Author Topic: An Apology  (Read 7681 times)

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
An Apology
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:52:24 am »
The below is a borrowed post from a previous yojimbo that covers my feelings on the subject.

Being staff, especially Yojimbo, is VERY difficult work. Yes, we have our communication problems, yes, we may have some stupid policies, and yes, some of us may not be nice. But really, some of us break our backs to keep things safe, orderly, and hopefully fun. This is especially true for Yojimbo. A lot of us work for pretty much the entire convention, often with few breaks and little (sometimes no) sleep at all. And all this is volunteer work. We volunteer our time for people, and I know that there are times when it may seem like we're only about rules and other things, but I'd just like to try to mention that we really do work hard. Sometimes I feel like it's a thankless job, honestly. I actually didn't do much at the convention at all because I was working quite frequently. Sometimes I'd get free time, then immediately get called up to do yet another shift with no relief for quite some time. This is something that I know most, if not all Yojimbo have to deal with. And it almost seems like some people have more to rant about than to rave about. I just hope we can do better for everyone next year, and I apologize for this year's problems.

Now that said, I know that I and my girlfriend (kylite and hawkeye) both received several complaints in regards to how we handled the attendees. I asked around and found that while I was not trying to be rude in any way and was actually trying to be kind, I was coming across as quite harsh and too direct spoken.  I just wanted to say I am sorry to anyone who's feelings I may have hurt.  As said above, the shifts are quite long, the sleep, almost non existent, and quite a few attendees do treat us rather rudely so we can sometimes end up a bit more bitter then we mean to. 

I plan to attend again next year as Yojimbo and I really hope that people wont choose to dislike me for the above mentioned issue.  Any who I just got home from the con and had to post this while it was fresh in my mind. thanks for reading.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
Re: An Apology
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:16:30 am »
Thanks to everyone who worked really hard!

The con was wonderful, I think it might have been the best so far!

I actually spoke with one of the managers at the Hilton, and they said they LOVED the convention!
When I asked if we had all gotten too rowdy and loud, they actualy said

"Actually, no. Most of the conventiones we've held here with adults are far more immature. We loved you guys!"

Also, when I was standing outside with my best friends, a man from the hotel came by and asked for our photos, and he said they were for the hotel! I think they might be making a display or something of the convetion. : )

What do you think, maybe they'll have us back next year? XD

I think where the complaints came from is that, sometimes when some of us were asked to move from where we were standing, the volunteer that specifically told us to move in an extremly harsh tone of voice.
I think honestly a few of the volunteers were getting a bit short with anyone who unfortunatly crossed their paths.

There was one occasion where there was a large group of people sitting in the corner of a hallway, and I was with a group of three other people. Someone in the corner called us over, and we couldn't hear them so we walked over to see what they were saying.
Within three seconds, an angry volunteer comes over taps me on the shoulder and says something. I can't hear her, so I turn around and crease my eyebrows and say "What?"
And then she suddenly goes, in an extremly irritated tone of voice
"JUST MOVE. YOU'RE BLOCKING THE HALL." and rolls her eyes.

I didn't even know who she was and she actually made me sad for a few minutes because she yelled at me, and I had only stopped walking for under five seconds.

And simlar occasions happened like that about five times, to me, at least.

I can understand she was probably just a bit frazzled and irritated from someone who may have been rude to HER several momeents before, but that doesn't mean she has to take her anger out on OTHER people who were simply bystanders.

Honestly to me it seemed like a few women who were volunteers were vaugely power hungry, at least the tones of their voices when they told people to move were very sarcastic and high and mighty.

But that's just my opinion, maybe I somehow conincidentally got yelled at about half a dozen times for no reason.
Maybe I just got unlucky.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:23:32 am »
Thanks to everyone who worked really hard!

Honestly to me it seemed like a few women who were volunteers were vaugely power hungry, at least the tones of their voices when they told people to move were very sarcastic and high and mighty.

I'm very sorry if the volunteers were rude to you. Some of them randonly help at con and dont have any training to deal with such a big group, are you sure they were volunteers and not staff? because alot of volunteers moved to staff and were really young looking. We really didnt have a lot of volunteers it seemed, but those we had were die-hards.

on the volunteers, with the exeption of the cat maids and a group that picked up trash in the park once, were frankly treated like crap by a lot of people. we still paid full admission to work our butts off, we had no authority and we had to yell to be heard over all the noise. I know how the volunteers can get in a bad mood after having to go through the lines twice to move people because we were told be the hotel that it was a fire hazard and the atendees arnt listening because 1, they exempt for whatever reason, 2 you're just a volunteer who has no authority, but in most cases we were told to do so by the staff we were helping only to get chewed out by other staff and yojimbo who didn't recognize the volunteers. we were just doing what we were told to do!
and the some other cases we didnt have ANY staff to help us in judgement calls or in enforcing rules

people love to shoot the messanger and volunteers were everyones bitch this year

we were putting in 8-12 hours a day during con, not to mention the 30-40 hours of volunteer work before con from all the things we do year round like stuffing envelopes with badges and assembling the swag bags and manning the k-con booth at other events, and street team stuff and going to shops to ask for donations for charity auction

and at closing ceremonies, a round of applause for the cat maids who did a great job with line control, and all volunteers who helped with the lines, then later a special round of applause and prizes for the group of people who helped pick up the park (some of whom were staff), and ZILCH recognition to those volunteers who helped out all year round. There were some people who wanted to sing me happy birthday at the staff dinner because it was my birthday, but if I don't get recognized for all the volunteer work I don't want to get recognized just because it's my birthday. This isn't to say the cat maids and everyone didn't deserve the recognition they got, because they certainly did, but it would be nice for everyone who helped to see some appreciation. It really hurt getting snubbed. Even if it wasn't intentional, it still happened.

and it's not necesarily the yojimbo's fault that they didn't know who we all were but some of them seemed to be ruder or meaner than they needed to be because they thought I was just an attendee who was trying to sneak into a staff only area, instead of actually having a job to do in the room. It was great when a yojimbo or staff DID know who I was and just waved me in, I had no problem with them, but it was a real pain when I wasn't recognized and had to run and get someone who knew me to okay my presence, which takes THEM away from THEIR job, causing more problems.

(ps kylite glad you made it home safely)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:31:27 am by superjaz3p »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:10 am »
When talking to staff in con ops that seemed to be the mantra: we get no sleep. I certainly appreciate all the hard work that staff puts in. After all, without them there is no convention!

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:50:08 am »
I want to add my two cents in about how AWESOME, staff, volunteers, yojimbos alike were this year.

There were a few grouchy people, but I let it slide because I was tired and hot too. I know how it goes running on little sleep and too many people. It will make anyone grouchy.

Again, thank you guys for everything and all the sh** that you take and all the time you give.  ;D

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:17:06 am »

I plan to attend again next year as Yojimbo and I really hope that people wont choose to dislike me for the above mentioned issue.  Any who I just got home from the con and had to post this while it was fresh in my mind. thanks for reading.

I can't say that you ever got short with me or angry.  I thought you were one of the more cool and collected of the bunch

The only problem I had was when I was talking to my coworker (who is married to one of the band members and had a different color badge because of that) and a yojimbo came, interrupted us mid-conversation (I didn't think we were blocking anything) and said that he could stay but had to leave and get in line.  A line which lead right back into the room I already was in. 

That being said, I saw quite a bunch of people stand at one end of a wall and point their camera at someone at the other side, effectively blocking halls for photos.  I'm glad I wasn't the person that had to tell them to be more thoughtful about people around them.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Daidouji

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:03 pm »
People don't ever thank you guys? Oh noes! Thank you very much for all your hard work and sleepless days! =D (that sort of sounded sarcastic but I swear it wasn't ^-^)
I did put down quite a few rants myself, but it's just because there were SO many things to rave about and I didn't want tot type it all out, sorry.
Kumoricon 07- Rena *Higurashi no Naku Koro ni*
Sakuracon 07-Kaoru *Ouran High School Host Club*
Kumoricon 08-Sakura *Cardcaptor Sakura*
Sakuracon 08- Haruhi Suzumiya

Offline Wanganator

• Cabbit
    • Deviantart User name: AnimeDaisuki
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:42:56 pm »
I personally didn't have problems with the staff. I saw that some of them have that look in their face that they were overworked. so if there were any problems that I had to deal with were all reasonable. I've done all nighters in the past and still not looking foreward to them in the year to come, so I totally understand the frustrations. I personally couldn't be one of those volunteers that work so hard to get this going to the end. Takes high constitution. ;)
Solo party deshou? deshou?

Offline emmyriceball

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:48:26 pm »
I got recruited out of a Glomp Circle to help and although I only worked for about two hours or so, I was really tired after it all. It's amazing that the staff was able to work the entire time. Good job, you guys! Thanks for making the convention such a fun place.

