Linked Events

• General Meeting and Elections: October 07, 2007

Author Topic: 2007 October 7th General Meeting and Elections  (Read 25425 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
2007 October 7th General Meeting and Elections
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:13:41 pm »
The October general meeting and elections will be held at the Doubletree Portland-Lloyd Center, Multnomah Room, on Sunday, October 7.

10:00am - 12:00noon
Social Hour and Poster Signing

12:00noon - 2:00pm
Informal Election Debates and Closing of Nominations

2:30pm - close
General Meeting
Elections

Attendance at the general meeting and elections is open to the public. Anybody may participate in discussion, but only staff for Kumoricon 2007 may vote.

Nominations are currently open. Nominations may be made, and discussion of the candidates may be held, in this forum area.

The hotel address and map are available on the web site calendar entry for this event.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: 2007 October 7th General Meeting and Elections
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:22:49 pm »
Excellent!
I'm glad to have the date at last. Having the social time BEFORE the election is a really good plan, give people plenty of time to schmooze and chat before we get down to business. Also, once business is done EVERYONE seems to be in a hurry to run home for some reason.  ???

Also, I think it's awesome that we get to have one of the big rooms for this, Multnomah is about half the main ballroom.

Everyone remember to bring your staff badges so you'll be able to participate in the voting!

(mod note, please post all questions about the nominees and positions to the Elections forum)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:45:20 pm »
I don't know if I'll get in trouble for this but I would recommend parking at Lloyd Center because the hotel charges and Lloyd Center won't be able to tell you apart from some all-day shopper.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 02:54:01 pm »
there is also that giant parking area next to the lloyd center which I believe is free right?
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 04:06:03 pm »
there is also that giant parking area next to the lloyd center which I believe is free right?

Yes, but like the Lloyd Center parking lot it is for Lloyd Cinemas patrons. But it isn't like it's patrolled by tow trucks during the day.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 04:27:55 pm »
All of the parking at Lloyd Center is free.

There is some metered parking on the streets nearby.

It is best to park at Lloyd Center and then walk over to the hotel. I've only heard one person having a problem doing this and they had problems with vandals, not mall cops.

If you're REALLY concerned about parking, ind a nice transit center on the MAX line!  ;)

I'm going to be going to the hotel again to take some pictures and I'd love to meet with someone who has a car so that I can drive down the road a bit and check on the locations of things from the concierge map.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 05:58:20 pm »
what time should volunteers show up to get signed in to vote?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 06:07:17 pm »

The social hour (two actually) looks like the best time to me.  All the correct people would need to be there; but it would be the best time, due to lack of any structured event, in my opinion.

As for riding the maxline in... that is a Very tempting thought that I'll have to explore.  There is the option of just walking the mile to the line where I live, or taking a bus, or driving my car to a sub-urban park and ride.  Or driving all the way in and bothering with Portland traffic and streets that I'm not familiar with...
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:20:55 pm »

I would suggest between 10 and 12.  Although, it also depends on when Ryan Stasel will be arriving, as he's the one who will be signing you up.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:01:49 pm »
I'm thinking that you will be taking staff registrations at the meeting after this? Or something along those lines. Oo

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 01:43:40 am »
I'm thinking that you will be taking staff registrations at the meeting after this? Or something along those lines. Oo
I've been told that staff registrations for 2008 will happen later (I can't recall if it was after this meeting or at/after the next one.).  For sure it won't happen until after the vote is completed.  However I too hope they are taken soon.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 05:12:14 am »
the 7th is a sunday, portland has free parking on the streets down town on sundays so if  there is a meter you won't have to pay it.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 09:46:36 am »

wait does...does ..this mean i get to scmooz?!?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 07:56:49 pm »
I've been informed today that as of October 1st, my schedule at work is being changed so that I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. 

And it's going to be that way for at least the next six months. 

It's awful horrible and lame, and there's no way I can ask for the 7th off, let alone have time off to celebrate my birthday on the 13th.

The fates mock me. 
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 08:50:13 pm »
I've been informed today that as of October 1st, my schedule at work is being changed so that I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. 

And it's going to be that way for at least the next six months. 

It's awful horrible and lame, and there's no way I can ask for the 7th off, let alone have time off to celebrate my birthday on the 13th.

The fates mock me. 

Ouch, hopefully you can request the relevant meeting dates off if given enough advanced notice though.  If not, maybe a proxy vote would work.

