Author Topic: Art Meme - Original Characters  (Read 13567 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Art Meme - Original Characters
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:34:16 am »
OK, so even thought this art meme is meant to be done with original characters, I figure that the fine print justifies it in the fan creations forum. You can include fanart of characters if you don't have that many of your own. Here's how it goes.

Once you've chosen your characters and drawn them in, go to part 2.
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/OCMeme2.png
And draw all the different things your characters do.

I wanted to see others participate in this meme so badly that I actually went through the torture of drawing a bunch of my RPG characters and some others from the distant past. So if I can do it you real artists shouldn't have any trouble.
http://tomthefanboy.deviantart.com/art/OC-Character-Meme-Remix-90098960

Also, I resized the originals so it should be easier to print out if you need to. I was thinking of dropping off a copy of this at the Creation Station if people wanted to play with it there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:23:45 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Re: Arte Meme - Original Characters
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:27:34 am »
I've been slowly doing this.  It takes me much too long to draw XD
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:07:20 pm »
I am honestly stupefied at how far this has traveled xD
lol I dunno how far it would go in the creation station *amazingly enough never been in there*
I have no clue how long people normally stay in the creation station, and the meme is pretty long ?_?

lol could always make it part of some drawing marathon xD
*fff one who made it and still hasn't finished filling it out |D;*

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:56:24 pm »
Oooh, sounds fun. . I'll see if anyone here has a scanner I can use. .
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
Re: Art Meme - Original Characters
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:15:31 pm »
I've done this here: http://serikaarenai.deviantart.com/art/NOT-ANOTHER-MEME-LOL-90010918

But if you're thinking about having it in the Creation Station, I would suggest...

A) ASK THE ARTIST FIRST.  Art is immediately copyrighted as soon as it is created, and we don't want any trouble, right?
B) Consider making your own version that's exclusive the the con.  It also might be a bit more fun if you have convention-related blurbs (who do the cosplay?  how well do they do in the karaoke contest or something like that...) along with "regular" questions, plus there won't be an issue of having to pay a fee or slapping a copyright on the picture. 

Another thing to add on to B, some of the people going in might have done this already, but if you're like me, you might want to try it again... With different questions, of course.  I'd love to if I had different things to answer.  *really likes whoring OCs*
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 12:31:32 am »
Personally i LOVE the idea of Memes...I just never get to doing them! XD I think it would be a great idea to do a Meme for the CS though! Though i do agree that it might be better to create something original to work with rather than dealing with the possibility of copyright issues. With maybe draw the mascot in your style, best random cosplay you've seen, pocky club antics etc. (Kcon only and some gen. con things)

I can even talk to Kasa about it maybe becoming a contest.

If you're interested Tom we can brainstorm a little at the meeting on Sunday and then I can put one together just for the CS at Kcon '08.
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 10:29:47 pm »
I've done this here: http://serikaarenai.deviantart.com/art/NOT-ANOTHER-MEME-LOL-90010918

But if you're thinking about having it in the Creation Station, I would suggest...

A) ASK THE ARTIST FIRST.  Art is immediately copyrighted as soon as it is created, and we don't want any trouble, right?
B) Consider making your own version that's exclusive the the con.  It also might be a bit more fun if you have convention-related blurbs (who do the cosplay?  how well do they do in the karaoke contest or something like that...) along with "regular" questions, plus there won't be an issue of having to pay a fee or slapping a copyright on the picture. 

Another thing to add on to B, some of the people going in might have done this already, but if you're like me, you might want to try it again... With different questions, of course.  I'd love to if I had different things to answer.  *really likes whoring OCs*

A) lol they have permission xD if I didn't mention it before, they have permission as of now(though to be safe you might even want to ask the original creator of the text meme a link to her text meme is on the graphic meme, she was VERY friendly to me xD and very open to me making a graphic version of the meme.)

and lol there's a second one with the rest of the questions that's in the works xD

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:57:50 pm »
Congrats Misuteru (and the other original creator), I think this meme is awesome. :D  I didn't finish mine yet, but I figured out that you could get a mostly-coherent story from the entire thing, and I have it scripted but not drawn DX

Mostly that works because there was a lot of overlap in number pairs, like 2 and 10, and 6 and 1 or something like that.  So if you guys decide to use it or revise it, I'd recheck the numbers to see that they're spread as much as possible.  Some numbers also felt slighted to me, but that might be me not picking a number when given the choice of three.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:57:13 am »
Mostly that works because there was a lot of overlap in number pairs, like 2 and 10, and 6 and 1 or something like that.  So if you guys decide to use it or revise it, I'd recheck the numbers to see that they're spread as much as possible.  Some numbers also felt slighted to me, but that might be me not picking a number when given the choice of three.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I drew one character...once total?  Something like that.  I'd mix the numbers up a bit, maybe draw from a hat or a random number simulator.  ...God, I love those... But yeah, the three choice thing annoyed me a little bit because it would feel like none of them fit.  At least with the regular questions it was easier to visualize something crazy because I knew I *had* to.

If you need any help thinking of con-related questions that still fit the meme, I'd be more than happy to help. *hint hint* 8D
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Barako

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:06:11 am »

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:52:57 am »
I am STILL trying to finish this.  I think I take the drawings too seriously!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:36:23 pm »
Ooh, I finally finished this yesterday! :D

http://barako.deviantart.com/art/A-Misty-Night-OC-Meme-95303760

That's great! It seems that most of the time the character that gets attacked by everyone is usually pretty powerful.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:08:44 pm »
I'll try to post something soon.  Gah! 
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 12:30:07 pm »
Totally fun!
I'm open to anything being added to the CS at any time, whether as a contest or just something folks can hop by to see and do!

Could someone help me understand what it means to be a meme? *is kinda clueless sometimes*

I think this could best bridge into our Copic-Sponsored On-Site Mini-Manga Contest!

*edit*
*thread forwarded to the_creation_station@yahoogroups.com for confirmation*
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:33:13 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 05:06:04 pm »
A meme is kind of a misuse when it is applied to things like this, but I don't complain.

It refers to a joke or action that is repeated throughout the internet in a viral fashion. For instance, saying ORLY or posting the picture of the ORLY owl is a kind of Meme. Another kind of meme is puting a caption on a picture like the LOLCATS and their imitators, it becomes a meme when it is imitated and passed on.

This kind of meme has it's roots in what if memes like "Write what would happen if your favorite character in X met your favorite original character" and "Draw your favorite character in a bathing suit" types of memes. I first saw this sort of choose X numbers of characters and then answer the pre-generated questions in fanfic style, it moved to fanart and now Original Characters.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 10:07:06 pm »
A meme is kind of a misuse when it is applied to things like this, but I don't complain.

It refers to a joke or action that is repeated throughout the internet in a viral fashion. For instance, saying ORLY or posting the picture of the ORLY owl is a kind of Meme. Another kind of meme is puting a caption on a picture like the LOLCATS and their imitators, it becomes a meme when it is imitated and passed on.

This kind of meme has it's roots in what if memes like "Write what would happen if your favorite character in X met your favorite original character" and "Draw your favorite character in a bathing suit" types of memes. I first saw this sort of choose X numbers of characters and then answer the pre-generated questions in fanfic style, it moved to fanart and now Original Characters.

Awesome!
Seems a natural for the Creation Station, then!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).