Author Topic: Rant & Rave (for those who missed it)  (Read 23756 times)

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
Re: Rant & Rave (for those who missed it)
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2007, 02:42:37 pm »
Very well put Reave.  I, speaking as an individual and not as an associate of the convention, could not have worded it better myself.  Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:03:20 pm by rictheron »
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »
yes very nicely put!
while ranting dosen't seem to do much besides let off steam it does lead up to improvments and learning from our mistakes.

looking back tho i really didn't take out my stress on anyone, even the guy who wouldnt let me enter the 99 cent costume contest cuz i had a costume. 
Its really hard not to some times ,
by the end at the staff party big guy (aka Bo) came by and i gave him some of my birthday brownie and he was like "aww your so nice,  giving candy to every one and now some of your brownie"
i was like "yeah yeah dont spread it around"
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2007, 03:35:40 pm »

My pet peeve every year is to come onto these forums and find people telling us that we were not professional enough, that since we chose to become staff we have no one to blame for our exhaustion but ourselves and we have no right to be tired, snarky, or confused sometimes. There are lots of people in the world who CHOOSE to do tiring and nasty work: police, soldiers, firefighters, emergency room doctors...fortunately as staffers we never have anyone's life in our hands and we (rarely) face real physical danger, but would you walk up to a firefighter and tell him or her to buck up and be polite, since they after all CHOSE to be a firefighter and it's their own fault that they are dirty, burned, and tired? I think not. Just because you volunteer for a job doesn't mean that you lose any right to be tired and stressed in the line of duty. Overt rudeness is never excusable, but if our people get a little frayed around the edges a day or two in, that's the price we all pay for a volunteer force. We could have a professional security team, and charge well over a hundred bucks a ticket. I don't think any of us want that, so please cut us some slack. Tired people make mistakes, we don't do it to be spiteful.

Thats cool and all. I appreciate the hard work. I really do. It must be exauhsting, and you miss out on a lot of the con. Thats one hell of a sacrifice.

I ran into quite a few helpful staff and I cant thank them enough.

However there are a few who make me wonder if they truly want to help, or just want  power or maybe just have martyr issues ( hey, a lot of people do)

With all do respect; everyone at a con is tired.

I believe in the idea that 'with power comes responsibilty' and all that.

People who are in charge need to set and example. If the staffers/voulanteers dont have to be polite, why should anyone else?

I understand the exauhstion and stress and a slip up or two is understandable. But to cosnstantly take it out on attendees and say that were unnapreciative and all is a little much.

But then Im mainly reffering to SC people.

I remember a thread once asking about 'when and if SC would expand' and the mods/staff  went ballistic and yelled at us inisisting that we werent considering that they would have to 'take extra days off work" uum hello, EVERYONE who works will have to miss extra days.

Its also difficult to be greatful to someone who keeps yelling at/trying to guilt trip you. treating you like you some 'dumb b**ch' cuz you asked them for help.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:42:13 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline RobinSena

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2007, 08:51:37 pm »
I have to say that as the first real con I've gone to, it was a ton of fun and overall very well done.   ;D

I agree with the earlier rants about the lines-something as simple as a sign taped to the wall with an arrow pointing the direction the line forms saying: "Line Starts Here" would have been very useful. 

A very big suggestion for the ballroom lesson: start off the lesson by asking who already has experience with the dance being taught, Myself and my boyfriend were there with our friend we dragged along to teach him how to dance but both of us already knew the basics.  Being able to dance with someone who knows what they're doing can make a huge difference vs. two complete 'newbies' to a dance.  Also the songs that were in the lesson were not beginners songs...half of them were a Viennese Waltz which is very very hard to regular waltz to lol unless you're very good and speedy  (song list for the actual dance as well...but that's been said - and I'd be happy to create a playlist for the lesson or the dance just let me know)

And a response about the people on the stairs, yes the staff reply or response and asking for you to move may not have been the nicest one, but everytime I took the stairs up or down and had to dodge the people sitting there (half the time there was only room for one person to go down or up at a time) it was extreemly annoying especially since when I'm going to climb stairs in 3inch heels I'd really really like to be able to use the hand rail so I don't create a string of dominos as I fall down the stairs onto people.  Sitting in the middle of the floor would have been easier to get around than on the stairs...especially when your costume has a good radius that hits the people sitting on the stairs since there's hardly any room (and I hate it when I whack people with my outfit). ^_^
"Well, it's going to look pretty good then, isn't it?  The One Horseman and the Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse." Terry Pratchett

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2007, 10:59:26 pm »
I agree with the earlier rants about the lines-something as simple as a sign taped to the wall with an arrow pointing the direction the line forms saying: "Line Starts Here" would have been very useful. 

yeah i noticed this the first day when i saw a ot of people milling around in random spots waiting for openng cermonies  because there was no spot for the line to start, so i grabed a sign that said "please form a line" gave it to my younger brother knighted him cat maid and we went through the lobbys saying "opening ceromines please form a line for opening ceromines this way follow the guy with the sign this way single file line"
fastest way to make a line apear

whats this about not being able to blame the bad things on stuff?!? i hereby blame all the little problems that popped up during con from lack of sleep to rude peeps entirely on a bad piece of GUM i had on the first day of con, it was too hard and made me bite my tongue, thus causeing all the problems of the convention including the unplanned scedual changes and the blisters on kendo boyfriends feet!

curse you dubble bubble curse you!!!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Nami-Swan

• Cabbit
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2007, 11:11:18 pm »
First off I would like to apologize to anyone that I offended. I was a little rude on the second and third day. Anyways back on topic:

Rave- I throughly enjoyed the staff badges and having different lanyards than the regular attendees. For me it made it a lot easier to pick out my fellow staff members. I also enjoyed the new badges, once we got the computers to work that is. It made pre-reg go faster, which meant I had more time to take pictures and get some rest. I enjoyed the dealer's room, because it was so spacious, it made it easy to get around.

Rant- The dealer's was really muggy on the first day. But that's something that not controlled by us...so oh well. I know this was addressed earlier, but attendee's not wearing their badges where they should have them. I mean, I found a few that didn't even have them on at all! I'm really OCD about that and I apologize if I gave anyone a real hard time about it.

Other than that, I hope everyone had a good Con and I can't wait to see everyone next year!

Offline snakeling

• Sailor Scout
    • http://cmdproduction.com
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2007, 08:02:32 am »

Height of the stage in main events. We did not find out that the stage was so short until very late in the game, too late for the budget to rent one from an outside source. We are aware of this issue and will try and bring it back up to the usual 4 ft tall stage next year. For those of you who helped Friday morning, you'll know how much worse it could have been.

4' tall stage usual?  I don't think we've ever had one that tall.  I think 30" is the highest we've ever had.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2007, 03:10:59 pm »
4' tall stage usual?  I don't think we've ever had one that tall.  I think 30" is the highest we've ever had.

Ha! This is what I get for listening to somebody else!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010