Author Topic: Kumoricon 2008 AMV Contest QUESTION: New Category?!?!?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon 2008 AMV Contest QUESTION: New Category?!?!?
« on: November 10, 2007, 05:51:11 pm »
You've seen them all: drama, action, comedy, trailers, etc.

Anybody want to suggest a NEW contest category for the 2008 contest?

- Mecha and Military?
- School Settings?
- Space & SF?
- Magic / Religion?
- Serious / Political?

- What would you like to see us try?

Note that even if we all come up with a category definition, that doesn't mean that the AMV editors, participants, and hobbyists themselves will take a stab at it...

Anyways, hope to hear from you...

- G

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Re: Kumoricon 2008 AMV Contest QUESTION: New Category?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:38:56 am »
Since the creation of AMV Hell, some cons have made categories revolving around the idea of short parody or short joke videos of the same kind. There's also the idea of a "WTF" category, where the video is made purely to be bizarre.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Combine Comedy & 'WTF' ?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:27:00 am »
Over the past couple of years, AMV creators have been making more of those short one-shot one-joke clips, and stringing them together. There have been certainly fewer of the real make-you-laugh comedy styles, and that's kinda too bad, because the audience survey indicated that that audience really likes those the best. It's actually quite challenging to make a full-length 'Comedy' AMV in the style we used to see back in the day 1998-2003 or so.

So if we expand the Comedy-Fun-Parody category to include 'WTF' (which is a good idea) what do we CALL the Category? I am a bit of a Standard English grammar & lexicon stickler and I KNOW there has GOT to be a 'real' word describing that pleasant surprised feeling of bemused confusion.

So: VOCAB TEST: What's a one- or two-word category name for funny / bizarre? How about "Oddly Amusing?"
Any other suggestions?

- G

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Re: Kumoricon 2008 AMV Contest QUESTION: New Category?!?!?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:12:30 am »
You could split the comedy category in two, as General Comedy for typical-humor AMVs & Bizarre Comedy for the stranger videos.

Deciding which of the two a video goes into could be based on either the editor's or con staff's judgement.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: New Category!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 04:20:37 pm »
Based on personal suggestions from folks at the meeting yesterday, I have added a new category called 'OLD SCHOOL.'

I tried something like this a few years ago and it worked okay.
I'm certainly willing to give a time-period restricted category another go.

I suppose that if we don't get enough entries, the judges can run the entries in some of the other categories...

Watch for a new discussion thread, one level up.

- G