Author Topic: Sakura and Kumoricon  (Read 7274 times)

Offline Yamie

• Oni
Sakura and Kumoricon
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:18:18 pm »
Does anyone have allot of experience going to both cons? This year was my first con and i went to Kumoricon and had fun for the most part, but i want to attend Sakura con next year and i was wondering is it bigger and more vendors/events at sakura compared to kumoricon?

Anyone have any exptersie advice on the two con sizes for me would be much appreciated

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
Re: Sakura and Kumoricon
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:26:39 pm »
The only thing I know is that SakuraCon is a lot bigger. It costs more money to get in, so yeah. I'd expect more vendors....

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:41:14 pm »
Although the Sakura Dealer's Room is six to nine times bigger, it doesn't really feel that way. You go in, quickly absorb everything except your own money, come out, and that's it.

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:13:34 pm »
  I haven't been to Sakuracon in a couple years but I can give info on how it was then, and the biggest changes since then have been size and local.  Sakuracon and Kumoricon have been akin to siblings for years.  Sakura has been around for a while long and as such is rather bigger.  This is both because of natural growth and the fact that Kumoricon has been striving to retain a small convention feel.  Sakura does have a number more panels and guests then Kumoricon has as well as a few 24 hour areas (at least this was the case last time I was there but might have been different now).  The Vending area at Sakura is a consistent size every year and is roughly 60% - 100% larger then that at Kumoricon.  It is a lot of fun so I suggest going and having fun.  You'll probably see a lot of the Kumoricon staff there as many of us work for both.
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline Rikki

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:30:01 pm »
These are the only two conventions I've ever been to (I've gone to Sakura Con the past few years and this year was my first Kumoricon). I love the small-con vibe of Kumoricon and Sakura Con is in my hometown and I know that area like the back of my hand. [Everything I say is pretty much an opinion!]

Kumoricon:
Pro- Friendlier enviroment, personable, cheaper, nicer crowds
Con- Um.. smaller dealers room

Sakura Con:

Pro- Giant Dealers Room, Plethora of Activities, more Guests of Honor, a few 24 hour activities, Cheesecake Factory
Con- Downtown Seattle location = expensive food!!, more expensive in general, easy to get lost in crowd, ineffective pre-registration system [lines take HOURS]

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:55:28 pm »
 Sakura con..yes it is very big. They certainly have a LOT more booths in the dealers room, but its pretty much more of the same. Aside from that they really dont have anything KC doesnt. Except the numbers.

Which really isnt all that great. Just more people to argue over photoshoot time slots.

Also, it is in slightly better area. The hotels are closer, and there are more resteraunts. Tho few are open after 10 PM.

Sakura con is known as the 'family friendly con. Theyve compeltley forgoten what the anime fandom is about.
Since when is anime about being PC and child friendly? Or adhearing to the mainstream?

It is very large and the more people who attend, the more people therye are to get offended. And SC playcates everyone of them.

From the soccer moms who bring theyre children thinking anime is all Pokemon,
 and the otaku  parents who are too lazy to find babaysitters and just drag therye chidlren along expecting eveyrone ELSE to make sure theyre children dont see anything offensive, to the homophobic fanboys.

They remind me of a large goverment. Say something they dont agree with and theyll insult you like little children.

Prove them wrong and or hypocritcal, youll be shut down and theyll act as tho it never happened.

All of this is mainly on the forum, but a lot of the staff are ON the forum. That kind of thing seems to be the general additude of SC anyway.

While KC does have a few bad apples on theyre satff; KC will admit this and deal with them.

SC seems to have a bit of a cliquish staff. I know some SC staff are also on KC and probably here too and dont like what I have to say but its true.

Wether it IS the fault of the lowly staff or the higher ups like the Chair or whomever, SOMEONE has butchered SC and needs to answer for it rather than just saying " Were in charge, its OUR con, not yours  if you dont like it GTFO"  yes that WAS said.

I think what has happened is that they started out as such a small con, and as it began to grow so did therye egos.

Ehe..anyway if your not picky and just like to hang out with other peoplewho like anime and go to family friendly panels, then Id reccomend it.

But if you have issues with all mighty authoritai and censorship, then I suggest you save you money for another con.

Offline Yamie

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:26:34 pm »
Thanks for the feedback :)
Not a fan of places that support censorship but i probably will still go with some friends because kumoricon was fun  ;)

Offline Miss Citrus

• Cabbit
    • El Jay
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:08 pm »
While a lot the the stuff you said about the administration of SC is true, ThiefKingsHier, I don't think it reflects the actual experience of going to the con, just as an attendee. While I still haven't made it down to KCon (arg! Something always thwarts my plans. ;__; ), I can tell you right now the SC is significantly bigger, and with that comes a whole new set of problems. But, SC is still a huge amount of fun. It won't have the closer "small con feel" that KCon probably has, but there's TONS of stuff to do, and at all hours. SC07 had more programming, games, and guests than Otakon '07 did, and Otakon is twice SC's size. So there a pros and cons (no pun intended) to a bigger convention, just like there are for smaller ones. ^^

ineffective pre-registration system [lines take HOURS]

It's my understanding that this was in large part due to where they've had to hold registration over the past couple of years. It was in an awkward location and they couldn't have as many booths as they needed. In '08 it's going to be in what was the Dealer's Room, so theoretically things will run much more smoothly. (And I would like to note that the line on Thursday is not very long and moves very quickly. ;3)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:28:40 pm by Miss Citrus »
My Photo Archive + Cosplay.com + CosplayLab + ACP
Pika Pika Queen on SCMB.

Offline Daidouji

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:54:19 pm »
I have gone to KC for several years and I went to SC for the first time last year. I love KC to death, because it's fun and it's my home convention, but I had so much fun at SC. True, the pre-reg line did take a long time, but it wasn't a big deal because I was with other people in line, so you have people to talk to, XD. I didn't have any problems with staff at all. The only problems I had were some heated conflicts between the group of people I brought. I suggest going, checking it out, and I'm sure you'll love it. ^-^
Kumoricon 07- Rena *Higurashi no Naku Koro ni*
Sakuracon 07-Kaoru *Ouran High School Host Club*
Kumoricon 08-Sakura *Cardcaptor Sakura*
Sakuracon 08- Haruhi Suzumiya

Offline DuckyL

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 10:02:46 pm »
i highly reccomend coming to Scon! and i also basically agree with everything that has been said. ^^ the only thing i can add it that for the cosplay event, it can suck not getting a good seat, because the room is HUGE. and 2 screens can only do so much... >.o

Con Plans:
YaoiCon07(L, Son Goku) SakuraCon08(L, ZeroSuit Samus, Yuri) PAX08
Cons Past:
SakuraCon04-06 PAX06 SakuraCon07 PAX07 KumoriCon07

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:15:56 pm »
While a lot the the stuff you said about the administration of SC is true, ThiefKingsHier, I don't think it reflects the actual experience of going to the con, just as an attendee. While I still haven't made it down to KCon (arg! Something always thwarts my plans. ;__; ), I can tell you right now the SC is significantly bigger, and with that comes a whole new set of problems. But, SC is still a huge amount of fun. It won't have the closer "small con feel" that KCon probably has, but there's TONS of stuff to do, and at all hours. SC07 had more programming, games, and guests than Otakon '07 did, and Otakon is twice SC's size. So there a pros and cons (no pun intended) to a bigger convention, just like there are for smaller ones. ^^

Hai its still fun, if you can avoid the staff, which is difficult, but by comparison, K-con is MUCH more fun.

Honestly, Im truly worried that K-con wil share the same fate once it gets bigger. ;_;

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:28:08 pm »
The Dealer's Room is freaking sweet.

no offense to the kumori con one, but I think there are more....older things at Sakuracon. The same number of Naruto keychains, but also much more that I would want to buy. UGH. BEING "OLDSCHOOL."

This was my first Kumori con, but as a very seasoned Sakura con veteran (since 2000, my dad went to Baka Con 99 (the 2nd Sakura-con)), it is a REALLY different experience. Kumori was a lot of what Sakuracon used to be (like...2002, 2003) where it's more personal. More people seem to know each other and there's less concentration on "ASIDFHAWISHG MUST GET PICTURES OF EVERY HAWT COSPLAYER EVERZ." Sakura-con is less let's-have-fun-in-the-hallways-playin'-games mainly because there isn't much room in the hallways (except the 5th floor, we can goof off there). But it's still so much fun. AND IT'S 24 HOURS. I was a little sad when it was 2 AM and there was nothing to do but go back to the hotel room and attempt to wake my roommates up by trying for 15 minutes to put the ironing board away.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline DuckyL

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 11:45:31 pm »
I was a little sad when it was 2 AM and there was nothing to do but go back to the hotel room and attempt to wake my roommates up by trying for 15 minutes to put the ironing board away.

mind you, she failed xD this one sleeps like a LOG

Con Plans:
YaoiCon07(L, Son Goku) SakuraCon08(L, ZeroSuit Samus, Yuri) PAX08
Cons Past:
SakuraCon04-06 PAX06 SakuraCon07 PAX07 KumoriCon07

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 12:10:31 am »
Yeah one thing that kind of annoys me is the lack of old school anime in the vendors room. Obviously it's a business so they gotta go with what sells, but I'd love to find some plushies and t-shirts for some of my older favorite animes. That said.. I already spend way too much money as it is.. XD

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Airika

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 12:13:56 am »
I've been to Sakura-con, 3 years and Kumori-con once. I guess my advice is that Sakura-con is more of con to hang with your friends and enjoy anime fandom while Kumori-con is a place to make more friends and enjoy anime fandom.

You could do both at both cons but I noticed that Kumori-con has a "everyone is family" friendlier atmosphere which Sakura-con used to have but kinda lost as more and more people came. That's where the size of a con effects that part? I think...o.O;
Basically what meg-chan said lol ^^;
But as other people said, Sakura-con defintely has more entertainment, panels, concerts and much more to do versus Kumori-con.
Sakura-con 05-07. Anime Expo 07. Anime Evolution 07. Penny Arcade Expo 07. What's next!?

Myspace YAY: www.myspace.com/ringytheperv

Offline Ryu-chan

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 12:23:15 am »
oooo ill be going to sakura con for the first time next year! xD but this time im going as shuichi~ hehe!  gee i hope i meet lots more people like i did at kumoricon haha!

Offline emmyriceball

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 06:45:46 am »
I've gone to Sakuracon twice and Kumoricon once. From what I've experienced so far, they're about the same level of fun. (Although yaoi/yuri paddles have been banned, I believe, at SC ;.;) Sakuracon's bigger with more shops, but the variety is still about the same. Sakuracon is larger and a little more proffesional-seeming, but Kumoricon is still just as fun to go to, in my opinion. :3

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 12:09:41 pm »
Sakura con is known as the 'family friendly con. Theyve compeltley forgoten what the anime fandom is about.
Since when is anime about being PC and child friendly? Or adhearing to the mainstream?

It is very large and the more people who attend, the more people therye are to get offended. And SC playcates everyone of them.

and the otaku  parents who are too lazy to find babaysitters and just drag therye chidlren along expecting eveyrone ELSE to make sure theyre children dont see anything offensive, to the homophobic fanboys.

I find this a very interesting situation that has to be addressed with almost any successful convention-type event.

We want to be popular, but how popular is too popular??

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to inform "soccer moms" that anime is more than just pokemon, but I personally don't think that is the main purpose of Kumoricon. SakuraCon seems to have moved towards educating the masses about Asian pop-cultural, wheras Kumoricon feels more fan-centric. The two have an almost symbiotic relationship (I hear most of Kumoricon's electrical equipment is owned by "Big Sister") which I think works well. And as long as people continue to go to both, we can both continue to exist!

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 01:07:47 pm »
I started out with Kumoricon 2005 so this was my 3rd Kcon and I've been to two Sakura-cons (2006, 2007) and I definitely enjoy both of them. But to me Sakura-con isn't really about going to panels or a whole lot of events, as has been said before, it's more about hanging out with your con friends and just having a good time. At Sakura-con this year I didn't go to any panels at all...and only the main 4 events (opening/closing ceremonies, amv contest, cosplay contest). The rest of my time was spent wandering around with friends. Though kcon I do staff so I can't really compare what I do down here as to what I do up there.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 06:22:57 pm »
. (Although yaoi/yuri paddles have been banned, I believe, at SC ;.;)

you're right. And thank goodness. XD Seeing the amount of BROKEN yaoi/yuri paddles at Kumori made me want to run and hide.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 06:24:24 pm »
. (Although yaoi/yuri paddles have been banned, I believe, at SC ;.;)

you're right. And thank goodness. XD Seeing the amount of BROKEN yaoi/yuri paddles at Kumori made me want to run and hide.

Yeah, that kind of scared me too. >.>

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 07:18:30 pm »

and the otaku  parents who are too lazy to find babaysitters and just drag therye chidlren along expecting eveyrone ELSE to make sure theyre children dont see anything offensive, to the homophobic fanboys.

I find this a very interesting situation that has to be addressed with almost any successful convention-type event.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to inform "soccer moms" that anime is more than just pokemon, but I personally don't think that is the main purpose of Kumoricon. SakuraCon seems to have moved towards educating the masses about Asian pop-cultural, wheras Kumoricon feels more fan-centric. The two have an almost symbiotic relationship (I hear most of Kumoricon's electrical equipment is owned by "Big Sister") which I think works well. And as long as people continue to go to both, we can both continue to exist!

Oh no, nothing at all wrong with informing the soccer moms..but they DONT. They simply bend over backwards to make them happy.

Thats what I really dont understand; everytime I make a comaplint about how SC has become well, the very thing most anime fans are against they say " If you dont like it, then dont attend" 
Why didnt they tell this to the ones who complained in the first place, rather then the ya knwo actual anime fans? Thats messed up.

Yea, that is worth pointing out too; SC does have a lot of general 'japanese culture' panels too. Im a big fan of the taiko drums myself. So if your into that kind of thing its a good con to attend.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 07:33:46 pm »

Oh no, nothing at all wrong with informing the soccer moms..but they DONT. They simply bend over backwards to make them happy.

Thats what I really dont understand; everytime I make a comaplint about how SC has become well, the very thing most anime fans are against they say " If you dont like it, then dont attend" 
Why didnt they tell this to the ones who complained in the first place, rather then the ya knwo actual anime fans? Thats messed up.

Yea, that is worth pointing out too; SC does have a lot of general 'japanese culture' panels too. Im a big fan of the taiko drums myself. So if your into that kind of thing its a good con to attend.

I'm not invalidating your claim, but I'd just like to say that I haven't ever really noticed that at Sakuracon. Just avoid the fourth floor escalator guard and the rest of the con is gold, as far as I know.

Offline Ryu-chan

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 07:52:48 pm »
wonder if we can do glomp circles xD those are fun~

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 05:40:40 pm »
*raises hand* I've been to every Kumori Con since first year ('03), and every Sakura Con since their third year (which was in 2000). There are people who are more seasoned than me, but not many who live in the Springfield/Eugene area.

For a con attendee who has been to Kumori Con, here are the things to watch out for if you go to Sakura Con:

1. Lines are longer in general. There are more events, too, so it's not necessarily exponential, but longer lines are a fact of life for a "Big Ten" convention.

2. It's downtown, whereas Kumori Con is still being held at hotels which are further from the center of the metro area. This means that Sak's hotels are significantly more expensive, and they also get far more "walk-in" attendance now that they've been there for two years straight. Additionally, hotels will gouge you on parking costs. Expect to pay more than $10/night at most hotels. Always ask about their parking rates before making a reservation.

3. Huge crowds make it difficult to find people. You WILL miss some of your favorite cosplays, and have trouble finding friends unless you know where they are. ALWAYS exchange cell phone numbers, and be very specific about meet-up locations. And try to have a designated buddy if you hate wandering alone. :P

4. Since Sakura Con is held at a downtown convention center, it is no longer connected directly to a hotel. This isn't always a huge inconvenience, but if you don't get "dibs" on the closest hotels early on, you will have some walking ahead of you. Last year I had to walk 5 blocks to get onto convention grounds, which was especially nerve-wracking when I was doing a crossplay. T_T

It also means that you should learn the area as well as possible to avoid wasting your energy walking around the outside of the building to use the front entrance. The difference between the front and the rear entrance could be as much as 5 minutes walking distance. What's more, it's on a hill. o_o;

5. The first "official" hotel on their list usually fills up LONG before the convention starts. I haven't looked, but it's possible that it is already booked full right now. You need to have a ridiculous amount of foresight to avoid having to walk a long distance to the con, especially since the closest hotel is also the most expensive, and no longer directly affiliated with the con, so they don't offer a Sakura Con group rate.

6. Since it's at the gigantic downtown convention center, there's plenty of space in the halls, despite the fact that people are always moving in droves. The convention center has escalators, which are a GODSEND, combating both distance and multiple floors at once.

6. Main events are huuuuuuuuuge. Prerecorded CD tracks are required for cosplay, microphones don't always work well when they ARE used, and you may have to resort to watching the TV screens to the sides when you can't see what's happening on stage. Personally, I hate ALL of the above and would rather just skip all live events with 1000+ attendees. After all, the quality of the skits is only marginally better than Kumori Con's, if at all.

7. On the upside, bigger events mean more fans of obscure anime and video games! ...provided you can find them. If you enjoy an obscure show or game, look hard enough, and you may be rewarded with some rare cosplays and fun conversation. ;)

About registration: the reg AND pre-reg lines at Sakura Con in 2007 were the worst that they've ever been in the history of Sakura Con. This is because 2007 was the second year in which it was held downtown. In 2006, many people (mainly high schoolers) heard at the last minute that it was being held within the reach of public transportation, but weren't able to attend on such short notice. When 2007 came around, they were ready, and consequently flooded registration, resulting in a 2-hour minimum wait time which persisted from morning to dusk, even through Saturday and part of Sunday.

The bad news is that Sak' will be even huger from now on. The good news is that their staff now knows just how bad it will be, and will try their damndest to prevent the lines from being that long again this year. One staffer has already revealed one of their efforts to us (moving reg and pre-reg to the former dealer's room).

All-in-all, the main deterrent from going to Sakura Con is the cost. Every year I have to wrestle with the question of whether it is worth the huge drain on my bank account. Personally, I don't think being bigger really makes them any more fun than they used to be, but beyond Sakura and Kumori, there isn't anything else in the way of anime conventions in Washington or Oregon. Go to Sakura Con if you want to try it out, but bring your cell phone, pack a cooler of food, and plan your trip MONTHS ahead of time if you can. That means you should make your hotel reservations NOW. You can always cancel, sometimes the day before your arrival date!  Just ask them about their cancellation policy, and you'll be good to go. :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 05:45:15 pm by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 05:57:43 pm »
I've never been to Sakura, and this was my second year coming to Kumoricon. Since Sakura's a much longer drive and would be a hell of a lot more expensive, I think I'll just stick to Kumoricon for now. I probably won't bother with Sakura until I have someone to go with. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it without going with someone else.
You've been among winebibbers and riotous eaters of flesh, haven't you?
I admit I told you to sell your body, but I did only mean your organs. - Excel

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 06:53:19 pm »
I've never been to Sakura, and this was my second year coming to Kumoricon. Since Sakura's a much longer drive and would be a hell of a lot more expensive, I think I'll just stick to Kumoricon for now. I probably won't bother with Sakura until I have someone to go with. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it without going with someone else.

That would be a resounding "yes." I can't imagine ever going alone. That'd literally cost hundreds of dollars, if you stayed in a hotel.

