Luffy you killed. ::shakes fist:: Why did you kill him? Why?

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 11:40:41 pm »

....i died...T_T
Yes! I remember you. I was the Riza who got killed by Noh Face...I stood next to that Luffy you killed. ::shakes fist:: Why did you kill him? Why?
because lupin told me to.  that, and the pirate needed to die! X3
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 11:26:09 am »
for a pirate vs ninja competition you could have then do a contest like a photo scavenger contest. The teams would be given the assignment of getting photos throughout the con and they would turn in their pictures to be judged before the dance off for an extra points or a different award. You could even get different pictures for both groups.

Ninjas for example could have, best assassination, most photo graphic ninja, or most successful stealth maneuver. While the pirates have, best high seas duel, scurviest pirate, or treasure chest. There would of course be some ground rules about appropriate pictures, and getting people to participate.

We tried this once at a Halloween party and it was great, the only real requirement for the teams is that someone should have a camera (preferable digital). Of course judges would review the pictures and award points for creativity, originality, fitting the category, and general look of the picture.

What do you think?
"nothing is ever fool proof because fools are so ingenious..."
-anonymous

2007 Cos-play Stage Ninja
2008 Stage Manager/Ninja, Panelist
2009 Stage Manager, Charity Auction Manager

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 12:48:32 pm »
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how the whole pirates vs. ninjas thing began?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 02:22:55 pm »
for a pirate vs ninja competition you could have then do a contest like a photo scavenger contest. The teams would be given the assignment of getting photos throughout the con and they would turn in their pictures to be judged before the dance off for an extra points or a different award. You could even get different pictures for both groups.

Ninjas for example could have, best assassination, most photo graphic ninja, or most successful stealth maneuver. While the pirates have, best high seas duel, scurviest pirate, or treasure chest. There would of course be some ground rules about appropriate pictures, and getting people to participate.

We tried this once at a Halloween party and it was great, the only real requirement for the teams is that someone should have a camera (preferable digital). Of course judges would review the pictures and award points for creativity, originality, fitting the category, and general look of the picture.

What do you think?
Hmm. Yes, I think an extra award could be given for a photo hunt.
If we can get people to sign up to be team captains, before the con, I could email the photo lists to the captains

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 07:19:43 pm »
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how the whole pirates vs. ninjas thing began?

a friend of mine once said that without pirates ninjas could not exist and vice versa, that they are two sides of the same coin and as such have a inherent animosity towards each other.
(btw Ninjas FTW!!!!!)
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:51:20 pm »

What do you think?
If we can get people to sign up to be team captains, before the con, I could email the photo lists to the captains

by the immortal words of Michelangelo (TMNT), "Let's go for it!"
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

Offline Mirithespazz

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 01:59:14 pm »

What do you think?

In the immortal words of...uh myself... sounds like a plan!
Kumoricon 08
- AC Yuffie

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 02:10:50 pm »
X3 lol
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 05:12:48 pm »
Well, the idea seems to be supported so do I have any volunteers for the team captains?

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 05:19:45 pm »
I'll volunteer for co-captain of the Ninja team, since I'm planning to go as Naruto.  ;D I'm not much of a leader, but if you need me to be captain, then I will. But you really don't. xD

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 05:28:18 pm »
Don't worry. A captain's role is simple. All you need to do is make sure everyone on your team has a photo list and then you'll be picking which order everyone follows during the dance off part of the contest. If you aren't sure if you want to be a team captain, we will need three judges as well.
I'll be emailing everyone the rules and the judging system once we get a little closer to con.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 05:35:59 pm »
Sweet! I'll think about it a bit, thanks though.  ;D I'll want to be one, but which to choose...

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 07:06:57 pm »
I would happily do the judging for the photo contest or the dance contest. Also are we going to post ideas here for different photos here or should we pm you?
-anonymous

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 07:08:28 pm »
I would happily do the judging for the photo contest or the dance contest. Also are we going to post ideas here for different photos here or should we pm you?
We can post ideas in here. I think good ideas could come from the discussion about it.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 06:39:17 pm »

a friend of mine once said that without pirates ninjas could not exist and vice versa, that they are two sides of the same coin and as such have a inherent animosity towards each other.
(btw Ninjas FTW!!!!!)

I'm kinda curious how that would work, since ninjas weren't made for fighting pirates, but to assassinate the leaders of rivaling village leaders, or something like that.  Pirates usually stuck to the Atlantic Ocean; it wasn't normal for them to be in the Pacific, unless they had a specific reason to.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 05:51:33 pm »

What do you think?

o.0 Erm....Well, is this going to be AT the Con? Because I have two costumes, one is Sakura Haruno....And...Well, I need to figure out which day to wear it on. Also....Um....About the photo thing....So we all have different lists or are they the same for each team....

Also...So, we just go around taking pictures of ninja[or pirates] in a pose like the catagory[or thing] listed? Wow....I don't think I made sense of that myself.

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 08:26:47 pm »
Well, I submitted a panel request form so we should know what day we'll get soon. Also, you don't have to be dressed as a pirate or a ninja to be on a team, but that doesn't mean the ninjas can dress like pirates or vice versa. If someone comes dressed as a pirate, they will be placed on the pirate team

Everyone will have the same list to make sure everyone is on equal ground in being able to find pictures. We'll also make the picture list items vague to help prevent everyone ending up with the same pictures

Offline Mirithespazz

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 08:29:22 pm »
well, this will be exciting!  ;D
Kumoricon 08
- AC Yuffie

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:59 am »

(btw Ninjas FTW!!!!!)

