Author Topic: Thanks from Gaming Staff  (Read 3959 times)

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
Thanks from Gaming Staff
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:34:34 pm »
We just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came and had some fun in Gaming this weekend. We are sorry on the late start times of some of the tournaments! I hope nobody had any major issues with the rules and the flow of the room. We would also like to note that we would very much like more staff for Gaming next year - a lot of us had to work many, many hours to keep things open and more staff would fix that. We are also looking for people interested in running a tournament. Post in this thread if you'd like info about being staff with us, or if you have a question, comment or concern about gaming 2007.

Thanks!

-Morgan
I can has cheezburger?

Offline kyletothejones

• Sailor Scout
Re: Thanks from Gaming Staff
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:46:29 pm »
I'd love to help out next year! I had an idea I thought would be really awesome for setting up casual gaming. Take some space and make a box of couches for hand held gaming or something.

Regardless of that though, let me know. I would gladly come help with the gaming area, maybe help run the Guilty Gear tourney if needed.

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:26:06 pm »
woot. we had some good turnouts on most all of the tournaments, everything was over 16 people, and after they started, everything ran smooth.

kyle - I've responded to like, every thread you posted on, sounds like you're off to the right start but need the right push to get on track.
come to the next general meeting we have and hopefully we can meet up and secure a staff early for next year.
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:06 pm »
No problem.  Always happy to come and have fun with other people as crazy and sleep-deprived as I am. ;D
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 10:59:58 pm »
yeah you guys rock!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline laharlsama

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:15:05 am »
Im down for it completely, count me in man. but i will also be running the ramen eating contest so plz  keep that in mind. we can talk at the meet.
when you're on the edge of life, what will you remember?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 05:55:49 pm »
I've got an idea that might help the tourneys run smoother.  Instead of using the big projector screen for games (which I've always found to be horrible for most games), we could use it to post what matches are going on in what tourneys.

For instance, if we were starting round 3 of a Joust tournament with two machines running matches one and two, the screen might display something like this:

JOUST
ROUND 3 - Match 1/Match 2
DancingTofu
(Charlie)
vs
Phatman
(Steven)
-----
Anyl
(Harry)
vs
ReTNTV
(Voldy)

And for cosmetic purposes, we could have a generic screenshot of the game on one side of the text, and some other random picture on the other.

We'd have to make it clearly visible from wherever the tourneys are though.  Otherwise, it would fail.

It would also be nice if we had tournament registration on a computer too.  What I'm think with that is that we could just have a computer set up with a big sign that says "Tourney Sign-up" and it would have a bunch of word documents on the desktop, labled by tournament, and people would simply open the documents for whatever tourneys their interested in, put their names on the list, hit "save", then go back to whatever they're doing.  That will eliminate the obstacles of horrendous handwriting and "HOLY NUTS WHERE'D THE PEN GO?!" in one swell foop, and make it easier to transfer the data to the other computer faster.

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:39:23 am »
Actually a plan that fell through this year was the secondary monitor at the gaming desk, which was meant to have updated tournament info. Next year we'll have the TOs check in with standings to update that on the monitor. We also intended to have a staffer set to take signups at all times, but we were shortstaffed so I got down to paper again, which I personally hate because some people just have chicken scratch handwriting, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I can has cheezburger?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 09:25:09 pm »
That fits in a lot with my thinking on the subject.  I can put some of my resources into that next year.