Author Topic: A new pair of boots  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
A new pair of boots
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:54:46 pm »
I'm trying to get a few parts of my costume together, and I think the hardest thing to find/make are the boots. I'm looking for the flared down piratesk looking boot, preferabley with buckles. The catch is that they need to be red. Does anyone know of some good places to find or order oddly colored boots, or know of good ways to dye them if I can only find brown?
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
A new pair of boots
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:39:43 pm »
The only thing I can think of is a matte color spray paint. I think that would work out pretty well. Just be sure to spray carefully to avoid drips. I'm sure you can find the right color of red. And if not, then a little brown texture painting will spruce up your boots right up.

Then again, I'm not a pro, but good luck!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
A new pair of boots
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:49:34 am »
Spray paint, eh? Findable anywhere there's spray paint? Or does it take a special type?
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
A new pair of boots
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 05:44:06 pm »
yeah if your not to concerned with lastability then find some sort of pasable boot at good will and spray it.  the problem with this is it only looks good for a couple of hours.  the malliable nature of the leather dosent go well with spray paint and it always starts to flake off at the places that the shoe is bending.  but considering oftentimes the alternative is custom made shoesies touching up with paint gets more and more apealing.

there is leather die, but its kind of a to do and if you dont find real leather (and light enough to dye in the first place) i dunno i just dont think its the trouble.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
A new pair of boots
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 01:49:26 pm »
Alright... so the options are probably either spray paint em and touch em up during the Con, as a temporary thing, which is the safer bet.

Or try to find the right type of Dye and hope it all comes out alright, but could be the better look assuming everything works out good.

Hmmmm.... Thanks for the advice! Do you have any idea where you can find leather dye, preferably not online?

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
A new pair of boots
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:41:14 pm »
well theres oregon leather in downtown portland.  i think they are on 3rd somewhere not to far from the trade center. im pretty sure they have dye there, it would be a good place to start anyway.  

but yeah,  i mean im not sure exsactly what youre looking for or what your budget is but you might want to try www.cosworx.com they have an ok selection of shoes.  or www.dresslikeapirate.com  or you know www.zappos.com  you can search color and shoe style on there and if you can find something that you would wear anyway you might be able to justify spending a chunk of change on them.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
A new pair of boots
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:47:13 pm »
There is a type of spray dye for leather called "Nu-Life" by meltonian that you can find at shoe repair or leather supplies stores.  Nu-Life is more malliable than spray paint, it also works on plastic. On some cosplay forums they mention the spray paint for plastic flowers works well on PVC and Vinyl boots.  Cosworks has a lot of cheap PVC boot for 30 to 80

If only you could find some red boots at goodwill and knew some one with a heavy stitcher who cold sew piratey flaps on your boots, if only you knew some one who made boots mods for Santa that Santa has been reselling on the net

http://www.santaswardrobe.com/blktieboots_small1.jpg
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com