Author Topic: DS Browser  (Read 5224 times)

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
DS Browser
« on: June 04, 2007, 06:49:53 pm »
Hey if any of you get the DS Browser (US version) could you tell me if its really worth getting?  I've been reading up on it and it looks interesting but currently it looks like it does not support flash so I'm a little worried that kills quite a lot of websites.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
DS Browser
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 04:48:41 pm »
Dude, I had BETTER be able to get my Strongbad emails!

Con Chair Meg is getting one this weekend, so I'll let you know what she thinks. The main draw for her is being able to use Google Maps for when she gets lost; that alone was enough to convince her to pre-order one.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
DS Browser
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:45:31 pm »
Cool.  I might just see this weekend if they have any left over at bestbuy.  Funny, now that I've seen the video that your avatar comes from I can't stop hearing it in my mind when I see it  :lol:

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
DS Browser
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:28:48 pm »
web browsers don't look like they're in short supply. I'll relay limitations as soon as I get in some input.
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
DS Browser
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 08:50:30 pm »
Yeah the only thing I was worried about hearing was it wouldn't support flash.  So I'm not sure how that will effect things.

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
DS Browser
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 07:20:22 pm »
Just thought to see if anybody had purchased the browser for the DS or DS lite yet?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
DS Browser
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 08:34:52 pm »
Meg finally got hers but hasn't spent any time with it yet. She probably will test it out tomorrow.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
DS Browser
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 09:06:45 pm »
Yeah I was thinking of getting it today but wanted to wait and see what others thought of it.

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
DS Browser
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 09:43:53 pm »
still no luck at anyone bringing it to the shop, and my manager hasn't bought his yet...
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
DS Browser
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 11:59:05 am »
So did anybody get it and has an opinion on its use.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
DS Browser
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 03:12:24 pm »
Meg and I got a copy for her DS. You can't google map with it but there are one or two sites, (including a mobile version of google maps somewhere on google's site) that will give you a list of directions. The best you can get, image-wise, is a thumbnail so it would be very difficult to implement a mapping program via the browser.

It's slow, but that's not the browser's fault, that's just the limitations of the hardware. You'll feel like you're on dial-up again, and realize how spoiled your broadband-connected PC has made you.

You can try to use the whole Internet, but it's clunky to try to read when the page is usually much larger than the 247 pixels the width of your screen gives you. However, there are some sites out there that are optimized for the DS and other mobile device browsing. There are also a few great portals for a whole bunch of mobile-optimized sites. dssites.com is a great one of these. wampad.com I think is one too.

We should be at Jaki's party this weekend so if anyone can make it we can try to let you test-drive it, else maybe even at the meeting if the Internets are plentiful.
2008 Facilities Liaison