In other news though, Happy Birthday.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 08:19:08 am »
Here's a question.  What if I do not know what happened to my staff badge?  Will I still be allowed to vote?
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 02:47:41 pm »
Here's a question.  What if I do not know what happened to my staff badge?  Will I still be allowed to vote?

Yes. Bring ID, and we can check it against the staff list.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 05:03:56 pm »
I'm sorry if this is somewhat unrelated, but October 7th is my 18th birthday!  ;D Unfortunately I'll be in Seattle that weekend...

Offline Mirithespazz

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 06:17:25 pm »
This may sound dumb, but what exactly goes on at said meeting
what is being covered and all? (aka should I be wanting to attend this)
Kumoricon 08
- AC Yuffie

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 04:24:07 am »
Well, if we reference the first post...

12:00noon - 2:00pm
Informal Election Debates and Closing of Nominations

2:30pm - close
General Meeting
Elections

Attendance at the general meeting and elections is open to the public. Anybody may participate in discussion, but only staff for Kumoricon 2007 may vote.

Nominations are currently open. Nominations may be made, and discussion of the candidates may be held, in this forum area.

We see that this particular meeting is quite possibly the most important one all year, since it's the meeting at which the coming convention's Officers are elected.  Even if you aren't eligible to vote it would still help you have your views heard if you asked the candidates any questions which were important to you during the discussion period.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 03:12:08 pm »
I second that thought.  Opinions are always welcome, even if you cannot vote.  Some of the best points of view can be brought up by simply voicing your thoughts.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 07:19:54 am »
I was wondering if there was anyone organizing the informal debates or if that's the time for the nominees to just start arguing with each other. Either way I have some new documentation for Prog and Ops personnel who may find it helpful in organizing the convention layout.
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/maps.html
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/2008.txt

On the same vein, has anyone arranged for a hotel employee to provide us with a tour of the hotel for us to see what the different rooms are like? I believe there are some space concerns that could be addressed by visiting the rooms and seeing the different options that aren't given online in the documentation. Mainly the hotel's willingness to remove the office chairs in the Executive Meeting Center and replace them with normal banquet chairs to fit more people in a room.

Finally, since there is an informal debate period, can someone give us information on the protocol for the formal election itself. For instance, last year there seemed to be an unspoken time period for discussion of a nominee. It would be nice to know the time limit before hand so that we can choose our words wisely or filibuster pompously so that no one else gets to talk.  ;)

I know we're using a pre-designed voting model, is there any other methods in use this election that we can look up on wikipedia?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 09:58:38 am »
Also, I didn't get any signatures on my 2006 poster! So I'm going to bring it and if you worked the con in '06 I'd like you to sign it too! I recommend anyone else in my situation do the same =)
I can has cheezburger?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 05:52:19 pm »
I'm sorry if this is somewhat unrelated, but October 7th is my 18th birthday!  ;D Unfortunately I'll be in Seattle that weekend...

You won't be there?  :'( 

Oh well, Happy Birthday!  Have fun in Seattle!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 06:00:34 pm »
You won't be there?  :'( 

Oh well, Happy Birthday!  Have fun in Seattle!

Thank you!!!  ;D

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:25 pm »
Just a notice to anyone who was planning to talk gaming with me there: don't.  I won't be there.  I'm helping my mom empty her storage unit on Sunday.  I might try and catch the last hour or two if we finish early, and I'll probably still go to GK for a coupla hours when I'm done.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 02:59:51 pm »
If anyone needs a ride from the Beaverton area Sunday, message me. I have 2 spots.
I can has cheezburger?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 08:35:42 am »
I was wondering if there was anyone organizing the informal debates or if that's the time for the nominees to just start arguing with each other. Either way I have some new documentation for Prog and Ops personnel who may find it helpful in organizing the convention layout.
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/maps.html
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/2008.txt

On the same vein, has anyone arranged for a hotel employee to provide us with a tour of the hotel for us to see what the different rooms are like? I believe there are some space concerns that could be addressed by visiting the rooms and seeing the different options that aren't given online in the documentation. Mainly the hotel's willingness to remove the office chairs in the Executive Meeting Center and replace them with normal banquet chairs to fit more people in a room.

Finally, since there is an informal debate period, can someone give us information on the protocol for the formal election itself. For instance, last year there seemed to be an unspoken time period for discussion of a nominee. It would be nice to know the time limit before hand so that we can choose our words wisely or filibuster pompously so that no one else gets to talk.  ;)

I know we're using a pre-designed voting model, is there any other methods in use this election that we can look up on wikipedia?