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 12:50:31 pm »
This year I was really happy with the Yojimbo. I wasn't being yelled at for no reason, I wasn't being hassled for reasons unknown and overly just politeness. I felt sorry for most of the Yojimbo as they were stuck in odd places guarding elevators and other random spots that normal con goers were not supposed to be. I really appreciate all your work and all you friendly Yojimbo who let me ride up from the artist alley to the bathroom and back.
It's hard being pinq.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:35:46 pm »
This isn't in direct response to this topic, but it's not enough for its own topic, so I wanted to make my own small apology:

I worked an hour or two at the info desk on Sunday. Though I was staff, it was unplanned; I just showed up and started answering whatever questions to which I knew the answers. However, when someone once asked me where the cosplay line was, I accidentally referred them to the mask-making line. I hope they were alerted to the mistake right away, but if not, my apologies; I hope you didn't miss any events on account of me.

Other than that, info desk was a rewarding job, despite requiring us to talk almost non-stop. :)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:05:56 pm »
yeah i have like no voice today, but i wouldn't trade a lack a sore throat for the chance to cheer up a little girl who had been in the hospital most of the summer, she really like my impersonation of DBZ
ps thanks to kendo fiance, who filled in for me when i got pulled away yay chris rocks!

Offline Crystal

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 03:42:17 pm »
I want to thank the staff and the volunteers for all the hard work they did to make the Con awesome. I have a bunch of friends who were either staff or volunteers and none of them had any time to chill out and have fun, or in some cases, sleep!

I think a lot of people forget that the staff & volunteers are fans too. They are doing all these fabulous things because they love it too. It's not right if they don't get their fair share of fun and free glomps and espcially apprication.

Jaz, if I could have found you, I would have told you: Happy Birthday and You are one of the most amazing people I know. You are adorable as Sumomo. And after seeing you work the crowd this weekend, I know there is nothing you can't do when you put your mind to it.

I also want to give the "7 people to an elevator" Yojimbo special props. That guy was stuck at that post...it seemed like all weekend. Even the hotel staff weren't listening to him. And he had to deal with some very cranky people.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 03:56:54 pm »
I also want to give the "7 people to an elevator" Yojimbo special props. That guy was stuck at that post...it seemed like all weekend. Even the hotel staff weren't listening to him. And he had to deal with some very cranky people.
(thanks crytal)
they did agreat job especuly the one dressed as mustange he looked so tired

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 03:58:57 pm »
Jaz, good job.  ;D Not everyone would spend their birthday volunteering all day at a con. Props! And thanks for the candy, you're such a sweetheart.  :-*

Offline Nayanezgani

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 04:41:19 pm »
Na I got no real complaints. I felt things were a little disorderly. At the same time though I know that it was not planed to have as many people come this year as had shown up. All in all though the staff that I met and actually talked to were really nice, never rude, and tried to make sure that all had a fun time, and I was there all 3 days and around almost all day. Thank you all very much for your hard work I look forward to seeing next years con too.
They say life is an adventure. To each their own. I say what are you waiting for time and the tides wait for no man.
Live it up, you only get one shot at this adventure can you afford to sit here and wait.

Offline Kaiware

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 10:04:11 pm »
Hmm.  Cosplaying as Lust and kissing up to (literally) Certain Religious Figures.

Yup.
Kumoricon '06: Akio (Utena)
Kumoricon '07: Lust (FMA)
Kumoricon '08:Yuuko (XXXholic) & Eclair (Kiddy Grade)
Kumoricon '09: Nadie (El Cazador de la Bruja)
Kumoricon '10: ??

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 08:59:00 am »
thank you all for your kind words.  I have decided I will definitely be back this next year and running the recruitment for the Yojimbo again.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Nayanezgani

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 09:07:39 am »
/cheer
/cheer
/cheer

Yea ill be seeing you at the con then
They say life is an adventure. To each their own. I say what are you waiting for time and the tides wait for no man.
Live it up, you only get one shot at this adventure can you afford to sit here and wait.

