Author Topic: The DEFINITIVE - anime list for con newbies  (Read 7138 times)

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
The DEFINITIVE - anime list for con newbies
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:33:05 pm »
Ok, so I realize that nothing like this can really exist, but what anime would you include in a definitive list for someone who is coming to a convention for the first time?

If I had 5 - 10 titles, I'd probably include:

Akira
Evangelion
Naruto
Bleach
"My Neighbor Totoro"
Trigun
Hellsing
Something Tenchi - related
Fruit's Basket
Sailor Moon

Whoa. That's 10 already...

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Re: The DEFINITIVE - anime list for con newbies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 03:54:15 pm »
My suggestions:

Azumanga Daioh
Ouran High School Host Club
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
...anything by Miyazaki period. ♥

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 04:16:27 pm »
...anything by Miyazaki period. ♥

I'd probably not say period but suggest not Grave of the Fireflies. But that's my personal opinion.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 04:20:20 pm »
^ lol. Even though that movie makes me cry, I still like it.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 04:54:09 pm »
Yeah - I've never watched it due to the cover.  :'(  Given the choice I lean towards big fat forest spirits.  :D

How could I forget Host Club!!!??? Ak.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline KiiroiNeko

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 05:11:08 pm »
Don't forget:

RoboTech or Macross

Spirited Away (or anything by Hayao Miyazaki)

Inuyasha or  FullMetal Alchemist 

Speed Racer   :P

Naruto/Bleach (at least to understand most of the CosPlay!)

Grave of the Fireflies (although it makes me cry  :'(  )

Anything else by Ghibli

Newer stoof (Maybe too new?):

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 05:19:24 pm »
Time for Mustash's list!
1) Cowboy Bebop
5) Death Note

I second these! :D

Offline Kuranberi

• Oni
    • NekoPan Maid Café & Bakery
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 08:56:50 pm »
Ooh, I need to take notes... because I AM a newbie... this will be my first convention and I am mostly ignorant.   :-[

I'm relieved to see that I've seen at least some of the stuff listed here.  Naruto, Bleach, Totoro, Hellsing, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Chobits (which I loooove...), FullMetal Alchemist... and a coworker has been lending me Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:34:55 am »
Waaah!

What about Outlaw Star?!

Gundam Wing and DBZ.... I think I m just listing my childhood faves.... :D

Ooh Genshiken is the good stuff!
Secrety secrets!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 10:33:36 am »
All of Gundam?

That's why I hate these lists. People can't keep separate all of their favorites from what the OP asks.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 11:49:40 am »
I'm with you there guspasho. Having popular shows under your belt doesn't teach you about anime it just teaches you about the fans you're talking to. I'm sure that Guy and Andie will be glad to list off ten shows that most of us have never seen!

While I would suggest Gundam Wing as the best Gundam choice, I think that Robotech would be the most baseline choice. Macross Plus can get the job done if you're in a hurry but I would suggest starting with the original series (even if you only have Robotech, the American Macross).

For Miyazaki I think that you should do two movies, Totoro and Mononoke. Both show his range of innocent fun, action, comedy, and drama. There's no need to bring out the gloom with Grave of the Fireflies of confuse them with Pom Poko.

Cowboy Bebop is unique enough that it can cover the space of Outlaw Star or Coyote Ragtime Show.

I can't argue with Akira, but if the person in question gets grossed out easy I think it'd be better to show them a different kind of future distopia, like Ghost in the Shell. Bubblegum Crisis and Tank Police could foot the bill here if you're not really taking things too seriously.

Ouran Host Club is to much of a joke on the other bishi harem shows like Fruits Basket. Heck, I'm suprised someone hasn't brought up Fushigi Yugi on that note!

I have three words that I am apalled no one has mentioned. Vampire Hunter D. You kids today have such a wide variety of horror titles that you forget that for years the only thing most of us had was the D.  Sure, Bloodlust is way prettier but the original is a landmark for anime in the hearts of American fans.

I think in order for someone to really learn about all the people they'll see at the convention and how many different kinds of anime that are out there you need to go by genre to make sure that hit all the right buttons.

