Author Topic: Dis-arming Air-soft  (Read 2668 times)

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
Dis-arming Air-soft
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:14:34 pm »
Props and Weapons

Props3 are a great way to enhance cosplay. Many props are considered valuable enhancements to a costume, and will be allowed in as such. If you have any props, proceed to the peace bonding station immediately after checking in. The staff will determine if your prop is acceptable within the Convention Space4. Props which are not allowed within the convention space include, but are not limited to:
Air-soft or projectile weapons

I know that this says that air-soft or projectile weapons are not allowed. However, it doesn't state whether or not disarmed air-soft or projectile weapons are allowed or not.

By disarmed, I mean they do not (under any circumstance) function as an air-soft or projectile weapon any longer. I recently purchased an air-soft P.38 for my Lupin III cosplay with the intent on cealing the barrel and snapping the trigger, however, I do not want to do this (I do partake in MilSims using air-soft) without knowning before hand if the disarmed (almost better stated as, former or dead) air-soft replica P.38 will be suitable for peace bonding.

?
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: Dis-arming Air-soft
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:34:14 pm »
I can't answer this one for you officially, but I'm going to assume unless it's permanently disarmed (like I did with mine, said below) it probably wouldn't be allowed. Though I'm also wondering that as I have one that I've disarmed and filled the inside with a mix of hot glue and epoxy. I'll have to bring it up at the meeting on Sunday.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:56:13 am »
Like Trumby said, we'll bring it up at the meeting Sunday.

However, when you say "snap the tirgger" do you mean snapping the trigger completely off so its just not there anymore?

I believe the reason they're disallowing airsoft is not just the shootiness of them, but the fact that most are such faithful replicas that it becomes a security risk even when peace bonded. Even if the barrel was glued shut and it has no trigger, yojimbo and security personel will not be able to tell that from down the hall. They'll just see a guy with a gun.

The allowed guns will need to have the danger orange muzzel tip at the very least. Something I suppose would be easy enough to do if you were glueing your gun closed already.

We will bring this up at the meeting on Sunday. Keep an eye on the forum Sunday night, it might make it into the minutes if you don't see an answer here right away.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:26:34 am »
Per the con policies, Airsoft is completely prohibited. That is not just the hotel's policy, that's Kumoricon's policy. No Airsoft, no exceptions. Any Airsoft weapon we find, regardless of its state, will be confiscated.

Oh yeah, please post questions in the right forum. I usually ignore Cosplay Chat while I jump on any topic I find in Help, Suggestions, Complaints right away.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:30:34 am by guspasho »
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:25:44 pm »
Just as a quick note, I hope no one minds if I add this, red guns are actually very easy to make look convincing but not TOO convincing. This is the gun I use for my Riza Hawkeye cosplay and the staff at Sakuracon didn't have a problem with it:

It's also the gun I'm posing with in my avatar. I just put orange electrical tape on the tip and a piece on the grip so it'd be fairly obvious at a glance that I can't hurt anyone with it...well I guess I could if I threw it...anyways, I digress.

I got mine here, but if you just google red gun or blue gun, it should be easy enough to find. My first one I hand painted silver with brushes but my dad and I discovered that chrome spray paint works MUCH better. Just put masking tape over the parts you don't want chrome colored.

Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:07:57 am »
I'm going to take a guess and say that, based on those pics, those guns WILL get confiscated. But I'm not a Yojimbo, and I'm not Brownie.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:50:09 am »
I am not as sure. Knowing that it is made of solid plastic and has no moving parts, as long as it has the orange tip and peacebonding and a yojimbo has identified that it is by no means a threat, it should be ok. BUT the final say will be up to Brownie.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 01:14:23 pm »
Well like I said, Sakura-con security didn't have a problem with it they way I marked it.

Here's a better pic of the way it was marked for Sakura-con:

As an extra precaution I put a piece of orange tape on the grip so even when it was holstered it was easily identified as a fake.
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...