Author Topic: Masquerade Ball - Winter Mini-Event - Input Wanted!  (Read 22049 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Masquerade Ball - Winter Mini-Event - Input Wanted!
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:26:30 pm »
I am on a committee that is busily planning a Masquerade Ball for this winter.  This particular Ball will be a free-standing mini-event between the conventions, we are not talking about the Balls that take place during the conventions.  Anyway, we wanted some feedback on what people might think is a reasonable admission price.

So, give us an idea what you think a reasonable price would be WITHOUT drinks and snacks provided. 
Then, tell us what you think would be reasonable for admission WITH drinks and snacks provided.

Keep in mind that this will be a FORMAL event in a nice venue.  We will also discount admission for people who attended Kumoricon in 2007.  So, if we set admission at $20, then it would likely only be $15 for most of you. 

We plan to give more details about the Ball at the next general meeting. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:38:46 am by Rathany »
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: Masquerade Ball - Input Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:30:19 pm »
without food / drinks

$9 for adults $7 for under 18

maybe an extra $5 for snacks / drinks depending on how fancy they are.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 06:37:43 am »
It thought that k-con events were not allowed to charge admission.  That was brought up with the Lolita Tea Parties and we were told they were knixed some time ago.

I don't really like the idea of charging a separate admission for events at a con, because people have already paid to go and it would be really hard to inform everyone who plans to attend, before the con (unless they frequent the forums) that they may need extra cash to attend their favorite event.

If you had to charge admission it should be a very miniscule amount like $5 or $10 with snacks but it would really cut back on your numbers either way.  There has to be a con budget for these things though, check with Programming

I am not trying to be mean I just really think theremay be something about not charging admission

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:32:43 am »
It thought that k-con events were not allowed to charge admission.  That was brought up with the Lolita Tea Parties and we were told they were knixed some time ago.

I don't really like the idea of charging a separate admission for events at a con, because people have already paid to go and it would be really hard to inform everyone who plans to attend, before the con (unless they frequent the forums) that they may need extra cash to attend their favorite event.

If you had to charge admission it should be a very miniscule amount like $5 or $10 with snacks but it would really cut back on your numbers either way.  There has to be a con budget for these things though, check with Programming

I am not trying to be mean I just really think theremay be something about not charging admission

Ok, to clarify, this particular ball is not happening at Kumoricon.  It's a bit confusing as we did have a Masquerade Ball at the last one and will likely have another at the next Kumoricon.

However, this is a mini-event that is taking place between the cons.  We can't announce a solid date until the next general meeting, but it will likely be in January.  Since this is it's own, free-standing, event, and we will need to rent a venue specifically for it, we do need to charge admission to try to not lose money on it.  It's not our intent to make money, either.

I'll edit my post a bit to try to make it more clear :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
Re: Masquerade Ball - Winter Mini-Event - Input Wanted!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:11:40 pm »
Oh, ok then well like $10 max depending how many people you get, I want to come ^^

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:17:38 am »
I would think $10 without food, $15-20, depending on what sorts of food...  $15 if it's chips or pop...  $20 if it's something better like pizza.

Or we could try for a pot luck type deal.  If you bring food you can get in cheaper...  Like if Jaz bakes a ton of cookies she gets in for 5 bucks.  *LOL*
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline PZB

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 06:14:42 am »
Taking the stance of people pay $50 on upward for Prom, I would think $30 would be in the fair ballpark.  We're talking a formal event, not just a little party, so I would think offering a little more to help pay for the event seems only fair.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 08:57:28 am »
I think if you charge $30 you will VERY much limit your attendance

Offline PZB

• Oni
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:23:32 pm »
I don't think so.  I mean, I look at it like this - it's a special event.  Not just a party with a cover charge.  And I can't imagine something like this is going to be cheap to rent a ballroom, even for one night.  (We won't even talk about the number of volunteer man-hours that would have to go into planning something like this.)

Never mind the amount of money people would be willing to spend on their costumes for this (I know I've already starting pricing some things out, and the receipts likely won't be pretty. XD)  So I think $30 with some sort of food is perfectly reasonable.

Besides, it's not like this money just goes into their pockets...it would go back into the convention for '08.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.  You can take it or leave it as you like. :)

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 05:36:33 pm »
Well being the college student I am, I'm poor.

:[

I think $20 without food included, is nice, and $30 with food [though it depends on the food!]
If it's going to be pizza and things like that, $15 is reasonable. But if it's going to be gourmet like "hell's kitchen" food, $30 [hitshead]

Offline PhantmK

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 06:51:33 pm »
$10 Cover charge, if they want food, charge them more. Thats what I would recommend anyway. As long as this masquerade Ball is just that, I would be happy too go. I just need to practice my traditional dance first. Its been way to long since I last did that.
Sometimes you just gotta pull out the stops give it your all and know that you will come out the other end alive, well, and ready for the next challenge. 
I'm still waiting for the next one.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 01:27:15 am »
Well, if you compare it to the minicon, there were what around 100 people?

I'm thinking renting a place with a large wood floor probally would cost around $500 or so for a night so I think that people can break even without charging that much.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 12:28:54 pm »
i never went to prom...
so would it be cosutme? or just masks or fancy dress? in anycase it sounds fun!

as for food, if you can get nice food for the event then the added price would be worth it but if it raises the price for stuff like pizza or chips I'd say dont bother cuz it would keep the price down
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 10:21:21 pm »
well it would be masquerade so i think the true rules for a ball of this kind apply.. on the matter of dress code.
when i went to my friends prom it was like 15 for one person and at my school we dont have dances just banquetes where we pay anywhere from 7.50-25.40 per person. just depends on the place and quality of food.. and music, make sure we have proper music.
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 10:48:45 am »
I think that $20 is a good medium ground. There's going to be the main ballroom for dancing, and I'm sure there'll be a table in the back for registration to the convention. Maybe if you're registered for '08 you can get a discount? Like $5 off?

Staff who work the event (like maybe, a dozen people) would get in free. The board would get in Free if they show up, but what about our VIPs? If a VIP showed up maybe they could get a discount on top of the pre-reg discount?

It doesn't really have to be that complicated but it will get more attention if it is.

I'm more interested in what else will be going on. I'd love to go dancing with Vallie but she can't stay on her feet that long.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 11:06:06 am »
My recommendation would be to have a set of formal dance lessons in the couple hours before the event and charge separately for those.
Personally I don't think I'd pay more than $10. Unless it was in Eugene so I didn't have to pay for transport.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 05:53:48 pm »
A friend of mine works for the german american society, they have a place with a fairly large wood floor.  I checked with him and for an evening it costs about $500 and can hold 100 people.

I'm not sure what all other places have been priced at.

Offline RobinSena

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 12:05:42 am »
Not sure where you are planning the event, but Gerlinger Hall at the University of Oregon is where I do my ballroom dancing and they charge $77 an hour for up to 6 hours, 6+ hours = $270-$462 total (See: http://uorec.uoregon.edu/rec_facility/general_information/rental_info.html).  We fit a ton of people in there and without food it's $5 for a normal dance, for the formal dances it's usually in the EMU, and the cost is around $10-$12 with arriving after 10:30pm (the dance is over at 11:30pm) free.  There is a lesson from 7:30pm - 8:30pm, then the dance starts at 8:30pm but the cost is the same until it's free, there's no discount for the length of time, or the lesson, it's included with the price.

"Well, it's going to look pretty good then, isn't it?  The One Horseman and the Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse." Terry Pratchett

Offline ZellGirl

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 12:54:09 am »
Conference rooms at hotels tend to be fairly reasonable.  When my father retired, we got estimates for rates from several hotels.  It tends to run anywhere from $75-125 an hour for a room that will accomodate 100 comfortably. 

The difference I can see between something like this and prom is that prom is a once-in-a-lifetime event (unless you happen to go to another school's prom as well), while this is clearly not.  Prom generally has a live band or DJ, free beverages and occassionally food, and is usually held in a very large building.  Some schools even include photos with their attendance fees.  Mine was held in the Portland Art Museum and I am positive the school shelled out a large amount of money for it.

Masonic Lodges, Elk's Clubs, Hotels, Public Buildings (rec centers and such) and Community Colleges would probably offer really great, inexpensive options versus venues that are intended solely for events.

Admission-wise, I'd suggest $8-10 if the venue allows without refreshments, and $12-20 with (depending on the kinds of food and beverage offered). 

You can save a lot of money by purchasing food and beverages from Costco and Winco.  Winco has good veggie trays and cheese and cracker trays for a really reasonable price.  Costco has cheap, tasty cake and bulk drinks. 