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 02:53:31 pm »
yay for the volunteers!  ;D ;D ;D :D

yeah the staff were pretty nice this year :3 and there really weren't too many issues with people blocking the hallways either ^.^

except when that guy with the friggin ENORMOUS wings was standing there looking all cool haha but that's understandable.

rabid fangirls are a force to reckon with O_O

love! <3
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 03:01:56 pm »
yeah there was this one guy with all these bars and things attached to his cosplay and getting past him almost maimd me twice,.... then brownie saw him.....tee hee

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2007, 07:32:10 pm »
Hmm.  Cosplaying as Lust and kissing up to (literally) Certain Religious Figures.

Yup.

Hmmm... "Real Person Cosplay" is somewhat disturbing.

My favorite would be Nevada-tan.

A cosplayer dressed as an 11-year old convicted murderer... So Wrong.

Apollo Justice

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 08:06:20 pm »
yay for the volunteers!  ;D ;D ;D :D

yeah the staff were pretty nice this year :3 and there really weren't too many issues with people blocking the hallways either ^.^

except when that guy with the friggin ENORMOUS wings was standing there looking all cool haha but that's understandable.

rabid fangirls are a force to reckon with O_O

love! <3

Ya know, its funny. I almost NEVER have any problems with staff and usually I hear a lot of complaints form evryone else . This year I seem to be the only one who had a handful of issues.

maybe I simply kept running into the same few 'bad seeds'?

I am impressed with they way they were taken care of tho; as opposed to the usual
" staff is perfect, you must have deserved it" Response people get from most conventions.

That itself shows how awesoem the staff as a whole is.

Offline Naleh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 11:47:14 pm »
Yea I loved the staff and volunteers this year, they were awesome. I only have one complaint of getting a mixed message.
I was playing patty cake hanging out in the elivator late at night with an Akatsuki cosplayer, and we asked a staff member if it was okay. They said yes, as long as we got out if the elavator got crowded (you know like if 7 people wanted to board the elavator) and we agreed to his condition.
They got off and then just a stop later another staff member gets on...or maybe they were a volunteer (couldn't tell >.>) we explained it to them in a cheerful tone and they told us it wasn't alright and to get off(in a very grumpy voice) we did so. My patty cake new pal complained and found out the first staff member was right, and we could have stayed on.
It was pretty late, and the second night, so I'm guessing this was probably a lack of sleep issue... u.u0 ah well... kudos to the staff for doing the work I wouldn't want to do! They were very busy that night... a poor staff member had to go break up a fight earlier, I think he was the one that said it was okay... >.>
K-con 08-
ANBU! (Rawr!)
Tobi :D

Remember kids! An apple a day, keeps the Shinigami sane!

Also please don't hate the plantman....Zetsu's a people person. (nomnomnom XD)

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 06:27:44 am »
Something I've learned this year...  If you ask nicely and politely, no one actually takes you seriously. 

In my running back and forth between floors doing my impression of headless chickens, I found myself in endless mobs going no where.  Though the hallways were wide, we still found ways to clog them, especially if picture taking was involved.

I tried on countless occasions to request nicely and sweetly in my way for people to not block the hallways and to let people through to only be met with attitude.

Point is, Kylite...  You're Yojimbo.  People have to make allowances for you to be authoritative because... um...  you have to tell them what to do, cause it's what you do.  If people don't like a Yojimbo asking them to move aside because they're causing a fire hazard and blocking an entire hallway, then maybe they need a smackdown. 

Granted there are nice ways of saying things, and nicer tones of voices that can be used, but people don't respond to that.

People have the same complaint every year.  And they're going to have that same complaint every year.

I'd much rather have you do what you do how you do it than let the 3000 attendees walk all over you.

You do a good job.  And for what it's worth, I appreciate you. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 06:29:58 am by valliegirl »
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Nayanezgani

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 11:09:23 am »
Personally I will respond quicker and more propperly to some one  that asks nicely, then someone that is harsh. I also agree that there are occasions that need a sturn approach. I am a member of managment for  a game store and yes there are some customers that I have to be almost to te point of rude to get them to leave the store, however I find that for the most part if I explain to them why we are telling them no, or why they have to do something and the possible consequiences ( even better if there is one that affects them) then they are more likely to listen to you. Also alot of it is how you say it. Stand up straight look them in the eyes and sound confident, that is a big one, if there is any sign of weekness people will try and exploit that. Again that is just what I have found from my own experiences. What ever workds and to each their own.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 01:16:10 pm »
Staff, Yojimbo, Volunteers! You are my gods!!!! I mean that in all seriousness, you people make the Con, which I consider a miracle of joy for me and my friends, a better safer place! You shall always have my respect for that and one day I hope to do more to help!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »
Point is, Kylite...  You're Yojimbo.  People have to make allowances for you to be authoritative because... um...  you have to tell them what to do, cause it's what you do.  If people don't like a Yojimbo asking them to move aside because they're causing a fire hazard and blocking an entire hallway, then maybe they need a smackdown. 

