soul calibur 2 because it's balanced
7 (41.2%)
soul calibur 3 because it's not balanced
7 (41.2%)
i'm stupid for making fun of sc3
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 28, 2006, 10:58:35 pm

Author Topic: Do You Perfer soul calibur 2 or 3?  (Read 10529 times)

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
Do You Perfer soul calibur 2 or 3?
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:58:35 pm »
i perfer 2 i wish they'd just hold the tourney for that instead... maybe i could get first this year(2nd last year but i'm just that ivy player ><)
I Don't Write Words I Draw Letters O_o
Current Cosplay Idea's
~Albel Nox(Star Ocean:TOT)(Remaking)
~Testament(Guilty Gear)(Remaking)
~Aliot(Ragnarok Online)(Planning..Probably wont make its appearance at Kumori-con)

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:25:03 pm »
I like 3 beccause its not balanced whih means you need more skills to play, and skills does not including cheezingf out Rapheals stupid combo with an occasional side step.
AND you can make your own character! GO Pirate!

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:15:38 am »
I've only ever played 2 but 3 looks pretty bad ass

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:25:03 am »
i have a slight thing against sc2 cuz i wanted to see ffx2 at the first k-con but they coudn't stop playing for FIVE FREAKING MINIUTS FOR SUPERJAZ  opeimng which i knew would be cool
...no i dont hold a grudgeto see the e
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 09:01:47 am »
I like some of the new characters in SC3 like the girl with the big circle, weapon, she scares me.  I am upset though because they gave my favorite female characters some pretty slutty outfits.. That is my big problem with the new mortal kombat as well

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:11:00 am »
both of them have alot of good qualities about them It depends how I feel, If I wanna play as link which I do alot i play the second one If I wanna play as my wandering samurai I shall be on the third
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Wolf Wood

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 09:21:13 am »
#3 because it has cooler characters  :D

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:08:43 pm »
but i just dont like the fact that you just start pressing buttons and since everyone is so overpowered that you start demolishing everything but the new characters is cool
I Don't Write Words I Draw Letters O_o
Current Cosplay Idea's
~Albel Nox(Star Ocean:TOT)(Remaking)
~Testament(Guilty Gear)(Remaking)
~Aliot(Ragnarok Online)(Planning..Probably wont make its appearance at Kumori-con)

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:38:40 pm »
There's a character in Kingdom Hearts 2 that moves about like Voldo. It's scary O_o

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
    • http://www.kitzerkief.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:47:40 am »
I really enjoyed SC3. I dunno, needing more skillz made it a lot funner plus I adored the amount of customization you could do. Made it a litte more RPG like than previous fight types. Which in turn made me not so bored with it so fast.
Kumo 2007 Cosplays
Aya Natsume & Natsumi Tsujimoto
We'll just see how well River can keep these two names straight...

Offline Dan the MAN Hibiki

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 08:52:38 pm »
SCIII is broken and glitchy like whoa, but I far prefer the character roster and stages to that of SCII. Not to mention taunt-cancelling. I can cancel taunts, into taunts, then start an A, cancel it... and TAUNT! OMFG!

I'd need to get the rust off either way, but their will be plenty of zweihander mayhem in the game room.
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline EdKun

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 05:31:37 pm »
On one hand, i like SC3 because it brought Siegfried back from the days of Soul Blade. =D This made me extremely happy.

HOWEVER, i think SC3 would be a poor tournament choice when compared to SC2. Balance is everything, and if you have a few broken characters who are a.) overpowered or b.) can win by spamming the same 2 or 3 moves, then something's definitely wrong with that picture.

Play a game where skill is required to win, not just picking an overpowered character.

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 03:45:12 am »
They are both fun to me. I like the Third one slightly better though because the weapons don't rape you as much (Mitsurugi with the damascus sword= Not cool) The new cast of characters is refreshing as well. They also tone down really cheap characters such as Maxi-pad and Raphael. They also made it slightly harder for n00bs to win by pulling the button masher technique, sadly the one trick pony is still a pain to deal with. The one thing I did not like was they greaty reduced in size arenas. Constantly worrying about ring outs can be quite annoying. I am also thrilled with the custom character thing, though I have to say some of their fighting styles are a little bit broken me thinks. Meh, I still have my magic touch with voldo though so I am happy. Oh, by the way, when is the SC3 Tourny? The silly schedule refuses to load on my computer.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 10:12:52 pm »
I think it won't load because you don't have Microsoft Excel.

Anyway, I printed out the schedule and it looks like the SC3 tourney is Saturday @ noon.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 02:04:48 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
I think it won't load because you don't have Microsoft Excel.

Anyway, I printed out the schedule and it looks like the SC3 tourney is Saturday @ noon.
Thats probably it, thank you. I apreciate it very much. I would have been very depressed if I had missed it.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Re: Do You Perfer soul calibur 2 or 3?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 07:10:05 am »
I think this topic needs to be brought back to attention.

I heard from the person running the Soul Calibur tournament that he was going to ditch SC3 in favor of SC2 this year. Now, if it was a landslide vote in favor of SC2, I'd kinda understand, but check the votes above. I think we can assume that the 3 people who chose the third option are in favor of SC3. Thus, the majority of the votes are for SC3.

I'm perfectly fine with having an SC2 tournament. After all, I won the last SC2 tournament, so I must be doing something right. ;) In fact, I play much better with my three favorite characters from SC2 than I do with the same three characters in SC3. However, I have not touched SC2 for months upon months because I never expected SC2 to ever come back and replace SC3 at the con. Many others will be like me: we enjoyed SC2 plenty, but we're hella rusty because we've moved on to SC3.

As for game quality, I can see arguments on both sides. I don't think SC3 is more unbalanced, but it does have greatly simplified move lists with fewer branching combos, and fewer combos overall, many of which I actually used in SC2.

My vote is for two separate tournaments. Both games have had sufficient popularity to justify their own tournament, and I think SC3 is nowhere near bad enough to rationalize its cancellation.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 10:33:50 am »
I don't play tourneys but I do play Voldo, and he's pretty unchanged in the game.

I like the variety of SC3, but 2 had Ivy in the naval uniform. Mmmmm.
I really don't know which I like better (I never played #2 enough).

If 2 is used in the tourny the custom characters (Spawn, Link, Heihachi) need to be banned.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 12:17:02 pm »
I like 2 a bit better than 3, I'm not sure what this talk is about 3 being easier.  I own both and struggle with 3 much more it took me longer to figure things out.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 03:20:35 pm »
I like 2 a bit better than 3, I'm not sure what this talk is about 3 being easier.  I own both and struggle with 3 much more it took me longer to figure things out.

Easier? Well, I did say the move list was simplified, but I didn't mean to imply that it was easier... Anyone who has played the game of Go (for instance) will know that simplified can be very difficult when you add a human opponent into the formula.

Personally, the biggest reason I had trouble adjusting to 3 was the changes to the way old moves are executed. I'm not sure that would've been a problem if I hadn't first played SC2.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:42:57 pm by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 12:17:45 am »
I absolutly adore both, but I agree, they are entirely different, and honestly I would rather there be both than just SC2. Im actualy kind of bummed that SC2 and Smash Bros. are the only two fighter tournies  any way.

Offline SonicBoor

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 01:36:19 pm »
As much as we'd like to represent every fighting game with a following on our tournament schedule, it's just not quite a feasible direction to go in. The sheer amount of time required to run even a small, 20-person tournament is a pretty serious commitment, let alone gathering prizes to give to the winners. We've been having a lot of unexpected requests for a few 2D fighters, including CvS2 and Street Fighter 3, and sanctioning a second SC tournament just so everyone can compete in their preferred flavor is looking like a bit of a reach to schedule in this year. That being said, it hasn't all been set in stone yet, so it's technically still possible.

Also, people are more than welcome to schedule their own casual tournaments for bragging rights and the fun of competition, if you choose to do so, the gaming staff will set aside a couple of TVs and Consoles to play them on, as well as supply you with a set of brackets to run the tourney with.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 12:24:01 am »
Lol, I had no idea the tournies were for anything more than bragging rights. Guess that makes sense though. What was the prize for the SC3 tournament last year?

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 09:40:09 am »
like every tournament... gift certificate for the exhibitors hall...
We need cooler prizes this time, like awesome video games, or immortality.  That'll win people over to the game room.
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/