I've been involved with a fair bit of event planning, including several budget weddings, so if you want any ideas or suggestions, I'd be happy to offer some :)

Also, is this a masque, where people should be wearing formal attire but come masked or otherwise incognito, or just a wear-something-pretty-and-be-yourself event?
Itsuka dareka ga itte ta you ni
Kotae wa kaze no naka

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 02:20:44 pm »
We might get a deal from the Double-tree if we rent the ballroom for a date in Jan. Might wanna check with Rian aka Hotel Coordinator

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 05:12:12 pm »
We will hopefully have alot more information at the General Meeting, but I can say that this will be a formal and masked event :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 10:55:20 pm »
Hello there ^_^. I'm Tabitha and we met at the November General meeting. Well, like I said, I'm willing to donate my music collection and some decorations too, if you need it. And I'm also willing to help out with the Masquerade ball at Kumori Con as well.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 01:40:42 am »
I don't know if it would be realistic to do one this year; not enough people would know about it because hardly anyone comes on the forums except right before the con.  I think that ticket charge should be .5% of the combined cost of the venue + catering.  So, if the venue costs $1000 and another $600 for the catering, then it would be $32 per ticket.

Again, I think that it would be better to try this with some more publicity, AKA get the event well-planned-out and get it publicised at Sakuracon and Kumoricon '08, then you could probably expect around 400-800 guests and charge way less. (like $15 per ticket)

If you guys need to find a venue:
http://www.eventective.com/USA/Oregon/Portland/Party-Reunions.html
The Portland Art Museum might be your best bet.  That's where my school's prom for '07 was held, and, according to my friends who went, the venue was excellent.

One venue I didn't see on that thar list but I did find elsewhere was a venue called North Star Ballroom, which is 4000 square feet and looks pretty nice, but they don't list rental rates on their site, which gives me a feeling it's probably expensive.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 09:08:12 am »
Heya Tofu,

We actually did our official announcement of the ball at the General Meeting yesterday.  It is going to be February 2nd at the Milwaulkie Community Center.  Ticket cost will be $15 if you were not at Kumoricon '07, and $10 if you were.  Expect a webpage and staff sign-up soon. 

Until we have our own little corner of the forums feel free to ask questions here.  But, this thread will likely go away once we are more organized :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 04:00:10 pm »
since people are making analogies between this and prom, what if you just served prom-like refreshments at it? Like Punch, water and perhaps some cookies? Something simple. And ya know, poeple go out to dinner BEFORE prom, so yeah :D haha it's Otakuprom XD anyways yeah :D maybe we could have a poll on the forums to estimate how many people might come? and then decide. Because my experience with dances is either everyone comes or no-bo-dy comes DX

so let's just say it costs 500 dollars to rent the room for some hours.
Add 50 bucks for punch/cookies/napkins etc.
are you going to decorate? if so there's another 50-100 bucks
are you going to have to bring your own sound equipment? renting that is....alot XD.

and what if only 20 people actually show up?

Like I have complete faith in everyone desire to come, but desire and ability are very different things. If we had it in Portland Eugene folks would have problems coming. If we had it in Eugene, Portland folks would have problems coming. Not to mention the people who might forget, have x-y-or z to do on that night. etc etc.

anyways, if you think you can get at least 100 people to show, I'd say 10-15 bucks would leave you way in the clear.
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 05:14:05 pm »
Heya Lit_of_Fey,

I appriciate the thoughts, but we are now committed to the event.  I posted some details a little higher up.  This post will be locked once we get our own little corner of the forums for mini-events. 

In the meantime, feel free to ask questions about it here. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 05:36:25 pm »
Well, I plan on asking as many people as possible to be my multiple dates to this, so that should get about 20 people right there, most at $10, some at $15.

EDIT: You should update the first post with this information, 'cause I doubt I'm the only one who wasn't able to attend the Nov. General Meeting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:57:26 pm by DancingTofu »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 06:10:10 pm »
I also have a few friends looking forward to it, who will be paying the $15 price :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 07:09:50 pm »
Are there going to be flyers printed up to advertise this ball? If so, I'd like to take a stack and distribute it like crack (lol).

But I'll deffinately advertise to my friends and force my boyfriend to come ;).

