Author Topic: 2008 - Board Elected - Vice President  (Read 6679 times)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
2008 - Board Elected - Vice President
« on: October 08, 2007, 01:09:28 pm »
VICE PRESIDENT
is responsible for the following:

The duties of the President shall be to:
  • 1. Preside at all meetings of the organization;
  • 2. Call the annual ALTONIMBUS ENTERTAINMENT Board Meeting;
  • 3. Call meetings for the election of officers;
  • 4. Have general supervision of the affairs of the organization;
  • 5. To personally represent the organization on proper occasions and in business contacts;
  • 6. Appoint any person or committee not otherwise ordered by the organization;
  • 7. Assist all other officers of the organization in their records, correspondence and other organization duties.

The duties of the Vice President shall be to:
  • 1. Assist the President with all organization, business and management.
  • 2. Perform the duties of the President in her/his absence.

Failure to actively persue the above responsibilities is legitimate cause for a motion to dismiss by any member of the board.

Please post your comments and questions for the nominees who have accepted the nomination for  below.

Nominees:
(To be filled in when I find where it's mentioned/edited by a moderator.)
Dawn Hewitt AKA rathany (recent posts)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:54:11 pm by MichaelEvans »
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2008 - Board Elected - Vice President
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:28:43 pm »
I'd like to point out that the Vice President is unique in that while technically, by the bylaws, anyone is allowed to nominate the Vice President, this has been traditionally, since its inception, left up to the incoming President to choose and for the board to approve. So the board is likely to only approve whomever the President selects unless they have a problem with that selection in particular.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:41:21 pm »
Thank you, however it would still be nice to be able to see Q and A in this area also.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:44:39 pm »
I agree. It's still board-elected so yeah, the VP nominee should get grilled too. Currently Mike has nominated Dawn Hewitt (rathany on the forums) for VP.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:19 pm »
I have heard that all of registration will be put in the hands of the Vice President, effectively adding the duties of the Registration manager to the duties of the Vice Chair.

Is this true?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »
I agree. It's still board-elected so yeah, the VP nominee should get grilled too. Currently Mike has nominated Dawn Hewitt (rathany on the forums) for VP.

Feel free to grill me :)

As for Tom's question, I need to get a bit more info from some people before answering that to make sure my answer is correct.
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:39:00 am »
that would make no sense to me whatsover.
i'm sure there are many who would be competent to be vice chair who would want to focus on other things than reg.
i'm sure there are many who have worked in reg who would lack the time to be vp.
i would not want there to be any precedent set that the two have to be linked.
now if it happens that the person who the president wants as the vp also happens to want to and be equipped to run reg, i don't see why that person couldn't do both hypothetically (although pragmatically, since the vp has to be available for all roles of the president in case something happens to that person, being linked to the reg desks seems quite impracticable to me!).but that would not be so much of a conflict if the vp wanted to run just PRE reg.  however, i would still think it would be up to jess the new ops director to appoint who was going to run reg, and who was going to run pre-reg. unless the idea is that reg is going to be separated from ops and become its own department. i would support that idea. however, i would want there to then be a director of that department, rather than have the vp be the director of that department. and that director logically should have been elected at the recent elections, though i suppose they could instead become a position appointed by the board.........????????
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 02:49:09 pm »
... though i suppose they could instead become a position appointed by the board.........????????

Turning the Registration Manager for Kumoricon into a Board-Elected position makes sense to me, it would play havoc with the org charts though.

I don't understand why a lot of people want to be their own departments and have more directors running around. Sure we're a bigger convention but I think we can still improve on our current bureaucracy before we add more. Each of the directors will be redesigning their org charts to eliminate "mooks and grunts" so we'll see how that shakes out this year.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:57:13 pm »
While certainly a fair question elsewhere I'm not sure what relevance to Dawn's candidacy the question of registration has. Ok, actually, I don't think it's relevant at all, hence why I'm posting. :P

Please keep the discussion limited to Dawns ideas about the position and what she will do in her job, that sort of thing, not side discussions that she can't answer.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 03:25:31 pm »
Please keep the discussion limited to Dawns ideas about the position and what she will do in her job, that sort of thing, not side discussions that she can't answer.

Well, I didn't know that she wouldn't be able to answer that....
Anyway, hmmmmm...... VP questions.....

How would you entertain the people at the VIP dinner if the Relations Director and the Con Chair are busy with some sort of emergency?

Dawn, you have mentioned that you are assembling a "Big Book of Policy". How much detail do you plan to include in this tome? Bylaws and convention policy are obvious, but will you got to the trouble of including contest rules and dress code guidelines?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 08:47:56 pm »
How would you entertain the people at the VIP dinner if the Relations Director and the Con Chair are busy with some sort of emergency?

Filksing?  Describing games of Go I've played move by move?

Um, seriously, probably try to be a good host and keep conversation flowing by introducing interesting topics of conversation when conversation runs out.  I'd think that the people who bought VIP badges want a chance to just chat with the guests and that the guests want to relax a bit.  I think that is the best way to accomplish it. 

Dawn, you have mentioned that you are assembling a "Big Book of Policy". How much detail do you plan to include in this tome? Bylaws and convention policy are obvious, but will you got to the trouble of including contest rules and dress code guidelines?

Hrrmm... I think that contest rules should not be in it.  Though, if someone has a contest question it should say who to talk to.  Contest logistics might be in flux right until the contest starts, so, trying to get down to that level of fine detail might cause more fuss that it prevents.  Though, I would do things like ask Jaki what sort of programming info would be good to have in the book, and what should be left out because it will be too subject to change. 

Also, if a contest is confusing people, it's probably best that a person talks directly to the organizer of the contest without someone else trying to step in. 

Dress codes both for the con in general and specific events should definitly be in there.  Those are things that need to be clearly set before the con starts. 

Alot of what I plan to put in there is based on questions and rumours from last year.  Last year a couple people told me that staff couldn't cosplay.  This turned out to not be the case at all.  I like the idea of having a central resource that staff can rely on. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:03:26 pm by Rathany »
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp