Author Topic: FANFIC CONTEST DEADLINES EXTENDED! :)  (Read 20367 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
FANFIC CONTEST DEADLINES EXTENDED! :)
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:04:28 pm »
Yes indeed, you are still more than welcome to turn in fanfics, novella, manga, and webcomic links or printouts to your hearts' content!

Novella deadline extended to: Monday, August 21st.

Deadline for other works extended to: Monday, August 28th.

Feel free to submit any of the following ways:

Email: fanfic@kumoricon.org and/or rem_saverem_was_right@yahoo.com

Snail mail (hard copy and/or disc): Ellen Klowden, c/o P. O. Box 5098, Eugene, OR 97405

In person: At General Meeting, Sun., Aug. 27 at con hotel (or in Eugene)

PM

ym

Hope to hear from as many of you as possible, as soon as possible! :)

And don't forget:

Works-in-progress are accepted; your fic does not need to be "finished" to be submitted.

And works submitted subsequent to deadline will still be accepted, to be read and/or performed (by you or anyone you select, and we provide pinch-hitters), at Fanfiction Bedtime Stories.

Be in touch, please! The more the merrier :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:07:32 pm by JeffT »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 10:01:19 am »
Okay, I'm new to the con-contest thing.  What is the difference between "Novella" and "Everything else"?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:25:10 am »
A novella is a longer work, typically comprised of multiple chapters and over, say, 25 pages long
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 11:47:27 am »
OIC.  That's probably the one I'll do, when I get started, that is.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:05:50 pm »
Looking forward to it :)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:06:40 pm »
The ones that are in progress, is there a minimum length to how much has to be done.

The only one I would be okay with entering (cause its my most recent and already spell checked and everything) is only two chapters so far.
And I if I did enter it this year, could I enter it next year with more of it done?

Uh... Do people who enter have to be present for a fanfiction event or something? Or Do I just enter it and thats it.
Can we enter more the one story?  Is cursing allowed... *think back to one story* Eh, lol.  8)

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:22:07 pm »
Quote from: "kimiski"
The ones that are in progress, is there a minimum length to how much has to be done.

The only one I would be okay with entering (cause its my most recent and already spell checked and everything) is only two chapters so far.
And I if I did enter it this year, could I enter it next year with more of it done?

Uh... Do people who enter have to be present for a fanfiction event or something?

(1)  There is no minimum length for any entry, including for those that are works-in-progress.

(2) There is no minimum percentage done that must be attained before submitting a work-in-progress.

(3) My strongest encouragement--for those considering entering works-in-progress especially, but for anyone--is to find a way to enter in the Best Beta category, in addition to any other categories you fancy.

To enter Best Beta:
Find someone to serve as a "second set of eyes", to proofread, edit, and give other kinds of feedback for your fic--particularly around topics such as character continuity, plot development, dialogue, presentation...
Have your Beta provide you with written feedback.  Then edit your fic, at least a little, taking into consideration the feedback from your Beta.

Submit, as a package, your rough draft, the written feedback from your Beta, your re-done version of your fic, and a comment (or several) on how working with your Beta helped you/helped your fic.

Both author and Beta get a prize for the fic selected in this category!

(4) Submit whatever you feel comfortable to submit; but please note, fics do not have to be recent, nor even spell-checked, to be entered.

(5) I can not comment on future Kumoricon fanfic contests at this time, because it will be up to the person elected as Programming Manager for the convention to appoint a Fanfiction Manager. While, certainly, I will be hoping and requesting to be granted that position again, I can not make an assumption about it. Also, it is possible that either I or my PM might delegate running the contest to another, even if I continue as founder and coordinator of the Creation Station/Fanfic Manager.

However, if I were to guess: I would guess that fics that WIN in one year might not be eligible to WIN in another year, of the same contest, at the same con.......if they are considered the same fic. Is it possible that someone could so substantially rewrite (or finish) a fic that it could be considered a whole new fic when resubmitted? Yes. I would also guess that fics that are submitted one year, but do not win, would be accepted the next year again (this has happened already).