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 11:56:30 pm »
OMG i know im just one man, but can i BEGGGGGG (and i do mean BEG) you to have it eaither Before the weekend of Jan 18th, or after the weekend of February 1st? Cause im commited to a theater production those weekends, and DESPERATLY want to do thissss!!!!!!!!

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 12:09:57 am »
Too bad it is going to be so late..would have been neat to go to with my girlfriend while she is here in early January. I may have to go regardless, though. Now to figure out a formal cosplay..
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 09:16:18 am »
OMG i know im just one man, but can i BEGGGGGG (and i do mean BEG) you to have it eaither Before the weekend of Jan 18th, or after the weekend of February 1st? Cause im commited to a theater production those weekends, and DESPERATLY want to do thissss!!!!!!!!

We are completely committed to the day we have.  Sorry. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 08:44:21 pm »
i must have missed when you said the day, what was it?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 08:47:22 pm »
i must have missed when you said the day, what was it?

February 2nd :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 01:03:28 am »
That's my birthday!

Also a friend of mine is getting married that day, hopefully I can balance all these things.

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 05:43:20 pm »
So... will this event be posted on the Kumoricon web page? Because that way, you can tell a lot more people quicker. Also, how many people does this place hold? Cuz it sounds little. (I mean come on, it's Milwaukie)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:23:16 pm by Nanao_chan »
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 08:39:27 pm »
So... will this event be posted on the Kumoricon web page? Because that way, you can tell a lot more people quicker. Also, how many people does this place hold? Cuz it sounds little. (I mean come on, it's Milwaukee)

The page will be up soon.  We'd hoped to launch the page the same day as the annoucement, but life happens :)

The upstairs of the center, where the dance floor is, is rated for an occupancy of 390 people. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 11:34:07 pm »
So... will this event be posted on the Kumoricon web page? Because that way, you can tell a lot more people quicker. Also, how many people does this place hold? Cuz it sounds little. (I mean come on, it's Milwaukee)
Milwaukie tyvm :<

It's the single largest venue in Milwaukie, which is actually larger than most Oregon cities with a population of over 18000 and two large public high schools.

I've got 10 dates so far.

Offline Basket

• Cabbit
    • http://www.Orhasket.Deviantart.com
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 07:53:46 pm »
=D Holy ugly buckets! I'm there!

One question though: Cosplay vrs. Formal wear.

I'm guessing cosplay is prefered, considering this is a sub-con event, but should the cosplay be rather formal as well? For instance, say, if a person's only costume was like, a giant pikachu fursuit or whatever and it was outstanding, would it be prefered that they wear that rather than a formal gown or vice versa?  Or, a not so extreme example, cat girls? School girls? Etc?  Any sort of hint to the prefered dress code helps =)
No No Four Times No I'm Not Your Daughter!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 08:00:08 pm »

I'm guessing cosplay is prefered, considering this is a sub-con event, but should the cosplay be rather formal as well? For instance, say, if a person's only costume was like, a giant pikachu fursuit or whatever and it was outstanding, would it be prefered that they wear that rather than a formal gown or vice versa?  Or, a not so extreme example, cat girls? School girls? Etc?  Any sort of hint to the prefered dress code helps =)

Dress has to be formal western wear, formal asian clothing or formal cosplay.  No school uniforms or the like.  Whether it is cosplay, costume or whatever it must be formal. 

Sorry, more details will be up soon. 

*Gets back to work on it*
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Auricle

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 11:49:47 am »
I think this is a great idea, and I will definitely attend. (As well as whoever else I can convince to come with me. ) About the dress code, would something like a long coat or cloak be acceptable? (Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts)
Possible Future Cosplays:
Sergio - Minor Acts of Heroism
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Maybe something from Homestuck
? ? ?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 12:42:34 pm »

Dress has to be formal western wear, formal asian clothing or formal cosplay.  No school uniforms or the like.  Whether it is cosplay, costume or whatever it must be formal. 

Sorry, more details will be up soon. 

*Gets back to work on it*

Do Ouran Host Club uniforms count? They could be considered "formal wear" because they are suits

Usually suits need to be dark-coloured to be considered formal wear.  So, probably not.  I will let you know when the dress code is formalized, though :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 08:52:51 am »
I have some black slacks / sports coat and collared shirt I may just go like that.