Cyberpunk/distopia: Ghost in the Shell or Akira, depending on the fan.
Horror: Vampire Hunter D.
Giant Robots: Robotech
Sex Comedy: Ranma 1/2
Fantasy: Record of the Lodoss War
Harem, Boys: Fruits Basket
Harem, Girls: Tenchi Muyo
Romance Adventure: Fushigi Yuugi (spelling? ^_^;)
Shoujo Action: Sailor Moon
Shonen Action: Gundam Wing? (there's gotta be something better but I hafta leave now.)

There was more but I gotta run!

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 12:05:17 pm »
Are we talking a list of series that a person should know about to have general knowledge of conversations/cosplay that might occur at a convention? If that is the case, the list would be changing every few years.

Currently (considering the above) I would say (in no order, also, no where near a list of favorites):

+The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
+Ouran High School Host Club
+Fruit's Basket
+Naruto
+Bleach
+One Piece
+Fullmetal Alchemist
+Death Note
+FLCL
+Neon Genesis Evangelion

While Ghibli works make up their fair share of the percentage portaying to "Anime you should know about," I wouldn't say the majority of con-goers have conversations or cosplay Ghibli characters. Haruhi Suzumiya and Ouran are two of the more popular modern series, naturally they will contribute to a fraction of the cosplay/discussions. Naruto and Bleach are still popular series, and they're released in English (no to mention the fact they appear on Cartoon Network). Ergo, they're more likely to be the subject of your everyday anime-fan attending a convention. One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist also fall in with Naruto and Bleach (although, of the four, Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto will recieve the most attention). Death Note is among the most popular manga (and now anime) with in the general scope of the anime fandom (new fans, old fans alike). FLCL is a cult classic, as well as Evangelion (however, these two will contribute less to cosplay and more to conversation, so they are simply necessary for conversation survivablity).

As a list for con newbies who want to focus more on the veteran conversations, I would suggest a few of the following:

+Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise (GAINAX, Sci-Fi)
+Legend of the Overfiend (Ero-anime)
+Akira
+Macross
+Gundam (Universal Century, I wouldn't worry with SEED or Alternate Century)
+Otaku no Video
+Bible Black (Ero-anime)
+Megazone 23 (Sci-Fi)
+Daicon IV Opening Animation (GAINAX, Japan Sci-Fi Convention)
+Outlaw Star

This is a list of series that are more "old school" and that you might here discussed by people who have more of an old-school interest or that are old school themselves.

I suggest both Bible Black and Legend of the Overfiend (Urotsukidouji) because they are two of the best know ero-anime (hentai) series. While Bible Black is the more recent of the two, it is popular among a few cosplayers (the school uniform). Urotsukidouji has been compared to Akira, in regards to the impact it had on anime fandom when it was released (in theaters).

Akira and Otaku no Video, IMO, are anime fan's "Must See" anime. Akira is a classic sci-fi movie that is responsible for a lot of anime's popularity among the older generations. Otaku no Video is one of GAINAX's finest works and gives a good view into the lives of Japanese Otaku (it is actually a parody of the starting of GAINAX). Megazone 23 can be thrown into this category, as it was one of the titles that raked in anime fans back in the day.

Macross and Gundam (UC) are two of the most well known (not to mention, Good) mecha franchises. If you can only catch a little of each, I suggest Mobile Suit Gundam (the original series, but if that is too long, watch the movies) and Macross: Do You Remember Love?.

Royal Space Force is the only anime movie I consider better than Grave of the Fireflies or Jin-Roh (in fact, watch Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade as well). Royal Space Force is a beautiful sci-fi movie, the first major anime title produced by GAINAX (if you can see the vein I'm running in, GAINAX has a lot of the classic titles).

Daicon IV Opening Animation. This animation, ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=rzy1RNJBUo4 ), was used for the opening of Daicon IV (the 1983 Japanese Sci-Fi con) and produced by what would become Studio GAINAX. It is the "sequel" to Daicon III's animation ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=6xLAVWf-N3c ).

Outlaw Star is a more modern "old school" anime, if you will. It is a gateway drug of sorts (got a lot of poeple I know into anime).

Outside of definitive anime series, a few video game series that might want to be addressed are:

+Guilty Gear
+Street Fighter
+Kingdom Hearts
+Metal Gear Solid

All for the reason of cosplay, mainly.

Edit//

I disagree with what TomtheFanboy has said about Gundam Wing being the best Gundam Choice. If you want to get a feel for what Gundam really is, I suggest the Universal Century hands down. While Gundam Wing is a very good AC series, it doesn't hold the same water as say Mobile Suit Gundam or Char's Counterattack does. Gundam Wing, however, is one of the better known Gundam series.

I do agree with your suggestions of Vampire Hunter D, Record of the Lodoss War and Sailor Moon. They're all classics in my book.

Edit #2//
A list of modern series that people having conversations about fansubbed anime are mostlikely to talk about:

+Lucky Star
+Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
+Code Geasse
+Seirei no Moribito
+Terra E (Terra E is also a sci-fi classic, as in, the original Terra E)
+Hayate no Gotoku!
+Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
+Dennou Coil
+School Days
+Evangelion: Rebuild (Not out yet)

Lucky Star is the newest work by Kyoto Animation (Haruhi Suzumiya, AIR). Gurren-Lagann is Gainax's newest mecha series. Code Geasse is quite popular, but I don't follow it (check Wiki). Seirei no Moribito is based on the fantasy book of the same name and is absolutely beautiful (a new show, Shugurui is also beautiful but not as popular yet). Terra E is a remake of the classic manga of the same name (there is also a classic movie as well). Hayate no Gotoku! is about a combat bulter and is a comedy series (it is another series I am not following closely, so Wiki). Dennou Coil is a ghibli-esque cyperpunk series. School Days and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei are both part of the Summer '07 season, the former is based on a dating sim and the latter is a completely random dystopian series.

Evangelion: Rebuild refers to the 4 new Evangelion movies that will be released between '07 and '08. They are not out yet, but the trailer can be easily found on youtube for the first movie. The first 3 movies of Rebuild will retell the Evangelion story and the last one will feature a new story. This will definitely be a hot topic until all 4 are finally released.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 12:21:16 pm by AzuKyo »
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 10:04:08 pm »
Tom! I love your list, and your explanation was well thought out!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:42:18 pm »
5-10 necessary anime for newcomers?  Hmm... I would have to say...
1. Evangelion
2. Akira (more for history)
3. FLCL
4. Tenchi Muyo + one episode with Kiyone (either the special or an episode of Universe) + one episode of Tenchi in Tokyo (sometimes you have to know the bad stuff to appreciate the good stuff.)
5. Trigun
6. Sailor Moon
7. Fushigi Yuugi (I agree with Tom's reasoning)
8. Cardcaptor Sakura (I figured the list needed something cute on it even though there's already a magical girl series on here)
9. Miyazaki (Totoro and Princess Mononoke are must sees, Graveyard of the Fireflies and Spirited Away would be highly suggested as well.)
10. Dragonball Z (but I would help out and say what parts they could skip so they wouldn't spend 5 days watching someone power-up)
(I was thinking about adding Inu Yasha but only to help explain jokes that would happen at the con)

If I could give a list from my personal favorites, I would go with:
1. Kino's Journey
2. Tenchi Muyo
3. Kiki's Delivery Sevice
4. FLCL
5. Trigun
6. CCS
7. IGPX
8. Escaflowne
9. Naruto
10. and I can't think of a 10th right now.

And I know it's not anime but it would definitely help, but newcomers should brush up on some Final Fantasy history just so they can recognize most of the cosplayers and understand some of the jokes.  I would recommend 7 and 10 for some of the finer details and the rest for the generic stuff (summoning, black mages, blue mages, potions, etc.)

I think you would also have to show dubbed and subbed versions of the series just so they could understand what all of the commotion is about dub vs. sub at cons.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 08:57:07 am »
and the most holyest of holy grails of anime..... dum dum dum
the fantastic adventures of unico
and its sequal
unico to the magic island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unico#U.S._Distribution
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:22:19 pm »
I used these titles to get my friends interested in anime:
1. FLCL
2. Gantz
3. Elfen Lied
4. Azumanga Daioh
5. Cowboy Bebop
6. Yu Yu Hakusho
7. Cowboy bebop
8. Full Metal Panic
9. Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
10. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

My friends needed a lot of nudity and violence to get into anime, so Gantz and Eflen Lied really helped  :)