Granted there are nice ways of saying things, and nicer tones of voices that can be used, but people don't respond to that.

I understand the logic behind that, but unless it's something that needs immediate compliance, try to ask once nicely before you lay the smack down. Once or twice at Sakura Con (more than two years ago), staff were asking me and my friends to do something that we were happy to do, but the first time they told us anything, they already sounded angry.

One reason it seems like crowds don't listen sometimes is because they are ever-shifting and changing. Even though you think of it as all the same crowd, people come and go, and move in and out of earshot. So don't assume they've ALL heard it before.

I've never had a problem with Kumori Con yojimbo, but my experience doesn't count because I'm on staff. :)

Hmm... this brings to mind a question about lines. I think I'll start a new topic.

Apollo Justice

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 09:42:13 pm »
Well I would have to say as a Yojimbo thats one of the things you always have to keep in mind its not the same person doing it over and over.  I just remember having hallway duty and I would clear a path only to turn around a few minutes later and it would be packed again.  Its just one of those things that you just have to keep in mind.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 10:30:12 pm »
i WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE WHO THINKS i MAY HAVE BEEN RUDE TO THEM, i TRY MY BEST NOT TO.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Nayanezgani

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 10:42:33 pm »
The people that I saw clearing the hall werent harsh or anything, or rude. I found them to be nice in asking the halls be cleared. So if you were doing that I think you did a good job, and were nice about it. Maybe I just missed the few occasions where you got mad or somethig. O well I got nothing against ya.

Offline Micardyn

• Cabbit
    • Life [Condensed]
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 03:05:09 pm »
I was a staffer this year and I must admit I was short on temper.  I do apologize, but I agree with Vallie.  I tried being polite and cheerful for Friday pre-reg, Saturday pre-reg and when I was sent to work at the info desk, worked a long shift at the cat ears station in the dealer's room, and helped with the make your own mask workshop revive itself without riot. 
People didn't seem to listen even when they realized I was staff because I am female.  If that makes me less imposing, I might have to start taking a leaf out of Brownie's book.  Truthfully, I'm nice, but when people start to think they can walk all over me, like I'm there to make them happy so they can do whatever pleases their fancy... I get a bit perturbed.  I resorted to raising my voice to get their attention, yes it was probably rude, but it was needed for those people.  I got several,  'Who cares' and 'No one will notice' when I was only trying to inform them of our policies, the hotel's policies, etc.
'Never let fear stop you from doing the little things in life...'

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 08:44:19 pm »
I was a staffer this year and I must admit I was short on temper.  I do apologize, but I agree with Vallie.  I tried being polite and cheerful for Friday pre-reg, Saturday pre-reg and when I was sent to work at the info desk, worked a long shift at the cat ears station in the dealer's room, and helped with the make your own mask workshop revive itself without riot. 
People didn't seem to listen even when they realized I was staff because I am female.  If that makes me less imposing, I might have to start taking a leaf out of Brownie's book.  Truthfully, I'm nice, but when people start to think they can walk all over me, like I'm there to make them happy so they can do whatever pleases their fancy... I get a bit perturbed.  I resorted to raising my voice to get their attention, yes it was probably rude, but it was needed for those people.  I got several,  'Who cares' and 'No one will notice' when I was only trying to inform them of our policies, the hotel's policies, etc.

I know what you mean.  I told some people trying to do cosplay photos In The Middle of the prereg area to leave 5 times in a nice way.  They ignored me.  I did wind up having to raise my voice.  I guess I am not loud enough without doing that. 

It's hard to speak loudly and not sound like you are yelling sometimes.  Well, hopefully another year of voice lessons will help me project my voice better :) 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 08:48:52 pm »
It's hard to speak loudly and not sound like you are yelling sometimes.  Well, hopefully another year of voice lessons will help me project my voice better :) 

i was lucky iwas in some plays where we had to speak really loud at each pratice the teach was like  "louder! slower! angeryer!!!! louder!!!"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 06:45:58 pm by superjaz »

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 11:30:00 am »
The yojimbo liked me at the con, so hah!

