Author Topic: Trouble With Mousse costume  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
Trouble With Mousse costume
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:47:03 am »
as you guessed it, I'm having a little trouble with re adquiring some of the things needed for this costume. I need to replace the glasses and get a better wig. I need the wig to be back length with bangs in the front. if anyone knows a place that has something that could work, please let me know.

as far as the glasses, well... yeah.... i may be able to get em, but any good suggestions would be most appreciated.
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
Re: Trouble With Mousse costume
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:59:52 pm »
Depends on where you're located. I buy most of my wigs online simply because there's a higher quality selection than you can find in most stores. Also, unless you're lucky enough to live close to a store that sells nice wigs, the cost of gas to drive to a store location is pretty much equal to or greater than any shipping costs you'll encounter.

I've bought a few wigs at Display & Costume. I don't know about other stores. What you'll want to do is check the fiber before you buy (most nicer bagged wigs come in bags that snap or zip shut, so you can touch the fiber). Rub it between your fingers. It should feel sleek and smooth. If it has a rough or "sticky" texture, walk away.
The style I've seen that's closest to Mousse's in stores is called something like "International Beauty", and yes, it has a woman on the front. The bangs are straight across and it comes to just below shoulder length.

For online shopping, try cosworx.com or amphigory.com. Both stock really nice quality wigs for reasonable prices. For something Mousse's length in a nicer fiber, you shouldn't pay more than $35 plus shipping. Cosworx ships really quickly, too.

For the glasses, I'd say either Harry Potter style (they're everywhere in costume shops now) or granny/hippie types, all of which will have round lenses. I've looked in thrift shops, which sell old glasses, and you can't find perfectly round anime glasses anywhere. The best you can do is costume lenses.

If you want the whited-out look Mousse has a lot of the time, I'd paint the lense with acrylic paint (craft or hobby shops, even in Wal Mart's craft department). Paint the inside, so the lenses will still shine. If you want to do the swirl Mousse has on his glasses, I'd paint it first in a different shade (I suggest light blue; black is too obvious and looks kind of odd). Let the swirl dry completely, cover with a coat of clear varnish or sealer, let dry, and then paint white over the top of the swirl.

Granny/hippie glasses are pretty cheap. The most I've paid is about $3.00, so you could get two pairs and leave one pair clean for Mousse's clearer moments (and so you can walk around wearing them and still be able to see). Also, one pair could be kept in a pocket in your sleeve, along with other small sundry items, to pull out as a gag for photos.

P.S. You rule. Nobody cosplays Mousse, and I will fangirl all over you when I see you. Yes, even if I'm cosplaying Shampoo at the time. Especially if I'm cosplaying Shampoo.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:45:31 pm »
Ah! thanks for the help. I have the sites saved into a seperate hard drive. This weekend I'll be hunting down the glasses, and maybe decide what to do as far as Props.

as for the clothing part of the costume, the only thing i'll have to replace is the pants.... lost a few belt sizes since i last wore it(Persian gulf diet). Dunno if i can stitch pockets into the sleeves, I might just have to make wrist sheath for whatever i decide to use.

I'll look into the wig after monday, I get my new laptop after work on monday.

P.S. Nobody cosplays Mousse because:
1 his costume is one of the more difficult ranma costumes to make
2 He chases after shampoo even though his chances with her are exactly that of a snowballs chances on the sun.
3 some ppl think getting into character is embarrasing i.e talking to and glomping random men, women, inanimate objects.
lastly. this is the worst of excuses i've heard, but the seemingly infinite storage space of his outfit.

now as for me, theese 4 reasons only strengthen the need to cosplay as mousse
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:43:06 am »
1 Never having made a Mousse cosplay myself (it's on the list, but I'm working my way through the main cast), I can't say myself. I didn't look that much harder than doing Shampoo's first outfit, just required lengthening of the sleeves and tunic and adding lining and some applique or painting for the pattern on the chest.

2 I don't believe that! But then I'm a Shampoo cosplayer who's also a Mousse fangirl. I believe he can get through to her someday, once she's made to understand that it's not going to happen with Ranma no matter how much she throws herself at him. (Anyone who reads the last story arc will understand once and for all where Ranma's true affections lie, if they didn't get it already.) Might be wishful thinking, but...well, that's true of almost any pairing in the Ranmaverse. I think she does have feelings for him, but she's been rejecting him for so long that it would be embarrassing to admit it to herself now. And she has a serious crush on another guy, who happens to be very attractive and fulfills the requirements of her village law. She's not in love with Mousse, but she likes him more than she'll admit, and on a subconscious level she knows it, and it irritates her. She can't like that annoying guy she's know since childhood; it'd be admitting he got to her finally, that he won!
Just my two cents, but you know...it's a girl thing.

3 Mousse's character should count as one of the reasons why he's fun to cosplay. You get to act like a moron, and that's always a good time. Not that he is...he just acts like one due to an unfortunate combination of singlemindedness and myopia.

4 And this should count as another strong reason. You don't have to figure out how to incorporate a bag into the costume.

Blatantly obvious, but I like Mousse. Maybe it's the glasses.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 12:13:31 pm »
awesom! another person who shares my views of Mousse. anyways, thanks again for the wig and glasses help. I'll modify the inner lining of the costume later on in the year. now i gotta start work on my other 2 costumes.. primarily my parn costume.
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Mousse(Ranma ½)