Author Topic: Good (Nearby) Ramen places!!!  (Read 6004 times)

Offline Sarutobi_Asuma

• Sailor Scout
Good (Nearby) Ramen places!!!
« on: August 25, 2004, 07:38:11 pm »
I was thinking of bringing some cup noodles for food after the con and stuff like that, but whats the fun in that? so does anyone know of any good chinese or japanese retaurants in the area with good ramen or udon?? preferably cheap... wanna save some cash back for swag and kinokuniya!!!!!
*is willing to ninja duel anyone who challenges*

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 08:45:04 pm »
There's a place downtown (around 8th maybe?) called Happy Bowl. I've never been in.

Best Ramen in the area is out by Uwajimaya, called Noodle me. It's out of the way and a little expensive but the bowls are HUGE and the stuff is wonderful, especially their gyoza. They provide bowls of soy nuts for dinner too!

If any of you are stopping by Uwajimaya and have the time I suggest that you take the time to have some ramen at Noodle me.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.mphpress.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 11:40:58 pm »
I second the recommendation of Noodle Me. One of my favorite restaurants, with beef curry udon to die for. And if you;ve visitng the portland area for an anime con, it;'s worth your while to come a little early (or stay a little late) and go out to Beaverrton for a trip to uwajimaya and the attached Kyokuniya bookstore. the latter has a superb selection of English-lanagaueg and Japanese-langauage manga, and uwajimaya has everything from Pocky to improted rice (and improited rice cookers!) to sashimi. My friend Bob's late cat Meifong (I suggested the name after the heroine of Angel Links -- "I want to be a free cat that eats a lot!" -- adored the fresh tuna.

Happy Bowl is only open on weekdays, and will be closed on Labor Day as well because it is a holiday. Their ramne is medicore, but they do make a pretty good beefbowl. I always ask for no vegetebales -- just a slight garnish of green onion. They mainly cater to downtown workers coming down for a quick, cheap lunch.
Michael Hopcroft Press
http://www.mphpress.com

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:16:03 am »
Does anyone know any good udon places within a short walking distance of the Con? (I'm going to be too busy to really have time to go down to Beaverton.)
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Sarutobi_Asuma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 02:17:42 pm »
If anyone plans on going to Noodle Me (i think i drove past that place once or twice... so i kinda know the area...) take me with you!!!! :cry:

noodles are nice
*is willing to ninja duel anyone who challenges*

Offline trinket

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 08:20:45 pm »
while were on the subject of food what about sushi? anywhere close to the convention?

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.mphpress.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 08:42:32 pm »
Quote from: "trinket"
while were on the subject of food what about sushi? anywhere close to the convention?

It's probably not great sushi, but the Safeway at SW 10th & Jefferson has a sushi bar.

If you're willing to spend a lot of money, Todai at pioneer Place mall has all-you-can-eat sushi and sashimi in addition to other Japanese specialties.

There are many other places in Downtown Portland to get sushi that should be open over the weekend. If you buy only a few pieces, the price isn;t that bad.
Michael Hopcroft Press
http://www.mphpress.com

Offline Reina

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 01:27:54 pm »
Theres a resteraunt named Koji downtown...dunno if its in walking distance, but the prices are reasonable and the foods really good. :oops: I'm so bad with direction....
Set loose your Inner Sakura!

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 08:46:56 pm »
Quote from: "Sarutobi_Asuma"
If anyone plans on going to Noodle Me (i think i drove past that place once or twice... so i kinda know the area...) take me with you!!!! :cry:

noodles are nice

If you can direct us we will definetely take you up on that. Look for The Anbu Itachi at the con and we can talk about then we want to go.

Offline sukotto

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 10:17:17 pm »
Is Noodle Me the one my a anime type shop if so I have been there before. it was great, but I was in the area and happened to drive pass but does anyone have the address??

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 10:31:22 pm »
I have the address.

10761 SW Beaverton Hillsdale
Beaverton, OR 97005-3010
Phone: (503) 641-8054

Maybe I should give it a try sooner or later...
Especially considering it's only few minute walk from where I live(lol)
REAL ramen should be hand made. But I can't see that happening in US.... at least not yet anyway. :D
-A.I-

Offline sukotto

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 11:07:39 pm »
I think I might see if there open on Sunday, I might be going that way tommarrow.

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004, 01:53:30 am »
If you're feeling in the luxurious mood (yes, I know most people are poor, as am I) I highly recommend Madame Butterfly, it's on NW Stark and 4th.  They have a very good sushi selection, great cocktails, and an awesome array of entrees and tempura.  It is more expensive, we ended up spending ~$30 a person.  If you don't go for the cocktails, it's more reasonable.  This is where we held the Guest Dinner this year, and we held it in their tatami room, it was very traditional, and the green tea ice cream was top notch.
~Sean Larson~