Moreover, there are, at least in the present lineup, contests within Kumoricon in which the *audience*, rather than the Fanfic Manager, judges fics. In particular, at Fanfic Bedtime Stories, various fics have been entered more than once--performed with slightly different nuances each time. (At FFBS, fics are either read aloud or cosplayed.)

(5) There is no requirement to attend any specific portion of KC's fanfic programming, to win the fanfic contest.  However, only those attending the con are eligible to win.

Thanks! Looking forward to your entry! (or entries!)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 05:54:54 pm »
Thanks Alot!!
So all those categories listed I put which ones apply to my stroy?
WOOT!!
I decided which one Im gonna do!! *dances* Im excited now.

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 06:36:33 pm »
Oops, appartently this is the more popular one to post in (I posted in the same thread in Contests)

Anyway, I'm still trying to finish my manga for this.  I can drop that off to you when I'm done, right? (Before the deadline of course)

I'm tempted to type up one fanfic idea that I've had for awhile now.  There's no way I could do the entire thing between now and then along with my manga and work.  If I do get a chance to do a little writing, can I submit part of a story?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 05:19:21 pm »
Thanks Alot!!
So all those categories listed I put which ones apply to my stroy?
WOOT!!
I decided which one Im gonna do!! *dances* Im excited now.

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

YAY! *does the cha-cha*

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 05:21:18 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
Oops, appartently this is the more popular one to post in (I posted in the same thread in Contests)

Anyway, I'm still trying to finish my manga for this.  I can drop that off to you when I'm done, right? (Before the deadline of course)

I'm tempted to type up one fanfic idea that I've had for awhile now.  There's no way I could do the entire thing between now and then along with my manga and work.  If I do get a chance to do a little writing, can I submit part of a story?

(a) Sure, I live in the same place, if you remember where you dropped off your manga last year. Call first to be sure I'm home. I would prefer that you not drop it off in my absence; my boyfriend can be a little ditzy with spacing where he's put my stuff....

(b) Absolutely.....I love that I choose to accept works-in-progress, because that, more than any other fact about the contest, really seems to draw out of the woodwork folks who had genuinely desired to work on fics, but had not begun, for fear they'd lack time to finish.

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 12:07:43 am »
Curious (I didn't have time to read everything) but will there still be the onsight manga creating contest?  I have this killer idea and I don't think I can pump a manga out in time.  I might and I want to but again.... might not be able to.  So, will there still be an area for the manga contest onsite?
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:27:12 am »
Quote from: "bastett08"
Curious (I didn't have time to read everything) but will there still be the onsight manga creating contest?  I have this killer idea and I don't think I can pump a manga out in time.  I might and I want to but again.... might not be able to.  So, will there still be an area for the manga contest onsite?

YES!!!

A lot of folks are in the same boat as you!
Or, they have great ideas...but no professional supplies for creating offline manga.

So.....we got the goods...;)

All our art activities are sponsored by Copic markers. We will have Copics available for borrowing within the room (by giving name and badge number) for all our art contests!..markers and ink pens, and possibly air brushing!

There is a manga workshop, with a manga meetup and an on-site mini-manga contest! Prime time Saturday night :)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 08:13:39 pm »
Hurray I managed to write a backstory and a new chapter before I had to turn it in!!!
Now I just gotta go through and spell check it wootttt!!!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 04:38:27 pm »
Just sent mine in.....

Stupid e-mail I have though changed my spacing and eveything I had in italics.....  :?

If I can get my yahoo mail to send (It hasnt been lately, I sent from sailormoon.com) Could I resend it?

The Italics kinda mark how they say stuff and thought.  :x

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 10:53:04 pm »
Just sent mine in.....

Stupid e-mail I have though changed my spacing and eveything I had in italics.....  :?

