Author Topic: Anime movie night at Kumoricon 2008  (Read 5226 times)

u2205

Anime movie night at Kumoricon 2008
« on: September 28, 2007, 02:37:30 pm »
Tom and I were talking last night about how it would be great if we could rent a theater at the Lloyd Center the Friday night before the convention so everyone there could watch a movie. This would give everyone that showed up early or was there from out of town something to do that night. What does everyone think of the idea?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:43:42 pm by Mr_Mustash »

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Re: Anime movie night at Kumoricon 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 04:22:40 pm »
I think that would be awesome! I think something all ages and classic would be great (My Neighbor Totoro, POKEMON THE MOVIE! 2000 [A+++ xD] ) or something would be A+.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:50:16 pm »
That would be awesome. 

We could also telk to them and let them know of our presence in case they want to show, like, Paprika, that weekend or something.  Though, labor day might be a big movie weekend already. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:24:48 pm »
I think it is a good idea also you and tom got going..  It would also help give publicity of kumorcon to regal cinimas.  Friday night is generally a busy night for movies but I think it is still worth a shot.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:20:57 pm »
That would be awesome! That would serve as some incentive to come down on Friday at least for me(Maybe 4 hour drives at 4 AM aren't a very good idea. lawlz!).
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:28:39 pm »
Sounds like a brilliant idea! I agree, a classic movie would be a good bet, like Totoro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke (notice a Miyazaki trend?). I'd go for it, for sure.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 08:40:29 pm »
I love this idea!*bows to Tom and Mr_Mustach* I hope this is put into effect!
Secrety secrets!

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 12:20:25 am »
I unfortunately agree with Jeff's answer to the more general form of this question from the elections thread.  However I will offer a suggestion we might be able to use next year.  Adding Friday afternoon as a warmup day/evening would give us time to run another set of late night pannels, and also have an extra-short day when not everything would need to be up and running, but some of the smaller things could be.  In that, we could use the main hall as a theatre.

Sounds like a brilliant idea! I agree, a classic movie would be a good bet, like Totoro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke (notice a Miyazaki trend?). I'd go for it, for sure.

Perfect movies, content wise, for the job, I own two of them on DVD, however off the top of my head I think it was Disney that released them for this region: I can't really imagine Disney giving us very good terms for prints/public viewings.  That's just a highly uninformed guess however.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Ren+Pocky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:57:17 am »

Yes! Miyazaki, plz. ^^ Perfect thing for all ages.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 12:41:08 pm »
Wow! Love the idea! Yes, PLEASE Miyazaki. Totoro and Kiki's are my favs.

Offline avatar

• Cabbit
    • http://www.avatarwa.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 04:04:03 pm »
I think it is a good idea.  Anyone know how much it cost to rent out the theater?

KumoriCon Photos --> http://wp.me/P3Jzz-K
Blog -->   http://avatarwa.wordpress.com

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 07:29:43 pm »
Awesome! I'd go.
Miyazaki A+

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 10:09:03 am »
I'm going to have to just go and find out how much it takes to rent the theaters out for events in general. The movies and rights to them is secondary at this point. Having ANY movie will be something cool as long as we have the theater.

I know that you can rent a theater, but how much extra will it cost to have the theater on a Friday night, on Labor Day weekend?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline PhantmK

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 12:55:38 pm »
I dont know how much. But I do hope that it works out. I would love to see something Like Gundam Wing: Endless waltz, or FF7: AC on the big screen. So good luck and let me know if there is something I can do to help.
Sometimes you just gotta pull out the stops give it your all and know that you will come out the other end alive, well, and ready for the next challenge. 
I'm still waiting for the next one.

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 10:32:43 am »
It may be cheaper and easier to possibly show the movie outdoors in the park, and set up a large screen with a projector. This way you can pitch it as a free event, and thus do not need rights to show it as you are not charging admission. =)
I can has cheezburger?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 08:44:07 pm »
It may be cheaper and easier to possibly show the movie outdoors in the park, and set up a large screen with a projector. This way you can pitch it as a free event, and thus do not need rights to show it as you are not charging admission. =)

The anime companies give us permission to show things at the con without charging us, anyway. May as well have it indoors so the screen is brighter, the sound is louder, and the distractions are less. ^_^
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 10:00:38 pm »
I can see it now, Friday night, in the main hall, before opening ceremonies, sound-setup test... Anime Movie night.

Ok, maybe it's hard to see it given the layout this year.  If the area theatres have more of a ramp/pit design (Think Imax/Omsi style) then it's much nicer for actually seeing what's on the screen.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 10:10:17 am »
I can see it now, Friday night, in the main hall, before opening ceremonies, sound-setup test... Anime Movie night.

Ok, maybe it's hard to see it given the layout this year.  If the area theatres have more of a ramp/pit design (Think Imax/Omsi style) then it's much nicer for actually seeing what's on the screen.

... which would be why the idea was to try to rent a regal theater across the street...
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 12:26:24 am »
I definitely think it's worth looking in to, either in the theater or hotel itself. And if you did it at the theater, I don't think many would object to giving a few dollars extra to help the con pay for it if need be, though that may just be me. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman