Poll

want to go?

yes
9 (69.2%)
no
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Christian symbols in Anime  (Read 7722 times)

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Christian symbols in Anime
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:44:26 am »
at the meeting I was talking to a cool guy who I just met (the dude that handles the AMVs guy right?) and he said there will be a panel on Christian symbols found in anime I am excited about this because I've seen it too and would like to learn more about this subject.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Re: Christian symbols in Anime
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:54:09 am »
LOL, Guy has a handler?  :o
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:19:30 pm »
<.< *inserts a comma into the OP between AMVS and Guy*
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:24:31 pm »
Yes, Guy is the AMV guy, lol.

And this does sound like a really sweet panel. We touched very briefly on the subject during Cosplay Church last year, talking about the Philosopher's Stone in Full Metal Alchemist and how it relates to Christ. A really interesting topic that I'd love to see more of, for sure.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpuckjd
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 01:09:56 am »
hmmm intresting I would be down to go to this panel... aslong as the guy who does it dresses up like the dude from the da vinci code o.o I am joking by the way but yeah I would love to take part in this panel
Insert Whitty Comments here...

oh yeah and BOOOSH
Sakuracon Security Coord 7 years running

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:52:34 am »
I assisted Guy in facilitating the panel to which you are referring last year, and it was one of the best experiences I had anywhere at any con in any year. I'm hoping to be able to repeat that this year (pending that the panel is scheduled at a time I am not tied down in the room I coordinate, The Creation Station).
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 11:55:43 am »
Three words: Neon Genesis Evangelion.

You can do an entire panel on that series alone.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:11:09 pm »
c'est moi    :P   hee hee hee....  :D

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 10:59:31 am »
I'd like to nominate Bible Black for this scary anime panel. Though technically it is Hentai.

I was working at Fanimecon late one night and happened to pass by the Hentai room, and I've been scarred by what was on that screen ever since!

>_<
I can has cheezburger?

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 11:07:26 am »
I'd like to nominate Bible Black for this scary anime panel. Though technically it is Hentai.

I was working at Fanimecon late one night and happened to pass by the Hentai room, and I've been scarred by what was on that screen ever since!

>_<
I think you're in the wrong thread.. <.<
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 12:07:14 pm »
Gemineye, you want the Anime that Scarred me for Life Panel, a couple of threads down.

And I would suggest you avoid some late night viewing Sunday night of con  ;D
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 10:05:39 pm »
Reminds me of a roommate I had who said he was a devote Christian.

I was trying to watch Battle Angel Alita and I commented on “Oh the Junk City is Salem and the Rich City is JaRu Salem” I’m half deaf and I had to rewind and turn on the CC to tell what they were saying.  As he was Drunk he starting going off on How the Japanese secretly recognize the superiority of christians but wont admit it and I responded that they were probably just incorporating the names like they would using source material from any other cycle of Mythology or folklore, he said I just did not understand these things as i'm not a christian and stormed off. 

Then as I was watching a PBS Special on the history of Christ he was drunk and came in Yelling “it’s Lies all Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies.

Then when I was watching The Amazing Randy explain how people on TV talk shows fake talking with the dead he is drunk and storms in yelling it’s Demons, All Demons they are all Demons. 

Then I was playing a PC Game with “Legion” in the title and he comes out drunk and tells me the word legion comes from the bible.  I told him it is a Latin word for a great many but in this case meant a roman military formation of 6 to 10 thousand men.  He says I’m wrong and quotes a bible scripture with the word Legion in it.  I said the Bible (the Greek word for book from the city of Byblos) was originally an oral tradition.  The Old Testament being written down in Hebrew no earlier than about 1000 BC and the New Testament started as oral testimonials and personal letters written in Greek and Aremetic in about 30 to 70 AD and that the bible as he knows it was edited together and translated into Latin in about 320 AD by a Brother Linus after the first Lateen Counsel then later translated into other languages the one he had being translated in Shakespearean  times using the form of English of that Era with a few  words from the earlier languages left in like Legion.  And he laughed and said what do I know I’m not a Christian.

But I Later found out he thought Fortune Cookies were made with evil magic so I could chase him around the apartment with a fortune cookie as he yelled “Ahhhhhh it’s full of demons”

Von "So Square that lady friends tell me to pretend to be a cristian and go to church and find all the nerdy church ladies I want" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 02:15:14 pm »
lol god damn Von, I wanna hang out with you

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 05:25:13 pm »
I don't know if vondan is on the forums anymore, but on a side note looks like this panel coming back this year :D
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 04:27:42 pm »
I don't know if vondan is on the forums anymore, but on a side note looks like this panel coming back this year :D

Yes! The title is Religion in Anime and Manga, the panelists include Guy Letourneau, myself, Kate and Jeni from Creation Station, and CARL HORN FROM DARKHORSE COMICS, editor of, among others, Neon Genesis Evangelion manga!

I think we're at 4pm Sunday......not sure what room.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 06:06:24 am »
Religion in Anime = 4:00 - 5:00 p.m Sunday, panel room 3

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 10:01:28 am »
Religion in Anime = 4:00 - 5:00 p.m Sunday, panel room 3

Oy vey, I hope there isn't anything immediately after us....If I recall correctly, last year we had an hour and a half and there will still folks waiting with hands up to be called on......I had thought we were going to have 2 hours. But I'm not the one who coordinates the panel; maybe Guy only wanted an hour because he's so busy with AMVs?