Author Topic: I am an Anime Con Newbie  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Zetsu4200

• Cabbit
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« on: June 04, 2007, 08:35:10 pm »
Hello, I am new to the whole anime convention thing and would like it if anyone could give some insight on how to make the best of my time at Kumoricon this year.  I do plan to cosplay as Gin Ichimaru from Bleach, but other than that and taking pictures of everyone else's awesome costumes, I don't know how make my con exerience the best it could possibly be.  Thank you for any and all the help you may provide.
If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Offline kyonichi

• Sailor Scout
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:46:46 pm »
Lol...  I've only been to one con before, and that was Sakuracon this past year.  I pretty much just walked around, took pictures, checked my schedule every once in a while and did anything that sounded interesting.  One thing you should do is to check out all the concerts, since you'll feel like you missed out if you don't.  Check the dealer's room early, all the good stuff that's actually a reasonable price goes pretty quick.  That's pretty much all I did, and I had a blast!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:18:47 pm »
My three rules for anime conventions:
[list=1]
  • Pre-register.
  • Stay at the hotel (share a room with friends for more fun and to save money).
  • When you get the schedule, study it and plan out your days so you get to attend as many events as possible.
  • [/list:o]
    I'm sure others will reply with more detailed lists, but there's a start.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Zetsu4200

• Cabbit
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:28:28 pm »
I have pre-registered and, luckily for me, I live pretty close to the con.  thanx for the advice

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 09:40:55 pm »
dont forget to eat!!!1
i know it sounds basic but..... yeah it really isn't at a con
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:43:16 pm »
I'm with Jaz - it's REALLY easy to forget about eating at a con. I've gone con days without eating.  :shock:

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:43:51 pm »
Shower. Not so important for you, but for the people you hope will call you friend.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:16 pm »
http://www.drunkensquirrel.net/foamy/show5/73
this pretty much covers the basic rules for a con
ps yup 2x on the food i remeber one con where no food would of been better then what we had which was "you can have some salami once you finish your candy bar and puddin cup" ooo the tummy ache
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Zetsu4200

• Cabbit
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 04:10:15 pm »
Thanx for the advice. I will plan on staying nourished.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 04:33:40 pm »
Read the Kumoricon Newsletter.
It's linked through the main page and actually has an article about the hotel and what its like going to the convention the first time.

Lots of good information.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 04:38:33 pm »
Shower and wear deodorant. Please. All of us suffer because of the few who do not observe these basic hygiene principles.

Stay hydrated, and wear a costume that is weather-appropriate, ie you won't die in your costume from heatstroke.

Don't spend more in the dealer's hall than you can afford. Set a budget for yourself in advance.

Bring a DS or PSP for downtime and line-waiting.

Don't forget to keep all your electronic gadgets charged. I try to give all of mine a full charge when I sleep so I don't have to worry too much about running out of juice in the middle of the day.

Don't go barefoot. It's illegal and dangerous to yourself.

Clean up after yourself if you make a mess of any sort.

Be considerate of others, and don't annoy or bother others. You expect everyone else to allow you to have a good time, don't you? They expect the same courtesy. Basically, apply the golden rule to every situation :D

Don't block the halls or entrances. People need to get through them, especially the people who are running the convention. The halls and doorways are also fire lanes so blocking them is illegal.

Please be patient with the staff. They might sound like they're yelling at you but they are probably just trying to yell over a loud crowd of people. Don't take it personally. If they are rude to you, it might be because they are running on too little sleep. Our staff inevitably do that. But if you can't brush it off, make sure you get their badge name and report them to the Info Desk or another staffer.

Some of these are rules in the convention policies so you may be stopped if you aren't observing them. IE if you are harassing someone else or if you are barefoot, probably not if you don't have a DS though.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
I am an Anime Con Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 06:12:19 pm »
<shameless plug>
VOLUNTEER to help out with the convention!
</shameless plug>

(Actually, I volunteered during my first convention and have been involved in every con in some way or other -- volunteer, panelist, staff-- I've attended since then. It's a great way to meet people and make friends. Besides, occasionally as a volunteer you'll get to spend special time with the guests   :D