I would strongly recommend against taking time out of this meeting to tour the hotel. We will have several meetings at the hotel during the year (at least five more) and there will be plenty of time for tours later, but at this meeting we have a lot of policy to discuss as well as elections.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 08:55:25 am »
I think he meant during the mingling time, it wouldn't make sense to interrupt the meeting for a tour, but interrupting people chatting is generally ok.
I can has cheezburger?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 10:30:40 am »
I thought of that too and I thought it would still detract, because people who would be on tour might otherwise be available to do whatever is to occur during mingling time. We actually have some stuff scheduled for that time period, such as signing posters. And really, we have a full year to scope out the hotel.

People can do what they like, I just wanted to point out the potential conflicts with other business.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 11:30:38 am »
Personally, I just figure a time when we're all known to be at the hotel is a good time to scope, so we don't bother the staff later on if we come in unannounced. I wouldn't even need a staff guide, I might just take a personal tour and do some measuring. Some of us won't be able to get to the hotel this month any other day, so it's a good opportunity. I might stay to do my tour after the elections, or come early.
I can has cheezburger?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 02:52:10 pm »
When guspasho brings up the amount of policy that will be discussed, I'm inclined to agree with him. I usually don't do this but I'd hate to miss anything objectionable.

So, if anyone would like a tour from me we can arrange it on a different date. I can't get to the hotel any earlier and I have a D&D game on Sunday night that I'll need to get to after dinner so I'd rather not show you guys around after the meeting adjourns.

As always, I'll be bringing my maps and am willing answer any hotel questions you have. Soon we'll have a Facilities Liaison that will be able to get us even more information from the hotel itself so we can find out about all the things you can't see just walking around.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 04:26:46 pm »
I'd prefer to believe you would hate to miss anything important. :P
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 09:41:37 am »
I'd prefer to believe you would hate to miss anything important. :P

That too. ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 10:54:18 pm »
My mom's gonna try to get the moving truck early and then I should be able to get there between 1 and 2.  It's okay to get there late, right?  I won't be barracaded out and beaten brutally with reinforced pocky, will I?

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 09:35:22 am »
Pocky is a tool for peace we do not beat people with it.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 09:24:57 pm »
GRR.

Sunday has not been kind to me. :(

First, I sleep in 2 hours late, then we take an hour and a half to get the moving truck because my mom goes to the wrong UHAUL place, then it takes 3 and a half hours to get the storage unit emptied, so, since it was 4 at that point, I decided I would skip the meeting and the arcade and help get the couches inside instead.

Then it took about half an hour to get 1 couch into the living room because the door was really narrow.  I wound up throwing an armchair, a footstool, and the couch halfway across the room in frustration, and now the living room's a mess + 1 couch. :(

And my back hurts.

And I didn't get to go to GK and beat BBH's high score on Joust.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 08:02:55 am »
Since no one has done so yet, to the best of my notes, these were the options we were able to vote for, and who won.  (Also posted here since it pertains the the record of the meeting.)

President:
  • Mike Andrews: accept - Winner
  • Bronwyn Williams: accept

• Duncan Barth: decline
  • Meg Uhde: decline
  • Rob "Waffles" Plusko: ?

Operations:
  • Jess Shelton: accept - Winner
  • Brenda McFadden: accept

• Bronwyn Williams: decline
  • Rian Mueller: decline
  • Jesse Cranston: decline
  • Kenton Cook: ?
  • David McCarley: ?

Programming:
  • Jaki Hunt: accept - Winner
  • Brenda McFadden: accept
  • Guy Letoureau: accept

• Duncan Barth: decline
  • Vallie Allen: decline
  • Kristen Bartholomew: ?

Relations:
  • John Krall: accept - Winner (passed non-confidence)

• Ryan Stasel: decline
  • Eric Teitzel : decline

Publicity:
  • Jeff Tyrrill: accept - Winner
  • Kristen Bartholomew: accept

• Sarah Bartash: ?
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 09:53:29 am »
I wish I could have gone to vote!  Ever since Kumoricon, I've been working graveyards on Friday & Saturday nights.  I needed my sleep.  Not only did I miss the meeting, but I also missed a football game I've been wanting to see since Super Bowl 40! 
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 02:55:14 pm »
I uploaded some stuff from the meeting and put it on my blog, not too happy with new camera though it is hard to use and takes blurry pictures.

http://melchizedek077.blogspot.com/