If I can get my yahoo mail to send (It hasnt been lately, I sent from sailormoon.com) Could I resend it?

Send as often as you need to. However, how will I know which version to use?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 01:35:20 am »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
Just sent mine in.....

Send as often as you need to. However, how will I know which version to use?

My sister says If I cant get my yahoo account to work I can send from hers.
Uh... Ill add a note I sent it before and to use this copy.
I will be sendning it again and only once more. ^___^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 10:17:15 am »
whatever you need to do is fine!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 09:33:08 am »
Gawd I'm cutting this close.  I have about 8 more pages left and I need to shade the ones I finished.

Again, it's okay to submit manga that's not quite finished, right?  I may end up having some of my pages in blue pencil.

Also, since chances are I'm not going to get to work on my fanfic thing until after I turn in the manga, can I just bring it with me and drop it off at the con as a non-contest entry?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 08:28:14 am »
Gawd I'm cutting this close.  I have about 8 more pages left and I need to shade the ones I finished.

Again, it's okay to submit manga that's not quite finished, right?  I may end up having some of my pages in blue pencil.

Also, since chances are I'm not going to get to work on my fanfic thing until after I turn in the manga, can I just bring it with me and drop it off at the con as a non-contest entry?

yes, manga are also accepted as works in progress.

yes, you can bring your work to the con and it can be part of the fanfic bedtime stories contest.

i am also considering negotiating with my cojudge, amy, and my supervisor, brenda, to be able to accept fics up to midnight going into the sunday of the con, as i am doing at anime evolution. amy is not attending  the con, but is willing to be online during it and have me send her fics to evaluate. the thing is that if they are turned in in person, i would have to type or scan them to her....there is wireless 'net at the con. i won't have my own comp there, but there will be folks there with laptops and wireless. do you have one? if you do, could you bring me the fic on a disc so i could email her an attachment without having to type it all in?

how many other folks might be interested in a further extension of the fanfic/manga/webcomic/novella contest deadlines?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 06:41:16 pm »
Is the manga deadline being extended as well?  (I read the post in the other thread that mentioned that fanfics were extended.)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 09:16:46 pm »
Is the manga deadline being extended as well?  (I read the post in the other thread that mentioned that fanfics were extended.)

By popular demand...and finally, today, approved by my supervisor...I will accept fanfics, manga, and webcomic links through midnight going into the Sunday of the con.

If someone is turning in a novella later than tomorrow, we will have to negotiate....the reason is that I have a cojudge. I can send her email links, but she won't be at the con.....it would be too expensive to fax her a novella....etc.  I'd do my best to make it work, however!

Offline Lady Shikyo

• Oni
Yay~ Questions to be answered
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 09:16:56 pm »
Two questions:

Does any of this apply to K-con '07? (I was looking at the dates of posts and it all looks a bit old. And I know that there isn't an extension for this year yet, but like... the rules and stuff.)

I'm going to email my entry. Can I email the story in a full Microsoft Word document or do I have to copy and paste it?
OMG, YAOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *.*

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 10:20:49 am »
A Word document should be fine. However, precisely who will judge and who will supervising the judging is a subject about which the Programming manager's assistant and I are presently in discussion. Once details are defined, rules will be posted that apply to the current year. Thanks for your interest!

Are you coming to Sakuracon? I will be running a Fanfic contest there....

Also you might wish to consider joining the kumoricon_fanfiction yahoo group, to meet other authors and beta readers!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
So, when are the deadlines for stuff this year?

I'm just now getting started on a fanfic.  I'm guessing that it'll be about 30 pages long, but that's only a guess.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 11:35:31 pm »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
So, when are the deadlines for stuff this year?

I'm just now getting started on a fanfic.  I'm guessing that it'll be about 30 pages long, but that's only a guess.

Not sure yet.

Have set them for sakuracon: april 1 for novella, if possible; nothing later than midnight going into saturday unless someone arranges through me.

Probably comparable for KC; possibly all in earlier than con, as I'm required to have 3 judges & that takes much coordination.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 11:50:58 pm »
Yeah, I think I should be done by Sakura-con.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 11:52:57 pm »
sweet.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 07:10:36 am »
Guess what, Rem?

I've finally got a new story. I'll submit it, soon.

Also, are you doing fanfics for Sakuracon this year?

If so, is it too late to submit a fic for the contest?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 07:54:35 pm »
yay dustin that is AWESOME!
NO it is NOT too late, and YES i am running fanfic at sakuracon. also a manga/online manga/webcomic contest, i'll put a thread about that elsewhere on the forum.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2007, 09:13:25 pm »
Do you want me to e-mail the author's notes with it, or without that is it fine?

On FF.net I put Author's Notes as first chapters, so I am just wondering.

If it's not too late, I'll e-mail it in for both Sakuracon and Kumoricon. Even though I can't make it to neither.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 12:26:02 pm »
you know me, backstory is my favorite part of fanfic! author's notes, please!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 01:51:12 pm »
Have set them for sakuracon: april 1 for novella, if possible; nothing later than midnight going into saturday unless someone arranges through me.

Hey, I just thought of something, Rem.  Does this deadline apply to Sakura-con, or Kumori-con?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 01:57:45 pm »
Sakuracon.
When fanfic rules are finalized for KC, there will be a thread in this and the contest section of the KC forums.

There will be 3 judges for the KC fanfic contest, and it is possible that I might be coordinating the judges rather than among them. (So far it is me and my primary Fanfic staff, Nicole, and we are looking for one more judge; but if we find 2 more judges, I might bow out, to give someone new a chance and to have some time to focus on coordinating and hopefully being a panelist :) )

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 02:20:56 pm »
Oh, okay.  That's good, because I can work on my novella more for Kumoricon.  My bad. I'm pretty sure that the latest I'll have it finished by will be the July meeting.  Should I (and others participating) submit three copies, one for each judge?  Or is that something yet to be determined?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 11:21:50 pm »
Yet to be determined.
If I had to guess, I would guess that folks who turn in a hard copy would have to submit 3 (to save con expenses), but that folks who turn it in online would just send it to the contest coordinator (me) who would then forward it to whomever (else) was judging.

However, I just noticed that you think you might not be able to come to Kumoricon, either. Unlike Sakuracon, where I have not been precluded from accepting works by folks unable to attend, for at least last year's Kumoricon, and probably this year's, as well, there was a requirement that folks be attending the con to be eligible for prizes from the con (at least in fanfic, if I correctly understood the Programming Director).

Nonetheless, I doubt I'd have such a restriction for the Anime Evolution contest, so if you finish your novella before early August and are not going to Kumoricon, let me know or check the Anime Evolution website for fanfic rules, okay?

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 10:11:31 am »
I've decided not to enter my fic into Sakuracon's contest.

I'm going to hold off sending it pending some feedback on the story.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 11:04:49 am »
whatever works for you, you know i'm a big fan of involving beta readers.
hope to read it for anime evolution, if you can't make kumoricon; but i hope you can make kc!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 01:46:27 pm »
However, I just noticed that you think you might not be able to come to Kumoricon, either.

Huh?  Was that meant for me?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 02:25:42 pm »
no, for dustin

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 03:37:13 pm »
Oh, okay, never mind then.

Offline charibdys

• Oni
Re: FANFIC CONTEST DEADLINES EXTENDED! :)
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 07:38:31 pm »
Is a script for a doujinshi an okay entry?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: FANFIC CONTEST DEADLINES EXTENDED! :)
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2007, 12:02:38 am »
That would be awesome!!!
And btw, though this is last year's thread, we are, of course, again, generously extending our fanfic deadlines........most likely through the first night of con.

PM me with any questions.......

(edit)
Ok, we've decided........You have until the end of the Fanfic panel on Friday (approx. 7p) to turn in your fics:)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:15:23 pm by RemSaverem »