Author Topic: Does anyone here play a trading card game?  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Zetsu4200

• Cabbit
Does anyone here play a trading card game?
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:39:05 pm »
Just curious, does anyone here play a trading card game? If so what games do you play?  Where do you play? For fun or tourney?

I play:
Yugioh
Magic the Gathering
Naruto
Bleach (Learning)
World of Warcraft (Learning)
If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:20:56 pm »
I've thought of trying it out but most the major ones have so many cards out now that I'm not sure how much its worth starting as a newbie.  That and sense I really don't know that many people its usually only fun with friends (but thats just me I guess)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:21:58 pm »
I used to play Magic..quit right around Urza's Legacy, though I still have all my cards.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »
I used to play Pokémon, even won a couple of tournaments, but then it stopped being fun for me. Everyone had massive power decks and it was like playing the same person over and over again.

Although I bought a pack of DP cards the other day because they brought back flavor text.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 02:05:54 am »
I guess you could technically count Pirates of the Spanish Main, which I play from time to time. It's a model-based strategy game, but the models are punched out from plastic cards that have their stats on them. I mostly just liked collecting the boats, though. Right now I have more than I know what to do with (or, at least, more of the boring European boats than I would like :P).

Like so many geeks and anime fans, I am a former Magic: The Gathering junkie. However, I mostly just played it because I liked the idea of a trading card game, and it was the one everybody played the most. I got tired of it when they got to the point where each new edition trumped the old one and forced you to get the newer, more powerful cards (i.e., right about when the Flashback ability came around).

I still have a couple of decks, but I haven't touched them in months or years. I might play with them if someone requested it, but I'm not buyin' anymore. :P Oh, and I'm never going to bring Magic cards to a convention, period.

That's about it. These days, I'm not interested in new trading card games. I much prefer standalone card games, because they tend to give everybody a fair shot at winning, and it's possible to start a game with anyone on the fly.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 07:23:25 am »
What type of stand alone card games do you like to play?

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 04:26:55 pm »
I play uhh....
~Magic The Gathering #1
~Pokemon
~UFS from time to time.
I know how to play Dual masters and yu-gi-oh also.
oh and...Munchkins ^_^
I Don't Write Words I Draw Letters O_o
Current Cosplay Idea's
~Albel Nox(Star Ocean:TOT)(Remaking)
~Testament(Guilty Gear)(Remaking)
~Aliot(Ragnarok Online)(Planning..Probably wont make its appearance at Kumori-con)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 03:16:10 pm »
Magic
and
Magi-Nation (I'm still waiting for it to make some kind of come back.  I really liked it.)

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 03:27:03 pm »
I've got some magic cards back when they had shadow hehe. as well  some of the newer ones around the time when they came out with the machines =\. as you see i am not a big into i havent played at in the last... 3 years (high school)
i aslo barrowed someones deck and played yu-gi-ho a couple of times but thats about it. cause they were only ones that i ever saw in school and also didnt realy like the yu-gi-ho limited stuff :P.
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 03:35:33 am »
Quote from: "jasonqdavis"
What type of stand alone card games do you like to play?

Mostly Munchkin and Ninja Burger. Apples to Apples is fun, too, but it's more of a party game than a card game. I can't think of any others at the moment, but that's because I just got back from a 4-day SCA event this weekend and I'm beat.

I like standalone card games because they eliminate boards. Board games are expensive, and it's usually because the boards aren't nearly as necessary as people used to think they were.

Apollo Justice

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 07:26:08 am »
oooohhhh.  Its been about two years sense the last SCA event I went to.  When I was down in california we would always go to the Great Western War and May Potrero War.

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:53:01 am »
I got hooked on cigarettes after playing Smokemon as a child!  Damn you, Phillip Morris!

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Re: Does anyone here play a trading card game?
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 02:18:11 pm »
Heh, I quit playing Magic around the time Torment or Judgment came out.  But now, as I work in a gaming store, I get the added fun fun of playing every single day.  Bleh.  :-\

A note for any of you Magic junkies who still play: 10th Edition came out today (Friday 13th).  Tomorrow is International Magic Playing Day.  They're having pack wars all day, and some special shiny cards.  :D  So, if you're still into playing, or just want something to do for a Saturday, call up your local shop and see if they are participating.  If I remember correctly, the first 8 people get in free.  But we already have a line outside of our shop and it's 3pm.  We don't open until noon tomorrow, so good luck on that shot.  ;)
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:50:25 pm »
I love Magic the Gathering, but My favorite deck is far from legal since I have alot of OLD cards in there. My favorite is my Mortivore Getes a +1/+1 for every creature card in every graveyard and has a one swamp regeneration cost, and he only costs six mana or so to bring out. :D

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:24:33 pm »
i had a realy good card one time... but someone stole it >:( high schoolers  >.>)
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 10:10:46 pm »
It just seems to me the older a card game has been out like Magic the harder it really is for somebody new to get in.  I could be totaly wrong but with all the past version and the new one and combinations of new rules and all.  I really miss when it first came out.  It was so simple back then.   :'(  I just wish something new would come out with the power than Magic had back then.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 03:55:12 am »
i had a realy good card one time... but someone stole it >:( high schoolers  >.>)

Someone stole my entire collection, once. High schoolers. :P

It just seems to me the older a card game has been out like Magic the harder it really is for somebody new to get in.  I could be totaly wrong but with all the past version and the new one and combinations of new rules and all.  I really miss when it first came out.  It was so simple back then.   :'(  I just wish something new would come out with the power than Magic had back then.

Well, yes and no...

Awhile back, I had a brief resurgence in my interest in Magic. This was before Kumori Con, you see, and the people who founded Kumori Con -- some of whom were living in the same house at the time -- were doing other things to occupy their free time and spark social interaction. One of those things was Magic tournaments. About that time, I bought back into Magic, and the first thing I did was buy a 7th Edition starter set.

The upside was that Wizards of the Coast made the 7th starter set so simple and well-explained that anybody could learn it.

The downside was that all the cards in the preconstructed deck sucked.

So basically, you could learn all the rules quite quickly... and just well enough to know what happened when you lose. :D Once you'd gotten past the basics, though, learning what's required in order to construct a good deck could be a really tedious process.

As an alternative, you could just play casually with friends... however, most people like to improve their skills -- subsequently winning a little more often. That's not possible if you don't add and remove cards from your deck, which often requires buying into other Magic editions. It's a vicious cycle. It's also why I now swear by standalone card games, like Munchkin. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:02:07 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline hitokiri

• Cabbit
    • My myspace
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 11:20:49 am »
I got hooked on cigarettes after playing Smokemon as a child!  Damn you, Phillip Morris!
lmao...

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »
The only game I sorta play now is World of Warcraft TCG... But back in the day I played Dragonball Z/GT CCG/TCG and Magic, the Gathering. I had a little Yu-Gi-Oh! experience under my belt and a couple other games I played once or twice.

I've also created two different card games... A Neon Genesis Evangelion CCG (fan made) that I lost the information to when my hard driver literally stopped working. I'm glad I have the information somewhere out there and REALLY need to pull it all back and get back to working on that. I am also working on a totally original game that's pretty interesting, trying to capture the experience of playing an RPG. This one is a little more difficult to work with, but I'm already enjoying it.

If ANYONE is interested in any of those games feel free to message me with question and/or comments. *Shameless plug: Inserted*
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 05:14:59 pm »
I have a 30 pound box of CCG should I bring it
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 05:39:15 pm »
MTG is about all I do some weeks >_> put on some anime and start building decks.

Just picked up a case of Tenth Edition too.
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D