Author Topic: Paper Mache for props- Good or bad?  (Read 2650 times)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Paper Mache for props- Good or bad?
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:35:02 pm »
I have to do 3 bigger sized props before the convention starts. I bought a bunch of upholstery foam to make them but I couldn't buy the high density kind so it's all kinda droopy D: Then someone gave me a brilliant idea to paper mache over them a whole bunch with brown paper bags. But my mother is telling me that it's going to "crack and break when you're at the convention and then it'll look like a piece of crap". So has anyone worked with it before? Is it a good idea to use it? and how do I make it strong enough so that it won't crack if you bump a said prop into something?

Thanks for the help!
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Re: Paper Mache for props- Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 08:39:20 pm »
Build a frame and paper-mache around that. Use some balsa wood or chicken wire or something.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:51:37 pm »
where i think that papier mache has it place in certain props, or at least certian phases of the construction of a prop,  i think trying to layer it over something as flexable as foam is a bad bad bad sad idea.  your mom is kinda right.  it might look good for a little while but you bump into anyone or acsidentally sit on it or something and its gone.

i dont know what it is youre trying to make. BUT i can say that if youre trying to make something thats going to last out of papier mache, you really need to use more than one layer of different paper.  egg cartons with a water blended up is really strong but takes a long time to dry, but then if you cover it up with some kinda smoother paper like blended newspaper with toilet paper.
look arround online there are TONS of turorials for papeir mache.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Sasu-kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • Senshi-Con Alaska
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:24:23 am »
I'll be using a combination of paper mache and paper clay for Hei's mask.  I've read over the tutorial I was given multiple times, and it seems like it'll turn out very well. 

As for things like weapons and such, I'm not so sure.  But most masks, it seems like it'd work fairly well.

Plans for Kumori '08
Hei (Darker than Black)
Ichiro (Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu)
Possibly more...

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:55:11 am »
look for the dense kind at home depo, or that sort of place.  You can paper mache over those, but make sure you do lots of layers! When I made my bridget handcuff it was totally awesome, but I only used on layer so after about half the day it started falling apart D: (I used craft styrofoam for the base, it is easy to work with and can be bought at JoAnns, only problem is that it is pretty fragile).
The droopy kind of foam wont really work at all :/ I know, I made that mistake too.
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:44:12 am »
where i think that papier mache has it place in certain props, or at least certian phases of the construction of a prop,  i think trying to layer it over something as flexable as foam is a bad bad bad sad idea.  your mom is kinda right.  it might look good for a little while but you bump into anyone or acsidentally sit on it or something and its gone.

i dont know what it is youre trying to make. BUT i can say that if youre trying to make something thats going to last out of papier mache, you really need to use more than one layer of different paper.  egg cartons with a water blended up is really strong but takes a long time to dry, but then if you cover it up with some kinda smoother paper like blended newspaper with toilet paper.
look arround online there are TONS of turorials for papeir mache.

Yeah ._. I can kinda see that happening now, breaking all over the place and stuff.
And I'm trying to make Bridget's handcuff and May's anchor ;^.^ The third one as of last night doesn't need to be made anymore. I still have a few ideas for the handcuff but the anchor I'm at a loss for...

look for the dense kind at home depo, or that sort of place.  You can paper mache over those, but make sure you do lots of layers! When I made my bridget handcuff it was totally awesome, but I only used on layer so after about half the day it started falling apart D: (I used craft styrofoam for the base, it is easy to work with and can be bought at JoAnns, only problem is that it is pretty fragile).
The droopy kind of foam wont really work at all :/ I know, I made that mistake too.

XD As I said to PinkRandomAttack above, Bridget's handcuff is one of the things I'm trying to make. I'm thinking about still doing paper mache but using a stronger base like cardboard or something :\ I'm still kinda new at doing this so if you came up with a better way to make your handcuff could you please let me know ^.^
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music