Author Topic: Dimentio! (Sorry for the length.)  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
Dimentio! (Sorry for the length.)
« on: July 17, 2007, 03:55:02 am »
I have 95% certainty that I will be going as Dimentio to K-con 2007.  My friend is going to be making a cape and dress for me, and I'll be making a mask. 

For those of you who aren't familiar with the loveable jester, here are some pictures (and shame on you for not playing Super Paper Mario!):
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=674b8k5
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=61vpb41
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5yccar9
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5z71s3n
(I'm totally not obsessed, thanks! ^_^;; )

I have a couple things, though. 

First of all, does anyone know where I can find a jester hat, or a pattern for one, that looks similar to Dimentio's?  I've spent hours looking up things, and not finding quite what I want. 

Second, I'm female (hence the dress, but crossplaying is cool still..) and therefore am allowed to wear heels in public without disturbing the peace too much... But, I can't decide what kind of shoes I'll be wearing.  The dress will go to around my knees, and I'll be wearing black fishnets underneath.  I have a few options. I have mary janes, which I used in my Mahoro cosplay last year, I have my "kinky boots," which are basically my black semi-goth booths that go up to almost my knees, with belts and such on them.. I also have some black flats, black low-heels (Magenta shoes for Rocky Horror), and some 4-inch heels, with a slight tear that I don't know how to fix since it's also in the elastic.  I need to know what you guys suggest, not to mention if you have any OTHER suggestions (preferably with links to other shoes/locations/prices/etc).  I know that they NEED to be black.  Bonus points if the shoes have a tip that goes up or something, but it's not recquired.  I would really like if they would have a heel as well, but again, not necessary. 

A bag Dimentio would carry with him were he female and needed to carry a lot of things? 8D I don't like carrying all of my K-con things in a gigantic plastic bag.  That thing split, and arrrg. ;_; I also need a lot of room in it, so it can double as a school bag after September.  Preferably with pockets and such. XD; And a reasonable price, please. 

LASTLY!  If you've read through all this and are still interested.. I'm curious to know if anyone else is planning to cosplay as a Super Paper Mario character?  It'd be fairly interesting to see a Francis or a Tippi, hahaha.. XD; Kidding, kidding.  But if anyone is going as the Count or Mimi, I may or may not worship them.  Ahahaahha.. XD;

I'm not sure which days in order I'll be going as who, but I'm going as Misa (Death Note) on a different day, and I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing for the other day.  I don't want to spend too much money (my parents don't provide anymore! ;_; XD;; ), but I can spare a bit.  I'm considering.. a generic, non-labeled schoolgirl (I've got a skirt and a button-up white top?), Chloe Valens (No clue how I'd even DO that, but it'd be cool), Miles Edgeworth/Phoenix Wright, Ema Skye (That Ema cosplayer last year was my hero.  Seriously.), Nastasia, an Elite Beat Agent (no divas..sorry. ;D), San (Aka Princess Mononoke.  Wore that last year, too.) or just wear my yukata.  I guess "LASTLY!" was a lie.. But, hm.  Tell me what you guys would be interested in!  Also, expect someone wearing a Fon Master Ion/Natalia/Anise costume next year.  Or maybe Norma Beatty.  Or Presea Combatir.  Or Colette. XD; Arg, too many choices!  But.  This year.  This year!  Yeah, tell me what you guys think. 

I also have a shout-out to the guy who dressed up as Zelos last year, whose name I never got but told me to go here, and I took a billion pictures of: "Hi!  I'm that creepy girl that followed you around who had whales in her hair! 8D I used up an entire camera's worth on pictures on you.  That's a bit weird, isn't it?  Oh well.  I'm here now, and I intend to make that completely public..."

Everyone who reads this, thank you.  Everyone who doesn't and posts, "lol there shud b a limit on hao much ppl pst der 1st tiem....rofl" will be attacked.  Viciously.  I have body gaurds.  I really appreciate any help, I honestly do.  :D

EDIT: Umm. I remembered an ingenius idea I had... To make the brooch on my cape play music.  Anyone know where I can go to get this done? XD; I don't think this is doable, but it'd be really awesome if I could..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:18:56 am by Serika »
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: Dimentio! (Sorry for the length.)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:17:37 pm »
Jester hat - Start by doing a search on the internet.
http://www.theholidayspot.com/mardigras/newcrafts/jester_hat.htm has very basic instructions for a jester hat.
I'd actually recommend you cut out bits of paper in diamond shapes similar to what you see in the character's picture and then fiddle with arranging them around your head (or the head of a doll/stuffed animal that's about as big as your head) until they look about right -- you may find that you have to recut the papers several times as you discover what sizes to make the shapes. Then use those pieces of paper as the start for your hat pattern. You'll probably have to use timtex (a rather thick iron on interfacing) to stiffen the fabric so that the pointy bits stand up rather than flop over. It also looks like you may be able to just attach those shapes to the face mask instead of making a complete hat.

