Author Topic: Parking for those checking out on Monday...what do we do?  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Chek

• Chibi
    • Cheklov's Stupidblog
Parking for those checking out on Monday...what do we do?
« on: May 09, 2007, 09:13:43 pm »
I understand parking is $8, or more if you get a valet to do it, but is it $8 a day? Or for the length of your stay? How many cars can a room have to it's name?

And if we have to check out by noon on Monday, for example, will we still be able to park in the parking garage until the very end of the con?

Sorry, this stuff has been worrying me.

Offline Cpl. Slicks

• Cabbit
Re: Parking for those checking out on Monday...what do we do
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:21:23 am »
Quote from: "DLoki"
I understand parking is $8, or more if you get a valet to do it, but is it $8 a day?

Pretty sure it's per day...

Or for the length of your stay?

Definately per day.

How many cars can a room have to it's name?
That's a good question. Normally a couple to three is not unheard of, but  I'd say for the benefit of your fellow attendees, who will also have to be using the same garage, I'd do what you can to limit it to one car per room. Carpooling is not only fun, but environmentally, and fiscally, friendly.

And if we have to check out by noon on Monday, for example, will we still be able to park in the parking garage until the very end of the con?

Yes, pretend it's like you were visiting any other building with a pay garage.

Sorry, this stuff has been worrying me.

It happens

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:33:08 am »
Actually, we are converting the parking garage into the exhibitors' hall, so there is NO parking in the hotel parking garage. There is plenty of on-street parking that is free on the weekends and holidays, and two parking garages a few blocks away that will also be free.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:40:27 am »
Quote from: "guspasho"
Actually, we are converting the parking garage into the exhibitors' hall, so there is NO parking in the hotel parking garage. There is plenty of on-street parking that is free on the weekends and holidays, and two parking garages a few blocks away that will also be free.

uhh... are you serious?
It's hard being pinq.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:49:44 am »
Yes. Come and see the hotel at the June general meeting, there will probably be a tour. The parking garage will hold about 150 tables, which means our dealers' room will be three times as large as last year. Unfortunately it's the only place available to us for a dealers' hall at this hotel.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:57:19 am »
Yes. Come and see the hotel at the June general meeting, there will probably be a tour. The parking garage will hold about 150 tables, which means our dealers' room will be three times as large as last year. Unfortunately it's the only place available to us for a dealers' hall at this hotel.

Well, I live in seattle, and gas prices aren't friendly. I would like to see the garage myself, but I'm curious how that's going to look, will it be echoey? stuffy? enough lighting? Is it fluorescents? Will there be oil slicks?
It's hard being pinq.

Offline seiryuu

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:01:50 am »
the whole parking garage? the hotel allowed this even with non-conventioners staying during those days? and uh, parking garage? you sure people won't die of co2 poisoning in there?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 11:08:54 am »
The garage is plenty ventilated, so no, no one is going to get CO2 poisoning. It's also new so there's hardly any oil slicks if any at all. It will also probably be carpeted, I expect, as well as well-lit. We're spending a lot of money to convert it into a space suitable for a dealers' hall, so I imagine it includes all that stuff.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 01:03:55 pm »
I'll see that we take some pics and post them to show you k?
i will put it on pocky club agenda
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 02:29:33 pm »
wow, well it everything bought at the con smells like exhaust that'll be interesting.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Chek

• Chibi
    • Cheklov's Stupidblog
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 05:11:38 pm »
Well, I'm seriously glad that I asked about this...I had no clue, and would have been really screwed up on 8/31 if I hadn't known.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 05:50:58 pm »
OK, there's a bit of confusion again. This was sorted out once awhile back but it looks like it has started back up.

First of all I will refer you to my lovely maps (I love them, oh yes I do!)
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/maps.html

Second, the Exhibitor's Hall is the basement level parking garage of the Hilton. There is a small area on the north end that is not filled with tables. The only cars parked down there will be those belonging to vendors so they can unload easier. Those vehicles will not be allowed out for the duration of the convention. They will roll out Monday night when the con closes. The Exhibitor's hall will not be fille with exhaust fumes at any point during the convention. Every part of the hotel has state of the art fumigation and filtration systems to maintain a clean and pleasant atmosphere (yes, this also includes automatic AC and air freshening in the gaming room). Also, it has insulated ceilings to keep the noise level down so that's another thing not to worry about.

