Author Topic: Coming in from Greyhound Station  (Read 4068 times)

Fireball

Coming in from Greyhound Station
« on: August 25, 2004, 07:31:25 am »
Hi all!

I'm going to be coming into town via greyhound. Is anyone familiar enough with the area to know which station is closest to the convention? I've never been to portland before (grew up in Springfield though!) and i'm not sure how to navigate the area at all. Would I be able to catch a bus to the area, or would I be better off taking a taxi?

Thanks very much for your help!

Offline celticangel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 09:29:01 am »
There are busses, but from the looks of it, you spend far more time walking than on the bus (it's less than 15-20 minutes total trip, though). If you're going to have a lot to carry, I suggest the taxi route.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 02:42:04 pm »
OK, your best bet is to go to tri-met.org and look at the maps.

The Tri-Met bus mall in Portland goes right around the Greyhound depot. The 54 bus goes right by the hotel by about a block.

If you don't want to get a cab (the best idea for practicality) then I suggest you get on whichever bus leaves the stop first and take it down the few blocks to the MAX line. The tri-met stop is right behind the bus depot. Once at the MAX line you can take it East to Yamhill (just a few stops). That is the closest stop to the Hotel.

You can also just walk three blocks to the Old Town China Town stop and ride the MAX down to the Yamhill stop (only it'll be named different because you'll be westbound). That gets you just as close.

It all depends on how big.many bags you're bringing. Just a suitcase and backpack would be fine on a bus. Any more and you'd be better off getting a cab. Sinc the ride is so short you'll only be paying the minimum charge. Here's a good local taxi company.

Radio Cab
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline celticangel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 03:45:13 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"

You can also just walk three blocks to the Old Town China Town stop and ride the MAX down to the Yamhill stop (only it'll be named different because you'll be westbound). That gets you just as close.

It's SW Oak & 1st for Westbound. There is no direct equivilent for the Wesbound for Yahmill. It just doesn't exsist. Oak and 1st is the closest.

Whether the MAX is taken, or just buses, there's still a fair amount of walking involved, especially if carrying luggage.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 06:43:49 pm »
It's a 1.30 mile trek between the Greyhound station and the Con.  So, unless you're carrying a lot of baggage, it's really not that far. (I walk at least two miles a day on average.)

But yeah, if you see me at the Greyhound Station, say hello! ^.^ (I should be getting in around 2-3pm on Friday.)
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 08:40:48 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

But yeah, if you see me at the Greyhound Station, say hello! ^.^ (I should be getting in around 2-3pm on Friday.)

I'll say hi when you get to the Hotel!
Be sure to walk over to the OldTown/China Town station and ride the Cool Thingy for a few blocks!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 10:33:25 pm »
Ooh!  Cool thingies! ^.^

How much do they cost? ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Fireball

Thank you so much!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 09:58:03 am »
Thanks, everyone, for your help! I think I may be getting a ride after all, but I've printed up your instructions and bookmarked the maps for a plan B, also i'm sure it will come in handy if the con is held there again next year.

*hug* hope I see you all there! I'll be the short fat goth-looking person with the rainbow streaked hair.