Author Topic: seeking a seamstress  (Read 11677 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
seeking a seamstress
« on: May 16, 2004, 05:33:40 pm »
i'm hoping to connect with someone who would like to be paid to make cosplay clothes. specifically there are outfits i have in mind either from card captor sakura (series) and/or from utena (series). i hope this is the right forum for this thread? i would love to learn how to sew but i presently would lack the time.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 11:18:44 pm »
Heck, I think that anyone that knows how to sew would be wise to post if they're available for contracting. I know two seamstresse and one isn't dependable and the other lives two hours away.

I am very interested in finding somebody I can pay for my costuming.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 12:11:12 am »
Dash can sew! :D

But I live between Salem and Portland so I don't know if I would be able to help you.  I do however have access to industrial sewing machines! Talk about heavy duty... and now back to my sewing homework....

Keep me in mind if the distance does't matter. I'm happy to help.
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007
I wanted everyone to survive the con.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 12:17:44 am »
Quote from: "DashtheGnome"

Excellent!
I am in Forest Grove (west end of the Portland 'burbs) so Portland is closer than Eugene. If you show up at the (dubious) meeting next Sunday maybe we'll talk. I'm looking for at least two costumes at the moment so it's likely you'd have some business!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 09:21:26 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Quote from: "DashtheGnome"

Excellent!
I am in Forest Grove (west end of the Portland 'burbs) so Portland is closer than Eugene. If you show up at the (dubious) meeting next Sunday maybe we'll talk. I'm looking for at least two costumes at the moment so it's likely you'd have some business!
and i will be at that meeting!

Dash = unemployed art student ( :D Apparel) we can descuss if i can do it. I'll have to bring something I made to show off my nifty skills though.  

8O  :twisted:  8O <-(don't ask)  i'm just in a crazy mood
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 10:39:32 pm »
have you sewn cosplay clothes, or other costume/garb wear, specifically, before? could you perhaps post or pm us links of some of your work? are you familiar with sakura and/or utena? do you require for folks to provide you with patterns and/or materials? what kind of turn around time do you offer? do you need to physically measure someone? or could another take our measurements for you? what are your rates?

hoping to meet you, dash the gnome hee hee neato name hee hee
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 03:02:47 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
have you sewn cosplay clothes, or other costume/garb wear, specifically, before? could you perhaps post or pm us links of some of your work? are you familiar with sakura and/or utena? do you require for folks to provide you with patterns and/or materials? what kind of turn around time do you offer? do you need to physically measure someone? or could another take our measurements for you? what are your rates?

hoping to meet you, dash the gnome hee hee neato name hee hee

I will be bringing some things i have made to the meeting, i feel it is better to discuss in person unless you can not make it. unfortunately i do not have anything (except my cloak) posted anywhere.  i will find a link to the pic if i can.

No i have not yet sewn anything for cosplay, i just learned about cosplay a month before SakuraCon '04.

unfortunately i am not familiar with much anime at all, i am sheltered in that fact but i could work off pics.

patternd make things easier but are not necessary I am learning how to make my own in school. (i fear i am underqualified for that you ask) you may want to keep seeking if i am not what you are looking for.

thanks for the compliment on my name
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 06:30:22 pm »
hm, thanks for all the detail. sadly, it will be awhile before i can meet you. i'm working sunday, in eugene.

if i can find some online location displaying the items i'm aspiring towards, i'll send you a link.

i might see if there is anyone more local. it is highly unlikely there are patterns out there. however, i might be able to do something like have someone local make patterns, and still hire you to sew them? right?

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
Props
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 11:04:31 am »
I'd be happy to try and help with props and wot.  I'm not the best in the world, but small things like Necklaces, Hair Bows and Geta shoes I can do.  Little things to complete the costume.  ^_^  Dunno if either of these are things that you're looking for....but hopefully if they let me have a booth, I'll be able to display some of these.  ^_^  But if you need something like this before hand, maybe we can barter something?

-ko

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 12:35:39 pm »
i'm into barter
what are those shoes like?

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Shoes
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 11:48:15 am »
They're just the traditional japanese style shoes-- the ones with the two ha?  Ehh, go watch Spirited Away-- almost all of the spirits have them on.  ^_^  

-ko

EDIT:  I don't think that these shoes will be good for the costumes that you seek, but oh well, twas a thought!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 11:34:39 pm »
Darn.......
 I talked to Dash about costuming at the meeting and we're going to be working out more details later, her garb looks good (and it's not just dresses!) and I'm looking forward to getting the costume together!
Anyway, I say darn because Is got excited when I heard somebody dealt with shoes.
Edgar Figaro has white boots on and I have a feeling that's going to be a hard part of the costume.

Then again, I can always put on some Nikes and say they're "Sprint Shoes". Heh heh heh. Hmmm.... I need to make that post in the FF6 Cosplay thread.....
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 11:03:49 am »
Did you check out like, hot topic?  The webpage has loads of shoes.  You could always get black shoes then laquer them white.  That Krylon plasticpaint stuff that just came out works wonders on like....everything.  Yeah, your shoes'll stink...but....don't shoes stink anyways?  ^__^  Take and put tape over the parts you don't want to paint, then go to town.

S'what my brother did.  Works well.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 12:03:35 am »
Thanks Ruriko, I'll keep that in mind.
Dash, just so you know, all of the research I've done points to Edgar having a cape and not a coat.
On page 2 and page three of this site's gallery they have original concept art for Edgar. I'm going to be posting the links for the other FF6 cosplayers elsewhere.

So the big challenge now is a breastplate with shoulder panels, a cape that comes down off the shoulders and has a stiff collar. The problem is there's different pictures of him with the collar as part of the cape or part of the plates.

So now does anyone know where we can get some costume armor to integrate into the costume?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 09:00:59 pm »
Make your own, out of something stiff and workable...like high-quality cardboard, art board, paperboard, disposable cookie sheets, craft foam, papier-mache, wood, the old cloth-chicken-wire-and-spray-glue gambit, or even...if you have a friend with the know-how...real metal!

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Eqqplant

• Cabbit
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 10:45:35 pm »
Actually, I've been reading about making things out of felt lately and it looks pretty versitile too. Here's a site that talks a bit about it but there aren't many pictures: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dhell/diy.htm
Recently thought it might be a fun substitute for armor that's light and workable. Just need some good finishes.
Yeah, trivia at it's finest.
Imagine Engrish all day everyday!

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 04:33:19 pm »
Moldable Styrofoam.  Check out Art Media.  ^_^  I don't know if they have it there, but they've got so much crap that you're bound to find out something!!  The can also maybe point you towards something that would work.  I'd check out the styrofoam bit tho, there is a chickie I know on Cosplay.com who did the Sesshomaru *sp?* costume from Inu Yasha-- It has a breastplate and an arm band and wot...It's really neat.  She used like, PVC and moldable syrofoam/plastic stuff.  Wish I knew more details, but she didn't say much.  Apologies!!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2004, 02:40:00 am »
Since I'm not looking for style points in my costume, could you Portland people tell me th best costume shops for purchasing around here?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 12:27:27 pm »
RemSaverem, around June 25th I will be passing by Eugene, I could take some of what I have made with me and meet you if it is convenient. It is a friday, but I don't know the area very well.  I make this proposal because I dont have the equipment to photograph and post pics of the things I have sewn.

It's just an idea.
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 05:52:20 pm »
OK, I went and got some pictures for us via google findings. Here they are on one big slow web page.

http://loyalfanboy.20megsfree.com/finalfantasy.html

I've got one for Locke and some for Edgar and Setzer. I'll be getting some more Locke and Celes later. I'll post this at the FF6 cosplay thread too.

So what parts of the costume could you do Dash?I think the collar pieces are armour and not cape so the cape just got even easier!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 09:37:36 pm »
dash: that sounds awesome!

i will be off work around 5 pm that day

as we get closer to that time, pm me for my cell phone and directions :)

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2004, 01:13:27 am »
RemSaverem,
Great! I look forward to it!  I have finals the 14th and 17th so I will have more time to work things out after that, and I may not be on the boards much between now and then.

TomtheFanboy,
Did you want to further discuss the cape? and by what I saw in those pics it looks really easy. I have a small list of fabric store too if you are still having trouble finding what you are looking for.

both keep in touch
i check my e-mail daily, sometimes if i don't even have time!
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2004, 03:38:44 am »
Absolutely Dash.
I'm talking with a friend about helping with a costume for the Inu Yasha group right now, once I get done working out a deal with her I'll figure out how much of the costume we'll discuss. She'll help me get a feel of prices on fabrics.

My goal for my costume is to be a better Edgar than this guy.
http://caspar.homelinux.org/conventions/grab_image.php?id=10251&type=1&conid=14&cs_start=40

I just need to make sure the armored breastplat and shoulders are good, after that the rest can be slapped together fairly easily don't you think?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

i amDashthegnome

seeking a seamstress
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 09:07:34 pm »
i have been having many difficulties with my computer which will not allow me to even check my email. hopfully it will be cleared up withing the week.

Rem Saverem, i will have a friend of mine send you a pm for me being my computer won't allow me to sign in and i hope we can work out a time to meet i'll be headed south friday June 25. i hope things will work out.

Dash the gnome

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 07:11:22 pm »
Ack! no wonder!
I've sent a private message and wondered if you were still interested in doing the costume thing.

What I wanted to know is when a good time to meet would be, maybe I could meet at a fabric store or something to look at stuff. I've figured out that I need a cape with a ear height collar and a shirt with parts that hang to the sides of the belt. The armor and boots I'll need to get from somebody else.

Hmmm.... I'll hafta go check Stargate costumes for a prop sword and stuff. They're the closest out here in Forest Grove.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 10:12:40 pm »
dash, have i missed you? i did not get any pm. bummer. well, i am now working 2 jobs and actually have some play money so we can see if there is anything we could work out?

i am hoping for advice, there are lots of cute wigs out there but i have slightly longish hair, what does one do to fit it into a wig?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
seeking a seamstress
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2004, 10:42:00 pm »
i never got my costume made, but just this week, i finally got the dvd of the episode i had in mind, from sakura; so i'll work on it for next year.