Author Topic: "History of Console RPGs" Panel - seeking feedback!  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
"History of Console RPGs" Panel - seeking feedback!
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:48:33 am »
Hi there, just in case you didn't know, I ran the panel "A Brief History of Console RPGs." :)

This was one of the more casual lecture panels (or at least the subject matter was), but I enjoyed giving it, and I wanted to make sure others did too. I'd like to do it again next year, so in preparation I wanted to ask what people thought of it, and what could be improved.

Just so you know, the purpose of the panel (besides just being generally enlightening) was to take various trends in the RPG genre, and trace as many as possible back to their source (which is usually one or two specific titles). I was hoping that by doing so, people would have a better idea of what the genre is all about, and most importantly, how to figure out what they like best about RPGs, so they can find similar titles to enjoy inside (or outside) the genre.

So... any comments? Questions? Opinions?
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Re: "History of Console RPGs" Panel - seeking feedback!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:07:19 am »
sadly I missed your panel but my very first console rpg (and first game played) was dragon warrior 1 and final fantasy 1. recently I have gotten into dot hack (both normal and GU) and I also have all of the breath of fire series. lets see what we can find in common within these title structures.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:24:44 pm »
I missed it sorry.  Sunday I set down the schedule and just sorta went with the flow.  It started giving me a headache planning stuff out but I would have liked to come.  Sounds like a panel I would have enjoyed.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 01:38:38 am »
Thanks, you two. While I do always enjoy familiar faces, don't worry if you weren't able to make it. We had plenty of people. I'm just not sure how many of them specifically looked forward to the panel, and how many dropped in because they had some free time. Of course, for most people it's a little of both. :)

As for me, my first RPG was Dragon Warrior 3, on the NES, then #4 (awesome) followed by #2 (controller-smashing). After that I played FF1 (awkward but pretty). Then around 1997 I got a used SNES, and the rest is history.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 08:54:22 pm »
For me, my very first RPG was zelda 2.  The exciting setting , amazing graphics and dazzling swordplay drug me in. 

I eventually did some kings quests and gold box D&D games before moving onto the SNES and later sega / sega CD.
I remember my friend had might and magic 2 which was uber cool.  Then he got lunar the silver star which was the most amazing game EVAR to me in elementary school.

Offline stonemonkthewise

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 09:53:30 pm »
There was a panel for this?! I missed it, cruel fate, why?!

My first experiences dealing with RPG's and becoming somewhat addicted to them was Final Fantasy (NES, I also never beat it), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, Secret of Mana (SNES), there are others, but to name them all just isn't my current style, plus, I can't remember... Others that sorta introduced me to video games in the first place are Super Mario bros., Donkey Kong, Megaman 1-6 (NES), Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers and so on... A major hitter for me though was definitely Super Mario World (SNES). I probably wouldn't be a gamer today had it not been for Nintendo.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:15:41 am »
Did you guys talk about rpgs only released in japan or fansubbed rpg roms? 

I was watching an anime called tales of phantasia and it turns out that it was based on a 1995 SNES game that was only released in japan, however the WIKI says that fansubbers created english versions of it.  I didn't know that this could be done and it was the first time I heard of it.