Author Topic: Alternative to copics?  (Read 6791 times)

Offline 43

• Cabbit
    • Dee-dee-dee-deviantart!
Alternative to copics?
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:30:04 pm »
I saw a different type of markers being used in the artist alley, but I forgot to ask what they were. I'm hoping they're a bit cheaper than copics....

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
Re: Alternative to copics?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 02:42:14 am »
Some people use Prismacolor markers, but I'm not really sure they're that much cheaper than Copics.

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:59:12 am »
Prismas are about a dollar or two cheaper(per marker), depending on where you go. I may get some prismas to do some of the larger work so take some of the stress from my copics. The only reason I use copics, other the then quality, is that I love the brush action of the copic sketch. It's like I am using a watercolor brush. ^^

Offline 43

• Cabbit
    • Dee-dee-dee-deviantart!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:34:19 pm »
Yeah, I do have some prismacolors, and they certainly much cheaper, but I thought I saw something else...
Thank you though!

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:40:15 pm »
I use Trias, Copics, and Prisma. A lot of individual art stores offer student discounts and I use that to get discounts on my supplies when I can.
It's hard being pinq.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 11:02:43 pm »
 Theres soemthign else?? Good!
Copics are too expensive..and i have a problem supporting something that almost entirely advertises with half nekkid lolis. *Shivers*

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:15:19 pm »
I love about Copics that they are environmentally and economically sound for the long haul as they are refillable.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 08:29:30 am »
I love about Copics that they are environmentally and economically sound for the long haul as they are refillable.

actually, most professional markers have replaceable nibs, and refillable ink. So all markers are a good choice, it's just depending on the quality of the blend you want and how much bleed you want at that time.
It's hard being pinq.

Offline Omi

• Oni
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 09:00:40 pm »
There's also a brand called Neopiko and I've heard they're similar to Copics (one brush tip end, one flat end). I haven't actually used/seen them in action, though. I'm not too fond of Prismas because they lack the brush tip end which comes reeeaaaallly in handy with things like hair. If you do choose to go with Prisma markers, be sure to buy the clear blender marker. It really helps out when trying to get smoother coloring.

If you're worried about prices, you might want to check out Akadot Retail or Dick Blick Art Supplies. I'm sure there's a bunch of other places online, too.  I got a bunch of copics last year at Hobby Lobby (which is like a Michael's) when they were having a 1/2 off sale on all markers (so they were around $3 a marker instead of $6).

Offline PZB

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 06:38:03 am »
I've used a number of different markers, and really, between quality and ease of use, I've found that Copics are worth the extra couple dollars.  And the blend is much better than anything I've been able to achieve with Prismas or Trias (and yes, Trias are refillable as well as Copics, but I don't like the inks or the color choices in general).  I've seen a few other brands out there, but one of the things to keep in mind is accessibility (eg, do I have to have to order it online and wait a week or can I just run down to the store and pick up another?)

If you're in the Eugene/Springfield area, the UofO bookstore has them for $5/each, and 20% off if you buy more than 12 (which makes it more like $4 for each.)  If you're near a college campus at all, check with them.  They'll likely have them below list.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 12:21:40 am »
I use a combo of Prismas, Copics, and Trias. I like Prismas, but they don't have the brush nibs and they aren't refillable (at least as far as I'm aware). Copics are wonderful, but spendy. I like Tria as I think their quality is comprable to Copic and they are slightly cheaper. Also, at whatever store you shop at, ask if they offer student discounts. At the art store I shop at (Art Department in downtown Salem), they offer a %10 student discount when you show ID ^_^.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:25:10 am by AnimeMatrix »

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 11:42:24 pm »
Buying copics is great if you can get em on sale at a store, but if you are like me and don't get out as much but you do go to either Sakuracon or Kumoricon then they've been there in the past and chances are they will be there again and when you're there you can pick up the markers at a discounted price rather than what you would normally buy them for. I think con price is like 30% off or something like that which is still quite nice when you think about it. I love my markers I've done amazing things with just twelve markers, but I certainly think I will buy more in the future. They also work quite nicely for cosplay makeup if ya need it that bad because it doesn't smear much on the skin but can be taken off easily with hand sanitizer. <3 I hope you find some markers that work for you ^_^

Offline Lori

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 10:15:42 pm »
Copic also recently came out with the ciao marker set, which are generally the same as the sketch markers (brush nib and medium broad nib) but a few dollars cheaper because they cannot be used with the airbrush system. 3.95 per marker brings them in line with comparable brands, and you get the nummy ink.

Offline sarah-the-strange

• Cabbit
    • Love Me Dead Lolita
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »
anyone ever tried Neopiko markers? i hear those are good too~ and cheaper....
Adorable and Affordable Gothic & Lolita Accessories
wwww.lovemedeadloltia.com