Author Topic: Japanese Puns in Anime  (Read 2702 times)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Japanese Puns in Anime
« on: October 20, 2007, 04:32:27 pm »
I have been watching Kenichi, History's Strongest Disciple, and I think there is a pun in a name there, but as I don't speak Japanese, I am unsure. The only reason I noticed this, is because in Bleach, Ichigo has a zenpaku-to sword, and it means something like soul. And in Kenichi, there is the Shinpaku Alliance, founded by a devil/alien who is Kenichi's worst best friend, who goes to the same school.

There were too many puns to list in the series Urasei Yatsura, but they explained them in the extras part of the disc. Here, this sh0ow still being an unlicensed fansub, there are no extras to find this out. So I am asking you, if you know, and if you have seen other puns.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline CardCaptorConnor-EX

• Sailor Scout
Re: Japanese Puns in Anime
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:53:54 pm »
Azumanga Daioh: Osaka loves her word puns.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=D55mR_sBS4I
Watashi wa iroppoi wo motekuru.

But you probably already knew that.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:24:27 am »
i love puns espsualy bad ones and my teacher profeser komitz uses them in class and i was talking to naomi the manager of kinokunya, she knows him, and told her about the puns and i had to explain to her what a pun was
there is noh drama (noh as in no with the little line over the o) and no drama(not having drama)
but is there no drama in noh drama?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 04:34:38 pm »
There is Noh such thing.

I can't get Noh satisfaction.

Oh Noh!

Yoko O. Noh, famous playwrong.

Or if she was a prize cow, you would yoke O. O'Noh.

I was hoping more from the Japanese language.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:13 pm »
You know you've been in Japan long enough when you can actually understand Japanese puns.  But it helps when on the talk/game shows when they also provide the Japanese subtitles.

Best one I can think of happened when a celebrity was being given a dish (I'll skip the details of the show) and the food had coconut in it.  In Japanese, coconut is pronounced kokonattsuKoko can also mean "here."  So when he said kokonattsu, he was also pointing down at his lower body.  I think you can figure out the rest.

In Japanese class I was actually able to make up Japanese puns.  It's a miracle my classmates didn't kill me for that.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:42:53 pm »
Azumanga Daioh: Osaka loves her word puns.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=D55mR_sBS4I

They had better puns than that in the manga version, like, "What do you add to water to make ice?" "A dot."  (Relates to writing the words out in kanji).

Also in the manga, Osaka asked Chiyo-chan if she'd be a good teacher, & Chiyo-chan "Yes," most likely not to hurt her feelings.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:55:11 pm »
In the anime "Yakitate! Japan" they are baking croissants. In Japanese it's pronounced "kurowasan". Azuma apparently has never had a croissant, and asks "Who is Kurowa-san!?"

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:15:50 pm »
 :D That's cute.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh