Author Topic: Do not post Harry Potter spoilers!  (Read 14484 times)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Do not post Harry Potter spoilers!
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:07:49 am »
Most, if not all of you don't need to be told this, but in case there is one person who does need to be told:

DO NOT POST OR LINK TO SPOILERS FOR THE NEW HARRY POTTER BOOK!

You will get banned for this.

If anybody sees this occur anywhere, in PM even, please use the "Report This Post" button and we'll get on it.

For some reason some people think it's a big deal when they can't enjoy the book without already knowing the ending. You may think that's dumb but when you spoil the ending the only thing you've done is shown how much of a dick you are. So don't. I won't tolerate anyone who can't respect the boundaries of others.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Do not post Harry Potter spoilers!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:54 am »
yay no spoilers for jaz-chan!!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 12:33:45 am »
If you must tell some one go ahead and PM me, I dont care if i'm spoiled.  I have only read the first one and will some day read them all when i find the last 4 for $1 or less then sit down for a few days.  Having read the first one I'll just say I apreciate JKR  getting lots of kids to read but I have about 20 milk crates of other books I want to read first
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:48:22 pm »
Just turn your computer off now.  There's nowhere safe.  Even the comment threads on youtube are being spammed with HP spoilers. 

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:24:32 pm »
I've pretty much cut my internet surfing in half because of all the stories I've heard.  At work people were even talking about receiving emails with spoilers in them.  Thankfully none of the people there said any spoilers.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:15:03 pm »
people who do that are scum!

Offline Malachi_Lestat

• Cabbit
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mrsheeroyuy
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:12:09 am »
http://sesshomarulove.deviantart.com/journal/13800469/

This is my already made rant about this particular subject. it's got kind of colorful language

DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY COLORFUL LANGUAGE AKA CUSSING OR CURSING

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 08:10:40 am »
I don't understand why people feel the need to spoil stuff like that.. I mean if you have no interest in the subject or don't care if you get spoiled then MOVE ON.  It's like why do people feel the urge to become obsessed with spoling it for others?

Jerks

And sometimes it is your friends who accidentaly spoil it too that is the worst part.  And they always say "Oh you'll never read/play/watch it" >/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 08:12:27 am by leashy »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 12:34:06 pm »
that is the only time i willgive spoilers to peeps is if they tel me they'll never watch or read
like with fma spoilers some one told me i kept from my friend who was watching and the 6th sence spoilw\er  i kept from my mom but i have told her some potter ones before cuz she no read the books n the movies leave out stuff

Offline hitokiri

• Cabbit
    • My myspace
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 03:50:57 pm »
my copy of it hasn't even arrived in the mail yet!
Yes, no spoilers please! >_< (I'm totally un-spoiled as of now and I want to keep it that way)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 08:32:23 pm »
I certainly don't mind that there are rules against spoilers, but I have actually never been one to understand avoiding spoilers. Personally what I hate is SUSPENSE. It is the same kind of awful feeling in the pit of my stomach as a roller coaster provides. Can't stand it. When I was a kid, my favorite author was Agatha Christie, particularly her Hercule Poirot murder mysteries. But I read them the same way every time: I would read the first chapter, to get a feel for the author's "set up" of the plot and characters. Then I would read the last chapter, wherein the detective would explicate not only whodunnit but how they did it and, most of interest to me, how he sussed it out amongst all the other possibilities.  *Then* I would go back and start from page one and read it straight through to the end, able to relax and enjoy the artistry of the author for she developed her characters and settings, how little red hairings would lead readers temporarily to false conclusions, etc., without what I would otherwise experience as the stress of suspense. I actually believe that having utilized this approach led me to become a better beta reader of fanfiction in the future, in the sense that I wasn't reading for what I was going to think of the outcome of the plot, but for appreciation of the craft in pulling together the plot with which I'd already familiarized myself. To this day I'm still the same way with almost everything I read, and I feel zero shame about it. Whatever makes me have the most comfortable and fulfilling reading experience is what I'm after, regardless what others might think about it. Granted, no one else is involved in this process, I'm only reading it to myself. But there is just so much anti-spoiler venom out there that I wanted to speak as one who actually not only doesn't mind spoilers, but is slightly befuddled why they are so hated by others, because she actively seeks them out. For example when the various Whedonverse shows were still on the air, the person with whom I watched them in episodic order, Larry, would keep me apprised of the industry gossip he found online (myself having no computer) about what financial/industry forces might make the author and producer close the storyline prematurely, and we in particular would look for spoilers regarding where the author and producer intended the plot to go next if allowed the time, and what shortcuts he might take if forced to end prematurely.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:48:58 am »
kendo boyfriend finished it last night (i haven't) he started to say somthing that would give hints this was our conversation edited to rated G

me: "SHUT UP
kendo boyfriend: "what it wasn't going to ruin anything!"
me: "do you like having *blank*?
kendo boyfriend:"yes"
me:" then if you want to ever have *blank* again, shut up"

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 12:01:31 pm »
I certainly don't mind that there are rules against spoilers, but I have actually never been one to understand avoiding spoilers. Personally what I hate is SUSPENSE. It is the same kind of awful feeling in the pit of my stomach as a roller coaster provides. Can't stand it. When I was a kid, my favorite author was Agatha Christie, particularly her Hercule Poirot murder mysteries. But I read them the same way every time: I would read the first chapter, to get a feel for the author's "set up" of the plot and characters. Then I would read the last chapter, wherein the detective would explicate not only whodunnit but how they did it and, most of interest to me, how he sussed it out amongst all the other possibilities.  *Then* I would go back and start from page one and read it straight through to the end, able to relax and enjoy the artistry of the author for she developed her characters and settings, how little red hairings would lead readers temporarily to false conclusions, etc., without what I would otherwise experience as the stress of suspense. I actually believe that having utilized this approach led me to become a better beta reader of fanfiction in the future, in the sense that I wasn't reading for what I was going to think of the outcome of the plot, but for appreciation of the craft in pulling together the plot with which I'd already familiarized myself. To this day I'm still the same way with almost everything I read, and I feel zero shame about it. Whatever makes me have the most comfortable and fulfilling reading experience is what I'm after, regardless what others might think about it. Granted, no one else is involved in this process, I'm only reading it to myself. But there is just so much anti-spoiler venom out there that I wanted to speak as one who actually not only doesn't mind spoilers, but is slightly befuddled why they are so hated by others, because she actively seeks them out. For example when the various Whedonverse shows were still on the air, the person with whom I watched them in episodic order, Larry, would keep me apprised of the industry gossip he found online (myself having no computer) about what financial/industry forces might make the author and producer close the storyline prematurely, and we in particular would look for spoilers regarding where the author and producer intended the plot to go next if allowed the time, and what shortcuts he might take if forced to end prematurely.

Ack! I'm suffocating under a giant block of unformatted text!
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline manekineko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:18:21 pm »
Haha... you guys are lame, it wasn't that long.

Anyways I read all of what you wrote Rem and I think that's really neat. I'm all about getting the utmost enjoyment out of a book so whatever works for you is cool. I, on the other hand, love the thrill of suspense so spoilers do exactly that: spoil the whole book for me.

By the way everybody, go buy HP now. It was EPIC... that's all I shall say.

I'm just sad that this was the last book. I will never again read a new HP book... weird.
Absolute '07 Cosplay
Rukia School Uniform - Bleach
Android 18 - DBZ
Kairi - KH2
I think, haha...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 07:29:34 pm »
Thanks.
I wonder why she didn't want to continue the franchise. It would have been so easy to spin it off into perpetua, just following other students or teachers
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 08:58:24 pm »

Yeah when i was 12 I read War and Peace and that was 2000 pages.

I wonder why she didn't want to continue the franchise. It would have been so easy to spin it off into perpetua, just following other students or teachers

I had an idea for hogwart's magic College but the only thing I remember was it had Myrtle and the Evil Sarority was House Sleezerin
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline COMaestro

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 11:13:49 pm »
Thanks.

In interviews I've seen her mention that she'll "never say never" about further books in the Potter world. I think she's just content with the storyline she has finished and is looking forward to sitting back and enjoying her billions  :)
Superjaz's Kendo Husband

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 02:00:14 am »
I'm trying to make this post pretty spoiler-free, so here we go:

I finished Deathly Hallows a couple of days ago. There were points that were just torture because Rowling quickly shows that the danger is very real in book 7, then puts you in gripping suspense over who may be in mortal peril next. Fortunately, there are breathers. :)

But I read them the same way every time: I would read the first chapter, to get a feel for the author's "set up" of the plot and characters. Then I would read the last chapter, wherein the detective would explicate not only whodunnit but how they did it and, most of interest to me, how he sussed it out amongst all the other possibilities.  *Then* I would go back and start from page one and read it straight through to the end

I did a variation of this. During most of my adolescence, I would go to the very end of the book and read the very last sentence before starting the book. However, the reason I did this was because it almost always told me nothing conclusive about the story. ;) It was occasionally interesting, however, to see how it got to that point.

A warning, though: the very last line of Deathly Hollows gives away some very important information. Namely, whether or not Harry survives. So don't try my trick unless you want to know that. Fortunately, it doesn't spoil much else (if anything).

If you must tell some one go ahead and PM me, I dont care if i'm spoiled.  I have only read the first one and will some day read them all when i find the last 4 for $1 or less then sit down for a few days.  Having read the first one I'll just say I apreciate JKR  getting lots of kids to read but I have about 20 milk crates of other books I want to read first

You'll be in for a much shorter wait if you just check them out from the library. It'll be difficult to check them all out right now, especially book 7, but eventually things will die down and you'll have the whole series at your fingertips for free.

Thanks.

Rowling's stated that she plans to write a Harry Potter Encyclopedia after she takes a breather from book 7. She also said that many of the minor characters have interesting stories that didn't get told. So it'll be more than just a fictional reference book: it'll have bits of story scattered about. :)

In particular I'll be looking forward to hearing about what Ginny, Luna, and Neville did whilst off-camera in certain parts of Deathly Hallows. I love all three of them, but they had to share screentime with a lot of other supporting characters.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:03:23 am by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 09:51:28 pm »

Anyways I read all of what you wrote Rem and I think that's really neat. I'm all about getting the utmost enjoyment out of a book so whatever works for you is cool. I, on the other hand, love the thrill of suspense so spoilers do exactly that: spoil the whole book for me.

By the way everybody, go buy HP now. It was EPIC... that's all I shall say.

I'm just sad that this was the last book. I will never again read a new HP book... weird.

Same here! I just finished it (in record time) and I must say, it WAS epic!

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Malachi_Lestat

• Cabbit
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mrsheeroyuy
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 04:13:18 pm »
I think that we should use epic to describe this book as EPIC rather than epic. seeing as.... well it was EPIC
*dies*
I may have to read it again just to grasp the EPIC-ness of it.