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 08:34:14 pm »
i think it all comes down to what you want out of a con experience, and whether you are going there as an attendee or as a staff person. (or somewhere in between, like as a panelist or as a volunteer).

a couple of people from sak staff come to mind to me as superlative. first off the top of my head is steve lewno, who many at kc know as the very reliable very sweet person delivering sound equipment and other gear sak is loaning to kc, thereby saving huge amounts of time money and hassle for kc administration.

i've personally experienced it as easier and more rewarding and smoother in terms of communication to plan and administer programming within kumoricon than within sakuracon, but this likely is a function of both the size of the conventions and some underlying differences in philosophy, approach, and intended tone and audience between the cons, as well as a function of the varying personalities involved.

sakuracon relations has scored some major coups, such as premiering the next hellsing franchise at their con. that's the kind of industry item that draws huge crowds. if i were attending not as staff and able to catch something like that, i am certain i would have been impressed, even if, understandably, the lines and the room were uncomfortably overcrowded.

however, i have to agree about the expense and the discomfort of the downtime environment and crowds. people used to big cities should have no problem, but people who may find it more than they can or choose to handle might include people with limited budgets, people with limited mobility, people with anxiety disorders,....it's a more challenging environment to negotiate, and people just need to be prepared for that if they are to brave it. i can tell you that if i were the parent of a female minor, i would be reticent to have her walk late at night in cosplay back to a hotel in that neighborhood....(or any).

i would like to recommend that those seeking additional cons to attend also check out anime evolution. though its college campus is also a challenge for folks with mobility impairment (lots of steps; not all areas wheelchair accessible as far as I could see), in my 2 years staffing there i've found the staff, the facility (other than one campus AV tech leaving early last year), and the attendees pretty open and friendly. if you are near enough to canada or can otherwise afford it, it's a really fun event that is full of fan creation innovations, such as large-scale mural art, and of course the bishounen walk-off modeled on "Zoolander". and for those who might be staff, staff get in free and, if there is space, stay on campus at a townhouse for only $20 for all 4 nights **combined**, and in many cases also get free food. this makes it far cheaper to go work for anime evolution than for sakuracon, even though sakuracon is much closer (from an oregonian's perspective).

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 07:25:27 pm »
this makes it far cheaper to go work for anime evolution than for sakuracon, even though sakuracon is much closer (from an oregonian's perspective).

From what I know, I think you're totally right about that. The amount spent on downtown parking and lodging could easily fund a few hours worth of gas. And the driving time would be negated by the amount of time you have to spend in line (if not for reg, then for the programming events).

Anime Evolution would be my first choice for a convention to attend if I decided to stop attending Sakura Con BUT could still manage to afford two cons a year. The only downside is that being in Canada means that virtually none of my Oregonian friends would be there, and only a few of my Washington (and Idaho) friends.

On the plus side: The 404s. Gotta love those silly people.

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2007, 10:27:04 pm »
with anime evolution there is free parking at the SFU campus, though it is a little bit of a schlep (well kinda a big bit especially from lot b to where you can sleep) those who aren't staff can also get cheap housing by staying in the dorm ( i think i remember paying $50 for 4 nights? someone correct me if i'm wrong on that?)

all this is not to say don't go to sak. just if you are having financial considerations about what other cons to add to kumoricon, be realistic that a huge urban con might be more costly than you are imagining
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 06:16:29 pm »
Free parking? I'd walk a little for that.

all this is not to say don't go to sak. just if you are having financial considerations about what other cons to add to kumoricon, be realistic that a huge urban con might be more costly than you are imagining

Yeah, but I don't really feel I need to go to more than two cons a year at this point in my life. That may change, but for now it'll do.

Apollo Justice

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 02:03:10 am »
Yeah one thing that kind of annoys me is the lack of old school anime in the vendors room. Obviously it's a business so they gotta go with what sells, but I'd love to find some plushies and t-shirts for some of my older favorite animes. That said.. I already spend way too much money as it is.. XD

That makes me sad too... I'm an old school anime fan all the way.... I was surprised to find Lina Inverse plushies there this year, although they had no Gourry which I need for Kumoricon 2008.... T.T
I've never actually been to Sakura-con, too expensive, I spend literally all year saving up for Kumoricon. If I was to go to Sakura-con I'd have to miss Kumoricon which I don't wanna do. The bigger exhibitors booth does sound very tempting though. But I would probably spend more convention time in a line than in an actual event, the Kumoricon lines are long enough to me, I couldn't stomach Sakuracon lines.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:08:15 am by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012