Author Topic: Erm, is this okay?  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
Erm, is this okay?
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:15:33 pm »
Okay, I want to enter the karaoke contest NEXT year at KumoriCon 2008. I am hoping to do My Will by dream. Now if you are familiar with this song, you'll probably know what I am talking about.

Okay, do you know the second verse and then the chorus, then this small piano solo, and then the other chorus and then the Shiinjite stuff? Well, is it okay if I cut out the small piano part, the chorus before the piano part, and only do one of the Shiinjite's? Or do I have to leave the piano part, the chorus, and the ending?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Re: Erm, is this okay?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:44:00 am »
Okay, I want to enter the karaoke contest NEXT year at KumoriCon 2008. I am hoping to do My Will by dream. Now if you are familiar with this song, you'll probably know what I am talking about.

Okay, do you know the second verse and then the chorus, then this small piano solo, and then the other chorus and then the Shiinjite stuff? Well, is it okay if I cut out the small piano part, the chorus before the piano part, and only do one of the Shiinjite's? Or do I have to leave the piano part, the chorus, and the ending?

Yeah, I was wondering about something along the same lines as that. If its ok to cut the long 3min karaoke version to be the same things as the TV version, if you cant find a TV karaoke version, but it says no edited music.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:12:57 pm »
i would think it would be okay that song is pretty long it dosent really cut too much off
great song too
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:47 am »
Yeah it is....
Either My Will or Shinjitsu No Uta by Do As Infinity[TV version]....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:08:58 am by Syd-chan »

Offline Foxmouse

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:57:57 pm »
Sorry to have to tell you but, the rules state that:

"Songs must be in their original format as on the released CD and may not be edited, cropped, remixed, or otherwise altered by the contestant or other party in any way. Remixes that have appeared on an officially released CD (for example, one of the many different remixes by Ayumi Hamasaki) are acceptable."
2010 Karaoke Coordinator
2009 Masquerade Coordinator/Guest Liaison
2008 Programing Assistant/Karaoke Coordinator/Masquerade Coordinator
2007 Performance Manager/Karaoke Coordinator
2006 Panels Manager/Karaoke Assistant

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 06:48:58 am »
Sorry to have to tell you but, the rules state that:

"Songs must be in their original format as on the released CD and may not be edited, cropped, remixed, or otherwise altered by the contestant or other party in any way. Remixes that have appeared on an officially released CD (for example, one of the many different remixes by Ayumi Hamasaki) are acceptable."

Sorry, but why in the world do we have this rule?

I have a 9-minute audio track with voices, and I know how to use Audacity. I've managed to use a voice-dampening technique to make the voices barely audible. I also intend to cut the track down to 3 or 4 minutes, since it's a very repetitive song. That would also prevent the person at the soundboard from having to fade out at my cue while I'm singing (I don't wish to use up the entire allotted 5 minutes).

Basically, everything I'm doing to the track is an improvement on what they'll be doing at the soundboard, anyway. Why is this bad? Are you worried about badly hacked-up edits?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:53:14 am by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 01:22:41 pm »
^ i second that song my will has this one line that just repeats a million times, or what about tv anime versions of the song they are made shorter are they okay?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:44:24 pm »
^ i second that song my will has this one line that just repeats a million times, or what about tv anime versions of the song they are made shorter are they okay?

TV versions often appear on CDs, so I imagine they're just fine regardless.  I rarely see karaoke versions of the TV-length tracks, though.

Apollo Justice

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 02:40:27 am »
Eh, you can do it if you have the brain.  ;)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 03:44:24 am »
Eh, you can do it if you have the brain.  ;)

If you're talking about muting voice tracks on stereo recordings -- by splitting the stereo into two tracks, inverting one, and merging the two into one mono track -- yes, I managed to do that on my own by simply following someone's rough description of the process, and fiddling in Audacity until I got it to do what I wanted (it took a few tries to wrestle with the GUI).

However, the technique doesn't work with all tracks (the lead singer needs to be centered exactly, with all backups being off-center in the stereo balance), and official karaoke tracks are of slightly higher quality than fanmade tracks that use this trick.

Anyway, still waiting on a response to my original question. Not sure if it'll do any good, but hey.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:47:33 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice