Author Topic: What draws you in  (Read 4661 times)

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
What draws you in
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:08:59 pm »
I was curious on what type of anime draws you in.  Why genre do you like the most.  What type of story lines, character types and such hook you when it comes to anime.

For me I'm more in to the fantasy types story lines.  I love the ones where somebody who isn't really that strong or courages finds themselves.  Ha that names quite alot.  I guess thats why I like anime.  So what do you like?

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
What draws you in
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:44:13 pm »
I'm actually into the comedic romance ones  :roll:
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What draws you in
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:46:43 pm »
I like comedy too. :)

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
What draws you in
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 06:48:58 pm »
I am very drawn to shoujo, it's all so pretty and romantic.  Anything with a good love story will get me to watch, even if it is mostly comedy with a good love story in the background like Ranma 1/2 then it gets me hooked ^^

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Re: What draws you in
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 09:47:31 pm »
Quote from: "jasonqdavis"
I was curious on what type of anime draws you in.  Why genre do you like the most.  What type of story lines, character types and such hook you when it comes to anime.

For me I'm more in to the fantasy types story lines.  I love the ones where somebody who isn't really that strong or courages finds themselves.  Ha that names quite alot.  I guess thats why I like anime.  So what do you like?

I like the ones with fantasy, Science fiction or Historical elements.  

And some of the writing of the ensemble high school and college shows reminds me of comedy movies from the 50's called office or Bedroom Comedy depending if it was set or home.  Full of tight character driven writing that I have not seen in the US since the modem office episodes  herc and Xena

And I like movies or short series as I don’t have time for the long series

And I also always like a story ware an unlikely hero rises to the occasion and wins by being smarter of bravery than the enemy.  That’s one of the reason I don’t write storys about big guys mostly chick action movie outlines.  You always know the exact outcome of the movie with an Arnold or a Rambo and even Buffy and Xena were too over the top, ther side kicks showed more realistic growth as a hero.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
What draws you in
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:25:43 am »
I really like the action ones (bleach inuyasha, blood+) but also some of the more serious movies at times, I liked spirited away and grave of the fireflies.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What draws you in
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 10:08:05 am »
i like  cute stuff that has a good story like i just bought first copy of karin and the melencly of haruhi.., but i also like stuff thats just crazey like flcl
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
What draws you in
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:55:03 am »
most of what i like is action(as u can see from my avatar i like bleach) and from time to time some of the love stories (like ai yori aoshi)
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
What draws you in
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 11:01:36 am »
Comedy is number one.
Action is number two.

Turn offs are emo heroes who never get over themeselves. This is about 2/3 of the guys out there. The rest either don't get emotional or use their anger to fuel their fighting (a la DBZ).

As for the anime I actually end up buying, yeesh, that's just sort of random. The main collections I have are Azumanga Daioh and Evangelion. That both confirms and refutes the above statements, eh?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What draws you in
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 11:07:02 am »
shiny colors too!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
What draws you in
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 12:17:45 pm »
*thinks about Gantz* I get into anime because of action, and crazy powers and such.

*thinks about ouran high hosting club* Or maybe the cute romantic comedies? ACK! I don't think I have a standard, it just needs to entertain me.
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What draws you in
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 12:31:47 pm »
I tend to be drawn to the cute high school comedies, like Azumanga Daioh and Doki Doki School Hours. I also like the really dark, original and creative pieces though, like Requiem from the Darkness and Wolf's Rain. A nice range, and I'm not that picky.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
What draws you in
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 01:38:16 pm »
Im picky as HELL.

I dont like
 anime that has a lot of fanservice.
 fricken nasty ass 'suggetive' loli anime
 romantic comedies
 serious romance stories
 serious dark/bloody anime
 overly cute crap
 I dislike pretty much all yaoi manga and few anime    
because theyre fugly and  nothing but sap ( sad, cuz do like yaoi)
 anything by CLAMP ( with the exception of RG Veda which was never finished)
crappy characters. Characters make or breack a show for me.

I seem like a 'newb' cuz my fave are shows like naruto and bleach. Shonen I guess.

I like them because theyre a nice, happy medium. Theyre serious AND they have a lot of comedy.
Enough battles to keep it moving, but always for a reason with a lot of character development thrown in.
I like a lot of the charactors and most them are pretty deep.
Very little fanservice, and always funny, not just to be there.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
What draws you in
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 02:52:39 pm »
I will pretty much give any anime a try but the kind I like the most is the Psychological/Mystery kind :3 Like Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Higurashi no naku koro ni, Texnolyze, ect.

Anything that isn't easy to predict that you can watch over and over again and realize something new each time. The kind of stuff that gets you're brain working~
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What draws you in
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 03:11:09 pm »
boogiepop and I are pretty much in agreement on this one.  I like anything which poses a serious intellectual challenge.  Series of that nature usualy use the plot and characters as a means to deliver an idea to the viewer, and focus less on the outcomes than a typically plot-driven series.  To boogiepop's list, I'd add Haibane Renmei (IMO, the best anime ever) Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex, and EVA.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
What draws you in
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 03:45:30 pm »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"
boogiepop and I are pretty much in agreement on this one.  I like anything which poses a serious intellectual challenge.  Series of that nature usualy use the plot and characters as a means to deliver an idea to the viewer, and focus less on the outcomes than a typically plot-driven series.  To boogiepop's list, I'd add Haibane Renmei (IMO, the best anime ever) Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex, and EVA.

::{thumbs up}:: Kudos for you man :3~ All the other anime you mentioned were really really awesome series. Especially Haibane Renmei ::{<3 that series to no end}::
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
What draws you in
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 04:19:22 pm »
Clever exaggeration, deep characters and storylines, creative and original plots.

I'm not picky or anything. :roll:

Offline sophic_proxy

• Oni
What draws you in
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 08:55:34 pm »
Mm, I have pretty varying taste in manga/anime. I think I like a series as long as the plot is interesting, there are a couple characters that are interesting or that I like, and it gives me something to think about. I tend to like more seinen, psychological, historical, or steampunk type manga/anime, but I'll try anything once and there are a bunch of shoujo, shounen, yaoi, and yuri I like too. Humor is also a definite plus but only if it isn't corny/cliche/just plain stupid. :D

Let's see.. My "All-Time Favorites" list is
--Revolutionary Girl Utena (anime series, NOT the movie; I haven't read the manga yet.)
--Planetes (I like the anime better.)
--Death Note (Both the manga and anime are totally awesome.)
--Ergo Proxy (The ending was... :? but I really loved the series.)
--Hellsing (manga and OVA. The anime was good for the music. :roll: )
--Code Geass (I haven't read the manga...)
--Ghost in the Shell: SAC (both seasons of the series and Solid State Society)
--Evangelion (haven't read the manga...)
--Sex Pistols (licensed under the title "Love Pistols" in the States)
--Fullmetal Alchemist (manga. The anime was OK.  :roll: )
--Gintama (I haven't read the manga yet.)

And I've started reading Welcome to the NHK. It's pretty awesome and I think it'll probably end up on this list too.

Offline Zetsu4200

• Cabbit
What draws you in
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 09:09:36 pm »
I like action, mystery, and suspense-ish manga and anime
If at first you don't succeed, you fail.