Author Topic: Hello everybody....N00b here :)  (Read 6623 times)

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
Hello everybody....N00b here :)
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:05:01 pm »
Hello, just thought I would take a moment to introduce myself.  I'm from the Portland area and am just taking up an interest in cosplaying.  I have a few friends from various parts of the country that have been cosplaying for some time and they talked me into trying because they think I would enjoy it.  I was excited to discover Kumoricon, as I didn't realize anything like an anime/cosplay convention went on in the Portland area :)

I hope to make some friends in the coming months and get pointers on cosplaying and characters to potentially go as.  Like I said, this is all new to me, and if I make a mistake in etiquette (or other areas), it's due to ignorance and not meant to offend.  I am excited to learn!

I do have a question, is cosplaying encouraged only at a specific time during the con, or is it accepted every day?  I would hate to show up in character and find out I am the only one dressed up! :)

Itsuka dareka ga itte ta you ni
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Re: Hello everybody....N00b here :)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:49 pm »
My experience is that Cosplaying happens nearly the entire convention, however there are various scheduled photoshoots and opportunities where it is specifically encouraged.  Of course, this is just from one year's observations, so that could be an exception rather then a rule.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:07:24 am »
Hi, ZellGirl. Welcome to the forums. ^_^

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:13:35 am »
Were you the girl that talked with a few of us on Halloween night?
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 02:06:51 am »
Thank you reppy :)

Sayda: No, that would not have been me.  I was handing out candy to trick or treaters and didn't see anybody in recognizable cosplay that night.  Unless you were the 4 year old toddler that had a very nice little Captain Jack Sparrow costume his mom made!
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 06:26:26 am »
"Hello Dr. Nick"....sorry, couldn't help it.

Nice to meet you and welcome.  :D
As for cosplay...we love to cosplay even when con's not in session!  ;D If you want us to help you decide on one, a picture or description of yourself would be grand.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:34:46 am »
Haha, alright, I didn't think it was the same girl. ~.~ But welcome, anyway!
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 09:15:00 am »
Indeed, welcome to the forums and the Kumoricon off-season community. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Mirithespazz

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:22 am »
^^ welcome to the forums (not that I've been here that long or anything  ;) )
Kumoricon 08
- AC Yuffie

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 11:08:19 am »
yes as cosplayer we try to dress up and have as many event's as possible,
the event might not be put on by k-con its self, we show up at boths at them like uwajimay events or meetups year round, this forum is a great way to learn about them as they come up
welcom to the forums !!!! heres some info bout me
i love gir  and chocolate and cc lemons and pocky but more so
i love gackt <3 my fave japanese rock singer but most of alll!!!
and i love kendo boyfriend!!!!! <3<3<3
tho now he is kendo fiancee!!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 12:38:34 pm »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, it's nice to see so many friendly people!

My friends I have asked for ideas about Cosplay think I should dress as Tifa.  Tifa's a bit overdone though, as much as I love her.  And I'd need to be a little bit thinner to dress as her (I'm not fat, but at the same time I am not as super thin as she is!).  I went as Rinoa a few years ago for Halloween and that was fun.  People had no idea who I was.  I wanted to borrow one of my friend's mini australian shepherd pups as a prop but the place where the party was being held said no animals, which was a disappointment.

I am 5'6", long-ish chestnut brown hair and dark brown eyes.  I don't have many pictures online, but I guess I can share this one (it's not very good, was taken in a mirror while getting ready to go out).  I am pretty plain :)

Any ideas would be appreciated!  I've played a fair number of video games and watched some anime (boy if I was built for it, it would be really cool to go as Motoko Kusanagi).  Thanks everybody!
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 03:30:18 pm »

Any ideas would be appreciated!  I've played a fair number of video games and watched some anime (boy if I was built for it, it would be really cool to go as Motoko Kusanagi).  Thanks everybody!
that would totally be cool. plus u don't have have to be built like the character its just a + ;)

oh btw welcome to the forums XD
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 03:31:50 pm by dakrum »
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline PhantmK

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 09:30:22 pm »
Welcome to the kumoricon forums, where cosplay is not only accepted but encouraged ^_^
BTW if you ever feel that you want to cosplay outside of the convention, regular meet-ups are posted in the "Plan your own adventure" Forum, So please feel free to join.
Plus if we meet you in person we could probably come up with alot more cosplays that fit your personality as well as looks. Anyway hope to see you around!

-Kenton
Sometimes you just gotta pull out the stops give it your all and know that you will come out the other end alive, well, and ready for the next challenge. 
I'm still waiting for the next one.

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 10:20:28 pm »
Hmm, it would be fun to go to a pre-con meeting and maybe get some helpful tips and ideas.  And maybe make some friends so I don't end up at the con by myself with nobody to talk to.  Though I have a friend I think I may be able to talk into going along with me. 