I'm kinda curious how that would work, since ninjas weren't made for fighting pirates, but to assassinate the leaders of rivaling village leaders, or something like that.  Pirates usually stuck to the Atlantic Ocean; it wasn't normal for them to be in the Pacific, unless they had a specific reason to.

One of the things that people forget was that the original term for pirate was privateer, which was hired by a company or state to sack and destroy other ships and/or collect goods from trade.
Ninjas were on the same ground that they worked for a lord and did the dirty tasks of assassination and sabotage.

While I don't think one couldn't live without the other some think that ninjas actually inspired the idea of privateers which became pirates. At least thats what some history books say...

Other than that its pretty much an internet thing that started a few years ago about which is cooler.
-anonymous

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 08:55:44 pm »
Um....[/blink] Dunno about the strike thing.....[/blink] I guess I'll just stalk this topic until I figure it out then, lol.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 10:40:44 am »

While I don't think one couldn't live without the other some think that ninjas actually inspired the idea of privateers which became pirates. At least thats what some history books say...

I must say I've never heard that before i nany of my history books, but then again, I went to Washougal.

That could be plausable.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 03:44:59 pm »

it's funny to me that people were trying to apply logic to that statement. I'm sure that it's more of a personality thing, if your more like a Ninja or more like a Pirate.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that for this panel we WILL need volunteers. I still need three judges, and a team captain for each side.
...And the teams of course, but once we have captains, I'll be more worried about keeping them organized.

There are going to be awards given away at the end of the dance off so if you are interested, PLEASE let me know so I can start figuring out how much stuff we'll need.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 11:09:26 pm »
Would you sign me up for one of the team captains? If not, then I'll be a judge. ^^

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 04:17:20 am »
Would you sign me up for one of the team captains? If not, then I'll be a judge. ^^
Alright! Which team?

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 07:31:21 am »
Ninjas, please! ^^

Offline Bundyangel

• Sailor Scout
    • Bundyangel15's Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 04:33:01 pm »
You have your first dance/picture ninja RIGHT HERE!

please, sign me up. i dont care if im team captain or not, but i can dance and i have a digital camera.
Cosplay of Kcon '07:
Naminé - KHII
Cosplay for Kcon '08:
Cosplay for Kcon '09

Didn't Happen

Cosplay for Kcon '10
Sakura Kinomoto - 10%
Pokemon Gijinka - 0%

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 07:36:40 pm »
Ah, if Bundyangel wants it, then sign me up as a judge! I truly think she'll do better. XD Sorry if I keep switching, it's just I think she'll do a better job -and- be a better dancer. xD

Offline sexynojutsusasuke

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 01:50:16 am »
oooh :DDD
my friends and i should be a goal to take a picture of xD
we're a giant SnJ cast
SnJ sasuke (1 before and 1 after)
SnJ gaara
SnJ Kiba (or it might be choji :P i dont know which one she'll shoose)
SnJ Naruto
and a sexy nurse tsunaide
planned cosplay:
Namine
Misa Amane

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 02:35:41 am »
I would definetly be interested in this for the ninja side. Maybe I can get my pirate friend to sign up as well, is she does a pirate for KumoriCon. So...Would the picture list be for things like 'Best Ninja' and they get judged or are we looking for certain cosplayers like Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, Kakashi, Jack Sparrow....

Offline Bundyangel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 03:57:49 pm »
Catch-chan if tyou want to be the captain, then be teh captain, i dont care as long as i get to schow off my mad skillz

I might go as SnJ Kiba! :D
Cosplay of Kcon '07:
Naminé - KHII
Cosplay for Kcon '08:
Cosplay for Kcon '09

Didn't Happen

Cosplay for Kcon '10
Sakura Kinomoto - 10%
Pokemon Gijinka - 0%

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »
No no, I'd prefer to be a judge. ^^ And one question: Do the leaders dance? I'd like to see Bundyangel dance on the ninjas team. XD It'd be really fun to watch!

Offline Bundyangel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2008, 08:26:42 pm »
i love you catch-chan, you are oh so very confident in my skills.
Cosplay of Kcon '07:
Naminé - KHII
Cosplay for Kcon '08:
Cosplay for Kcon '09

Didn't Happen

Cosplay for Kcon '10
Sakura Kinomoto - 10%
Pokemon Gijinka - 0%

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
On both teams, EVERYONE will be dancing. This includes captains. Of the people involved, only the judges and myself will not be dancing. The reasons for that are obvious. As judges, they can't compete because who would judge the judges? And since I'll be posting, I'm going to be staying a neutral party and won't be openly rooting for either side.
As for pictures, I am going to try to make it fair so all list items will be either panel or guest related. I'll be posting the lists before the con so by making everything that can only be obtained at con, we can make sure no one stages any of the list photos early. However, I'll need a better idea of the con schedule for that. Thankfully my friends are hosting this year so I can pester them for information.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2008, 11:21:52 pm »
I'm here to sign up for the pirate side.  :)  I probably won't cosplay as a pirate though.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2008, 11:23:23 pm »
I'm here to sign up for the pirate side.  :)  I probably won't cosplay as a pirate though.
Don't worry! You don't need to cosplay a pirate. To be a pirate, you just can't be a ninja.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2008, 06:59:27 pm »
I know. I won't be doing any ninja cosplays either. xD
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2008, 09:56:07 pm »
Due to the lack of pirate sign ups, I'm looking into having some pirates imported from the east coast.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 06:40:02 am »
I have a pirate costume. If the schedule allows I'll be there to help the pirate team.
Heck even if I didn't have a costume (or if it doesn't fit anymore) I would still go pirate!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2008, 07:05:31 am »
I'll definitely be rocking the swashbuckles at some point, pirate attire has pretty much become my casual clothing, so yeah, I'll be reppin' here and there.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!