As for footwear, first and foremost be certain that the shoes are sufficiently comfortable on your feet so that you can walk around for several hours in them -- most people walk much more at a convention that they normally do in their day to day life. That said, I'd recommend that you try on the whole outfit in front of a full length mirror and switch through all the pairs of shoes you mentioned until you can decide which one looks best. I think the boots may be nicest, but without seeing the set of choice and the look of the rest of the outfit, it's a tough call.

As for a stuff-holding bag, there are several options available. If the skirt is somewhat full and has a petticoat underneath, you could (1) make a large pocket that hangs from your waist and is accessible through a slit put into a portion of the skirt's seam [if it's got a side zipper, with a button at top, you may even be able to have the internal pocket line up with the zipper and then you just unzip a bit to get into the pocket] This style of pocket was used in the 1600s since it was hard for people to locate the opening in the folds of the skirt [thus thwarting pick pockets] and it was sufficiently hidden that people would have no idea how much you are carrying. (2) same internal pocket idea, but if you don't have the zipper access ability for whatever reason [zipper is in back and must remain there] then open up a portion of the side seam and use that as the pocket opening. (3) if you aren't carrying much, you can pin a small folded pouch into the waistband of the skirt. (4) cleverly construct the hat with a zippered or velcro opening between the outside and lining of the hat to hold your money / credit cards.   :D

Another option would be to make a matching tote bag that you can carry along with you.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:55:13 pm »
Thank you for your response. :D

Yeah, I saw that a couple times, but I want a real, actual, jester hat that I can wear as a hat and put in the washing machine.  I've looked up about 12 pages worth of jester hats/mardi gras hats/patterns on Google, and only yielded about 3 results that seemed good.  I want one that kinda pokes up (stuffed, I mean, but if not, I can stuff it myself) and curves around, and doesn't really droop at all.  It's mainly the style of the game that makes it look like that, I view it as a separate piece completely. 

I have pretty strong feet.  I spent an entire day walking around in strappy stilettos that were a size too small.. And then went and played lazertag.  XD; That toughened my feet up super..muchly.  So, I'm comfortable walking in heels for long periods of time without much, or any, discomfort.  Yeah, I was thinking the boots would be good, just..they are guilty of snagging tights on several occasions. D:

I don't quite understand your description about the pocket (not too bright, eh eh..), and I'll also be carrying several things, including pictures, dividers, a game I'm supposed to get back, money, snacks... Yeah, quite a bit. X33; The hat pocket thing is ingenius though!  I would definitely do that if I only had to carry a little bit. :)

Yeah, I think I might have to make it myself.  I'm just not sure where I can get a pattern, considering I'm not really the smartest on finding patterns/sewing.. D: But, I might head down to the fabric store and look around for something.  Thank you very much for your suggestions! :D
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 07:52:44 pm »
I don't quite understand your description about the pocket (not too bright, eh eh..), and I'll also be carrying several things, including pictures, dividers, a game I'm supposed to get back, money, snacks... Yeah, quite a bit. X33; The hat pocket thing is ingenius though!  I would definitely do that if I only had to carry a little bit. :)
The Pockets I described are rather convenient and really cool.

Two bags made of beautiful fabric or embroidered, attached to a waistband and worn under the panier. See also here. Pocket hoops, as the name implies, serve as both pockets and hoops, i.e. you can forgo extra pockets. The size of the pockets (and the length of the slit in pockets, jupe and robe) is a matter of taste and depends on what you want to put inside: How long must the slit be to easily admit you hand holding your wallet, a cell phone, a camera? How big must the pocket be to hold all the things you want to have with you at all times? Unlike with modern garments, you don't have to be careful of the silhouette, so be generous. Pockets were often beautifully embroidered even though they weren't visible. Since it was so easy to transport a lot of stuff without ruining the line of the garment, wrist bags were not used: They appeared only when the slender Directoire line came into fashion, making pockets impossible.

http://www.memorialhall.mass.edu/collection/itempage.jsp?itemid=6262  picture of pocket
http://www.spnea.org/NEHM/NEWWSpringPage04.htm

http://www.memorialhall.mass.edu/activities/dressup/1700_woman.html has a presentation showing a woman dressing (starting with chemise only)... the second picture shows her with pockets and corset installed. Hover your mouse over the pockets for details on how they're assembled and a further description of how they're used.