Offline PZB

• Oni
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 09:58:18 pm »
I think it depends on how strict they get on the term "formal."  True formal, for men anyway, is black tie, ie, tux.  Although not everyone would be able to afford a tux.  (thankfully, the hubby's already got one  ;D)

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 05:28:24 pm »
Hmm. If you need help on setting the dress code, I believe that Anime USA still has their formal dress code rules up. They did a ball at con and were very strict with dress code. Oddly, very few people tried to defy the dress code.

Like Trumby said, it's a little disappointing that it's in February since it would be nice to do something like this together, but it's much better for me to visit when I have a month off from school then to fly out for one weekend after the new semester starts.
Cannon romance is for lazy fans

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 05:22:38 pm »
Is there a posibility of another discount if you've already registered for k-con 2008? (stupid question, I know)
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 11:53:55 pm »
You will only be able to get one discount.

Sorry for the delay, guys... we should have all the information up by this weekend.  We will post it in the new mini-events forum, and most likely lock this thread so we can keep it all straight.  Thanks for all your patience :).
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2007, 04:21:46 pm »
I'm sure if you asked a mod nicely they could move the whole thread, if you wanted...
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Kaiware

• Cabbit
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2007, 08:34:49 pm »
I'd pay $15-$25 depending on the food and venue.  Even if there is no food, serving drinks would be really brilliant otherwise there'd be a lot of dehydrated otaku.....or at least me since I always forget to bring liquid.

Sounds like fun!!!
Kumoricon '06: Akio (Utena)
Kumoricon '07: Lust (FMA)
Kumoricon '08:Yuuko (XXXholic) & Eclair (Kiddy Grade)
Kumoricon '09: Nadie (El Cazador de la Bruja)
Kumoricon '10: ??

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 10:47:24 pm »
it sounds like fun but if too much stress is put on dress code (i can understand not wanting peeps to show up in ripped jeans and a t-shirt), but a nice cosplay thats a suit or a dressy cosplay, it would require purchasing somthing suitible it would be a stress and i dont know how many people would go if the codes are too strict

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2007, 06:05:21 pm »
Is anyone aware of the Portland Vampire Masquerade Ball? http://www.vampireballpdx.com/

Even though they are after Kumori Con's ball (weekend of Sakura Con in fact), maybe you could e-mail the person that runs the event for tips for solidifying the dress code. I e-mailed her for help when I was coming up for the dress code for Sakura Con and Lady Raven was a great help!

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2007, 10:34:03 pm »
Online registration will be available soon... we are getting it set up thru the same system as convention registration.  An announcement will be made in the mini-event forum when it is available.

Thanks for all your patience :)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2007, 09:31:50 am »
I know I'm not in the side of the Publicity department that does this kind of thing, but it's starting to look a little worrying.  There's absolutely no chatter in the Publicity forum area about signs or fliers or anything like that for this event.

Has anyone yet established a contact within the Publicity department who would coordinate the launch for this?
Do we have any plans on how to involve a more specialized subset of the culture who would be interested in attending a formal event as opposed to a very informal kind of fair of sales and anime viewing that Kumoricon seems to be?

(PS: I'm the wrong point to try to establish such a contact through.  Probably the director, Jeff (JeffT) is who you should initially get in touch with.)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2007, 05:11:08 pm »
feb 2nd is also coming up rather fast, its really onl about a month away, and peeps need the dress code if they want to make somthing for this

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2007, 10:53:06 pm »
I know I'm not in the side of the Publicity department that does this kind of thing, but it's starting to look a little worrying.  There's absolutely no chatter in the Publicity forum area about signs or fliers or anything like that for this event.

Has anyone yet established a contact within the Publicity department who would coordinate the launch for this?
Do we have any plans on how to involve a more specialized subset of the culture who would be interested in attending a formal event as opposed to a very informal kind of fair of sales and anime viewing that Kumoricon seems to be?

(PS: I'm the wrong point to try to establish such a contact through.  Probably the director, Jeff (JeffT) is who you should initially get in touch with.)

I am waiting on the materials from the Masquerade Ball committee to post. :) I've been a bit behind on things lately, but I am watching, though been sort of quiet recently. Updates on flyers, signs, and some promotional events are coming soon.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2008, 10:38:02 am »
Information regarding the masquerade ball and registration can be found in this thread.

Information regarding the dress code can be found in this thread.

Please post any further discussion in those threads.