Author Topic: Hero - Starring Jet Li  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« on: August 29, 2004, 05:28:59 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here has seen it or plans too?

I know the Regal/Lloyd Cinemas is playing it near Lloyd Center.

So, I thought to myself "I am planning to go see it while in town for the Con, I wonder if anyone else plans to go?".

Thats what lead me to make this topic.

I was wondering if anyone else was going, and if anyone wanted to go together to see it?

As it is, I am planning to go see it either Saturday or Sunday, probably at the 7:10 showing.

If anyone else wants to go with me, or has interest in the movie, please discuss it here.

If you plan to go on your own, I got the directions from the Hotel to the Cinemas, its only about two and a half miles, so it shouldn't take very long to get there.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 05:45:34 pm »
I saw it yesterday. They're showing it at the santiam 11 in Salem. I had been waiting to see this for a while (Newtype's article only added to the anticipation), and talked my bf into taking me out (*gasp*) last night. I won't say much, but it was great! It didn't disappoint me, even though it was a little different than I was expecting (not a bad thing). Even my bf seemed to like it  and he hates almost all of the movies I make him see. Lots of action, and a beautiful story. It's the most expensive production China has made to date ($30 million), and it shows.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 06:33:44 pm »
Hero is incredible.  I got the official VCD release for it a while ago and have watched it several times.  It is a very cool movie.
The trick is not minding.

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
    • http://thebakaotaku.topcities.com
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 07:14:07 pm »
my god i loved it so much. it made me wanna learn more martial arts. lol. yea. my second hero is now Jet. but bruce is still the best.
mention this to me and watch the weather change.
--------------------------------------
Sakura-Con/Kumori-Con 08-10:
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 12:29:04 am »
The Chinese version of this movie just kicked ass! ^.^

I don't think I can bring myself to see the American version after reading all the reviews in the paper (none of them sound anything like someone who actually saw Hero), and after seeing the movie posters (Jet Li is holding a Japanese katana in the posters for some odd reason.).

I still say Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was better though. :p
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 07:23:23 am »
something I thought was pretty funny, right as the movie starts with the old guy talking right when the subtitles showed up I heard some guy behing me exclaim "Son-of-a-bitch!" , you can really tell who doesn't watch fansubbs.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 09:13:56 am »
i plan to see it

Con Goer

Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 12:21:53 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

I don't think I can bring myself to see the American version after reading all the reviews in the paper (none of them sound anything like someone who actually saw Hero), and after seeing the movie posters (Jet Li is holding a Japanese katana in the posters for some odd reason.).

Theres an american version of this movie? The one I saw in theatres was the chinese version.

Why is Crouching tiger the only movie this is compared to. People need to see more Chinese cinema.

Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 12:22:52 pm »
Quote from: "rarnom"
Hero is incredible.  I got the official VCD release for it a while ago and have watched it several times.  It is a very cool movie.

Hehe "official VCD"

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 02:28:26 am »
Maybe I'm just weird... it really wasn't as good as I expected. The use of color was visually stunning, but I think some scenes could have been less saturated and they would have looked even better. There's something to be said for subtlety. Also, the combat was actually kind of silly in several scenes. if you ask me. Everyone seemed obsessed with diving straight at their enemy in what would be an easily-avoided attack (nevermind the fact that the fighters can defy the laws of physics). Also, more attention should have been paid to props during fight scenes. The obvious rubber quality of many weapons seriously detracted from the dramatic air they tried to build up. It was kind of funny, though.

Barring that, I found it to be a pretty interesting film. I liked CTHD better in terms of action (and plot, for that matter) , but I liked the message in this film.

To sum things up... if you haven't seen it I recommend you -do- go see it. It's entertaining enough to warrant the price of a ticket (unlike most films these days). Don't expect CTHD but do expect an engaging movie that will make you think with an unusually strong and visually stunning application of color as a primary element of the film.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Hero - Starring Jet Li
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 01:03:18 pm »
Quote from: "Con Goer"
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

Theres an american version of this movie? The one I saw in theatres was the chinese version.

Why is Crouching tiger the only movie this is compared to. People need to see more Chinese cinema.

I compared this movie to Crouching Tiger because it was made by the same person, and had a lot of the same actors, and it was of the same genere.

I have seen a lot of other chinese cinema, but comparing this movie to 'King of Masks' or 'Green Firecracker, Red Firecracker' just didn't seem appropriate. ^.^;

The american version is the version shown in theatres in American.  Apparently it was edited at some part, though I don't know where.  I'm still upset when I see people comapring this movie to Rashoman (Akira Kurosawa).  

There is no comparisan between Rashoman and Hero.  Hero is a tale about a guy and how he killed three assassins.  His stories change because the Emperor sees through his deceptions.

Rashoman is a tale about the different views different people can have on one story, and how such views relate to their lives, and the aspects of life itself.   And Rashoman, hands down, was a better movie.  Even if it was in black white, and lacked the beautiful intesity of Hero or Crouching Tiger.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 03:45:37 pm »
Hero is directed by Mainland Chinese director Zhang Yi-mou, who also directed the Beijing portion of the Closing Ceremonies of the Athens Olympics--isn't that cool?

CTHD was directed by Ang Lee from Taiwan of "Eat Drink Man Woman" fame.

I'm not too sure if the print of Hero in theaters now is the int'l print or another.  Anyway I've seen it twice in the theaters and loved it.  Wouldn't it be great to cosplay as one of those Hero characters?
Anipike.com/Ani-maid productions
cosplayer, reporter
Preparing to make a cosplay comeback...