Author Topic: Boys can make dolls, too.  (Read 12710 times)

Offline TheCraftyTitan

• Oni
Boys can make dolls, too.
« on: July 19, 2007, 04:40:09 am »
Well, I didn't really see an "introductions" area anywhere, so uh...hello to everyone! I am a fellow Portland congoer, since 2004, and in my spare time, I love to make plushies of all sorts of anime and game characters. Due to popular demand, I've decided to post some of my work here.

http://thecraftytitan.deviantart.com

Anyway, this isn't necessarily a shameless plug for my art. True, I love hearing what people think of my dolls, but I'm mainly posting this because I'm willing to accept commissions for plushies to make for people (well, that and some people told me to at the July meeting).

Also, I'm debating getting a table in the Artist's Alley at the 2008 Kumoricon. I would get one this year, but I've only been making dolls for a couple years now and I like to put lots of time and effort into them, so I don't have a whole lot of dolls to show off. Is this something I should pursue? i.e. if I had dolls for sale, would anyone buy them?

In the meantime, if anyone has a character they'd like made into a personalized doll, let me know somehow and we can try to work out a deal. I'd also just love to hear people's thoughts on my work.

I can't really think of much else to say here, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or hunt me down at the con. If you see a really tall Detective Gumshoe walking around, that's me.

Hope to hear back soon!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Re: Boys can make dolls, too.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:19:58 am »
Dude, I met you at the con meeting! I have to give a thumbs-up to any guy in a khaki trenchcoat who makes plushies. ^_^ It's totally not what people would expect at first glance.

I can't really say whether you'd have success at artist's alley... from the looks of it, your best source of customers would be obscure plushies that can't be found in the dealer room (or for some diehard fans, ones that can't be found anywhere, like the Pen-Pen plushie I mentioned). The problem there is that you'd have to take custom orders to really tap into the market, and those can't be done on the spot. :-\ (Though some people could be convinced to order at the con and have it shipped to them)

Here's my advice: find a friend with a table and beg them to display at least one of your plushies, if not more. I would also recommend that you supply a binder with a few photos, placing it in front of (or under) the display plushie.

Depending on the person and how much space you're asking them to lend you, it may be necessary to offer a little money for the use of a corner of their table. However, it would only be a small fraction of the cost of getting your own table. Doing so would be a perfect way to "feel out" the market. ^_^ That's my opinion, anyway.

P.S. -

<Off-topic> Be sure to find some Phoenix Wright cosplayers and hang out with them for pictures at the con!  Dick Gumshoe is hard to recognize if he isn't standing right next to them -- after all, he's SUPPOSED to look like a super-generic Private Eye. ;) </Off-topic>
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:30:50 am by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:22:26 am »
Is that a Rena Ryuuguu plushie I see in your siggy 0.o I want~! If you had that for sale or any Higurashi plushies actually I would buy them >.> If you had an artists alley booth I'd make some plushies for some popular anime that is out that plushies aren't already being sold for.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 01:43:54 pm »
I dont make dolls I make historic military minitueres and teddy bears with knives in there heads for kids in tough neaiborhoods.

I bet if you  watched the Repair booth for a few hours while vondan was woking the cosplay show sunday night or teaching his classes he would share his table
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:17:17 am »
I really like your dolls alot! I've just noticed that the trouble with the felt like fabric that you and others use it that is gets those little pills or bals of fabric after so long of being used.  So you can tell whena  doll has been loved ^^

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 02:57:26 am »
I really like your dolls alot! I've just noticed that the trouble with the felt like fabric that you and others use it that is gets those little pills or bals of fabric after so long of being used.  So you can tell whena  doll has been loved ^^

Yeah, I sorta have to agree with that too... also, it will absorb dirt and the like very easily. I think that's why most plushies are made of a more durable, less fuzzy material. Also, this is just a hunch, but I think people prefer plushies that lean towards the "chibi" side: short/thick arms and legs, big round heads, etc. I mention this because it might actually be easier to construct. (smaller, tighter sewing is tough)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:47:50 pm by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 07:14:39 pm »
Quite lovely, adorable work. PMing you now.....Very important!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Naleh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:02:33 am »
wow... those are some good plushies! If you do get a booth spot you'll probably get a visit from an ANBU who will want one. ^_^
K-con 08-
ANBU! (Rawr!)
Tobi :D

Remember kids! An apple a day, keeps the Shinigami sane!

Also please don't hate the plantman....Zetsu's a people person. (nomnomnom XD)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:45:07 pm »
Please also come by the "fanfic" room (Cedar), aka "the Creation Station," in which you will find TheCraftyTitan giving Dolly-Making workshops!!!

One is Saturday,  12:30-3, and one is Monday, 10:30a-1p.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 06:24:08 pm »
haha fan fic, shamless plug that is.

It sounds fun to get the right cosplays together for the certain fan fiction like you were talking about on saturday
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 10:25:43 pm »
thanks and yes that was fun.

derek, please know how very grateful i am for you pulling through with these workshops. i hope you will be back for future kumoricons (and also anywhere the creation station yahoo group is running a room), and i will do everything i can to have a more streamlined supply run process pre-con for you if i'm able to be involved in that!

and catgirl rin-rin, we miss you, get well soon!

Offline Ren+Pocky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 08:35:13 am »
>< So cuute! I love 'em, you do a really good job. =3

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:53:45 am »
HEY THREAD TITLE!

NO THEY CAN'T

>:-|

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:27 am »
I totally try to buy a plushie every year and handmade ones are even better than the storebought ones because mine is originaler.... and is made with love... ^_^

Offline Yunie_chan

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »
SO CUTE!!

Be prepared for many restocks - I will buy them all!! ><

Keep up the good work! ^^
NEXT CON: Kumoricon 2009

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 12:03:10 pm »
Hi I'm really hoping you will want to give dolly-making workshops in the fan creation programming rooms at Kumoricon again this year! Please please please! Creation Station has two rooms this year, and I promise we'll be on top of materials acquisition for you!

Please post here and/or PM me.
Much love
Rem/Ellen.

Offline TheCraftyTitan

• Oni
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 01:41:39 am »
*blows dust off account*

My, how long it's been. Didn't expect to hear the call to arms here...

Your timing is impeccable - I was actually about to contact you about this since the deadline is getting closer. Naturally, I'd love to do the dollmaking workshop again. I was amazed it went over as well as it did considering I was called in at nearly the last minute, so I think it'd do great now that I have time to prepare. The only catch is that I live in Tacoma now, so I can't attend any meetings and we'll have to coordinate everything by alternate methods until T minus one day when I get back to Portland.

I'm glad to hear that material gathering will be taken care of earlier on now. That was the last workshop's only flaw, in my opinion, but admittedly nobody could have predicted it so there's no need to do any finger-pointing. As long as we roll out and get what we need to get well in advance, I think we'll do just fine. I also have my own car now, so if there's a dire emergency, I could handle it myself and not need to trouble any of the staff.

But regardless, you can consider me on board for this year, and since Kumoricon holds a very special meaning to me, I'll be happy to do the workshop for as long as I'm afforded the opportunity. Thank you for letting me do it this year!

Now, a question for the masses: Does anyone have any requests or ideas for what I should cover? Last year's workshop gave me a lot to work with, but dollmaking is a broad profession and there's much to cover. Any input I can get here will give me more ammunition for the coming battle that will help me make it a better experience for everyone, so fire away!

Thanks again to everyone!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 01:44:18 pm »
Talk about impeccable timing!
Not half an hour ago I wrote to Jaki that I was hoping you'd confirm!

Here is what I'm wondering:

Do you think it would be possible for you to hold 3 sessions?

Two--for anyone

One--specificlly for younger kids and their parents, at a more relaxed space?

The reason is that Jaki (who is our wonderful Programming Director!)
would like us to have more programming that is totally comfortable for younger kids (say, 6-12).

Perhaps we could ask the con to get us some of those rounded-edge safety scissors like I remember from my kindergarten art box!! Oh and some of those art desk mats that are paint-resistant.....

What would you like as the amount of time per workshop for each?

Love you!!
Ellen

*blows dust off account*

My, how long it's been. Didn't expect to hear the call to arms here...

Your timing is impeccable - I was actually about to contact you about this since the deadline is getting closer. Naturally, I'd love to do the dollmaking workshop again. I was amazed it went over as well as it did considering I was called in at nearly the last minute, so I think it'd do great now that I have time to prepare. The only catch is that I live in Tacoma now, so I can't attend any meetings and we'll have to coordinate everything by alternate methods until T minus one day when I get back to Portland.

I'm glad to hear that material gathering will be taken care of earlier on now. That was the last workshop's only flaw, in my opinion, but admittedly nobody could have predicted it so there's no need to do any finger-pointing. As long as we roll out and get what we need to get well in advance, I think we'll do just fine. I also have my own car now, so if there's a dire emergency, I could handle it myself and not need to trouble any of the staff.

But regardless, you can consider me on board for this year, and since Kumoricon holds a very special meaning to me, I'll be happy to do the workshop for as long as I'm afforded the opportunity. Thank you for letting me do it this year!

Now, a question for the masses: Does anyone have any requests or ideas for what I should cover? Last year's workshop gave me a lot to work with, but dollmaking is a broad profession and there's much to cover. Any input I can get here will give me more ammunition for the coming battle that will help me make it a better experience for everyone, so fire away!

Thanks again to everyone!

Offline TheCraftyTitan

• Oni
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »
I see no harm in having three sessions. Having one for the young kids sounds like a good idea - maybe I could just show them how to make, say, a chibi-fied head or something instead of a complete body. It'll be a lot easier for them to grasp, and they'll have something that they can finish in the alotted time, since I doubt most of the kids will want to stay for hours and hours, and they'll want something tangible they can take home and show to their families.

Though I'm actually a bit worried about the fact that the panel is heavily centered around sewing. I've had some experience working with classes of kids in the age range in question, and I'm not sure children at the lower end of that spectrum will have the attention span or fine-motor skills to do down-and-dirty sewing, since it's meticulous work. Most of the time would probably be spent helping with threading needles and getting everyone up to speed, and I'd put money down on the fact that sooner or later someone would stab themselves with a needle, ruining everyone's day. Having safe tools is good, but you can't cut out all the sharp objects. While this sounds like a good idea, I think we'll need to use extreme caution and think outside the box if it's to go smoothly and retain an anime focus. With kids, there's a lot of potential for disaster.

Maybe what we can do is put together some pre-constructed heads for them, one for each child or parent/child team, each maybe about the size of a softball. (I'd say to go bigger, but then the cost of materials would skyrocket.) Then the kids could spend the panel making the hair, face and accessories. I think that'd be a good idea, since it takes the ugly grunt work out of it and lets them get straight to the fun part. Plus, there will be more of an emphasis on glue rather than needle & thread, so they'll be safer and more comfortable. What do you think of this idea? Maybe we can toss it back and forth a few times and get something figured out.

On the topic of time...I think 2 hours for each session is good. 3 is a bit too much, since the "classes" are usually pretty autonomous, and 1 isn't enough time. My only request is that they're not held during the opening or closing hours of Artists' Alley, since (the rest of you might be happy to hear this) I MAY be having a table there, with a selection of dolls for sale. Nothing's finalized yet, but if I do have a table, I want to make sure I'm there to start it up and shut it down each day.

Offline jkim7427

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »
OMG
you are AWESOME!!!!! >___<
MAKE ME ONE.o___O

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »
I agree with 100% of your post.

It's also okay to raise the low-end of the age range, or to say that kids under X age have to have their parent/guardian do the sewing.

But I don't see why we couldn't have 2 sessions of dolly-making for X age and up and then one for dolly-accessorizing (dolly-decorating sounds better) for X age and down.......

Or just have enough supplies so that if any chibis come, they can dolly-decorate, and if no chibis come, those assembled could dolly-make :)

I see no harm in having three sessions. Having one for the young kids sounds like a good idea - maybe I could just show them how to make, say, a chibi-fied head or something instead of a complete body. It'll be a lot easier for them to grasp, and they'll have something that they can finish in the alotted time, since I doubt most of the kids will want to stay for hours and hours, and they'll want something tangible they can take home and show to their families.

Though I'm actually a bit worried about the fact that the panel is heavily centered around sewing. I've had some experience working with classes of kids in the age range in question, and I'm not sure children at the lower end of that spectrum will have the attention span or fine-motor skills to do down-and-dirty sewing, since it's meticulous work. Most of the time would probably be spent helping with threading needles and getting everyone up to speed, and I'd put money down on the fact that sooner or later someone would stab themselves with a needle, ruining everyone's day. Having safe tools is good, but you can't cut out all the sharp objects. While this sounds like a good idea, I think we'll need to use extreme caution and think outside the box if it's to go smoothly and retain an anime focus. With kids, there's a lot of potential for disaster.

Maybe what we can do is put together some pre-constructed heads for them, one for each child or parent/child team, each maybe about the size of a softball. (I'd say to go bigger, but then the cost of materials would skyrocket.) Then the kids could spend the panel making the hair, face and accessories. I think that'd be a good idea, since it takes the ugly grunt work out of it and lets them get straight to the fun part. Plus, there will be more of an emphasis on glue rather than needle & thread, so they'll be safer and more comfortable. What do you think of this idea? Maybe we can toss it back and forth a few times and get something figured out.

On the topic of time...I think 2 hours for each session is good. 3 is a bit too much, since the "classes" are usually pretty autonomous, and 1 isn't enough time. My only request is that they're not held during the opening or closing hours of Artists' Alley, since (the rest of you might be happy to hear this) I MAY be having a table there, with a selection of dolls for sale. Nothing's finalized yet, but if I do have a table, I want to make sure I'm there to start it up and shut it down each day.

Offline lolanime

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 06:14:11 am »
I really don't think young children should be around sharp objects such as sewing needles and scissors. Even though the conventions policies state that the convention and its affiliates are not liable for damages, theft, injuries, or loss, I doubt the convention would run smoothly after someones precious little angel jabs a pair of scissors in their eye and the parents blame TheCraftyTitan and Kumoricon. I seriously think Programming and the Creation Station should reconsider a doll making workshop for small children due to the fact that children don't have the motor skills and attention span necessary to perform a monotonous task such as hand sewing a whole doll.

I also object to a doll decorating workshop due to the fact that TheCraftyTitan labors over his dolls meticulously. I also know that his dolls can get into the hundreds of dollars, which means making heads for dolls that 1) may never be used at all or 2) he will watch be absolutely destroyed with glitter glue and sharpies would not be a pretty sight. If it were up to me, small children would not be allowed at conventions, but since they have to be because its a 'family' convention, here is a list of things I think are more suited for children.

--A coloring workshop where children do a color book-esque art sheet of a select few characters, maybe even the mascot of the year, and previous years
--Story time from an all ages manga such as pokemon, doraemon, or card captor sakura.
--A live action play of examples above aimed at children.
--perhaps hand puppet making instead of doll making of the childrens favorite character where they can use paper bags, yarn, glue, and safety scissors
--Children writing their own fan fiction/taking turns making a story
--all ages video game section

I came up with these in five minutes, hopefully you like them enough to change your mind about having TCT do a childrens doll panel.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 10:28:47 am »
No worries.  We want to run a room that has no worries.
Derek, just tell me what you want to have the minimum age be for participation in your classes, and whenever you fill out your panel form for the workshop (which is due by June meeting; please remember to CC it to me!)
simply indicate that minimum age on there. You can have it be as high as you want. Maybe 12?

I agree with the above concerns. Jaki simply had singled out teddy bear felting and dolly making as some of the only content we had last year that was of great appeal to younger participants.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:32:23 am by RemSaverem »

Offline TheCraftyTitan

• Oni
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 10:38:07 pm »
My apologies about the late reply. I've been bedridden for quite some time...

Anyway...lolanime actually brings up some good points. While I do enjoy working with kids and I'd love to see them let their creative juices flow at a dollmaking panel of their own, after some careful thought, I just don't think it's a good idea. There's no way to totally eliminate sewing from the plan while still holding the panel's focus on dollmaking. Even a decorating panel would be iffy because glue and tape can only go so far, and I won't have the time to put together blank heads or bodies since I'm going to be quite busy making wares for an Artists' Alley table. And I didn't even think about what would happen down the line if someone got hurt. So unfortunately, I must respectfully decline running a children's dollmaking panel. Hopefully you all understand where I'm coming from on this.

I do not believe the issue is one of age, but rather one of maturity. I don't want to say "ages __ and up only", because what if some little 11-year-old Chiyo-chan child prodigy comes along and wants to expand on his or her sewing skills? I say the dollmaking panels should be open to all, but that it be made known that there is a heavy emphasis on sewing. Perhaps just a note in the panel's description, with a "recommended for ages 12 and up". That way it will keep the little tykes out while allowing us to make exceptions as needed.

Understandably, though, Kumoricon will need appropriate programming if it is indeed aiming to cater to children. Have any of the other proposed ideas been taken into consideration? Personally, I think the "take turns making a story" idea sounds like a lot of fun. I'd certainly be willing to help with that, or perhaps another activity if needed.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 11:47:55 am »
I was kind of hoping that we could go with 10 and up?

I totally remember being very responsible in art class by about 3rd grade (age 8) and actually in 5th grade (age 10) graduated elementary school early so was appointed to help teach kindergarten (really), and even those kids were basically fine with the rounded scissors (not the same as needles though).

For the story idea, write chibihentaichan@gmail.com, or just get on the_creation_station@yahoogroups.com

Blessings!

PS Pm me let me know how you're doing in your health.
Meantime here is a Tibetan Buddhist healing mantra for you, Om bekandzey bekandzey mahabekandzey raza sa mud gate swoha, may you be free from illness and negative energy.

Offline TheCraftyTitan

• Oni
Back for another round!
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 11:13:35 pm »
Hey - pardon the dusty thread, but I thought I'd use it to give a quick shout out. The Dolly-Making workshop will be returning for another bout this year!

I'll be teaching people the basics of making their own original plush dolls in the Creation Station. No sewing experience is necessary, so visitors of all skill levels are welcome. Those of you new to sewing can get a running start on making plushies, and those with some dolls already under their belt can bring their stumpers to me and we'll work things out. We'll supply everything, as long as you bring an open mind!

Any questions or comments can be posted here or e-mailed to me directly. I want this panel to be everything the last one was, and more!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Back for another round!
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:04 pm »
Hey - pardon the dusty thread, but I thought I'd use it to give a quick shout out. The Dolly-Making workshop will be returning for another bout this year!

I'll be teaching people the basics of making their own original plush dolls in the Creation Station. No sewing experience is necessary, so visitors of all skill levels are welcome. Those of you new to sewing can get a running start on making plushies, and those with some dolls already under their belt can bring their stumpers to me and we'll work things out. We'll supply everything, as long as you bring an open mind!

Any questions or comments can be posted here or e-mailed to me directly. I want this panel to be everything the last one was, and more!

Please come! We have plenty of supplies, and everyone leaves smiling :)
And this year, your dollies (and teddy bears made or decorated in our Fandom Bears panels!) can "perform" for prizes in Kumoricon's Cuddly Cosplay event! (see separate thread)