Author Topic: Looking to start an anime/ manga club - advice please :)  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Borderlands Games

• Cabbit
Looking to start an anime/ manga club - advice please :)
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:03:37 am »
Borderlands Games in Salem, Or. is looking to start either a weekly or bi-weekly anime and manga club in our gaming hall. We would like advice on what activities we could provide and how we can bring better organization to the club, plus what sort of benefits are nice for clubs like this to have? Anyone who has experience running a club who can offer advice would be welcomed :)

• Cabbit
Re: Looking to start an anime/ manga club - advice please :)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:54:50 pm »
No advice yet huh? Is anyone here in a club that meets regularly? What kind of activities does the club enable?

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:35:18 pm »
  I'll try stopping by your Salem business in the next few days to see how I can help.
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:57:51 pm »
Really?! Cool- I go to Borderlands ALOT for all my gaming needs. I'd love to be involved!

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:58:53 am »
  I'll try stopping by your Salem business in the next few days to see how I can help.

Make sure to ask for Isaac (manager) or Nate (owner). Calling ahead of time and setting up a meeting is best. Your best time to just catch one of us is in the evenings during the week, but we can't garuntee we aren't busy without an appoinment. Our business number is 503 485 2554. Leave a message with contact info and we will get back to you right away.

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 05:00:12 am »
Really?! Cool- I go to Borderlands ALOT for all my gaming needs. I'd love to be involved!

Any advice you have is welcomed :) We would like to support the anime and manga as well as we support our games. Anything you can offer as advice or help is welcomed.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 07:15:02 pm »

Any advice you have is welcomed :) We would like to support the anime and manga as well as we support our games. Anything you can offer as advice or help is welcomed.

I was actually trying to restart the Salem Area Anime Society at Chemeketa sometime this year or next but we're having trouble finding a staff advisor.

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:11:33 pm »

I was actually trying to restart the Salem Area Anime Society at Chemeketa sometime this year or next but we're having trouble finding a staff advisor.

Well that is amusing.  I was the president of the SAAS during the 2nd half of the 2000 and 2001 years.  My girlfriend at the time was president from mid 1999 to mid 2000 and my best friend was the president and founder before that. :p
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:17:10 am »
So what sort of things did the club do? How can we tie those sort of activities into the store and support them?

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 01:08:19 am »
Well if you could set your gaming room up as a theatre, lots of anime clubs mostly watch anime :)

Post flyers on the store & street of today/tonight we are going to be showing "X" and see who all shows up.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 08:21:12 am »
  Sorry I haven't been in yet, I came down with a bad case of the flew and have been 'bed' ridden for the past three days or so.  I'm still recovering today, my big questions are what is the occupancy of the backroom at your business and how big of a screen and/or sound system do you have there?
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 01:27:30 am »
I came down with strep throat, ironically.

Our back room can hold up to 150 people if needed. If we can get a really good turn out going, we will invest in as big a screen and sound system as warranted by the size of the crowd. We would love to have the game room turn into an anime theater on club night, that would be fantastic :) We first have to get the draw going and get people coming in to support our efforts to bring great anime/ manga related support to our customers.

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 01:43:30 am »
Here is our current plan for the club, input is of course welcome.

Starting Nov. 29th. Every Thursday Night 6:00pm to 10:00pm.

We will be showing assortment of anime movies during this time. Customers are welcomed to bring anime they wish to share and requests are welcomed. No hentai or excessive adult material. If you have any questions about a movie being suitable, please ask our staff. In addition:

- Cosplay is encouraged! If 10 or more customers come in costume, then we will have a costume contest and give away prizes! You cannot win with the same costume twice in a row or more than once in a month.

- Raffle prizes each week to those attending! We are going to give away promotional items and cool products from your favorite publishers. You must be present to win a raffle prize.

- Bring Friends! If you bring a friend who have never attended our club night before, you and your friend each recieve an additional entry into the raffle for the evening. 

- On anime club night we offer a special reward program! For every 25.00 a custoer spends on anime/ manga related mercandise they get a 5.00 credit they can use however they wish.

How does this sound? What works what doesn't?

Regradless we are putting this into action in two weeks, then we will make adjustments where needed.