Next, and most importantly, the hotel will provide the same price for guest parking (regular and valet, ooh!) at the underground lot across the street. This lot will also be open to the public. Both hotel guests and other attendees will have daily fees, the guests will be charged at check out while the other attendees will pay each day.

The Parking lot is marked on the map of Vancouver. The above information has been verified with hotel staff.

If the parking lot across the street is filled (very likely) the parking meters in the area are free on weekends and there are several lots nearby that will be available.

Parking is nothing to worry about. Getting a "good spot" if you leave the conspace is a different story.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline kyonichi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »
Quote from: "PinqFuu"

Well, I live in seattle, and gas prices aren't friendly. I would like to see the garage myself, but I'm curious how that's going to look, will it be echoey? stuffy? enough lighting? Is it fluorescents? Will there be oil slicks?

I live in Tacoma, and I'm planning on trying to make it down for either the June or the July meeting...  If you would like to hitch a ride, I'm sure something could be arranged.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 11:28:44 pm »
pocky club checked out the grage whle there, it seemed pretty clean and didnt smell bad
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 11:45:54 pm »

When tom first made his map he said something like this parking garage was only used by the hotel for the staff cars and vans and the hotel had another one for customers
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline loroo

• Oni
Re: Parking for those checking out on Monday...what do we do?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 09:21:27 pm »

What about those of us in wheelchairs or with limited mobility?

Also, parking at the meters IS NOT FREE on Saturday.  There is also a farmer's market in the area that manages to draw a rather large crowd and is open Labor Day Weekend (but not Monday).  And, from previous experience I know the meter readers are very dedicated to their jobs.  You MUST move your car (they mark tires) if your meter expires.

One last note, on Saturday there's a BIG party planned in Esther Short Park:

150th Community Picnic to celebrate Vancouver's 150th year of being a city. Music, pie-eating contest, baking contests, 3-legged races, and more.

Parking is going to be more than a small pain in the a..  Now add a wheelchair on top of it...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:53:09 pm by loroo »

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 09:38:45 pm »

What about those of us in wheelchairs or with limited mobility?

You should talk to the hotel. They can tell you how they can accommodate you, but explain to them that we had booked the parking garage for our event, because I'm sure they will forget otherwise.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:45 am »
Well that is a good question.  How will the saturday market they have their effect our con?  Just from the meeting it does take up quite alot of the parking around the park.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 01:29:26 pm »
Ahhhh.... so there IS going to be an event in the park on Labor Day. I'd been asking about that and getting no info. Thanks loroo!

In the primary parking lot (the underground one across the street) there is a private level past a gate. the rumor I heard (from locals, not con staff) was that it was for people who paid extra and lived or worked in the buildings above the garage. I know the hotel doesn't think about it too much but there's bound ot be section of parking set aside specifically for the valet parking vehicles. It would be very nice if they secured a large part of the parking garage specifically for the hotel but somehow I doubt their arrangement with the parking garage company is so thorough.

Just another thing for us to pressure them for (we're also working on the internet access through their wireless service).
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 10:13:44 pm »
Reminds me when I went to Sakura con this year.  Got there and the hotels parking was completly filled.  They had made arrangments with a hotel down the street.  3 blocks down the street.  Sometimes you wonder if these hotels keep track of how many people are staying at their hotel and how many parking spots they need for them.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 10:52:08 am »
oh my, I wish I could have gotten to sakuracon without a car, finding a place to put it was such a pain!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 01:04:46 pm »
Parking at things like conventions is always going to be tricky because most attendees will end up rooming with someone else, and even if they could carpool, many can't because they pack so much gear. With four people to a room to economy cars from 1995 packed to the gills is still two cars for one hotel room. This year is special because not only are we downtown so there's not a large open air parking lot out front (which we've only had twice for this convention) but the USUAL parking has been converted into the Exhibitor's hall.

The funny thing to me is that if you don't want t use your car during the convention you actually have it pretty easy. Just find a spot in the garage and never let it go.

In case it wasn't mentioned. Vendors ( and I think Artists' Alley people) will be able to park in a small back part of the Exhibitors' hall so you can unload things easier. If you want to leave your vehicl there the whole convention then that can be arranged. However from Friday night to Monday afternoon Pezzer's car will be blocking the entrance driveway so not only will you not be allowed to leave, you'll be physically unable to.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 08:41:07 am »

Also, parking at the meters IS NOT FREE on Saturday. 

There is also a farmer's market in the area that manages to draw a rather large crowd and is open Labor Day Weekend (but not Monday).  And, from previous experience I know the meter readers are very dedicated to their jobs.  You MUST move your car (they mark tires) if your meter expires.

I'm not sure what you are talking about but parking IS free on Saturdays.  It always has been.  I have lived in Vancouver for 2 years and have spent many a Saturday downtown in the FREE WEEKEND metered parking and since Satruday is part of the weekend we are covered.

In terms of the Farmer's Market, Sarah and I have already talked to the owner as part of our Street Team duties and there are just two streets that you cannot part on Friday night because it will cause you to get towed on Saturday if you park there.  And that is Esther Street, the street that the Farmer's Market is on, directly in front of the main farmer's market building as well as the circle area at the end of esther street close to the entrance of the Hilton (please refer to Tom's map of the area if you don't know where these are located).  So DO NOT park in these areas on friday night and you should be golden for the weekend.

Yes farmers market and the event being held on Saturday will have an effect on the available parking on Saturday morning but both end pretty early in the day.  Vancouver downtown is rather large and very closeknit so you will be able to find parking, trust me.  You may need to walk a bit but you will find parking.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 08:43:13 am by leashy »

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 08:59:29 am »
Map!

Kylite has informed me that the squarish building next to the econolodge is a (mostly) public parking garage with several levels, each space is metered but as we've found, the days of the con will be complimentary.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:06:37 am »
Map!

Kylite has informed me that the squarish building next to the econolodge is a (mostly) public parking garage with several levels, each space is metered but as we've found, the days of the con will be complimentary.

Yes that is monthly paid parking as well as parking for the Regal Cinemas next door, but you are correct, it should be free for the weekend and it has LOTS of spots

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 09:13:48 am »
Yes that is monthly paid parking as well as parking for the Regal Cinemas next door, but you are correct, it should be free for the weekend and it has LOTS of spots

???
Where is Regal on the map again? I thought it was a couple blocks north of there.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 09:29:55 am »
???
Where is Regal on the map again? I thought it was a couple blocks north of there.

The Regal Cinemas is that giganto square building on C street between 7th and 8th street and across the street from the regal is a huge parking deck for the cinemas and Vanc downtown so I believe we are talking about the same parking deck, but maybe there are two ^^

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 09:53:14 am »
OK, I see, we're both right. On the map, you'r talking about the lot above the Econolodge and I'm talking about the one below.

To get to the one kylite told me about you have to loop around and use 5th street, he said it was attached to (and the bottom floor was reserved by) a bank.

Someone should go check the 4th street area behind and to the left of the Hilton to see if we can use that lot. It looks big.

On a somewhat related note, I hope the construction next door takes up less room by the convention!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 10:25:05 am »
You could talk to the Columbian about that. They're a newspaper so they shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of ;)

Publicity may already have a point of contact for you.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 03:19:49 pm »
You could talk to the Columbian about that. They're a newspaper so they shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of ;)

What is this post in reference to?  ???
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 03:25:14 pm »

What is this post in reference to?  ???

Sorry, it was a reference to this:

On a somewhat related note, I hope the construction next door takes up less room by the convention!

The building being constructed next door is for the Columbian newspaper.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline loroo

• Oni
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 01:43:49 pm »
Also, parking at the meters IS NOT FREE on Saturday. 

Clarification, according to the City of Vancouver, street metered parking is FREE on the weekend but the parking garages (like that diagonally across from the hotel), including those with meters, ARE NOT free.

I spoke with Heather (360-619-1154) and she confirmed with her supervisor that the stalls in the parking garage nearest the hotel are fee, not free, for the weekend.  They are, however, free on Monday.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 03:12:32 pm »
Maybe you guys should start a new parking thread in every frickin section of the forum.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 03:41:30 pm »
What another one was started?

My only concern and I'll just ask the hotel when I get their early early friday is if I get something to put on my windshield that says I'm staying at the hotel when I park in the garage diagnal to the hotel.  Reason being that my reservation says I will be paying for parking so it would be stup for me to pay the hotel and pay the parking garage.  We shall see.