Author Topic: Sticker shock on art stupplies  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
Sticker shock on art stupplies
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:54:24 pm »
I was working on a nifty little pen and marker piece when the dreaded "ink streaking due to marker running out" happened in the process of finishing. Thought it's not too big of a deal to go buy a new marker. Then I got a shocker. The last time I purchased copic markers were back in earlier in the year somewhere between March and May.

It jumped from 4.95 and 5.95. Okay, just a dollar.  But it hurts really bad. Probably will cough up the six bucks to get that particular color on the copic sketch marker. However, it seems markers dying are like one kid vomiting...when one starts...the rest usually follows suit shortly after. I have built up a fairly decent collection and dread the idea of dropping six dollars each time a marker gives up the ghost. I have looked into marker refills, and somehow that doesn't seem as practical as the product is put out to be.

I would have dove in Prismacolors, but they don't have the brush nib like the sketch has.

Any insight? I know prismas are a good product, but I have not really tried comparing in using. Which do you prefer, Copic or Product X (Prismas..other brush markers). Are there less expensive alternatives?

Offline bastett

• Oni
Re: Sticker shock on art stupplies
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 09:43:05 pm »
Do you have a Copic Refil infuser?  I use mine all the time and it really helps.  Infuse with the nib facing the outside of the marker and just tap the top of the pen while removing the ink nib.  If you are using the older brand of Copic stick the nib into the side of the nib and DO NOT APPLY THE REFILL INK DIRECTLY TO THE NIB!!!  This will kill your pen if you do so. 

I like Prisma and I hear it's pretty forgiving.  You wanna make sure you have a good blending tool and they have some tools online so check it out.  They tend to be really bright and bold to begin with but just give it some time.  I personally love Copic but I understand your "ugh" statement about them being so damn spendy.

I look forward to seeing you this year!

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 11:07:54 pm »
Yeah, looking forward to being there and seeing everyone again! I will look into the stuff you suggested.

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:11 am »
Personally, I used the Prismacolors for a long time and they did the trick for me. It all depends on your level of detail - I have branched out and now a majority of my work is done using black pen on paper, scan, and colored digitally - some really neet effects can be achieved and you never run out of ink. Granted, you do have to spend $300 on photoshop (student & teachers discounts rock!) but it was worth the investment for me, as the skills I've gained from it have landed me better jobs in my career. Good luck!
I can has cheezburger?

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:01:44 pm »
You have a grand point. I do use a measure of digital editing to clean up pieces. However, painting digital is a skill that I am still trying to work on. I have the tablet and Photoshop (student discount when I was college). The reason I have stuck to doing things traditionally is that there is a certain amount of intimacy you have between the brush and the paper that doesn't happen digitally for me. The control is far more difficult with digital then with watercolor and paper. But in time I am hoping I can work on that...but for now I am trying to work on my lines with ink and it seems to be getting me somewhere.

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 02:11:20 pm »
I was fortunate enough to have taken a photoshop class around 5.0 and the knowledge has really lasted me. I used to struggle with getting things to work properly, but I have discovered a number of tools and layering options that really do all the work for you, just getting the shapes you want is the tricky part, hence why having a GOOD pen for your scan is VERY important, haha! Good luck.
I can has cheezburger?

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:03:32 am »
Do you posted your work somewhere by chance? I would love to take a peek at some examples.