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2007, 11:56:10 pm »
It can be a real pain to get people to move, especially when those same people are tired and, often times, hungry due to the usual mix of too much con and not enough caffeine  ;D. I found that addressing people in a positive tone and saying "please" and/or "thank you" usually helps a lot to prevent disgruntledness, though.

Nonetheless, I'm sure I had my grumpy moments, so I apologize to anyone who I may have inadvertently snapped at or been otherwise discourteous to.

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2007, 12:33:01 am »
I apologize to anyone who I may annoyed or upset if I came across as harsh.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline Nami-Swan

• Cabbit
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 01:04:54 am »
The same goes for myself. I tried several times with asking nicely for people to clear a path in halls and the pre reg area. When no one listened to me after the seventh time, I resorted to my military childhood background and got a little authoritative and a little mean.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but if people had just listened the first time...I wouldn't have been so mean. Let this be a heads up to all attendee's. Please just listen to the staff, volunteers, and the Yojimbo. It makes life easier for us all.

Offline Malachi_Lestat

• Cabbit
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mrsheeroyuy
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 01:48:40 am »
I was also staff this year. I didn't run into many problems because I was at the desks for pretty much the whole weekend.

I did have one issue when Brownie asked Nami-Swan and I to start clearing Minors out of the dance.
I politely told a girl over the music that she needed to leave, that it was almost midnight and she said rudely "who made you boss?" and I told her, as nicely as I could "this badge right here that says staff. now, if you'd PLEASE leave the convention area."

*shrugs* I tried not to be rude, the clogging the hallways thing actually got me once because I was standing there for like.... a few minutes in a throng of cosplayers saying "please don't block the hallway" loudly and nobody moved, there was a picture monger up at the hallway and I ended up having to shout "MOVE!" People did it, quietly and without question. They glared but it got the guy shooting every frame on his disposable camera to take it somewhere else

I am not a rude person, I will attest to that. But when you push my buttons... it gets ugly. Like with most sleep deprived, angry teenage girls...

I'm sorry too. But, its definitely a fire hazard to block the halls. Please, when someone asks you not to clog the halls. just move?

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 02:05:43 am »
I hate to say it like this.  However I can only think of one effective way to combat this.  It would require at least pairs of two, so that it wouldn't be just one staff's word against the crowd's, however here's how it would probably work out.  Ask them to move nicely, reminding them that failure to do so will result in a taken badge.  A louder warning stating that this is the final warning, Anyone still blocking this hallway within 60 seconds will have their badge pulled.  Then a stopwatch and pulls.

Why such a painful procedure?  Two eyewitnesses.  Badge pulling and calling in more people to escourt (Yojimbo or building security) are really the only options before things get even more ugly.

Such a procedure should also be noted in the pocket guide, full guide, and full online rules listing
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 11:56:43 am »
I was also staff this year. I didn't run into many problems because I was at the desks for pretty much the whole weekend.

I did have one issue when Brownie asked Nami-Swan and I to start clearing Minors out of the dance.
I politely told a girl over the music that she needed to leave, that it was almost midnight and she said rudely "who made you boss?" and I told her, as nicely as I could "this badge right here that says staff. now, if you'd PLEASE leave the convention area."

*shrugs* I tried not to be rude, the clogging the hallways thing actually got me once because I was standing there for like.... a few minutes in a throng of cosplayers saying "please don't block the hallway" loudly and nobody moved, there was a picture monger up at the hallway and I ended up having to shout "MOVE!" People did it, quietly and without question. They glared but it got the guy shooting every frame on his disposable camera to take it somewhere else

I am not a rude person, I will attest to that. But when you push my buttons... it gets ugly. Like with most sleep deprived, angry teenage girls...

I'm sorry too. But, its definitely a fire hazard to block the halls. Please, when someone asks you not to clog the halls. just move?
Yeah, unfortunately that always seems to be a problem, especially with the dance in general. I know I encountered a few rude people when I told them they couldn't get into the dance after midnight. As for the line thing...we did seem to have a lot more cloggage this year than I remember from last year even with the wider hallways. I was having a hard time trying to get people in the main events lines (the ones that were inside) to stay close to the wall and not take up the whole hallway.

As for the roamers, we're actually supposed to have roamers in pairs...but as is almost always the problem, the yojimbo had to make due with what we had so we only had 1 person roaming the inside most of the time.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline shadow_shrine

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 05:00:46 pm »
the only thing i complained about was being scolded for sleeping in the lobby ^^; but not to anyone directly >.>;
a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.