Out of curiosity, are characters from novels (like the Wheel of Time) permitted?  Or are we talking only video games, animes, and comics?
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 10:51:01 pm »
from what  i understand u can cosplay as anything but poeple are encouraged to cosplay anime,manga,game characters since it is a anime/japanese culture convention ;) :D

oh if i sound like i am not sure.its cause 07 was my first con ever so yeah...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:42:52 pm by dakrum »
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 01:26:19 am »
I also believe it would be easier to recognize you if you were cosplaying as something from a visual medium, or VERY popular book series.  Wheel of time is one that I've not read.  Books are quite prolific and it would be relatively easy to find a book known by some, and not others.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 07:39:27 am »
Welcome to the forums ^^

Please note that cosplay is ALWAYS accepted, whether there is a con going on or not ^~

judging by your picture, you immediately struck me as a good Kairi from Kingdom Hearts or Sailor Jupiter from Sailor moon =D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:38:21 pm by leashy »

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 11:56:23 am »
MichaelEvans, I understand what you mean, that's the problem with book series.  Though I'm going to be in big trouble when I go to a cosplay, as I've not been involved in the anime/manga community much.  So I won't recognize many people :)

Thank you leashy for the welcome and the suggestion!  Kairi is one I've had suggested before, though I would have to go as the KH2 Kairi.  16 would be tough enough to pull off, 13/14 nearly impossible for me!  I do like the idea of being Kairi though because it gives me the excuse to make a keyblade.  A friend of mine from Texas makes the most amazing cosplay outfits and props.  This is her most recent one, as Roxas:

She made those keyblades on her own, and she's given me some pointers.
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline PhantmK

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 06:21:20 pm »
d00d those are some freaking sweet keyblades! I will definitely have to try to do something similar in the future.
Sometimes you just gotta pull out the stops give it your all and know that you will come out the other end alive, well, and ready for the next challenge. 

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 07:46:45 pm »
 :o awesome they look so... masterly done that u couldn't have found any better then those  ;D
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 07:53:25 pm »
Yeah she is super talented.  I'm working on a few projects right now with her help and some written instructions.  Hoping I can make a keyblade, and maybe a gunblade as well.  Regardless, it will take some work :)
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 09:25:45 pm »
I always have to wonder if people who make such professional props for their cosplay have massive talent and McGuyver it together... or if they instead have actual tools approaching the upper end of hobby equipment. (EG, actual powertools to help them cleanly cut things.)  Though thinking about it further... even with those tools, they'd still have to have a Lot of talent.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline PhantmK

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 12:05:54 pm »
honestly now that I think about it my grandfather is a master carpenter, I wonder if I could get him to show me how to do all that stuff, cause that would be pretty cool. XD

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 02:44:44 pm »
I know my father does carpenting as a hobby and has offered the use of his workshop to craft props and teach me as I go.  I dun know if he is willing to help others though, but I can try asking if there is interest.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Figle

• Cabbit
    • Olime, Olympia's anime club
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 04:35:38 pm »
Yay another pretty girl! I welcome you will all the beauty and glory spandex can provide.
Real men wear spandex!

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 06:39:41 pm »
Who, me Figle?  Wow, thanks...you made me blush  :D

Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 10:20:02 pm »
All the way from Hawaii, Hello and welcome to Kumoricon and the forums.
Please feel free to check your sanity at the door but expect it to sent back 6 to 8 weeks later. ^_^

Oh, and in regard to the picture and cosplay ideas.... hmm...
I was thinking what you could do with your long hair.  Risa from DNAngel kinda popped into mind.

Also in regards to cosplaying something non-anime, I have cosplayed as Professor Lupin and Tom Riddle for two years and no one has given me any grief at KCon.

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 10:58:54 pm »
A friend of mine suggested Lulu from FFX, which appeals to me.  She and I look sort of alike and it would be a nifty cosplay. 

Lupin and Tom Riddle are somewhat recognizable, because of the movies.  There's not yet been a Wheel of Time movie, and for those who have read the books they may recognize Moiraine when they saw someone cosplaying as her (she has a few signature articles of clothing and such), but she wouldn't be as recognizable as someone from a movie or game.

Though it would be fun, especially since I have a beautiful white mare that could cosplay as Aldieb, Moiraine's horse :)
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 10:17:13 am »
Under the usual circumstances people in this situation would say their welcome, and whatever else they could think of at the moment, but as yo may have already realized by reading this post, I like to shake things up a bit. So without any further stalling(can't think o any more ways to stall ATM).... As Self appointed Leader of the Kumoricon branch of Dr Cube's Posse, I welcome you to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 01:30:54 am »
Why thank you Zenn  :D
Kotae wa kaze no naka